MAC Sheertone Blush Pink Swoon (Sheertone finish discontinued) [DISCONTINUED]

4.4

I bought this last week. I was about to walk away without it since the SA was on the phone making weekend plans and studiously ignoring me. But that bright pink was speaking to me so I waited for a while, gave her THE LOOK, and immediately waited again. (Oh, yeah, I'm not afraid to get rough.) When she finally rolled her eyes, put down the phone, and strolled listlessly over to wait on me - I was ready to go,so I didn't bother trying it on. Usually that's a return waiting to happen, but this was a wonderful surprise when I got home. It looks very bright in the pot, but on my very pale skin it gives a nice healthy glow - without shine. A nice sheer flush of color, and it lasts all day for me. I like it so much, I'm going back to get one for my daughter. But this time I'm definitely NOT going to just stand there like a moron while the SA chats on the phone. I'm bringing a book to read.

*Click on "Continued>>" to view pics / full review*

At a Glance:
Price: RM70 / US$18 / Rs 1080
Website: Maccosmetics.com
Weight: 6 g 0.21 US oz
Made in: Italy
Ingredients: Talc, Polymethycrylate, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Octyldodecyl Lactate, Silica, Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Zinc Stearate, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin [+ / - Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI77163), Blue 1 Lake (CI42090), Carmine (CI75470), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI77289), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI77288), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI77510), Manganese Violet (CI77742), Red 6 (CI15850), Red 6 Lake (CI15850), Red 7 (CI15850), Red 7 Lake (CI15850), Red 30 (CI73360), Red 30 Lake (CI73360), Ultramarines (CI77007), Yellow 5 Lake (CI19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI15985)]

Product Description:

Exclusive to the M∙A∙C Manish collection. A Powder Blush in an orange compact featuring the colourful patterning specially created by designer, Manish Arora, for this brilliant namesake collection. Limited edition.

Actual Product Pic:

Pigmentation & Color (Plus Swatches! :D):

This color is described as Clearly Pink on the website, which is just what it is! This is a sheertone, so it goes on sheerly, but it's definitely buildable! It gives me a very natural flush minus all the shimmers, which is really lovely for a natural look!

Swatch from the Mac Website:

Actual Color:

Packaging:

This blush comes in the regular MAC flip-top pot, but with the lovely heart motive exclusive to the Manish Aurora collection!

I love the box too! This has got to be the most elaborate collection ever in my two year addiction of MAC! :D

Check out the lovely dotted swirls in the box! :D

Texture:
As with MAC blushes, the texture for this one is really smooth!! :D

Time Test:
This blush (being a sheertone), lasts about 6 hours on my cheeks before it starts to fade, which is ok.

Price & Availability:
This product is priced at RM70 / US$18, which is the same as the regular blushes. This shade is part of the permenant line, so no worries if you missed out on this collection! This special packaging is LE though! This blush is available at all MAC counters / Pro Stores / Maccosmetics.com

Usage:
I use this blush whenever i don't want to look to made up! It's really natural!! :)

My $0.02:
I never thought i could ever wear a pink blush! I always stuck to peachy blushes like my life depended on them, lol! I fell in love with this immediately when i first used it!! It looks really pretty on and oh so natural!! This, along with the Blooming blush from the Cult of Cherry collection has to be the best blushes of this year!! :D

In a Nutshell:

A lovely pink blush that looks really natural on!

Likes: Lovely packaging and color!
Gripes: None!
Repurchase: Yes!

Rating:
4.5 Stars ! Near HG Stuff!!

Credits: Product photo from Specktra.net. Swatch from Maccosmetics.com continued >>

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So after reading about this here on MUA I was majorly lemming this like no other. I ran out to Rite Aid to scour the makeup aisles for any pretty, girly pink flushed cheek effect that people have talked about from Pink Swoon, and I came home with CoverGirl's Classic Pink cheekers blush since it reminded me of the pictures of Pink Swoon I saw online! When I swatched it, it was a really bright, candy pink sheen with just a hint of peach. I wasn't sure if I nailed a Pink Swoon dupe just yet so I went out and got it a day later. When I opened up the packaging, I noticed that it looked just like the bright, peppy pink from CoverGirl's Classic Pink :O! So I swatched them side by side and they look almost identical and they give the same *fresh, girly, bright* look. I even asked my sister if she could tell the difference between the two and she said not really, but she liked the Pink Swoon better since it's matte and not as warm as the CoverGirl one.

So the CoverGirl one in "Classic Pink" is good if:
-you're on a budget (it's ranges from 3-4 bucks)
-you like blushes with a sheen
-you want a warmer version of Pink Swoon

I prefer Pink Swoon in the end because
-it's completely matte
-it's got a smoother texture, almost like a cream! But it's powder of course.
-it's SLIGHTLY more cooler than the CoverGirl one, which i wanted since 99% of my blushes are either orange or peachy. I was looking for a cool-toned (but this isn't even super cool-toned though! I can see it working for ALL skintones, yellow to pink, fair to dark!), dolly, girly blush and I found it with Pink Swoon. I'm so happy with this blush, I smile every time I look in the mirror. Well Dressed is next on my list :D
EDIT 9/30/10: OK so when I found out that Sonia Kashuk actually had a dupe of Pink Swoon, I went out and bought it ("Flamingo"). AND IT'S A BETTER VERSION OF THE PINK SWOON! You want pretty pink, dolly, innocent girly looking cheeks?! Get the Sonia Kashuk one in Flamingo! It's everything Pink Swoon is but better because it's even cuter (because it's slightly cooler toned and less brighter) and cheaper! MAC is $20, SK is $9. You do the math :)

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Hands down for one of my favourite pink blush ever! (if not favourite! but am still trying to decide between this and Chanel Turbulent!)
I'm one of those on whom pink turns red (did swap MAC Dollymix away because of this as well as Nars Mata Hari)(NC30 here); but this one won't do that, as its sheer and subtle texture stays that way all day long.
It's a truly doll-ish pink blush in the true sense of word with totally matte texture; this makes it wearable with strong lip make up.
Strongly advise for sheer and light blush concept fans!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Pink is my favourite colour for pretty much everything! I think pink makeup can really brighten up the face whilst still making you look fairly understated. I get a little frustrated at some makeup artists who stereotype Asians to wearing dark berry shades, you can wear pink, but it's a case of continually searching until you find the right shade.

Pink Swoon is my favourite pink blush, and I've tried quite a few! It look's bright pink in the pan but as it's a sheertone blush it's actually quite subtle. I'm of Asian (Pakistani) origin (NC40), so have to apply quite a bit to show up but it's nice and subtle. Lighter-toned skins won't need to apply too much. I'll always use this :-)

Click on 'continued' to see my pink makeup (Pink Swoon Blush & Long Stem Rose Slimshine both by Mac).

continued >>

Surprisingly amazing on pale girls. Lightly done, it looks like Emmy Rossum in "Phantom of the Opera." A heavier hand will make it look like Kirsten Dunst in "Marie-Antoinette." It's the blush that people will notice in a good way. Not a "Wow, you're wearing blush" way, but a "You've got such pretty coloring" way.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this blush. If i want to compare it to something else i would say this is the powder version of posietint by benetit, such a cool/mauve light pink color.. goes very well with my NC30-35 skin. This has become an everyday staple for me.. a tiny bit of foundation mixed with moisturizer, a light dusting of bronzer all over and this over the cheeks and you have the prettiest spring look. a favorite.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

*PIC* My favourite BABY PINK shade. Looks bright in the compact, but goes on so soft and quite subtle. I find I can layer this on and not look clownish at all- which is a good thing as I tend to over do it with blush! Lovely smooth matte texture also, huge thumbs up!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This was not good on me. I'm cool toned NW15-20 paleface. First of all, I had to apply a TON of product to get it to show up on me. I had to apply so much that I ended up with a powdery mess before I stepped out the door. I got to work and check my face in the florescent lights...this blush disappeared. Good thing I keep cheapo drugstore blushes at my desk for touchups.

Pink Swoon is gorgeous in the pan, and I love the name. I wish I had swooned over it, but I didn't.

This is going back to MAC

I've been telling myself that I don't need more blush and I definitely don't need more that's similar to a shade I already own, but I couldn't resist Pink Swoon.

In the pot, it's a strong bubblegum/dolly pink. On my NW20 skin, it goes on very natural and gives me the pink flushed cheeks that make me look like I just came in from the cold (without the red nose). Applied with a heavier hand, it's sort of porcelain doll meets French courtesan (in the best possible way).

Like all the sheertone blushes I've tried, Pink Swoon layers beautifully and blends in well rather than giving that "I'm wearing blush" look. It also layers beautifully with my Guerlain Bubble Blush in Rose Chamallow (a lighter bubblegum pink) and increases the depth and life of both if I wear them together.

PROS: (1) natural, healthy looking flush without looking made up; (2) easily buildable; (3) versatile.

CONS: (1) very pink, so it may not be suitable for someone with darker skin; (2) easy to over-do it if you're not careful.