Essie Splash of Grenadine

Essie Splash of Grenadine
splash of grenadineEssie Touch of Grenadine

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a deep lilac creme - very pinkish purple, or very purplish pink, depending on your perspective. This is the kind of shade I'm always attracted to, even though they're questionable against my warm skintone. That being said, Splash of Grenadine was a winner for me. I got multiple compliments on it while trying to decide whether it makes my hands look dirty, and no one *ever* notices my polish, so that convinced me. It has that Barbie vibe, if you're into that - as to me, I never moved past the late 80s/early 90s aesthetic, so Splash of Grenadine lends extra pleasure to wearing turquoise, blue, or purple.

Like most Essies, it's a bit sheer and requires a patient and skilled hand to apply nicely. In fact, if you find a dupe for Splash of Grenadine, I recommend sticking to that. I'll keep using it, because I've finally learned to take the vagaries of nail polish formulae in stride.

on 10/10/2016 6:43:00 AM

Splash of Grenadine is a gorgeous colour! It applies easily, and is opaque in two coats. The formula is very smooth and creamy, two thin coats is all that is needed. It dries quickly and wears well, easily lasting around a week on the fingers and even longer on the toes - even without bad and topcoat. It is a gorgeous colour for both manicures and pedicures. It is a pink based purple, bright and but wearable, and perfect for spring and summer. I imagine it would be perfect for all skin tones, popping on both very fair and very black skin. Splash of Grenadine will be a go-to colour for me, I would highly recommend it for all nail polish lovers - add it to your collection! It is unique, gorgeous and a must-have colour. One of my top 10 Essie shades for sure.

To Read all 44 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/25/2016 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Fabulous creme formula from Essie. 2 coats to opacity. Needs a good topcoat to maintain shine. (I use SV or Julep Freedom or Essie Gel setter) Great pink-lavender color. I feel it can be worn year round, but an especially lovely spring color. Wear time is on par with other Essies ( 4 days on hands, 2 weeks or longer on toes).

on 3/24/2016 2:37:00 PM

This is one of those polishes that everybody loves but it just didn't work for me. Essie's Splash of Grenadine is a medium pinkish-lavender with a creme finish. Disappointing color. I was excited to try this because of the positive reviews. But on my nails this shade just looked boring and un-special.

Good formula though. Opaque in two coats and no problems with application or wear.

But I didn't care for the shade itself and I wouldn't buy this again.

on 9/2/2015 12:19:00 AM

This was a color I had pinned for years. One of those perfect mauve-lavender shades. And then, miracle of minor retail miracles, I stumbled across it one day at Marshall's for $4.99!

The shade is beautiful. Medium lavender-with a bit of pink- and neutral toned. Goes with anything, and flattering against any skin tone I would wager.

However, I think by the time I got to it, the bottle must have been pretty old. The formula was streaky, and simultaneously thin and gloppy. Needs two coats for opacity and definitely needs a top coat to add necessary shine. Disappointing application but a great color.

Also, just as an aside, the name makes zero sense - like so many of Essie's monikers! Grenadine is red!

I liked this color because it is different. Like a mix of pink and purple without being tooooo girly. It went on nicely like all essie polishes do but I do think it looked a little dull once dry and screamed for a topcoat (I usually use one but this one NEEDED it...if that makes sense)

on 7/21/2015 1:23:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Love this for a pedicure, wasn't a fan of it on my hands though. Interesting pink, not something I would normally go for to be honest. I usually like a brighter, less dusty pink for my toes. Was a little streaky for me and took a couple coats to fully cover. Overall a nice cute looking pink, better than I expected. Would repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Splash Of Grenadine is one of those "is it pink-with-a-blue-base, or lavender-with-a-splash-of-powder-pink magenta shades. The finish dries with a juicy and slightly squishy appearance so I'd call it a crelly, rather than a creme like Essie call it.

Even more good news; Essie is well-known for being hit or miss with their polish formulas, but the formula for this polish is awesome. Not too thick and not too thin, fast drying, streak-free and it applies over the entire nail on the first coat. It can be opaque in two thicker coats, but I prefer to apply three thinner ones to make sure my peel-prone nails don't leave any bumps.

Good nail varnish.
It needs 2 coats as per usual for nail polish for opaque coverage. This will come out as fairly bright pink but not 'in your face' bright. Slight purple undertone.
This is my first essie polish. I find it expensive. It's no better than other cheaper branded ones. I think the bottle lid (white) looks quite cheap. If you take out the brush and wipe it on the side of the bottle it can actually paint 3 (fairly short) nails. Sometimes you can get paint dripping down the brush.
It is a thin formula but this is good. No gloopiness. It's not too thin so that it runs.
The brush is about average as polishes go. Not especially wide or overly wide. If you make a mistake when painting (as in it being a bit uneven) it's actually forgivable due to the thin formula.
1 coat would be nice if you want something sheer but your nails looking a bit nicer (I know some lighter pinks/nudes can need a few coats).
The best thing about this polish is it is SOOOO shiny. I don't remember wearing a polish that looks so shiny. It looks like it has a quality clear top coat on.
It's a strong smelling/stinky polish!
I would recommend this and essie seems to have quite a wide range of colours.
However, I probably wouldn't buy it again as it is quite expensive and the bottle has a substantial amount in (more than usual, although it does not look especially big).

This is one of my all time favourites! Love that the colour is a little crazy yet so flattering. It's pretty easy to apply as well, doesn't go gloopy half way through the application, and if done carefully it looks perfect after just one coat. Wouldn't usually repurchase a nail polish but when this baby is gone I'm definitely getting another!

Popular Polishes