It has been a while since I last reviewed a makeup product. I have been experimenting with loads of makeup items and always in search of makeup items that I can achieve the 'no makeup makeup look' in under 5 minutes. I think I have found it in this palette ;) the proof, is when I found myself having to stay overnight at a friends and I had nothing with me but the Laura Mercier Bonne mine palette and in a flash, I had a face that looked radiant and polished in under 5 minutes.
For reference, I am an NC42 in Mac and my skin type is normal to oily. I have black hair and eyes and the complete opposite of the promo face on the palette. This palette is not available in the UK anymore as it was a limited edition in October 2010, and thanks to a wonderful Ebayer ( I love her) who kindly purchased the palette for me from Sephora USA ( where it is still available). She shipped it to me pronto - thank you KassieMC , you are wonderful!!
How do I use the palette?
My skincare routine is simple, cleanse in the morning, Simple Vitaminised face cleanser with my Konjac sponge ( with pink clay). This is the best way to cleanse by the way, takes everything off and gently exfoliates including the eye area. Important for the no makeup look, is nice skin. I moisturize using the Oilatum Face Repair Cream ( use very little, rub the palms and press into the skin) including eye area just to rehydrate. Then for my base, I use the Invisible Zinc SPF 30 + tinted in Medium ( pressing into the skin rather than rubbing gives me a better coverage and hides all my major flaws like acne scarring including ice pick scars). Same thing, a dollop, rub the palms and press into the skin, gives an nice smooth even base, including the neck.
Next,I spot conceal with RMS beauty un-cover up in shade 44 ( any blemishes including the under eye area and the lids- this concealor is elegant and pliable and good for the skin around the eyes- I rather use this than the Touche Eclat which I found very dehydrating despite using and eye cream ). I spot powder using Hakansson The Powder (it is yellow but translates well on the skin) just to set the concealor and alos my nose where it gets a little oily midday.
Then with my palette, I use the bronzer to lightly contour the cheek bones, a little on the chin, the nose, forehead and then the eye lids. The Bronzer is pigmented, light touch is needed even on my tan skin.It gives a very believable glow. I get comments on how healthy and fresh I look when i do this. Blending done with fingers, really. I use the pink/coral blush as blusher ( there is a handy flippy guide that comes with the palette which shows you where to place the products, so goof proof!) . The other creme blusher is a red brick type shade which is pigmented, a I gently apply this shade on days where I am looking a little pasty and I just want put some blood back in to my skin.
There are 2 highlighters, which double up as eye shadows- one is a typical francophile pinky pearly iridescent one without sparkles, and the other a bronze shimmer which I prefer for evenings really. All 5 colors can be used on eyes, lips and face.
For the lips, I apply Beaute cosmetics lip stain in Fluoron very lightly to even out my dark pigmented lips and finish with Smashbox Melon Drama lipgloss.
If I want to up the ante, I would tightline my eyes just the upper inner eyelid with Bobbi Brown Blackened Brown Caviar eye shadow ( I find this stays put foerever without smudging or fall out) and for mascara, I like the Revlon Black mascara for growing lashes ( it actually does work). Brush the brows and apply some Talika Lipocils ( I use the eyelash one for the brows) to keep it lush and thick.
The Pros of the palette:
1. Easy, handy, portable and lovely texture and pigmentation to the colors
2. Multi -functional for that polished look for any age.
3. I see this working on all skin tones ( I have used it on my friend who is Afro Carribean who is quite dark with reddish undertones to her skin and it worked like a dream)
4. The lasting power is fabulous despite being a cream product, I think it is due to to the Kaolin content in the cremes, my face stays on until I take it off in the evening and that is a good 12 hours.
5. no break outs or milia on the skin.
1. Limited edition, so I pray Laura Mercier will continue to make it and make it a permanent in her line and bring out variations to the Bonne Mine compact.
2. Expensive especially if you have to get it from overseas.
3. If u have oily lids, need a primer or top it off with a shadow as it can crease like a bad makeup dream! ( mine does, but I sweep with finger to even it out)
4. on the lips , the colors are drying due to the kaolin so will need a balm or a gloss to keep lips hydrated.
All in all, the best investment in a makeup product which does what it says on the box, the Elusive French Bonne Mine ( or Good Skin) look is achievable. Using light touch and if you have no brushes, all the better as the fingers do a stellar job with these textures.
Hope you found this review helpful ;)