Filtered by eye Color : Brown

3.4

on 1/11/2015 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have an absurd, bordering on obscene amount of perfume but when I got a whiff of this scent at Marshalls (thanks anonymous customer who decided to tear apart a box of this!), I just had to get it. The fact that it was a mere $30 didn't hurt either.

When I got this home and finally spritzed it on myself, I was highly disappointed and almost sure that I got yet another nasty perfume because the initial scent is quite masculine and almost nauseating. I can't recall which cologne this actually reminds me of, but it's not one that I like. I was ready to chalk this up to yet another blind(ish) buy that would be relegated to my "Unusable Perfumes/Makeup/Beauty Product" drawer (What? You don't have one?) but then it began to dry down. I've no idea what happens between the first spritz and the dry down but whatever it is, it's a miracle. The dry down is much softer but, predictably, a little dark with a tinge of spicy sharpness. I think the draw for me with this scent is the patchouli as I seem to like fragrances with that note. There's also a mingling of vanilla and pine that make it a little more interesting. I tried the original Sensuous years ago but something about it bugged me. Whatever that something was, I don't sense it in the Noir version.

As others have said, this probably isn't the most original fragrance out there but I like it. I'm not a perfume snob by any means, but who wants to smell like every other person out there? I think it's just unusual enough to be unique but still "normal" enough to be mainstream. As for staying power, this baby lasts. I fell asleep while wearing this and, being the bum I am, did so before taking a shower. I woke up the next day and could still smell it. I think that's how all perfumes should be considering most of them are crazy expensive.

Now, the negatives - I loath the name. For whatever reason, the word "sensuous" gives me the willies. There's something decidedly unsexy about that word despite it being almost universally accepted as being sexy. While we're at it, "noir" is also a tad cheesy. I think the smallest bottle is about $60 but that's rather typical of high end line scents these days. I likely wouldn't have tried this at its regular price but I tend to be a cheap-o.

All that said, Sensuous Noir is not a perfume I will be wearing daily. I like it but I definitely have to be in the mood for it. As it is a darker scent, I think it lends itself better to cold weather and since I live in the jungle, those days are few and far between. It's not a purchase I regret but I would recommend that anyone interested in it first get a sample to see how it reacts to your body chemistry.

on 9/28/2014 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have other scents that cover this area already. I also find it relatively safe and generic.

Est�e Lauder rendition of a niche type scent, specifically serge lutens. Sensuous Noire is a cross between serge lutens filles et aiguilles (think cheery Christmas pine) and shiseido feminite de bois/lutens feminitie de bois (honeyed dried fruit and warm wood) (Lutens was the creative director of the Lutens and Shiseido scents). The original Feminitie du bois, I think, was released in 1992.

I consider both filles et aiguilles and feminitie de bois to be relatively easy mainstream niche in terms of wearability, provided one likes pine, wood and honeyed fruit accords. If you want a great pine from the EL collection, I also adore the original private collection which can be had for a song on eBay.

Since I own FBs of the latter two, there is no need for me to buy a FB of sensuous noir.

I have great respect for Est�e Lauder fragrances, especially vintage azuree, aliage, youth dew, Clinique aromatics elixir, private collection etc. it never occurred to me to wear EL when I was younger, so these are new discoveries. I don't think sensuous noire is in that league because somehow it's distinctly mainstream, but SN is certainly much easier to wear than the more challenging vintage ELs.

I had been wanting Sensuous for a while -it smelled great sprayed on clothes. But once tested on my skin, I ended up with Sensuous Noir instead. So glad I did.

I sprayed one wrist with Sensuous and the other with Sensuous Noir.Sensuous started off with that nice woodsy/oriental note that I like about it.Then it turned a soft floral, before ending up slightly powdery. And the end product was so so soft it was barely noticable.Sensuous Noir,on the other hand (wrist actually) started off with the same woodsy/oriental note as Sensuous,but stronger. Then it changed to a slight vanilla, ending in a soft musk (with a trace of the vanilla remaining) that was noticable but not cloying.

Sensuous Noir reminds me of Tom Ford Black Orchid and Black Orchid Voile de Fleur-it begins very strong then shifts to something softer. It's almost as if Tom Ford Black Orchid + Dior Addict joined together. Odd but quite the perfume for those that want something that is not plain.

on 8/28/2011 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I received a free sample of this product and loved it. I don't really like the first scent, but within half an hour it has calmed down enough for me to quite pleased while still remaining engaging. It also seems to last forever; I can still smell a hint of it if I sniff my wrists 40 hours later!

On me this is very dull, just light slightly sweet patchouli that packs no punch. After about 4 hours it develops a slight powderiness and smells of amber but that's about it. Very disappointing. I find it also has not much staying power on my skin.

Make sure you take heed of the name- NOIR. This perfume is great, but really only suited to a big night out at a sexy night club. Wearing this Sensuous Noir without smokey eye shadow and stiletto heels would seem inappropriate and OTT.

A great perfume for the above occasion though, and great lasting power too. Can still smell it on clothes I wore 2 weeks ago!

on 3/7/2011 8:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Not horrible, but this smells masculine to me. Too heavy and too musky.

on 11/13/2010 2:40:00 PM

Do we really need another sweet, spicy patchouli scent? Not my cup of tea at all although I guess it will be popular. Great lasting power, but I prefer Aromatics or Allure Sensuelle for a patchouli fix - not so sweet and candly like. Sorry EL, fans but thumbs down from me.

Well, the paper strip smells pretty good in this issue of Vanity Fair...but...Coromandel already achieves this patchouli-heavy oriental task with style and nuance where the EL offering just comes off as too...too everything, really, but the word I might be searching for is "screechy". Sure, EL frags have lasting power, but when you're talking about a patchouli oriental, is lasting power really at the top of your list of concerns? Too much or everything dialed up to 11, which sometimes works for the house, but not this time.

on 11/2/2010 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A little goes a LOOOOOONG way. Really.

After reading all the reviews on Sensuos Noir (ismellthereforeiam was the most influential in my buying decision), I bought this unsniffed. This did not launch in Asia so I had my husband get it at the dutyfree in Frankfurt airport.

I wore this last night and today at work, and I have doubts if this will ever launch in Asia. Sensuous (the original beige bottle) took about a year and a half to launch in Asia, and as far as I know it did not fare well. Sensuous Noir is more 'oriental' than Sensuous (i.e., more spicy and potent) and has a LOT of patchouli.

I sprayed each of my ankles and that was it, but I can smell maybe a bit too much so next time I will only be spritzing myself once.

At first, it does seem similar to Midnight Poison and Flowerbomb in its candied, sugary floweriness, but on me the candy and flower evaporate and becomes just spicy, musk and creamy (the official description states a 'cream noir' accord, which I think is very apt). It is very strong and spicy, but I like my fragrances that way. I recommend you test drive it for a day before buying. I really loved the top note but after I was left with the musk and the patchouli, I got a little headache.

Popular Fragrances