Estée Lauder Sensuous Noir

Filtered by hair type : Other
Estée Lauder Sensuous Noir
Estee Lauder Sensuous Noir

3.9

I have been familiar with Estee Lauder classic fragrances for decades now, but I am unfamiliar with the newer ones such as Sensuous, Sensuous Nude, Sensuous Noir, etc. As Sensuous Noir has been discontinued, I decided to purchase a bottle of it as I love Orientals, and I love deep, dark, sensual fragrances.

My first thought upon initial application was "this is very light for a fragrance called 'Sensuous Noir.'" I expected something of an Oriental bomb along the lines of Chanel Coco or Shalimar to name but two legendary Orientals. My second thought turned to the notes. I do detect a lovely pine note, but I hasten to add that SN is in no way a copy of Lutens Fille en Aiguilles as some reviewers have suggested. They both share a pine note, but the resemblance begins and ends there. I also detect a good bit of well mannered patchouli, so if you fear patchouli in general, you need not fear the patchouli in SN. Aside from the pine and patchouli notes, I can detect a very mild mannered oud and a smidgen each of both warm amber and sweetly resinous benzoin mainly in the deeper dry down. There also seems to be a shy, sweet frankincense note in SN. I cannot distinctly pick out any of the other notes.

Overall SN is a quite nice fragrance. It is both gentle and warm, and softly sweet. It could be worn both day and night. Projection and sillage are moderate at best, so I believe it could be worn in an office environment without offending anyone. Longevity is also moderate at best. It wears close to the skin on me, and it is readily detectable for three to four hours. I think it would be perceived as sensuous and feminine on a woman, but I also think a man could wear it, too.

All in all, SN is a quite lovely fragrance, but there is absolutely nothing about it that makes it "extraordinary" or "legendary" in the way that Chanel Coco is both extraordinary and legendary (in my opinion), and I am somewhat disappointed in this fact as Estee Lauder has produced one of my most beloved fragrances of all times, Private Collection, as well as another much admired fragrance, Cinnabar. SN does not compare with these two classic Estee Lauder fragrances, but for anyone who likes SN's notes and who prefers a relatively light fragrance that is unlikely to offend bystanders, then SN could be for her/him. I truly do like it, and I am happy to have it in my collection.

As for the value to price ratio, I feel SN is over priced at $69 for a 50ml bottle just as Lutens Fille en Aiguilles is over priced at $150 a bottle. Even at half the price, I feel SN is still a bit overpriced for my money. There are several vintage chemist shop Oriental fragrances that are equally as impressive SN, e.g. vintage Ciara, Chantilly, and Emeraude. I also have some vintage Avon fragrances that I find equally as impressive as SN, e.g. Rare Rubies, Timeless, Charisma, and Rare Gold to name a few. As for performance, once again my chemist shop, Avon, and even some of my B&BW fragrances perform every bit as well as SN for a much lower price point. I wanted SN to be deeper, richer, and to have better performance, but I can say the same of many contemporary fragrances, including many that retail for far more than SN.

In the end, I can say that SN is a very pleasant fragrance indeed, but it is not the stuff of which legends are made, and for those who insist upon comparing it to Lutens Fille en Aiguilles, I think the Lutens is more impressive even if more expensive, but Fille en Aiguilles also has moderate performance at best. Test before you buy if at all possible. If you enjoy this type of fragrance, and if you love these notes, I think you will like SN very much indeed. Just do not expect SN to be in the same league as Chanel Coco, Guerlain Shalimar, Piguet Alameda, or Chanel Allure Sensuelle.

Fragrance: 6/10
Projection: 4/10
Sillage: 4/10
Longevity: 4/10

on 8/4/2016 7:08:00 PM

Skip the poetics, I `ll get straight to the point. I get more compliments on this then any other fragrance I own, including better quality niche scents. It just works for me. Some reviewers have noted a similarity in style or feel to SL FdB, and I would agree, though SN is sweeter. I also find it similar in a softer, less edgier way to YSL Nu, another favorite of mine. Both exude a cool/warm sensation that , at least for me, is purely addictive.

on 12/3/2011 1:24:00 PM

I like this, but my husband LOVES this! He is a patchouli lover and I wear it for him because he thinks it is sexy. Lasts forever on me. I will repurchase. Would have given this and Sensuous both 5s but couldn't because of the boring bottles!!

Make sure you take heed of the name- NOIR. This perfume is great, but really only suited to a big night out at a sexy night club. Wearing this Sensuous Noir without smokey eye shadow and stiletto heels would seem inappropriate and OTT.

A great perfume for the above occasion though, and great lasting power too. Can still smell it on clothes I wore 2 weeks ago!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Lovely, lovely lovely; one of the best fragrances my nose stumbled upon in 2010.
Sensuous was nasty on me and i truly disliked it.
Sensuous Noir was a revelation: woody, sensual, deep...chocolatey (chocolate is not mentioned in the notes, but it may well be honey + vanilla) and warm that much you need to face a cold winter day.
Recomforting and feminine. Probably not so office-appropriate, unless in homeopathic doses, but great for an afternoon with friends.
A must try!

_________________
notes as per Osmoz:
top note Jasmine, Purple Rose, Pepper, Spicy Notes
middle note Patchouli, Lilac, Woodsy Notes
base note Amber, Benzoin, Vanilla, Honeyed Notes

on 9/27/2010 8:49:00 AM

Smells like perfumed liquid toffee fudge on me.

on 9/19/2010 12:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have been looking for a signature scent since I wore Coco by Chanel in the 80's and 90's....It was time to move on, but I just couldn't find one. I had moved to Ralph Lauren Notorious, but it was too close to Coco...I have found it FINALLY!! It is Estee Lauder Sensuous Nior and totally by accident! What a fantastic surprise, I never thought it would be an Estee Lauder scent, they are usually too powerful and headache-making for me, but this one is just right. Lasts all day on my skin, smells beautiful and different, very sophisticated, complicated and doesnt smell like anything else out there! I absolutely love it; I love it so much I havent forgotten to put it on for one day since buying it! On the way home from the store, I even sprayed it on myself in the car, so my seatbelt would smell like it.

on 8/3/2010 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This comes in a dark blue bottle the same shape and design of Sensuous. It is an edp.

I came across it accidently and the SA sprayed some on my wrist. Wow! It reminded me of Obession Sheer initially and as it dried down i thought of a sweeter and intense Midnight Poison (not like its elixir) crossed with Opium for Men.

If you like spicy mysterious scents that are not overly heady like YSL Nu then try this. Plus it lasts for ages! I have had it on (small spray) for four hours and still going strong.

Update (16/01/10): I tried this on again after i got a waft of this lady wearing it and i thought wowsers - if i was a man then.....!!!
It is like Sensuous with an oomph....with added vanilla, tonka and spices. If you want to stand out like Dior Addict, but without that overwhelming effect then try this. Gorgeous .

Popular Fragrances