Estée Lauder Sensuous Noir

Estee Lauder Sensuous Noir

on 1/11/2015 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have an absurd, bordering on obscene amount of perfume but when I got a whiff of this scent at Marshalls (thanks anonymous customer who decided to tear apart a box of this!), I just had to get it. The fact that it was a mere $30 didn't hurt either.

When I got this home and finally spritzed it on myself, I was highly disappointed and almost sure that I got yet another nasty perfume because the initial scent is quite masculine and almost nauseating. I can't recall which cologne this actually reminds me of, but it's not one that I like. I was ready to chalk this up to yet another blind(ish) buy that would be relegated to my "Unusable Perfumes/Makeup/Beauty Product" drawer (What? You don't have one?) but then it began to dry down. I've no idea what happens between the first spritz and the dry down but whatever it is, it's a miracle. The dry down is much softer but, predictably, a little dark with a tinge of spicy sharpness. I think the draw for me with this scent is the patchouli as I seem to like fragrances with that note. There's also a mingling of vanilla and pine that make it a little more interesting. I tried the original Sensuous years ago but something about it bugged me. Whatever that something was, I don't sense it in the Noir version.

As others have said, this probably isn't the most original fragrance out there but I like it. I'm not a perfume snob by any means, but who wants to smell like every other person out there? I think it's just unusual enough to be unique but still "normal" enough to be mainstream. As for staying power, this baby lasts. I fell asleep while wearing this and, being the bum I am, did so before taking a shower. I woke up the next day and could still smell it. I think that's how all perfumes should be considering most of them are crazy expensive.

Now, the negatives - I loath the name. For whatever reason, the word "sensuous" gives me the willies. There's something decidedly unsexy about that word despite it being almost universally accepted as being sexy. While we're at it, "noir" is also a tad cheesy. I think the smallest bottle is about $60 but that's rather typical of high end line scents these days. I likely wouldn't have tried this at its regular price but I tend to be a cheap-o.

All that said, Sensuous Noir is not a perfume I will be wearing daily. I like it but I definitely have to be in the mood for it. As it is a darker scent, I think it lends itself better to cold weather and since I live in the jungle, those days are few and far between. It's not a purchase I regret but I would recommend that anyone interested in it first get a sample to see how it reacts to your body chemistry.

on 6/21/2012 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Seriously, the most BEAUTIFUL fragrance I've ever smelt. I absolutely adore it. Although everyone's tastes are different, I just can't believe some people think it doesn't smell good. It lasts for the whole day, not exaggerating.. and even after 8 hours the scent is just so irresistible! I can't stop smelling myself! The other reviews are 100% correct.. a little goes a long way. I give 1 spray to my neck and it lasts all day. The price was as expected for an elite brand..but well worth it.. and will definitely last a while. It's great quality.. you won't regret it. :) A lifetime subscription to this perfume please! Hehe. Oh and also, today at work I had many customers tell me they love my perfume, in which they rarely do.