Estée Lauder Sensuous Noir

3.7

on 1/2/2012 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Being that I love the Sensuous Nude, I thought I'd test spritz this one as well today at the mall. Ughhh... not feminine at all... reminded me of pipe tobacco ....quite possibly headache inducing if applied with a heavy hand.

on 11/13/2010 2:40:00 PM

Do we really need another sweet, spicy patchouli scent? Not my cup of tea at all although I guess it will be popular. Great lasting power, but I prefer Aromatics or Allure Sensuelle for a patchouli fix - not so sweet and candly like. Sorry EL, fans but thumbs down from me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

To be fair, I don't like the original but thought I'd try this one out anyway. When first sprayed it's not bad, spicy & sweet. However it quickly goes downhill. There's something in here that just smells off to me. Also, while I like woodsy & spicy scents, this just smells heavy & dated to my nose.

on 8/26/2010 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

hate the first one.....nauseating and this one stinks...and yuck..... a scubber!!

on 9/28/2014 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have other scents that cover this area already. I also find it relatively safe and generic.

Est�e Lauder rendition of a niche type scent, specifically serge lutens. Sensuous Noire is a cross between serge lutens filles et aiguilles (think cheery Christmas pine) and shiseido feminite de bois/lutens feminitie de bois (honeyed dried fruit and warm wood) (Lutens was the creative director of the Lutens and Shiseido scents). The original Feminitie du bois, I think, was released in 1992.

I consider both filles et aiguilles and feminitie de bois to be relatively easy mainstream niche in terms of wearability, provided one likes pine, wood and honeyed fruit accords. If you want a great pine from the EL collection, I also adore the original private collection which can be had for a song on eBay.

Since I own FBs of the latter two, there is no need for me to buy a FB of sensuous noir.

I have great respect for Est�e Lauder fragrances, especially vintage azuree, aliage, youth dew, Clinique aromatics elixir, private collection etc. it never occurred to me to wear EL when I was younger, so these are new discoveries. I don't think sensuous noire is in that league because somehow it's distinctly mainstream, but SN is certainly much easier to wear than the more challenging vintage ELs.

on 9/29/2012 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

A big no for me as it smells like a man' s cologne to my nose
Actually my GP uses a cologne that smells just like it
I prefer feminine scents, Estee Lauder missed the target on that one, a scent can be dark, it doesnt t have to be so dry and masculine!

On me this is very dull, just light slightly sweet patchouli that packs no punch. After about 4 hours it develops a slight powderiness and smells of amber but that's about it. Very disappointing. I find it also has not much staying power on my skin.

on 3/7/2011 8:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Not horrible, but this smells masculine to me. Too heavy and too musky.

Since I like warm, spicy, musky scents, I thought I may like this one. It did smell delicious spritzed on the paper card. Once I sprayed it on, however, it didn't smell so nice. It started smelling too much like incense, and then just dried down to smell like an incensey men's cologne. My mom and sister smelled it and both said it only smelled like men's cologne. nothing sexy about that in my opinion :-(. The original Sensuous, while I don't care for it that much either, is much better.

Well, the paper strip smells pretty good in this issue of Vanity Fair...but...Coromandel already achieves this patchouli-heavy oriental task with style and nuance where the EL offering just comes off as too...too everything, really, but the word I might be searching for is "screechy". Sure, EL frags have lasting power, but when you're talking about a patchouli oriental, is lasting power really at the top of your list of concerns? Too much or everything dialed up to 11, which sometimes works for the house, but not this time.