MAC Cosmetics Matte - Omega

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

4.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This shadow was a very pleasant surprise. I was looking for a transition and blending color, and also a shadow that would give a subtle sculpted look when used in the crease. I initially bought Wedge, but Wedge was warmer than I was looking for. I wanted something that was slightly cooler (a very cool brown leaning toward grey). Omega was perfect for that. But in addition to providing that perfect sculpted eye, it is PERFECT to blend out other colors and harsh edges. It's also insanely gorgeous as a lid color in an understated, sophisticated way. When I want subtle definition under my eyes, I use it as a liner on my lower lid.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool

I love this as a crease and outer V color, it blends well and isn't too reddish on my skin. never creases, lasts all day and applies beautifully. I'm nc40 for reference.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

After finding out that Too Faced's Velvet Revolver eyeshadow in the Natural palette is the perfect color to fill in my eyebrows with, I set out to find the most similar dupe I could, as I would rather not repurchase the whole Natural Eye Palette again just for that one shadow. Multiple sources said that Omega was pretty close. I've colored my hair to a light brunette for years, but I'm a natural dark blonde. So my brows are that awful, cool-toned mousy light brown color. All color I've found designed for brows are either WAY to dark, or have warm undertones, so nothing looks natural. And my brows are just dark enough that blonde colors look too yellow. So I experimented with this eyeshadow. Looking at it in the pan, it almost looks a bit grey, as does Velvet Revolver. So I'm not even sure what gave me hope and possessed me to try it in the first place, but I'm glad I did. It goes on a lot more brown than it would look, and blends in almost perfectly. Omega is just the tiniest bit lighter than Velvet Revolver, but it does the trick.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Omega is my least favorite MAC shadow. I bought it because I wanted a cool neutral to use as a crease contour. I'm NC 25, hazel eyes, and this doesn't work at all, I can pack it on but it won't show. It works as a base matte for the lid but it looks blah on me, and it's really difficult to blend with other colors. I think it's the matte 1 formula (matte 2 are easier to blend). I occassionally use it as a cheek contour when I want something cool (I usually contour with Benefit Hoola which is warm). Omega isn't a bad color but it doesn't work for me. I wouldn't repurchase.
**EDIT** I'm really starting to like Omega. If I put Grain on the lid (a neutral beige-silver satin) and Omega built up in the crease and outer v, it gives the perfect "no make-up make up look". I may even repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a very unassuming color in the pan. It's a boring looking basic that is soooo useful if you are pale and cool toned. I use it for my eyebrows (I have red hair so it works for not just blonds). I like it in the crease for blending when UD naked and MAC wedge or kid are too dark and too warm (Malt is also great for this). I feel like MAC matte finishes are hit or miss and this one is a hit (Malt is a bit of a miss). It's not quite as buttery as a matte2 but close. I can also use it to contour my face. It's a perfect contour color on me. It's not an exciting color to buy, but is soooo useful and has such a nice texture.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

i would describe this as a cool-toned light/medium taupe. but there are so many pics of it here online that you dont really need me to tell you that ;) i will say, the pic above, where Omega is in the lower left of the quad, is acurate 100%.
this is actually my first, and so far ONLY, MAC eyeshadow. i just cant be bothered to regularly buy shadows that are, what, $14 a pop? but for this color, i really couldnt find a dupe. all the other taupe/ light brown colors i looked at and tried were too warm for my purposes. i wanted this as an all-over contour color, as well as a brow filler color, AND a shadow color. my skin is around NC15, even lighter on parts that dont get any sun and dont have past sun damage. my hair is lightest ash brown at the roots, with strawberry blonde natural highlights here and there. i henna my hair regularly to add a more red color to it. my brows are naturally quite dark on the inner part, but blone (so you cant even really see them) on the outer parts. so i bleach the darker parts to match, and then fill in all of my brows. i wish i liked this more as a brow filler, but it really is for the VERY fair browed ladies for brow filler. i can use this as brow filler right after i bleach my brows, but if they've at all grown in darker again then this is too light.

but that's ok, b/c its the PERFECT contour color! its there enough to actually SHOW a contour, but doesnt look too ovious at all. i use it below cheekbones, as well as on temples, sides of nose bridge, and very top of forehead. it blends well, and is decently pigmented. with what i use it for, i wouldnt want it to be any more pigmented.

as far as using at as a eyeshadow, it's nice for days when i dont want much on my eyes, and also as a transition color.

when i run out i will repurchase, unless i've magically found some cheaper dupe.

i should note, i tried the supposed NYX dupe, and it was slightly shimmery (this is matte), and it was really hard to get any on the brush :(

UPDATE: 7/30/12
still loving this! i'm still using it as a contour color (under my cheekbones, and on the bridge of my nose/inner eye socket area, as well as a tad bit under my lower lip to create the illusion if fuller lips). also, i've found that if i dont use quite so much in the outer part of my brows, it works just great as a brow filler! if i wet my brush and use a while lot then it looks too obvious, but a wet brush with just a little looks really natural. so if this wasnt working for you at 1st as a brow filler, you might want to give it another go! as of today, i would still 100% re-buy :)

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am SO thrilled with Omega! For me this is the PERECT brow shade.I have dabbled with nearly every light taupe eyeshadow on the market to find the perfect brow color. Pencils are too stark and gels are heavy and fake looking. Powder is brilliant but finding the right color is nearly impossible if your brow color is transparent blond. For a while I used the Anastasia Brow Powder Duo. Beautiful product but the packaging is a bit difficult when you begin to hit pan. The whole thing crumbles. Everything about MAC's Omega is perfection.I bought the Pro Palette Pan and popped it in the Pro Palette Eye Shadow Duo along with Coquette for a brow palette. I am so happy! This is perfect for barely there brows. It's subtle and shades in with full yet realistic coverage. Fabulous!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use this to fill in my brows everyday and it's wonderful, it never makes them look fake or unnatural, just good. Haven't used it as an actual eyeshadow yet, but I'm sure it would still be great.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is a nice colour for everyday, I use this for school and it gives off a nice natural look. It is good to use on eyebrows to if you have medium to dark blonde hair.

MAC Omega is a matte, mushroom, greyish-beige (or "greige"). It is a perfect, neutral, mid-tone taupe without any obvious reddish/orangey undertones, but is not a blue-grey as it retains a hint of warmth. Note that it applies slightly darker than it appears in the pan.

Applied sheerly on fair to medium skin, this is the perfect medium taupe to shade the eyelids for a polished, daytime look (especially for work). However, like other MAC matte eyeshadows, it takes some work to blend into the skin and even swatch.

This is also the perfect colour (the perfect combination of grey and beige) to fill in my eyebrows. For reference, I am Asian, with fair-to-medium skin, and relatively sparse eyebrows. For comparison, Shu Uemura's Hard Formula in Seal Brown (a cult favourite for Asian eyebrows) is much darker. Depending on how it's applied, Seal Brown can appear to be too harsh and overly brown. I believe Shu Uemura's Hard Formula in Stone Gray is a better match for Asian eyebrows but since it was not available at my Shu counter, I'm unable to compare it.

Compared with Seal Brown, however, Omega is a much more flattering colour on me, and being a powder, it applies more softly. It is neither too dark nor too red/brown. Yet it has just enough warmth to avoid looking ashy. The result is natural-looking, believably full brows.