NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Walkyrie

4.9

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I will always own a Walkyrie. It is a colour which never fails me and the wear and feel of a NARS velvet matte lip pencil can't be beat. All my friends wear this colour and love it so it's very versatile! For the price it's awesome, it is heavily pigmented so you don't need heaps and the pencil will last a long time. Sharpening it breaks my heart, I almost wanna save the shavings and use them. My olive yellow skin loves this muted brown pink shade. It looks super 90s but modern and wearable.

on 1/6/2016 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

What not to love! It is matte,but goes on buttery. The colour is just GORGEOUS. Sephora describes it as “warm coral red”. It isn’t.

I would describe it as warm terracotta rose. It’s similar to Dolce Vita, but more brown. It’s very flattering and compliments any style of makeup I wear.

To Read all 18 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I adore this. ADORE it.

If you already own Dolce Vita, this is a darker version of it.

If you don't own Dolce Vita, then I would describe this little gem as a dusty brown rose matte colour which leans a tad bit more brown than pink.

I do not agree that it is perfect only for medium to dark skintones. I have light skintone with yellow undertones and this looks amazing on me.

It slides on smoothly like all Matte Velvet Lip pencils, and it lasts a long time.

The only two things i hate about it is the PRICE, and the fact that you need a sharpener. I wish it was retractable instead, to avoid losing so much product.

If you can afford it, id say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

If not, then save your money because it is an easily dupable shade.

on 7/27/2015 8:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love the color. It is perfect for my medium neutral skintone. I personally hate the packaging because I only have to use it once or twice, then have to sharpen it again. It is a bit waxy and not long wearing, but because of the color and the fact that I cannot find a proper dupe, I will repurchase.
To the reviewers below: if you take a pushpin and poke a hole in the top of the cap, it will not pop off unexpectedly any longer. I have three of these pencils and this method has worked beautifully.

on 7/26/2015 11:20:00 AM

Holy grail work color! This is great on my NC 42 deep tan skin! It's similar to Mac Taupe but just a tad more coral. I will never be without this. Love love love

on 3/3/2015 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is my second Walkyrie. I lost my first one and had to repurchase. I love the nars matte lipstick so much, I also have Train Bleu but can't wear it as often as this pencil. It's such a unique beautiful shade on my skin. I think it would compliment many skin tones. I have olive skin and it looks really nice.

The price is expensive but the quality it totally worth it. Unlike Mac matte lipsticks, I don't need to use another outer lipliner with this, it stays in place and doesn't bleed. So I kind use this logic to justify the cost of the purchase. I <3 it.

on 1/19/2015 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my third time purchasing from the Velvet Matte line, and I'm thoroughly pleased. My first was Cruella - a gorgeous, deep, cooler-toned red. My second (and only disappointing of the bunch) was Train Bleu, which is a gorgeous shade, but it fades in weird ways and looks super unflattering if your lips aren't plump and soft. Seeing as I was one for two with these lip crayons, I was hesitant to purchase Walyrie, but when I went on the hunt at Sephora for the perfect rusty brown shade, this rose to the occasion.
The color is stunning. It's exactly what I've been looking for and up to now have been unable to find. I wanted a reddish brown that wasn't dark, but wasn't so light that it came off as a nude, and that's the best way I can describe this shade. It looks amazing paired with a smoky sepia eye and neutral cheeks.
The texture is consistent with the rest of the line in that it's very matte, extremely lightweight and comfortable, and a tad bit drying if proper lip prep isn't exercised first. It applies evenly without tugging and has incredible staying power. It does transfer a bit, but it certainly isn't slippery or waxy.
I'm not a fan of the packaging on these, as I feel a twist-up design would have been more suitable. I find that sharpening results in wasted product, and at this rather heft price point, wasted product is unacceptable. Also, the cap has to be put on twice in order to really lock it in place or it'll sort of "spring" off, which has happened to me numerous times with Cruella, to the point that I put it in a separate plastic baggy whenever I'd travel with it to avoid it getting all over my belongings. The matte finish on the cap also begins to flake off, almost like dried Elmer's glue. Very strange.
At $25, these are expensive, but it's NARS, so really, it should be expected that you'll pay a high price for these. But in spite of the packaging woes, I do still feel that overall, these are great lip products. The colors are beautiful and vivid, they aren't super drying for a matte formula, and the staying power is fantastic.

on 6/17/2014 1:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my second Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil purchase (well, my third but I don't really use the "regular" pencil I bought years ago) and I'm in love. I don't say this lightly, especially about lipstick or pencils, but I'm glad I finally bought these. These pencils along with Nars' sheer lipsticks have helped me broaden my horizons to a degree. Aside from the cool names, Nars tends to have out of the ordinary lip colors that look scary in the tube but really pretty once applied.

The first Velvet Matte pencil I bought was in the Dolce Vita shade. I bought it because I really like the Dolce Vita lipstick and wanted to layer the pencil with the lipstick. I honestly had no intention of buying another but when I was at Sephroa recently, I swatched Walkyrie on my hand and fell in love with the color. Naturally, the Sephora I swatched this at didn't have any so I drove to another and they didn't have it either. The online site was out too and sellers on eBay are attempting to sell this shade for almost double its retail price (Really eBay sellers?) so I had no choice but to wait. I discovered that a Sephora inside of a JCPenney near my house has been open for months so I rushed over and, lo and behold, they had four of these. Yay for me! I usually don't lust after a lip color like this but the color is just so pretty and flattering.

I'd say Walkyrie is a pinkish brown that reads a little darker than your real lip color if you're tan to olive or have naturally darkish lips. I won't say this is universally flattering but I do think it would work on people with fair skin as well as tan. I think it's one of those lip colors that can be worn at work but would also work well for a date night. It's brown enough to mellow the pink but pink enough so it doesn't look like you're wearing a true matte brown lipstick that was popular in the 1990s. The intensity of the color depends on how much you apply but I found the color payoff to be decent even with one swipe. I'm one of those people who tends to "eat" their lipstick or lip product but even after an hour or so, the color is still apparent. Almost like a nice stain that is pinkish.

I find the formula of this pencil to be decent. As it is matte, it is on the drier side so I use Chapstik or a lip balm before applying. It glides on very smoothly but, like any pencil, if you have dry lips this will accenuate them so exfoliate and moisturize before applying. The price is a bit jarring ($25) but the pencil is sizable and I doubt anyone would run out of this quickly unless they decided to use it to draw on their face! As this is a jumbo pencil, you do need a large sharpener to refresh it but those can be found almost anywhere.

If you're looking for a neutral lip color that is flattering or something a little darker than usual to perk up your makeup, I would recommend Walkyrie. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to makeup and err on the side of caution lest I look like a pair of brightly colored lips comin' at 'cha but this color scratches that itch of something out of the ordinary yet noticeably flattering and pulled together.

on 5/2/2014 12:36:00 PM

I absolutely LOVE this lip pencil. I'm a bit of a lipstick junkie, always on the lookout for a new beauty to try out. A girlfriend of mine had this and let me try it... I was hesitant to shell out $25 for it ($10 more than the MAC lipsticks I ususally buy!) but every time I saw my friend wearing it, the shade struck me as so perfect I decided I had to give it a go.

Well, this may be my favorite lip color EVER. It can be applied lightly for a very natural and subdued rosy lip, or a bit more heavily for a darker, deep berry color that looks like MLBB with a power punch of sexy. Not shiny *at all* (may be an issue for those who look for that. My man commented right away that it wasn't shiny and he likes shiny lips -- too bad, I love it) so it flies under the radar. May just look like super pigmented lips, very natural without looking at all nude.

Also, though it is matte, it is NOT drying at all. I've got chronic dry lips and this feels smooth and supple throughout the long wearing period. I could probably go on and on. I'm tempted to buy a backup just in case they discontinue this amazing color, I don't care how much it costs.

on 4/26/2014 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This is the perfect my lips but a bit more seductive color for darker berries out there. I am MAC NW45 for reference and this look absolutely amazing. People can tell I have on lipstick but it is classy and subdued. $25 is not cheap but these velvet matte pencils are so worth that. I will continue to purchase these, I kinda want lots of colors. Women of color, please take note. This is as matte as you can get but not drying in the least. Last very well and I love the pencil form for easy on-the-go touch ups. Well done NARS! I have these in Dragon Girl, Train Bleu, Red Square, Damned and Bahama as well. And I will continue to get more.