La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo

3.6

Salicylic acid - 0.5% aqua, glycerin, cyclohexasiloxane, hydrogenated polyisobutene, niacinamide, isopropyl lauroyl sarcosinate, ammonium polyacryloyldimethyl taurate, silica, mathyl methacrylate crosspolymer, glyceryl stearate se, piroctone olamine, caprylloyl glycine, myristyl myristate, potassium cetyl phosphate, capryloyl salicylic acid, caprylyl glycol, sodium hydroxide, zinc pca, nylon-12, linoleic acid, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, parfum.

Last summer, my entire forehead was cover with acne, pustules and horrible blemishes. I'd been fighting a dying battle against raging acne for almost two years now, and had completely given up hope. At my worst point, around October 2016, I started using LRP's entire skincare line, but only two products really stood out to me. First and foremost, is this tube of Effaclar Duo that works like magic. Within a month of sustained use, my pimples definitely showed signs of withering. I remember freaking out when my pimples first got worse though for the first two weeks...perhaps my skin needed to purge all the toxins that was already there? Two months in, I started having fewer pimples, and the existing ones started to heal and clear faster. By July 2017, I barely get any (touchwood), except during day 8-12 of my cycle (lol), and the pimples that do pop are are significantly smaller, less painful, and take significantly less time to go away (2-5 days, as opposed to a couple of weeks previously). I cannot recommend this product more, and I'm so afraid to not have one next to my side that I always have 3 tubes of back-up stock! One tube lasts me approximately 3-4 months, and I have emptied 3 tubes as of today. I wipe just a tiny dab every day broadly across my "problem areas" in the evening, regardless of whether or not I have pimples, and when I do have pimples, I apply a bit more of it on the spot, twice a day. I think that it has really changed my skin quality for the better!

on 7/2/2017 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

FYI I use the European version. I purchase my tubes of Effaclar Duo from Boots in the UK/at a French pharmacy in Paris.

Absolute holy grail! I keep a tube by my side at all times: I keep multiple tubes at home and at least one in the office. I have at least two in my travel makeup arsenal because if I ever went a day without slapping this stuff on my face...

So what is this stuff? Marketed as a spot treatment with moisturising properties, the ingredients list boasts a chemical exfoliant + niacinamide + zinc (and many other skin-loving goodies), and it really works. The texture is fluid and very pleasant on the skin. I don't use a moisturiser on top of it during hotter times of the year and my skin feels just right. The best part is that it has never irritated my skin.

How to use? Just slap it all over your face, both day and night. There is a version with SPF which you can use during the day.

In terms of effectiveness, I find that this treatment wards away budding spots. And even if one does spring up (and I realise this always happens at the most inopportune moments), this is a quick fix and I have noticed my spots would generally subside within a couple of hours of applying this on my face. Compared to less elegant spot treatments such as differin and retin-A, this is much gentler on the skin and just as effective (for me at least). My skin would last a day or two without Effaclar Duo before succumbing to clogged pores and acne again so I genuinely couldn't do without it!

on 6/20/2017 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I cannot use this over my whole face due to drying the Sahara further, but strangely I find it an effective yet gentle spot treatment. I apply to affected area at night and within a day or two the break out is well on its way to healing seamlessly and doesn't leave the usual PIE or PIH that I experience with more intensive spot treatments. I don't find much difference applying before or after moisturiser but simply incorporating it the end stages of my night routine when needed works super well for me and it's business as usual. No fuss spot fighter. Test it out before use to make sure the actives don't irritate your skin, but on the whole I think it's quite gentle. I'd use it over my whole face if I wasn't so dry.

on 6/19/2017 4:12:00 PM

DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE OR DRY SKIN.
im not sure how it would work on oilier less sensitive or dry skin but it inflamed my pimples and caused them to take twice as long to heal as they normally would. it also irritated the skin around my pimples. I'm going to try and give it to a friend with oilier skin who does not suffer from hormonal acne, may update review based on how they feel about it.

on 5/31/2017 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

My skin doesn't break out often, but when it does I have a tube of this handy. For me, this really just works. Usually I get a breakout near my nose/on my cheek. I use this as a spot treatment, 2-3 times a day while I have a pimple. For me, it's more effective than using a mask to dry out the pimple. I find it clears up fairly quickly when I use this, and my skin doesn't look rough or get the acne scarring. I'm very careful though with cleansing and toning, and not picking the pimple in any way. I find the price to be somewhat high, but manageable compared to other acne lines that are a bit more expensive.

on 5/31/2017 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Disappointed.

Had high expectations for this product - hoped it would be 'the one' to get rid of acne marks. Cult classic, good reviews all round. But alas, two stars instead of one for not breaking me out (at all), sinking well into the skin, and the price was right. But other than that it did nothing.

Didn't improve skin texture, didn't even out skintone, didn't reduce the appearance of my marks. I applied copious amounts twice daily for two months and haven't noticed anything. I still use it (now in conjunction with other products and am nearly done with it - damn my every little bit counts mentality!). I make sure to apply enough sunscreen to avoid making my marks worse etc but nope - just, sadly, zero effect.

The search continues!

on 5/15/2017 8:28:00 PM

This is for the EFFACLAR DUO +
(the reformulated one)
I've never had break outs in my life but suddenly found myself growing 2-3 pimples at the same time. The moment one or two would heal, another would just grow.

A friend recommended La Roche Posay Effaclar duo + to me as a moisturiser day and night. I use it together with Proactive's toner. It didn't stop the pimples from forming but it did lighten my old blemishes. And my skin without the blemishes never looked so good and moisturised! I used it religiously for one month before I started to see my past pimple marks fade. I love it!!

(I just saw here now in the other reviews that this has a commedogenic ingredient... yikes! Well it's still working well for me and I saw it on sale so I have a fresh new box waiting for me once I've finished my old one.)

I'll just keep using it til I can go to a dermatologist!

PS. The only thing I saw to stop my break outs was to change my diet. I stopped having dairy and wheat, and ate a lot of fruits for two weeks. I Never got a pimple! But then the cravings started again... and so had another pimple.
Arrrghh!

on 4/23/2017 9:33:00 AM

This product really helped to clear my skin!

I have combination-dry skin. I recently bought a new Sukin moisturiser which made my skin completely freak out. I mean big cysts all over my chin, pimples on my forehead, rough cheeks. Disaster!!

I decided to give this a go. I use the face wash once a night and add 1-2 drops of tea tree oil. Since my skin can get quite dry especially in winter I didn't find the moisturiser to be enough so I also use Nivea Soft.

After about 4 days my skin was pretty much clear!

I think it's best suited for oily skin but it's gentle and hasn't dried my skin out! Definitely need extra moisturiser though, if you have dry skin.

on 4/19/2017 3:07:00 AM

I read a lot compliments about this product and I gave it a try when my skin is in a break-out recently. My skin is oily, blemish. On the first few days, the cream works life a charm, new acnes stopped appearing, my skin look a bit smoothier. I kept using it next 2 weeks but the effects decrease, new pimples still there. The cream seems have neither effect on pimples nor cyst I would say. I am patiently keep using my first tube affaclar and see if it improve anything.

DISCLOSING THAT I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS YET.
I just wanted to point out, to assist for those people looking for honest appropriate reviews to actual products.

The comments before me on the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo , in regards to the ingredients being comedogenic. I think you guys must meant to review the Effaclar Duo+ or misunderstood the ingredient list. The Effaclar Duo being reviewed here does NOT contain highly comedogenic ingredients at all and doesn't contain MYRISTYL MYRISTATE (but Duo+ does).

That being said, just because something is not known/listed as being comedogenic and even if the company claims it won't clog pores, does not guarantee that it won't. Everyone's skin is different.

Just wanted to point that there are two different products being reviewed.