NYX Powder Blush - Pinched

NYX Powder Blush - Pinched

4.5

mica, talc, magnesium stearate, dimethicone, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl palmitate, methylparaben, propylparaben, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, ethylhexyl, methoxycinnamate, diethylhexyl syringylidenemalonate May contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxide black, iron oxide red, iron oxide yellow, D&C Red 6 Na. Salt, D&C Red 7 Ca Lake, D&C Red 28 Al Lake, Manganese Violet, FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake

on 11/6/2017 6:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Pinched is a really pretty pink blush with shimmery gold reflex in it. It is comparable to the Nars orgasm blush but the shimmer is significantly more subtle and flattering on the skin. Absolutely love this blush, only real downfall is the packaging, it is very cheap looking. In saying that though, it would be great to travel with, as it is so small and light!

I bought this because I was curious about NARS Orgasm but figured it might not suit my colouring. I read that this was a good alternative for warm toned people. I have an extremely yellow neck and body, but a very neutral face. I can pull off cool/neutral tones if I wear jeans and long sleeves. I wear around an NC15 - NC20 foundation so I usually buy warm toned products (excluding blush from now on - see my last paragraph).

Overall, I'm very disappointed in it. It's very difficult to blend, even when using a brush that's been dipped in face powder. If I blend the outer edge it takes aaages and the blended colour on my skin tone usually looks like I've been hit hard in the face. Yikes. I HAVE to blend using a face/translucent powder (either Rimmel Stay Matte or Innisfree No Sebum) because it just doesn't blend on its own, even if I apply a powder over my foundation but under my blush. The only way I can get this blush to look acceptable on my face is if I use 3 different brushes - a brush to apply (either RT blush brush or a natural Cala blush brush which is more diffused), then the RT powder brush to blend the edges for ages, then the ELF kabuki brush to go all over it. That is an absolute waste of time and not worth the results. I usually use a light hand when applying blush and do tiny upwards dabs on my cheek and then blend up and out, but for Pinched I found it looked more natural to actually blend straight down instead.

It's a glittery dark pink mauve in the pan but on my face it often looks like an almost-matte peachy pink although it looks like I've applied highlight on my cheekbones when I haven't. It lasts for around 8 hours on me, but that's in combination with my primer, setting powder, finishing powder, and setting spray. I've used MAC Fix + and a rosewater/glycerin spray over this and both turned it a hint darker and brought out a small amount of shimmer. It looked nicer that way though.

I'd give this an 8/10 for pigmentation strength - so if you like sheerer blushes then avoid this, especially since it's terrible to blend. I've been using this 5 times a week for the last two months and it still looks brand new, even the writing on the lid.

PROS: minimal packaging, pigmented, lasts a long amount of time.

CONS: difficult to blend, colour can look like you've been punched (YMMV)

THINGS TO NOTE: has a beautiful glow when used with a setting spray, do not recommend for anyone lighter than NC25 who want a sheer blush.

I'm sure this would work great for people with deeper tones/a love for blush, but I'm personally going to be destashing it and looking into NARS and other brands that have reputations for being easy to blend. I need to be much more wary when reading reviews for products that are considered cheap dupes because they're generally skewed (my apologies to anyone who actually had this work well for them though - I don't mean to dismiss your experience) because people often give cheap products extra stars which don't necessarily reflect the quality.

I've since decided that I prefer the appearance of neutral and cool toned blushes on my skin, because they actually suit me very nicely even though I wear it with warm foundation, warm shadow and warm lip gloss. This product was the catalyst for me realising that warm blushes, even when applied lightly or on a small surface area, tend to make my whole face look more peach toned and at odds with my neck.

on 3/6/2016 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

The only reason I picked this up is because it's being touted as a dupe for Nars Orgasm. I'm a little disappointed, the colouring is pretty similar but the blendability is no where close. I have a fairly light complexion so when I apply this it looks a bit blotchy. Maybe I'm heavy handed? I have moved on to the Tarte blush in Fanciful..

Great colour! It took me a little while to learn how to apply it properly because I am very fair, but now that I've had some practice the colour really makes my skin and eyes pop!

I have a few blushes in my collection but there are only two I wear most often. This is one of them. For a long time I had been eyeing NARS Orgasm. Now that's a beautiful coral blush with golden shimmers. However it's one of those blushes that you can't really use everyday. So to pay $30 for a once in a while blush is absurd. That's when I decided to take a look a NYX Pinched, which some call it a dupe for NARS Orgasm. Compared to that blush, this blush is deeper in shade but doesn't have an overwhelming highlight effect which I like! Definitely suitable for everyday. NYX Pinched is what I see as a coral color with some golden shimmers (not too much). First of all the packaging is cute and small but of feels a bit cheap. It's fine. The blush is mad cheap so why would that even matter. It being small makes it easy to travel with and store. The pigmentation is awesome! I definitely need to be light in how I handle my blush brush for this. The quality is great. It doesn't break me out. The only issue is that since it is very pigmented it can be a little difficult to blend. However if you work in small steps, and don't work heavy handed, then it should be fine.
I really recommend this blush. My squinting is your typical Indian golden undertone medium skin (NC 37/42 in studio fix, c5 in MAC F&B, and Barcelona in NARS Sheer Glow). The coral really goes well with my skin tone and I highly recommend it for those with yellow undertones. Even if you don't have yellow undertone, I don't think this blush is hard to pull off. I am not a makeup expert but it's definitely worth a try.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

A pinky peach leaning more coral with gold shimmer.
On the skin it looks a little frosty in my opinion.
I am not a fan of the texture of these blushes especially the cheap shimmer which just looks juvenile. Not at all a glow.

on 12/30/2015 12:47:00 PM

Excellent! I had a Chanel blush for a long time & wanted to change it up. Always wanted to try Nars orgasm, but just can't afford it right now. I read a lot of reviews which said this was a dupe, & since it's way less expensive I thought I'd try it out.

It is awesome - peachy pink with a light shimmer. It's highly pigmented so a little goes a long way. I have very fair skin & am always mildly terrified when it comes to blushes & bronzers, but this one is great. Again - like all NYX products I've tried so far - it's VERY pigmented so you'll only need to use a little.

Love it, can't wait to try the other shades, highly recommend.

on 11/17/2015 11:19:00 PM

It's very affordable and it comes in a sturdy plastic case. The pigmentation is just right and I don't get a lot of fall out when I dip my RT blush brush on pan. It gives off a sheer pinkish glow with the slightest hint of shimmer. I was not expecting that a product cheaper than other drugstore brands can be this impressive! Worth every penny I spent!

on 9/6/2015 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my first blush purchase in over 10 years. I generally don't wear it and focus on just eyes and lips, but when I wear foundation with more coverage, I look too one-note, so I went looking for blush. After reading about how life-changing this color and brand is, I bought it on Amazon (our local Ulta doesn't carry this).

I'm NC20 and this was very pigmented on me. Glad for the prior advice to use a light hand. It's a lovely shade and looks like me blushing, so if you're pale, this may work for you. I use setting spray and this stays on all day on me. In the future, I think I'll go for something a tad tamer so I don't have to worry about getting a light application, but I do like the brand, the price, and the color choices.

on 8/29/2015 3:30:00 PM

Bought this as heard it was an excellent dupe for Nars Orgasm. Was not disappointed. In fact, this blush is slightly more pigmented and therefore looked almost as good on after 8 hrs at work as it did first thing in the morning. With Nars Orgasm, I find the colour has worn off and needs to be reapplied after a few hrs. Therefore will be sticking with the Nyx from now on :)