Cacharel Lou Lou

I used to wear my mams perfume when I was a teenager, she had a pretty big collection of perfumes and id grab whichever one was handy but one scent has stuck in my head all those years, I still remember the day I wore it as I got so many compliments and I loved the scent myself but ive never been able to remember what perfume it was and havnt found anything similar since. Today in the pharmacy I was casually spraying testers when I randomly picked up loulou and gave it try, how happy was I to discover it was the perfume id been looking for all these years. Its such a nostalgic scent, reminds me of being 16, I sprayed myself with the tester and purchased the 50ml bottle. I then went for an interview and as soon as I walked into the room the interviewer commented on how lovely I smelled.

Its a strong, sweet, powdery scent that lasts ages.. to me it smells like those little Parma violet sweets from the 90's. Not for everyone but a signature scent for me.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Just recently got into trying to wear perfume again. Had, lost interest because of coworkers with huge disdain for almost any fragrance. So had just limited myself to these Bath and Body Works body-spray type products. Bought this Lou Lou out of nostalgia from 25-30 years ago. Even better than I remember. I feel ecstatic when I smell it. It goes on like Deep Woods Off, but then in twenty minutes it's a snazzy bright oriental. Lasts hours, powdery in the end. Don't know about sillage. No complaints from coworkers, though. Seems much for appropriate for me in my forties than me in my teens.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I respect and admire Loulou as an old school complex powerhouse but it definitely wears me and not the other way around. I have tried the vintage.

Opens with a full bodied blast of spiced floral which is very distinctive and expertly blended. The heart is chock full of incense, sweet plum and tuberose. The base is even sweeter and more powdery. Sillage is bombastic and longevity from now till eternity.

Give Loulou a try if you are into heavy florientals; it's a great fragrance but proceed with caution and full stomach.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought Loulou without smelling it first. It got such great reviews, that I was sure it must be a winner. Perhaps I got a bad bottle or it's my body chemistry, but this smells awful on me. There is this sort of ozone smell that reminds me of the novacaine they give you at the dentist office. I get the sensation of something strongly chemical dripping down the back of my throat when I smell this. Needless to say, I won't be repurchasing.

Edit: The more I wear this the more I like it. It's such a weird scent. It starts off really dry and powdery with that ozone smell I mentioned before. Over time it gets sweeter with tuberose and something fruity smelling like jam. There's still something a little strange and bitter in the background though that reminds me of plastic or rubber. However, there must be beauty in such strangeness, because I feel compelled to continue wearing it.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

It's all in the chemistry!

Tried Eden and Lou Lou 'quite' liked them both, tentatively!

Gave it time, but on my return decided on Eden, (partially influenced by the bottle I feel),
but also encouraged by the shop assistant, who jollied me that Eden was more popular - however, I was feeling differently, but did purchase Eden in the sale that day.

Almost as soon as I hit the underground and the heavy woody aroma that had put me off Lou Lou, became a pleasant fruitier cajole, and I knew that it was suiting me.

I didn't at any time get the chemical residue that some are complaining of. I intend to try it again once more before I purchase it.

.. and may I say, Eden which I put on sparingly before leaving for work (on wrists, then dabbed to carotid artery area of neck; has pleased me, as I am complimented hours after when I forgotten I am wearing any (which is just a tad worrying - I hate to stand out because of perfume I am wearing. But when someone comes into an office at work where I am a temporary occupant and says "you smell lovely!" It's a winner for me and I am confident that I am being sparing on application.

They are both strong fragrances. So whilst I was seeking a handbag fragrance - I have no need whatever to carry such lasting perfume around and that pleases me no end!
Just maybe, I am going to love them both.

Plyitagnsam

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Cacharel Lou Lou is a bold fragrance. It is very floral with an oriental base. It is very unique and I haven't smelt anything quite like it. It is very heady and can be overpowering very easily, so you only need to spray a small amount. The main notes I detect are iris, jasmine, lily and incense. It has a slight powdery scent to it. It is a throwback scent, it isn't particularly modern but still doesn't smell dated. It makes me feel like a Parisian in the 80s. This scent is intense and gorgeous, very sexual and feminine. It needs to be worn with confidence. It last all day, and sticks to clothing for many days. A great signature scent.

Top Notes: Mimosa, Iris, Lily, Plum, Chinese Cinnamon Wood, Violet, Cassia, Jasmine, Anise.
Heart Notes: Tuberose, Orange Blossom, Orris Root, Heliotrope, Ylang Ylang.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Musk, Benzoin, Vanilla, Incense.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff. First, I love the bottle. It looks like a wacky turquoise plastic new age crystal or something. The stuff inside is similarly witty. To me, it is a dense, heavy, linear scent that has a lot going on but still manages to smell completely cohesive. It's like a plume of creamy-powdery-flowery smoke. I smell individual accords sometimes: the sweet, jammy plum-tiare-tuberose, the cheerful scratchiness of cheap head shop incense, the plush heliotrope-vanilla-sandalwood base... and yet, from beginning to end, this perfume is saying one thing: fun. It's not dumb fun, but LouLou is out to have a good time, and she is strong enough to pull you right along with her.

If Lou Lou was music, it would be the wonderful jazz of beautiful Esperanza Spalding. It is this lactonic, slightly boozy, sweet but at times dark beauty that could compete with expensive niche fragrances if it was marketed differently. To me it is a rare blend that can speak to me in a lot of ways. I love its sweet, floral-oriental opening with exotic tiare treated with dark, shadowy nuances that Cacharel has done so beautifully in more than one example. The floral notes transition beautifully into a milky, comfortable scent that reminds me of Irish Cream. Lou Lou is warm, balsamic and comfortable but very few comfort fragrances are at the same time as womanly, voluptuous and passionate.

Good sillage and lasting power (Usually one or two spritzes is enough for the whole day).

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

LouLou is said to have been inspired by the famous silent movie star, Louise Brooks... which perplexes me because unlike Arpege (another 'purple' perfume), LouLou does not evoke that era at all. I don't know about the original formulation/parfum, but the current EDP smells more like a cross between Vanderbilt (minus the aldehydes & pineapple) & Poison, with the addition of incense, bubblegum & plastic doll notes. And those two scents came out just a few years before LouLou did (Vanderbilt - 1982, Poison - 1985, LouLou - 1987), so go figure. I like this current version well enough, but since I am already too familiar with this smell, it doesn't wow me. The bottle & box are hideously '80s. Cacharel REALLY should update that packaging (though I think the parfum bottle, which looks like a genie lamp or something, is kind of cute in a kitschy sort of way). On the plus side, the longevity is INSANE (lasting practically the whole day on me), so if you have warm skin like mine, you only need 1-2 sprays. Overall rating: 3 1/2 lippies.

*From Michael Edwards:

Fragrance Family: Rich Soft Oriental

Notes:
Top: Blackcurrant buds (Cassis), Leaves (Green), Mandarin, Marigold (Tagete)
Heart: Heliotrope, Ylang-ylang, Tiare flower, Mimosa, Jasmine
Base: Incense, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Iris (Orris), Musk, Sandalwood

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Absolutely gorgeous oriental, the best way to wear it in hot summer!

Popular Fragrances