Urban Decay NAKED

Urban Decay NAKED

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 4/2/2011 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Edit: for those voting unhelpful on my review: really? Is it really unhelpful to you or do you just disagree? If you like the product, great, I'm glad if works for you. But someone having a different opinion than you about a product and expressing it isn't unhelpful. Okay, just wanted to get that out there.

I do not like being in the minority as far as not liking this product goes. I really, really wanted to like this product. I was on a waiting list at Sephora for 6 months to get it. When it came in, I went right in and gladly shelled out the 50something bucks. (I have the newer, slightly more expensive version, which comes with a brush instead of the eyeliner). The brush ended up being the one thing in it that made me not completely regret purchasing it. I like UDPP too, but did not need another one. Anyway, the palette itself: highly overrated. Here's why: it's a mess. Every "look" I've tried with this ends up looking the same because all the colors blend together. Also, as usual, there are a few eyeshadows in here, in typical Urban Decay fashion, that are straight-up glitterbombs. There are only two matte shades, and they are nothing special or unique. That's the thing about this palette as a whole: NONE of the colors are special or unique. If you have a good amount of eyeshadow, and you like neutrals, you already have these colors. You already have BETTER versions of these colors. I have a Sonia Kashuk duo from Target that has a better combo of neutral shades, with better pigmentation. Usually I find UD's eyeshadows to be smooth and well pigmented... these I just find have too much fall-out and are, as a whole, too glittery. The one cool thing (besides the brush and UDPP) is the packaging. It definitely looks nice. If you want your eyes to be a blurry brownish glittery mess... here you go. I'm sorry I couldn't like this, I feel bad returning it (as I usually do when I am this dissatisfied with a product) as it was so hard to obtain. So I will probably have to get rid of it some other way. Sigh.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Pictures and swatches at the end of this review.The ever so wonderful Urban Decay Naked Palette! If your'e familiar with Urban Decay eyeshadows, then you either love 'em or hate 'em for their glitter. I love their Deluxe shadows and wish that some of their glittery eyeshadows didn't have any glitter because the color underneath is perfect! Which is what intrigued me when I first heard about an Urban Decay palette that wasn't going to be a glitter bomb!If you like glitter, that's your thing, but not my cup of tea. Not only that, Urban Decay is sort of known for putting several of the same eyeshadows into their different palettes and books of shadows. This one I'm proud to say has 4 new shades in it. Plus, I've found their eyeshadows to be pigmented, super smooth and easy to work with. Except for that glitter fallout throughout the day!But here UD has not only maintained their wonderful texture and pigmentation here, they did it without glitter! Well, mostly. If anything this palette is full of neutrals and for those of you who think, boring, then this might not be for you. But for those of us who love and use neutrals a lot, even if you have a lot of neutrals or if you have none, this palette is convenient and adds a lot of options to your already existing or non existing selection!The palette measures (while closed) approximately 7 7/8" X 2 1/2". The palette is brown velvet with gold letters. It looks sleek and pretty! Plus, if you notice the weight on the eyeshadows, you'll see that each pan is the equivalent of a regular full sized UD eyeshadow. So you're getting 12 FS eyeshadows for $44! It's a wonderful bargain. But enough chit chat. Here are a few pictures of the palette itself with a few swatches of the colors on my NC40 skin. None of the pictures are with flash.Here are the eyeliners
Here are the first four eyeshadows:

Here are the middle 4 shadows:

And the last 4 shadows:

Now the palette itself:

continued >>

on 7/13/2010 10:06:00 AM

This is an awesome palette! I've been using it every day since I got it, and I like that you can do so many different looks, from neutral daytime-appropriate to more sultry or smoky night looks or bronzey summery looks or cooler-toned greys. I think the quality is right on par with the UD single eyeshadows. With 12 full size shadows, a double-ended eyeliner, and a mini Primer Potion, this is an incredible value (I bought mine for $44). These shades are shimmery, sometimes frosty, satiny, or matte. There's some very finely milled glitter, but it swatches as more of a sheen on my skin. I have a little fallout when applying these colors, but I get that with any eyeshadow brand. I will also note that most of the swatches I've seen online appear warmer (to me) than the palette in real life. Here's more information on the shades themselves.

Virgin - new shade - A satiny mostly matte ivory shade. Very pretty and works for me all over lid or as a highlight. Very smooth texture. Not chalky.

Sin - permanent - Super shimmery (maybe a little frosty) champagne shade with super soft texture.

Naked - permanent - A matte nude/buff shade that works all over lid or as highlight for darker skintones, or in crease for fairer skintones. The mattes in this palette are very easy to blend.

Sidecar - new shade - A shimmery (not frosty) taupey brown. This one has some fall-out glitter.

Buck - new shade - Matte medium brown. Super soft and very pigmented. I like to wear this in the crease for my day time look (with Virgin all over lid). My favorite color in the palette. I think this would be similar to MAC Cork or Wedge.

Half Baked - permanent - Goldish coppery bronze shade, very shimmery and slightly frosty (like Sin). I actually think this shade is sort of out of place in this palette.

Smog - permanent - This is a satiny dark bronze, very pretty. This shade really flatters brown eyes. I like to wear it as liner or in the outer V.

Darkhorse - new shade - Very dark brown with a bit of shimmer. It looks more chocolatey in the pan, but I swatched it next to Bobbi Brown Espresso and it was almost as dark (but with shimmer). I really like this as a liner shade.

Toasted - permanent - This is a satiny sort-of-plummy and sort-of-coppery brown. Reminds me of the lighter shade in Nars Kalahari. I wear it all over the lids for a simple sheen.

Hustle - new shade - This looks like a darkened plum brown, but it just swatches as plain brown on me. Very light shimmer. Good for lining or possibly in crease.

Creep - new shade - This is a shimmery black with a tiny bit of blue undertone (not very noticeable on me). It reminds me of MAC Black Tied.

Gunmetal - permanent - A really pretty shimmery gray with a silver sheen.

The liners are Zero (black) and Whiskey (dark brown), both matte and very long lasting.

I highly recommend this palette. The price is awesome, and it's just a versatile piece to have in your makeup arsenal.

Pale girls, stop wearing this palette. You look harsh and you've wasted your money.

Non-pale girls, stop wearing this palette. You look too glittery and you've wasted your money.

I know people will vote this review down - notice that every negative review, no matter how objective, has at least a few unhelpful votes? That should say something about the sheep mentality surrounding this palette.

I'm NW15 and I got this as a gift from someone very dear who knows I like makeup. I see her often, so I gave this palette a try for two months. I absolutely hate it. Two out of the twelve colors are very nice on their own. Overall, the shade range is terrible. Every other color looks like a play on the last one, and it doesn't help that hardly any are matte. The consistency is bad. Glittery, frosty cheeks often occur as a result of wearing this palette. One of mine also crumbled really badly and was a pain to clean off of my counter. And the packaging is a disaster. After two months, it's all bent and dirty looking. Really trashy looking for $48. Granted I did spend the money myself, but I feel bad for my friend.

Every fair-skinned girl that I see wearing this just doesn't look right in the colors. I think if you're fair and insist on using these, use one shade at a time and incorporate it with something more warm. I tried blending three of these together the first day I got it, and was horrified when I looked in the mirror at Nordstrom later that day - I looked so harsh, and I consider myself to be quite skilled at eyeshadow application.

I love Urban Decay's 24/7 Eyeliners, 24/7 Shadow Pencils, Primer Potion, Deluxe Eye Shadows, setting sprays, and Feminine Palette. I think Urban Decay is great. I think the Naked palette is a big waste of money unless you have a certain skin tone (though I'm not sure what) and don't mind a limited amount of very glittery shades prone to fall-out. I think there are many other offerings out there that a person could buy for a 'go-to' palette good for everyday or travel. This isn't one of them. I think I'd rather bite the bullet and make a custom MAC palette than be saddled with this one any longer.

on 9/25/2010 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm one of those people who has 17 white shirts that are all slightly different, 22 black sweaters...all slightly different...I'm obsessed with "the perfect" neutrals, so when this palette came out I thought the angels were singing. Well, although I rated it a 5, I just returned mine to Sephora today (after lusting after it for MONTHS) and here's why!

First, the good: I had never used UD shadows before and wow, they are amazing quality. Ditto with the eye pencils. All the colors in the palette coordinate beautifully. And as everyone has mentioned, it's amazing value for all you get.

Now, the bad: Since this palette is sold out pretty much everywhere, it's nigh impossible to get your hands on one to swatch before you buy. Yes, I had viewed all the swatches online, but actually putting it on your skin is something different. Sooooo....I was very disappointed at how many of the colors were way too shimmery/satiny for me at over 45. I tried and tried, but the shimmer colors emphasized every little crinkle in my eyelids (that I didn't know I had until I bought this). Yes, there are a few mattes - but I have similar Lancome shades to the mattes that are of similar quality. Overall, it just wasn't working for me. The other issue, as some others have noted, is these colors are VERY warm...I'm quite yellow, but if you have pink undertones I can see that this may not be ideal for you.

I was very sad to return my "baby" to Sephora but if you are also in the 35-plus category, you may want to literally get your hands on this to test before you buy! If you are younger, if you're new to eyeshadow and if you are warm toned, this is an AMAZING buy.

on 8/11/2010 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

ok...don't send me hate mail but this pallette is just so-so. i won't pull down the ratings because i'm sure it accomplished what it was set out to do. i don't know how to put this ...but a neutral on a caucasian woman is not the same as a neutral on an african american woman (i have the same issue with shoes and bras). so with that said, these colors are not my go-to everyday neutrals and i don't love this as much as others. i will give it a 4 on the quality and value. i have very deep brown complexion and finding 'neutral' eyeshadows are a chore for me so if anyone shares my complexion or is a make up artist and can offer some assistance, i'd be grateful. OH YEAH, AND THIS IS NOT A LE, STOP BUYING 4 AND 5 AND STOP PAYING $100 FOR THIS ON EBAY!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

***Please click "continued" to see comparisons with Dior Earth Reflections Quint and with MAC shadows!!!***

I just got this today. I eagerly opened the package from Sephora to find the product contained in plastic, nestled in a lovely little purple pseudo-velvet container that is henceforth useless, haha.

The back of the package reads, "Our neutrals won't leave you naked. 12 multifaceted shades (including four exclusives) escalate your "basics" to rich textures of matte, shimmer, satin, and sparkle. Experiment with office-appropriate, deep and smoky, or summertime bronzed looks. Go naked, not neutral...clothing is optional."

Value-wise, this is great. As you've probably heard, 12 full-size high-quality shadows, plus a mini UDPP, plus a double-ended liner of Whiskey and Zero for just $44 (which comes down to $3.67 per shadow when you ignore everything else.) However, given the hype and the apparent limited availability of this product, please realize this: THIS IS A PERMANENT PRODUCT. I repeat, this palette is PERMANENT. As wonderful as I truly believe it is, you do NOT have to scramble to get your hands on this on eBay. Wait, and good things will come to you. :) Keep an eye on Sephora - that's how I got mine, early January of 2011.

Now, on to the shadows!! Between my two sets of comparison photos I swatched just about every shadow in this palette - and I am INCREDIBLY impressed. I was using my finger to swatch, and the shadows were so soft, yet pigmented in a single swatch. In this, they performed better than the MAC AND than the Dior eyeshadows!

Urban Decay Naked Palette v. MAC

I will preface these comparisons by saying that NONE of these are dupes of each other.
-UD Virgin vs. MAC Shroom: Both shades are satin-finish, but Shroom is more sheer, beige, and shimmery, while Virgin is definitely more pigmented and a lighter hue.
-UD Sidecar vs. L'Oreal HIP Sassy vs. UD Darkhorse vs. UD Toasted: I don't have MAC Satin Taupe to compare, but I've heard Sassy is very, very similar. However, all of these shades are very different, as you can see by the picture.
-UD Creep v. MAC Typographic: I panicked when I first saw Creep, as Typographic was a recent purchase. Redundancy? No. Creep is less pigmented and more sparkly, while Typographic is definitely darker.
-UD Gunmetal v. MAC Smoke & Diamonds: Had to compare the only two real gray shadows that I own. However, you can see that Gunmetal is much, much cooler, with pronounced sparkles. Smoke & Diamonds is definitely warmer; taupe rather than gray, though not as green as it appears to be in the picture.

Urban Decay Naked Palette vs. Dior Earth Reflections Quint 609

My other neutrals palette! I also worried that perhaps I had been redundant with respect to my Dior Quint - not so.
-UD Virgin v. Dior 1: Dior 1 is definitely paler, and very, very sparkly, while Virgin has a quieter, satin finish.
-UD Sin v. Dior 2: On my skin, Dior 2 looks almost exactly like Dior 1. -__- Sin is definitely darker and pinker, and it has the same level of iridescence as Diors 1 and 2.
-UD Half Baked v. Dior 3: Nothing alike. Half Baked is a rich sparkly gold; Dior 3 is a light cream - perhaps similar to MAC Ricepaper?
-UD Sidecar and UD Smog v. Dior 4: Nothing alike. Sidecar definitely contains brown and pink, while Dior 4 is a true taupe. Smog is a rich bronze. All are iridescent.
-UD Darkhorse and UD Hustle v. Dior 5: The closest out of all my comparisons. As you can (hopefully) see from the picture, the three are basically the same shade - a dark, warm taupe - made progressively lighter. Darkhorse and Dior 5 are iridescent, while I'd describe Hustle as satin.

Thanks for reading! For further reference, I'll summarize the various finishes below:
-Virgin: satin
-Sin: frost
-Naked: matte
-Sidecar: frost
-Buck: matte
-Half Baked: frost
-Smog: frost
-Darkhorse: frost (but a bit more toned-down than the others)
-Toasted: frost
-Hustle: satin
-Creep: matte with shimmer
-Gunmetal: satin with shimmer/glitter continued >>

on 8/27/2010 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Believe the hype!! Everything good that people say about this product is true. All of the colors are amazingly pigmented and super wearable. The pan sizes are generous. And the added bonus of the double sided pencil and the mini UDPP are just the cherry on top of this Sundae! I can see a person who only wears neutrals, buying and using only this palette forever. I'm glad UD didn't ruin it by making this palette LE. A winner all around. The best single pre-made palette I've ever purchased, and I'm in my mid to late 40's, so I've purchased quite a few palettes in my lifetime. Also, UD was wise to not include the annoying Midnight Cowboy Rides Again in this palette. That Cowboy needs to stop riding with it's obnoxious glitter fallout, and UD seems to love to include it in every pallete. So thank you UD for letting the Cowboy off it's horse! Go out and get this palette for yourself, for your friends, you won't be disappointed. Promise.

on 7/31/2010 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought and love this palette. However, for those of you interested in dupes, here's what I've discovered. UD half Baked= NYX #114 Oro or NYX # 113 Cork. UD Smog=NYX #106 Golden Dune. UD Hustle=NYX #ES Root Beer. UD Dark Horse= Loreal Hip Duo Dynamic (Dark Side). UD Creep= Loreal Hip Duo Mischief (Dark Side). When you add it all up, UD Naked Palette is still a better bang for the bucks. But for those of you who want some of the colors, pick up these a la carte singles.

on 10/23/2011 3:55:00 PM

I hated this so much, I actually took time out of my mad work schedule to return it to Sephora.

Pros:

- The appeal of twelve eyeshadows, a brush, and a primer for $48 can be quite enticing.
- Urban Decay is cruelty free.
- The brush was great.

Cons:

- These colors are a joke. Just because they're neutral doesn't mean there can't be more variety. Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Chanel, Dior, and MAC can give you eyeshadow palettes and quads with greater diversity. You don't get as many individual colors, but you still get more distinct colors that don't all blend together.
- The quality of these eyeshadows is inconsistent. Some had nice staying power, and others were subject to smudging, poor application ability, or muddy looking pigmentation.
- The fall-out is ridiculous, unless you're at the club and want glitter-streaked cheekbones.
- The primer potion leaves much to be desired. Try Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer instead.
- The velvet case is cheap and just screams 'Get me dirty and dingy and cracked, por favor!'

Why this palette has attained a cult following is a mystery to me. Again, I believe the amount of shadows for the price is a big draw, as well as Urban Decay's brilliant marketing scheme. I also think that for girls in their teens and early twenties, Urban Decay is a trendy, cool brand to shop from that isn't MAC, Clinique, Benefit, and the like; it's slightly less mainstream, but still well-known and well-respected. But I do not feel the quality of what you receive in exchange for $48 + tax is worth all of this insanity. If you're happy with it, good for you. But for me, I'm disappointed and unimpressed.