Neutrogena T/Sal Therapeutic Shampoo, Scalp Build-up Control

Neutrogena T/Sal Therapeutic Shampoo, Scalp Build-up Control

4.3

on 3/12/2016 5:38:00 PM

Absolutely love this guy! I live in Canada and it is not available here so I get my cousin to bring it for me from the States whenever he comes. It is incredibly gentle yet amazing for removing build up and maintaining a healthy scalp. Once a week should be good to use. I hope they never stop making this. This really is a very unique product.

P.S. I really wish people wouldn't complain about this not having any fragrance. This is actually a really really awesome thing! I don't think people realize how bad fragrance in personal products is for you. This has no smell... It is just super gentle. Really love it!

on 1/19/2016 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I used to use the Coal tar shampoo as a teenager. The T/Sal is really what I should have been using. Now that my skin has calmed down it's mostly my hair I fuss over. I have very fine hair and experimented for years with co-washing and heavy, moisturizing shampoos because I wanted to prevent the flat, dull, frizzy hair I get right after washing. Slowly though the just plain icky feeling on my scalp became unbearable. I like to feel clean after I shower.

I really like this product and hope they never stop making it. I like that it's not drying or heavily fragranced. My hair feels very clean after I use this. I've gotten lazy about using conditioner after so I often just towel dry and apply a leave-in (Alterna CC cream). My hair has never looked or felt better.

To Read all 20 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It is rare to find a product so good that I actually feel compelled to write a review (I used to be an active MUA reviewer, but it's been quite some time since I've been back - hello ladies!). This product was so astonishing to me that I felt like I had to share, so that others might be helped. I switched shampoos recently to L'Oreal's Nutri-Gloss shampoo in the bright pink bottle and something in that really irritated my scalp - it became flaky and greasy at the same time. This has happened to me once before a long time ago, and not knowing how to handle it at the time, I was using zinc pyrithione shampoos like Head & Shoulders before I found that all it does is glue the flakes to your scalp so that when you stop using it, you experience an avalanche of dandruff. Thus began a year long struggle with scalp issues. Fast forward to now, and my scalp hasn't a problem for years until I used that cheap L'Oreal shampoo (which will go straight in the trash). I'm smarter and now know that the way to take care of a flaky scalp is to exfoliate then treat - and stay away from zinc pyrithione at all costs. It took me about a week to realize that flakes are now a problem again and I ran to Target last night to find a product that fit the bill. Neutrogena's T/Sal Shampoo (Scalp Build-up Control) is perfect, with exfoliating salicylic acid to get rid of the flakes. I knew the reviews were good as far as people being able to get rid of their sebhorritic dermatitis, dandruff, scalp acne etc etc. And they are all true. Shampoo (really massage it into your scalp), leave in for 5 mins, then wash out - in one wash all flakes were gone for me. What the other reviews don't tell you is that you'll have the most beautiful hair of your life afterwards. My hair is bouncy, so shiny, and softer than it's been in years. It's a clarifying shampoo, so the bottle doesn't recommend using it more than a couple times a week, but this wasn't drying at all for me. It's a little pricey at $7 for a 4.5oz bottle at Target compared to typical DS shampoo, but if your scalp problems have driven you to desperation, it's worth it to get the one thing that works. I think regardless of dandruff I'll probably keeping buying this forever if it continues working like this and use it to clarify my hair once a week for general hair/scalp health. I think others have commented on the smell - in a world where everything in the hair care aisle is heavily fragranced and smells like coconuts and rainbows, I think we've gotten used to everything smelling like that and it surprises people when this does not. But it doesn't smell bad, just neutral. It doesn't make your hair smell like anything after. I use a normal conditioner with this (which does smell good), and my hair just smells like the conditioner I use. Would highly recommend this product. If this is your first time dealing with a problematic scalp, don't waste your time and emotions going through every other product out there - skip straight to this and be done with it.

A must have if you get scalp acne or if you have hard water that messes with your shampoo! Can be used to remove soap residue from the skin as well!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

3 yrs ago I dyed my hair and experienced severe chemical burns (2nd degree w/ blisters and all). I have a lot of experience coloring my own hair and had been doing it for 15 yrs without issue until that night. It took about a yr for the last of the blisters to go away and for my hair to regrow. But, sadly, my scalp has never been the same again. So for 3 years I've been trying to treat the build up on my scalp from the trauma. My scalp because very sensitive and very flaky, the skin always itched and felt tight. Nothing I did helped. No medications, no creams or treatment shampoos. Until this. After the first use of this shampoo, I could tell a difference. My scalp didn't hurt, didn't feel uncomfortable or itchy for the first time....in 3 years! My flaking was greatly reduced and it has been getting better the more that I use this. I can't put into words how happy and at peace I finally am. I cried for joy after using this. I would give this 5 lippies all around if the small bottle of this didn't cost $14 where I live...but I'm still going to buy it anyway. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for when this goes on sale and stock up!

And of course, I've never colored my hair again after that experience. I'll just live with the gray hair and make sure that my makeup is on point instead. :D

on 8/23/2014 7:52:00 AM

This stuff is great. It completely cleans & refreshes my scalp like no other shampoo. It could be a thinner consistency to make it easier for the medication to reach my scalp but that's just me being picky. It takes some work but after massaging it in the suds are super stiff and stay where u want them to. I leave the shampoo in for about 5 minutes.

Could be a placebo effect but my hair has been growing a lot faster since I started using this. I make sure to use T Sal at least once a week for maintenance. My house has very hard water to I'm prone to getting product build up on my scalp but it hasn't been an issue w/this shampoo

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Very helpful to relief itching and flaking from my dry scalp. Contains 3% salicylic acid. I like that it is fragrance and preservative free. When I use this, I massage into shampoo into my scalp for about 30 seconds. Then, leave it on hair for 5 minutes to give the salicylic acid time to work. I rotate this with other medicated shampoos containing zinc, sulfur and glycolic acid for best results.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've always had an itchy, dry, flaky scalp. At some point I figured out that my rough, uneven skin on my face and body benefited a lot from salicylic acid. This winter my scalp has been even worse than usual, so I looked around online for some ideas and found this. It had never even occurred to me that there were scalp treatments like this, so I was pretty excited.

I've only been using it about a week or so, but I do think that my flakes are clearing up. But I think my scalp needs moisture in addition to the exfoliation, so I'm going to keep on what I've been doing, which is to use a little bit of Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Tea Tree conditioner as a moisturizer of sorts on my scalp. Together I think I can balance out my skin and finally have a normal scalp. Yay!

The biggest surprise about this product for me is how it made my hair feel. It was silky and hydrated without feeling like it was coated with something, that light-but-soft feeling I usually only get from salon shampoos. Maybe it's just a product of the drugstore shampoos I usually subject my hair to, but I was really impressed. I'd expected to be making a trade-off between my flaky scalp and my dry-ish ends, and instead I didn't even use conditioner, just a little frizz cream when I got out of the shower.

on 8/9/2012 12:27:00 PM

I have been using various dandruff shampoos for years and nothing seemed to help. After usIng this ONCE I could see a difference. After using for a week my dandruff and itchy scalp seems to have disappeared. It doesn't smell the greatest, but it isn't as strong as the nasty T-gel shampoo! The scent is faint and doesn't linger, so the benefits definitely outweigh this one con. I think I paid around $7 for the larger bottle, which still isn't very large, but will last a while since I have very short hair. I wish it came in a pump bottle but that is pretty much my only complaint. Will definately repurchase and recommend.

on 7/6/2012 6:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my new favorite dandruff shampoo, and I don't expect to switch to anything else in the near future. I use it three times a week, and it keeps my dandruff under control without irritating my sensitive scalp. It also cleans my fine straight hair well and leaves it manageable--sometimes I don't even use a conditioner afterward. Since I have a sensitive scalp, I love that it's dye free and fragrance free, even though it has kind of a mild burnt smell that isn't very pleasant. Overall, it's a great staple for me to have on hand and use regularly.

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (3%). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Polyquaternium 22, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate. continued >>

Popular Shampoos