3.5

package quality

price range

Reviews

6 years ago

I'm surprised to see the lower rating because I really enjoy this polish. It's a classy, sophisticated black pearl color that doesn't look gaudy like straight black. I put this on if I'm wearing some kind of dressier black outfit but don't want to look gothed out. The sheerness that other people have talked about doesn't bother me. 3 coats makes it look like the bottle, which is fine. I've always been a fan of the wide brush used for this line of polishes because I can get the entire nail in one swipe.

About reviewer (19 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

2.0

7 years ago

Before I start I will state that I did buy this polish at a discount chemist so it has the possibility of not being a legitimate Sally Hansen product(I paid $5AUD instead of the regular $14AUD), with that being said, I have read some other reviews and they have had the same problem...ITS SO SHEER! I need at least 4 coats for it to look anything similar like it does in the bottle and even then I don't like the outcome. I didn't buy this product because I was in love with the colour, I bought it because I needed a black that wasn't gloopy...this polish isn't gloopy ENOUGH! It is almost like water! The only pro to this polish is that the bottle is very large (14.7 mL) ...although I have no idea as to how i'm going to get rid of it all :(

About reviewer (10 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

from

7 years ago

This is my favorite nail polish. While I don't love this brand, and the texture of the formula isn't the best, when I take the time to apply it right, I LOVE the color. I also have friends who swear by this same polish. I think it's a great polish for those venturing into blacks. This was my first black polish and it seriously transformed my life. It made me feel so powerful to wear this. Also, for some reason, it seemed okay to wear to work. Maybe it's the slight shimmer. I don't know. But I freaking love this stuff. And when applied right (multiple coats and a top coat), it lasts a week.

About reviewer (21 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Fine

3.0

7 years ago

I've had this on for 4 days and there is not a chip in sight which is unusual form no matter what base I use. It is an absolutely beautiful black with very fine blue and green shimmer and I can honestly say that I don't have any other in my collection similar to this. Yes it is sheer and did require 3 coats and was not easy to work with but if you can get it on right, it is gorgeous!

About reviewer (164 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

2.0

7 years ago

Where to start... I really like the shimmery black, but this polish is just bizarre. It's strangely thin for such a dark polish so you'll need a few coats. It also dries as a sort of rubbery layer that can be peeled off. :s I'm kind of in the process of learning my lesson with Sally Hansen in general.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

EyesHazel

8 years ago

I agree with the others who say that this polish is bizarrely sheer...I mean, honestly -- a BLACK nail polish that requires 3 coats for full opacity? Otherwise, though, this is a beautiful polish. It's a delicately shimmering coal black. It applies like butter, and the flat, wide brush is a dream to work with. I just applied this, so I don't know how it wears, but honestly, wear depends mostly on body chemistry, so my experience probably wouldn't be helpful. However, I will update this review after I've worn the polish for a few days.

About reviewer (171 reviews)

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

9 years ago

You need to apply at least three coats but it is a very pretty color. Dupe for Chanel's Black Pearl.

About reviewer (45 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

1.0

9 years ago

No. Just no. I bought this nail polish because I thought the color was so beautiful. It kinda resembled a black Tahitian pearl in the bottle and thought this would be a close dupe for Channel's Black Pearl. This nail polish is just unbelievably sheer! So disappointing, had to get 3-4 coats to get full opacity. Im not going to compromise with its sheerness, if I am going to spend 9 bucks on a nail polish that needs a base, its not worth it. I really hope SH or any decent nail polish company can remake this color with better quality. Oh well, it will be returned to CVS.

About reviewer (130 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Tan, Warm

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

9 years ago

I thought I would splurge - larger brush took some getting used to - after two coats color did not match bottle. Next day the coats still felt "tacky" and the color rubbed off on EVERYTHING.

About reviewer (32 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

9 years ago

This nail polish is pretty good. Its a very dark gunmetal with subtle shimmer. Even though it isn't black like the name says, it applies very close to what you see in the bottle. It's a wide brush with a rounded edge which is a plus to me, but I don't like the stick part. I like to wipe the excess polish off the stick in the neck of the bottle. Its wide and flat and due to its shape its awkward. Without base and top coats it lasts at least 5 days and with base and top coats I've only had redo my nails because of tipwear after a whole week. It covers well with 2 coats, but usually touch up with another coat the next day. In general I like this formula just as much my OPIs, and it covers better than a lot of them. But OPI has better colors. Also this polish is pricey for a drugstore brand.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm