Thierry Mugler Womanity

Womanity

3.4

on 4/14/2017 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

YAaAASSS!!!! These reviews?FASCINATING. and the people who hate it seem to LOVE hating it, which is the hallmark of art.
The house of Mugler isn't known for generic, safe fragrance for basics, so that should have been your first tipoff right there, peeps.
I am a fragrance ho. I have all kinds. Expensive, like Bond No.9,Tom Ford,Maison Margiela, and cheap, like Fantasy,Mariah Carey,VS. I like most of the categories of perfume, with the exception of the huge aldehydes like No.5.
Angel, Alien and Womanity are all famous for requiring a certain chemistry to pull them off. Angel is infamous for its armpit note on the wrong person. Womanity is infamous for its 'dirty lady parts' note, supposedly. None should be blind bought unless you are wealthy enough not to care if it's incompatible with your skin.

Personally I love all three of the major Mugler pieces, because they all like me. I get no pit stank from Angel. She is beautiful for me. Alien? Garners compliments from strangers almost every wearing. She is beautiful for me. I get no hoo-ha stank from Womanity, though it IS intimate enough I only wear her mostly at home. She is beautiful too.

I think every person here who said caviar is fishy has never encountered actual caviar and just assuming fish product must smell fishy. Caviar smells nothing like that. It doesn't taste fishy either unless perhaps spoiled/old. It is possible the bottle you smelled was spoiled/old which CAN drastically stank up frags. Or you just have REALLY unfortunate body chemistry, in which case I'm sorry cause you miss out on nice things.
I chalk some of the comments to simple youthful ignorance...there's a legion of young ladies who just have never had anything but Daisy and Juicy and Bieber and hopefully with age will come to new vistas. I mean, I didn't like avocados or asparagus till like, twenty-six. My palate was childish for a long time. Now it's not.
Some of the others must be due to extremely unlucky chemistry. Yikes. Well, stick to what your skin will tolerate, but know that it's YOU plus the frag, not the frag in and of itself.

On me, I hate the first ten minutes of Womanity. It is straight metal, like chewing on a zipper or a coin, or licking a battery, if you ever did that. Angry and cold!
But after that it gets salty and almost meaty, but sweet at the same time. It's a savory gourmand, which is uncommon (in America anyway) and confuses us.
It's fine! You know, we are the only ones who think we have to smell like soap and fluffy towels and flowers all the time or else we are dirty.
You can be clean and not smell like soap! No one is secretly judging you! This fragrance recreates the scent of a clean person's skin who has been in the sea and the sun.
The REAL sea, NOT the aquatic notes we associate with oceanic perfumes and candles. Real, living salt water.
This is an extremely European/Asian scent to me. It is not the American or Canadian or British shoreline. It is a Greek grotto, a Middle Eastern shore where small pools of warm water and seaweed sing to a fig tree growing close by. It's an Agean shore somewhere, salt water and fresh seaweed kissing rocks...maybe the wet rocks are that metallic note. There is a beautiful woman...not a timid girl, a woman who has curves and doesn't know she's supposed to be ashamed of her body...walking around in the water swishing her fingertips in the waves while the water melts her gown onto her shape. The sun is warming the salt onto her skin and the sea is so happy to see a Venus again even if only for an hour.

So IF this fragrance suggests lady parts, it is clean, natural lady parts, which are not fish-stanky unless you have an infection, in which case get thee to a clinic. But I will allow that this does contain a suggestion of a clean woman, and again, only in America do we have SUCH a hangup about being what we were made. It is not dirty. It drives the man in my life NUTS like it's loaded with pheromones. Hey, bonus for both of us!
I don't wear it out and about often because I don't want to get my goddess on at the grocery store. But I do now and then. No one has ever sidled away from me or made a face when they thought I wasn't looking, and I did look hard because of the epic controversy of this fragrance.

The only drawback for me is price for longevity. It is not a sillage beast for me. It stays VERY close to me (fine) and in three hours, gone (not fine). So it's expensive for frequency of refilling it. Sad face. (LOVE that it is refillable though the bottle top is very HR Giger and therefore disturbing to me; I admire Giger's work but I don't know if that vibe is right for perfume...are women THAT scary to you, Thierry...?)
But I would totally buy again, and have.
I applaud the taking of chances. I like basic frags, the Marc Jacobs Daisies and the Pink Sugars, but there is a place for strange, thoughtful unicorns too. Come on! We always say we're tired of seeing the same movie over and over again because Hollywood won't take a risk. Why do you think they do it? Because everyone goes to see Avengers movies, so you get seventeen Avengers movies and the little guy with the great script and the great unknown cast goes home with nothing. Mugler is making scents that are not for everyone, the art pieces. It's not Coco Mademoiselle or Glow, no. I want all the options available. I want niche art too. Even art I can't enjoy, I want it to exist and want people who have the vision to do it to exist. Thank you to the house of Mugler for being willing to walk the un-basic path.

(that's why, though, you shouldn't be secretive when someone asks about it because you want a signature secret. You realize they have to sell a certain amount to justify it, right? Tell anybody who wants her who she is! Unless you plan on personally buying enough to keep Mugler in business we need people to buy so it doesn't go away. That's just basic economics.)
(this is a modification of my fragrantica review)

on 4/13/2017 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This scent is a power house. It has very heavy sillage and it lasts for several hours on clothes. The bottle is very lovely. I really like the hanging chain. I was really excited to try this scent because I love the smell of figs. Many perfumes that use figs use both the leaf and steam but I was in the market for a summer perfume that was based on the fresh, juicy fruit part of the fig. Upon first sniff I got a wave of sweetness with a hint of fig leaf as I continued to wear it the caviar note pushed through on my skin it smelt like salty perspiration on a hot summers day. I love the figs in the scent but I do not like the caviar note.

on 2/23/2017 4:03:00 PM

I can't quite pinpoint what it is about this scent that I like. I am NOT a fan of sweet or overly floral scents so if those are your favorites, you may not like this. I do enjoy a woodsy/musky warm toned perfume and THIS is it. I detect a note of cinnamon and it is this spicy quality that intrigues me most. I like it so much I don't really care if anyone else around me likes it or not! It is wonderful and I wear it just for me.

on 3/11/2016 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

On first opening the box i could immediately smell the unique fig aroma, never smelt anything like it. Loved it. Applied the scent and it was sweet yet so intriguingly beautiful and complex.. Still enjoying the different notes that keep turning up. Excellent scent!

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My dad bought this for me 2 years ago and i was so impressed with the bottle but i didnt like how it smells so i just kept it in my drawer. A month ago i just found out that this fragrance actually smells so good, like really good! I sprayed it on my wrist and when i decided to still hate the scent, it changed! Its very strong for the first 10 minutes until it settles down on your skin and it loses the strongness then becomes a unique beautiful scent that reminds you of beach, I SUPER LOVE IT! I feel bad for keeping this in my drawer for 2 years lol.

This perfume is gorgeous, I have been wearing it now for over 4 years and people are always remarking on the beautiful smell.
It's more musky & woody than really sweet or sickly, without being overpowering.
The bottle is very unusual and different, which I love, you can also refill the bottle which is great.
I would definitely recommend this perfume, despite the negative reviews. If you are looking for something that little bit different then go and buy it.

on 8/8/2015 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I never attempted to try this fragrance for I was polarized by all the awful reviews I'd heard saying it was fishy and nasty. A sweet swapper sent me a sample of this and I fell in love with it right away. It's not like anything else I've ever smelled and it's a fruity, salty, fresh scent. Perfect for summer and I don't think it's overwhelmingly strong either but does last most of the day. I got a "half-used" 1.7 oz bottle off fragrancenet's ebay store for $20. It was maybe sprayed once so I was happy with my score. They do have some left BTW. A lovely scent but I know that a lot of people dislike it, could be skin chemistry, so It's probably best to not buy unsniffed.

Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Not Sure

The reviewer Fruitdiet was totally correct with their comment, 'the time has come for Womanity.' Here is my opinion why it has:

The Thierry Mugler initial marketing campaign of Womanity did real damage with the release of the fragrance. What woman wants to smell like fish, be it caviar or otherwise? The only reason I write to comment on this is Womanity has turned out to be one of the better scents released since Mugler's Angel by any house. It is my strong opinion, that had Womanity been released first, it would have been worthy to be this houses' Signature.

The damage done has been that the negative olfactory portrait painted by that caviar note narrative has stuck in the minds of many a potential admirer and scared them off to something else. Now, I know the quiet strength that comes with a lady having a signature scent and I don't want to every other girl wearing mine, which if you haven't guessed by now is Womanity. I just continue hoping that that horrible ad didn't scare off enough ladies from buying it, so it stays in production.

I have only had the pleasure of meeting two other ladies who wear Womanity. When I did notice them, they noticed me as well. It was like being in a sorority where Womanity is the secret membership handshake.

The complements when I wear Womanity have rarely been those of a subtle nature; few are the times when I get a, '...you smell nice...' I watch how many I put on b/c Womanity does something to men and women. I have been followed by both sexes so they could tell me they like my perfume. '...Damn you smell good...' is frequent response. A man whispered in my ear about it. Womanity is for a confident lady, who keeps confident company b/c again yes, it attracts people, so maybe that caviar note is a type of pheromone.

I don't know enough about notes and that stuff but, I do know it long lasting and on me I believe it wears well. It's not loud, just distinctive and signature scent worthy. A Modern masterpiece and destined classic, beautiful.

on 5/20/2015 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I purchased a small bottle of Womanity as I really love salty, woody fragrances and my favorite L de Lolita has been discontiued. Not finding what I was looking for in Calvin Klein's Reveal someone pointed me the direction of Womanity. Having read the reviews, people either love it or hate it.

On first spritz, I found something very sharp and off putting. I couldn't out my finger on it. It smelled almost sour. It took 3-4 hours to fade away. I almost washed it off it was so so bad! After that initial shock, the fig, vetiver and cedar and really started to shine through. It smelled powdery and more gourmand which are my go-to's for fragrance.

I will definitly give this another go, but that initial shock might be a deal breaker. Glad I only purchased a .33 size as I do not see this being a long term love affair.

Top notes: citrus notes, green notes, fig chutney. Heart: fig, caviar, marine notes. Base: immortal, cedar, vetiver, opoponax

on 1/22/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Five years after its release, I feel Womanity's time has come. When it came out, everyone was either underwhelmed that it wasn't as weird as the brief made it sound or thought it was fishy and repellent. I love the bizarre, humorous marketing and bottle that no one knew what to make of; in the 80s Mugler's (and Claude Montana's) designs were considered misogynous and unwearable, classic cases of homosexuals using the fashion industry to bind and enslave women, therefore it's a scream that he rolled out this fragrance with a satirical marketing campaign that parodies modern body-positive feminist self-help rhetoric. Remember the kooky website where women were supposed to connect with women and talk about the unshakable threads of Womanity stretching across the world? On top of this, the juice is pink (symbol of frou frou conventional femininity), evokes vagina stank with a nice salty oily Secretions-lite accord, and is topped with a terrifying metallic Geiger mask that brings to mind the cover of Naomi Wolf's The Beauty Myth, held on with a chain. The fragrance itself is sporty and fresh and highly wearable while also being ashy and gray and somewhat staid. This is high art; this is satire; this is a true transgressive statement done in the capitalist mainstream.

Popular Fragrances