Thierry Mugler Womanity

3.4

on 3/11/2016 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

On first opening the box i could immediately smell the unique fig aroma, never smelt anything like it. Loved it. Applied the scent and it was sweet yet so intriguingly beautiful and complex.. Still enjoying the different notes that keep turning up. Excellent scent!

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My dad bought this for me 2 years ago and i was so impressed with the bottle but i didnt like how it smells so i just kept it in my drawer. A month ago i just found out that this fragrance actually smells so good, like really good! I sprayed it on my wrist and when i decided to still hate the scent, it changed! Its very strong for the first 10 minutes until it settles down on your skin and it loses the strongness then becomes a unique beautiful scent that reminds you of beach, I SUPER LOVE IT! I feel bad for keeping this in my drawer for 2 years lol.

To Read all 175 Reviews, Login or Join

This perfume is gorgeous, I have been wearing it now for over 4 years and people are always remarking on the beautiful smell.
It's more musky & woody than really sweet or sickly, without being overpowering.
The bottle is very unusual and different, which I love, you can also refill the bottle which is great.
I would definitely recommend this perfume, despite the negative reviews. If you are looking for something that little bit different then go and buy it.

on 8/8/2015 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I never attempted to try this fragrance for I was polarized by all the awful reviews I'd heard saying it was fishy and nasty. A sweet swapper sent me a sample of this and I fell in love with it right away. It's not like anything else I've ever smelled and it's a fruity, salty, fresh scent. Perfect for summer and I don't think it's overwhelmingly strong either but does last most of the day. I got a "half-used" 1.7 oz bottle off fragrancenet's ebay store for $20. It was maybe sprayed once so I was happy with my score. They do have some left BTW. A lovely scent but I know that a lot of people dislike it, could be skin chemistry, so It's probably best to not buy unsniffed.

Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Not Sure

The reviewer Fruitdiet was totally correct with their comment, 'the time has come for Womanity.' Here is my opinion why it has:

The Thierry Mugler initial marketing campaign of Womanity did real damage with the release of the fragrance. What woman wants to smell like fish, be it caviar or otherwise? The only reason I write to comment on this is Womanity has turned out to be one of the better scents released since Mugler's Angel by any house. It is my strong opinion, that had Womanity been released first, it would have been worthy to be this houses' Signature.

The damage done has been that the negative olfactory portrait painted by that caviar note narrative has stuck in the minds of many a potential admirer and scared them off to something else. Now, I know the quiet strength that comes with a lady having a signature scent and I don't want to every other girl wearing mine, which if you haven't guessed by now is Womanity. I just continue hoping that that horrible ad didn't scare off enough ladies from buying it, so it stays in production.

I have only had the pleasure of meeting two other ladies who wear Womanity. When I did notice them, they noticed me as well. It was like being in a sorority where Womanity is the secret membership handshake.

The complements when I wear Womanity have rarely been those of a subtle nature; few are the times when I get a, '...you smell nice...' I watch how many I put on b/c Womanity does something to men and women. I have been followed by both sexes so they could tell me they like my perfume. '...Damn you smell good...' is frequent response. A man whispered in my ear about it. Womanity is for a confident lady, who keeps confident company b/c again yes, it attracts people, so maybe that caviar note is a type of pheromone.

I don't know enough about notes and that stuff but, I do know it long lasting and on me I believe it wears well. It's not loud, just distinctive and signature scent worthy. A Modern masterpiece and destined classic, beautiful.

on 5/20/2015 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I purchased a small bottle of Womanity as I really love salty, woody fragrances and my favorite L de Lolita has been discontiued. Not finding what I was looking for in Calvin Klein's Reveal someone pointed me the direction of Womanity. Having read the reviews, people either love it or hate it.

On first spritz, I found something very sharp and off putting. I couldn't out my finger on it. It smelled almost sour. It took 3-4 hours to fade away. I almost washed it off it was so so bad! After that initial shock, the fig, vetiver and cedar and really started to shine through. It smelled powdery and more gourmand which are my go-to's for fragrance.

I will definitly give this another go, but that initial shock might be a deal breaker. Glad I only purchased a .33 size as I do not see this being a long term love affair.

Top notes: citrus notes, green notes, fig chutney. Heart: fig, caviar, marine notes. Base: immortal, cedar, vetiver, opoponax

on 1/22/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Five years after its release, I feel Womanity's time has come. When it came out, everyone was either underwhelmed that it wasn't as weird as the brief made it sound or thought it was fishy and repellent. I love the bizarre, humorous marketing and bottle that no one knew what to make of; in the 80s Mugler's (and Claude Montana's) designs were considered misogynous and unwearable, classic cases of homosexuals using the fashion industry to bind and enslave women, therefore it's a scream that he rolled out this fragrance with a satirical marketing campaign that parodies modern body-positive feminist self-help rhetoric. Remember the kooky website where women were supposed to connect with women and talk about the unshakable threads of Womanity stretching across the world? On top of this, the juice is pink (symbol of frou frou conventional femininity), evokes vagina stank with a nice salty oily Secretions-lite accord, and is topped with a terrifying metallic Geiger mask that brings to mind the cover of Naomi Wolf's The Beauty Myth, held on with a chain. The fragrance itself is sporty and fresh and highly wearable while also being ashy and gray and somewhat staid. This is high art; this is satire; this is a true transgressive statement done in the capitalist mainstream.

on 1/5/2015 4:37:00 PM

The bottle for Womanity is beautiful, when you run out of the perfume it would be a great ornament. The perfume its self is so unique its hard to describe but it certainly reminds me of the ocean. its very strong for the first 10-30 minutes until it settles down on your skin and it loses the strongness then becomes a beautiful feminine smell. i recommend spraying it 2-3 times at first and spraying it once again after about 5 minutes for it to last longer.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased the samples from ebay, the one with 15 samples and I feel so dumb for buying that one instead of the one with 4 samples because I hate it!! I thought I was going to like it since I love Angel and Alien, but I can't stand this smell, it gives me a headache :(

on 9/2/2014 6:58:00 AM

I purchased an ebay lot of 20 samples of this for a song as I wanted to try it after reading about the controversy. I am on my second sample bottle now and I must say this is growing on me. It was an immediate like, but I usually only have time for perfume "loves". Nevertheless this seemed to suit my mood and match the weather perfectly yesterday, a late summer day. This perfume evokes the bittersweet feeling of the end of the summer and the early part of fall, filled with both good-byes and new beginnings. It smells like the beach in September, nice to visit but too cold to swim. I don't find it anywhere near as powerful as Thierry Mugler's other concoctions, but I would hesitate to wear this to work as it seems to have so many haters. This is definitely worth a try for folks who aren't afraid to step out and be just a little different. The price is also not bad at all. I would probably not repurchase simply because I think it's unlikely I will ever run out of my samples. I am not likely to wear this more than very occasionally, but it is perfectly suited to September.

Popular Fragrances