EcoTools 6 Piece Eye Brush Set (5 brushes,1 case)

EcoTools 6 Piece Eye Brush Set (5 brushes,1 case)
Ecotools BAMBOO 6 Piece Eye Brush SetEcotools BAMBOO 6 Piece Eye Brush Set6 Piece Eye Brush Set (5 brushes,1 case)6 Piece Eye Brush Set (5 brushes,1 case)EcoTools eye brush set

4.4

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

EcoTools calls this six piece brush set an "eye makover on the go". Each of the five brushes is designed to have multiple functions. These brushes feature "soft, cruelty free taklon bristles, recycled aluminum ferrules, and sleek bamboo handles." EcoTools is a wildly popular brand among bloggers big and small. As most already know, EcoTools make very reasonably priced brushes and other cosmetic accessories that can be bought worldwide at just about any drugstore and major retailers. I bought this brush set at Rite Aid on a buy one get one free deal for $7.99, the MSRP, but I've seen it priced for as low as $6, a great deal. I believe EcoTools products are made in America, they are a cruelty free brand.
The five brushes come wrapped up in a small hemp and cotton brush roll that resembles an envelope when closed via velcro. A small mirror can be found inside. It's a decent quality mirror, but too small to do your makeup with, except maybe lipstick or gloss. Five elastic loops inside hold the brushes in place. The case isn't cute by any means, but it's functional and well made. I don't store my brushes in this brush roll, but I do use it for travel purposes.
The brushes in this set are travel size, about five inches long from bottom of the handle to tip of the bristles. Each lacquered bamboo handle features the EcoTools logo and brush name carved into them. The aluminum ferrules are firmly attached to the handle and hold the synthetic bristles in place well. Each brush is dense, silky soft, splay free, washes well, and doesn't shed. The quality is fantastic, especially considering the price.
The first brush in the set is the Blend brush, also known as the Large Eye brush. . Large Eye brush is, in my opinion, a more apt name for this brush for two reasons. First off, it's an entirely different shape than most blending brushes, instead of being fluffy and round, this brush is flat but full, coming to a slightly rounded tip, not really the shape I think of for blending. The other reason? This brush's head is legit the same size as my eyelid. How can I blend with something that takes up the entire surface of my eyelid? That being said, this brush does blend really nicely, but I prefer to use to to apply a light wash of color over the whole lid in one go. This is a lazy day kind of brush.
Next up is the highlgiht brush. Long bristles taper into a softly pointed tip. I have never once used this brush to highlight, mainly because it's the perfect crease brush for my eye shape. I would buy this whole set again just for this brush. It applies and blends shadow into the crease flawlessly. It's the ideal shape for hooded, deep set, almond, or Asian shaped eyes, anyone with a small crease. Thinking about it, I suppose this brush would be good for highlighting for those with larger, rounder eyes. The precise point would be good for applying just a touch of shadow under the brow or in the inner corner.
The third brush in this collection is the Smudge brush. I think this brush could be improved upon a little. What would I change? I'd make it just a little stiffer. Because EcoTools Smudge brush isn't quite the stiffness I'd prefer, I find that it doesn't smudge shadow or liner as well as I'd like, but it could get the job done in a pinch. I prefer to use this brush in the outer V and to define the crease, it's the perfect size, shape, and density.
The Shade brush, a.k.a. the Petite Eye Shading Brush, is a teeny tiny shading/paddle brush, definitely the littlest one that I have. This brush is perfect for it's assigned function, it packs on eyeshadow beautifully, can be used to blend a bit, and is thin enough to use along the lower lash line. This brush is ideal for detail work and precise, perfect application.
Last and probably lease is the Crease brush. A gently angled brush, it's only a little too big for my crease, but it should be fine for most eye shapes and sizes. I use this brush when I want an extreme, rounded crease but it's otherwise impractical for me, personally. It's not a bad brush, it's just not suited for my smaller eyes. It blends really nicely, and creates a nice shape. This is the brush I reach for least frequently.
I really like the EcoTools 6 Piece Eye Brush set. There isn't a bad brush in the bunch. However I don't feel like it's fully complete. This kit could use a little angled liner brush or perhaps a fluffy blending brush. Of course I feel like most kits need an angled liner brush though, they're my favs. Aside from that, EcoTools offers a good selection of eye brushes, definitely all you need if you're traveling. This brush set is excellent, potentially some of the best brushes on the drugstore level, but I think everyone says that. I would repurchase this brush set if I needed to, but they seem very good quality, so I likely won't have to at least for quite a while. Go get these brushes, it'll be eight bucks well spent!

on 12/26/2010 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I love these brushes. I love ecotools. It's just, love.
I was so happy when I saw that eco tools came out with an eye brush set, since I had bought many of their brushes before. Not only are the brushes environmentaly friendly and animal cruelty free- but they are so damn soft, dense, don't shed, and apply makeup like a dream!

I happen to like the short handles, they offer more stability and control of the eyeshadow. But longer handles would be nice.

For the price, these can't be beat. They are super soft, easy to use, and make applying eyeshadow a lot easier. If you need some really good, inexpensive brushes- eco tools is the way to go. I swear, I'm surprised these brushes don't cost more!

on 7/7/2013 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's great for what you pay for. Ten dollars for five great brushes!

The littlest brush is perfect for getting eye shadow in the inner corners to highlight the inner corners of the eye or for lining the bottom lashline with eye shadow.

The second smallest brush (the shading brush) is perfect for applying eyeshadow, esp cream eye shadows. I did the entire lid with an eye liner that lasted all day and looked super sexy with my Stila Tiger's Eye pencil (very smooth and creamy eye liner) and this brush. I smudged it out with this shading brush and also used it to line under my eye with this same brush! Super nice look. Can also do this and then pack on a little highlight on the first half of lid.

The middle brush looks like a stubby Mac 217, but the Mac 217 of course is a better brush. The Mac 217 has a sharper angle with the brush, so it's easier to get eye shadow on the first half of the lid. With this brush, it's not as sharp and a tad bigger, so some gets above the lid, which is what I don't want. Overall, harder to control than my 217 definitely, so I probably will not be getting a lot of use out of this brush. I do feel it can perform adequately and you can wipe the excess off the lid if you are in financial straits.

The fourth biggest brush is great (angled crease) for applying highlight to cheeks. Powdered highlighter. It says it's for the crease, but it seems a little too big for that. I'd rather use the middle brush for the crease, if any of these.

The last brush is the big eye brush, and it's the biggest of them all. Nobody's eye is this big, and this brush makes the most sense as a concealer brush. It will be really great esp if you want to try the Kim Kardashian conceal look with light concealer triangles under both eyes. Would work well for covering rosacea, maybe not as good concealing blemishes since it is so big.

on 11/15/2010 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

This is my second Ecotools purchase and I am loving this brand.

I got this for about $8.00 on amazon. Steal.

These measure about 4.5 inches; I know some people who ordered this were surprised by the small size. I love the short handles as they give me more control and I travel a lot so the size is ideal.

The breakdown:

1. Smudge brush- good concentration of bristles, helps you add shadow to your liner or smoke it out.

2. Shade brush- Least fav. I found this rather small to shade with so I use it to apply lid color. Better used dry vs. wet.

3. Highlight brush- I love this as a blending brush (you'll find out why in a second) and it worked well in the crease. Not the shape I'd want to apply highlight with.

4. Crease brush- Possibly my favorite. It's a good shape to get into the socket. Some might find this brush exceptionally large but it works well for me.

5. Blending brush- HUGE. I actually use this as a highlight because the shape fits under the brow arch well. I didn't like the effect I got while using it as a blending brush, kind of muddied the colors. Really soft though.

I'm really happy with this set. The quality is remarkable given the price. If you're a brush fiend, you probably don't need these. I recommend these to travelers and those who don't want to splurge to get a nice quality brush set. :)

on 6/30/2017 3:51:00 AM

Amazing , fantastic just great!
I was thinking about only one shading brush but I was suprised becasue I use them all!!
Soft , great quality, perfect size wonderfull set.
I think they are as good as Sigma and much much better than Mac!
since i have this set i dont use Mac 217 anymore! 217 brush big disappointment.
buy them you will love it!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I found these on MUA when I had to toss all of my brushes and eye make up because of an eye infection. I needed a replacement set and do not want to spend a lot of money it. After trying a terrible sephora selection fro twice the price I found these, thanks to MUA. They are very reasonably priced and a very good selection. The bristles are soft, handles sturdy. One lippy off of packaging because the "case" should not count as part of the set!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Okay, for all of you who say these brushes don't apply pigment well - with these brushes, you have to PAT the shadow on. Swiping doesn't work. It took me a couple days to figure this out. Once I did, I completely fell in love with these brushes. They're soft, they're not too pricey, they don't shed, they're eco friendly, and they work well. What's not to love? Just use the brush right and you'll be A-OK.

on 7/11/2014 7:31:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

The brushes hardly pickup any eyeshadow. I have to keep apply same spot again and again, still the result look more fade than I apply same eye shadow with my finger once.

Other pros: They are very cheap and also soft.
I think they might be great for beginners in make up because you can never apply to much. Moreover if you apply the wrong spot, you can barely see the mistake due to the fading effect.

If the brushes pick up more product,i would rate this 4 stars.

on 6/25/2014 9:26:00 AM

I bought these brushes as a cheap alternative to the sigma brush set I am lusting over, at only $10AUD they were a steal. Although the actual bristle quality is lovely, I am overall disappointed with this product.

First off, when they say travel size (and they do, in super small print on the case) they really mean it. These brushes are tiny. I thought it would be fine, however I was not prepared for just how small they are. I like to store my brushes in a pen cup for ease of access - and I can't even see them in it!

As for application I find myself only using three of the five brushes. The pencil brush is great for sculpting the brows, the flat brush for eyeshadow application, and the blender which is barely adequate.

Pros:
- Price, they are very affordable.
- Soft bristles.
- Eco friendly, made from synthetic hair and recycled products.

Cons:
- Teeny tiny little handles
- Three of the brushes have very little variation between them.
- Does seem to lose a lot of the product before it even hits your face.

Overall I would not recommend these brushes for someone looking for dabbling in more advanced makeup looks, or who reaches for a variety of brushes in their daily use.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

An amazing eye brush set for beginners. I got the one with just the brushes in a pouch because my Target didn't have the one with a case. <:1
Pros:
- SUPER SOFT! :)
- Never seem to shed.
- The bamboo is really nice and makes it an easy grip.
- The brushes are travel-size, which was perfect for my small lid space.
Cons:
None! :)
I found uses for ALL the brushes, in case you have trouble finding something to do about the two larger brushes.
Large eye brush - It's great for applying a nude powder base all over the lid. In some cases when I have less time to get ready and can't use my fingers, I use it to blend my concealer (I use very little concealer, so it's not time consuming). The large brush makes it good for blending harsh crease shadows softly above my crease.
Angled crease brush - WAAY too big for my crease. I use this to blend harsh crease lines as well, and the shape's also good if you want to just have the shadow in the crease area and not above.
Highlighting brush - Great for blending. It's not super fluffy, but it gets the job done. It also does what it's supposed to be used for well--highlighting. Gives precise application to my brow bone area.
Petite eye shading brush - For my small lid space, it's perfect for depositing eyeshadows. Also good for REALLY precise brow bone highlight.
Smudge brush - Awesome for lining my bottom lashline and of course, smudging. If you want a subtle eyeliner look, use this brush to softly line the upper lashline. You can also use this for inner corner highlighting. :)
The pouch is also helpful if you want to bring along some makeup for touching up at school or work. I highly recommend this to anyone who just needs a cheaper alternative to high-end brushes (but still nearly have the same quality). It's great for traveling, too. :D I will DEFINITELY be repurchasing this when they start to get old...which is probably a long time from now since every time I use them, the more they stay just as new! (Oh, also I recommend washing these every few days or weekly.)

Popular Makeup Brushes