American Apparel L'Esprit

American Apparel L'Esprit
L'Esprit

4.4

on 3/6/2012 3:18:00 PM

This is a great purple creme, however it is not very unique. I believe it is easily dupable. The quality is good, opaque in 2 coats. I like the shape of the bottle, but I hate the brush and the cap, its pretty uncomfortable to hold. Also, the polish has separated worse than ANY other polish I have. I keep all my polishes upright in a storage container, and this polish has dark spots from separation along the glass of the bottle that won't go away with shaking. It doesn't effect the color though, just makes the color look crappy in the bottle.

on 4/16/2011 10:42:00 PM

I decided to grab L'espirit instead of buying Essie's Lilacism cause I loved the swatches of it online. The color is just as nice in person. My only complaint about this and pretty much every other American apparel polish I've tried is they take too long to dry and are sometimes difficult to apply. At $15 for 3 you can't beat the price, though. I've been wearing this for a couple of days and there are no chips and I've gotten some compliments. :)

on 11/10/2010 4:05:00 PM

I wasn't too impressed when I initially saw swatches for American Apparel nail polishes. Being that they are all cremes - they seemed to be the formula that would likely be streak and goopy. Thanks but no thanks. But I kept reading rave after rave so yes, I caved. Well rather I received this as a gift, but I still "caved" as I had expressed desire in finally trying one of these bad boys out.
L'Espirt seems to be one of the most coveted shades, so it's quite apropos that it was my first. How to describe - it's a pastel lavender creme with more blue than purple tones. I gravitate towards vampy shades so I was sure I would hate it. Oh how wrong I was.
It's such a beautiful striking color against my tanned Asian skin tone. A fun hint of color, without going overboard - totally wearable and probably very appropriate for the Spring and Summer.
And yes it's true - L'Espirt is opaque in ONE COAT. How ridiculous is that? However it's probably best to apply a second coat as the formula itself is a bit runny and nail ridges were still apparent (I used a thin base coat). For the more seasoned nail polish fanatic, one coat would suffice so you can imagine this polish could possibly last FOREVER. So as it pertains to value, $6 for a bottle of this? Magnificent!
My L-Espirit manicure lasted four or so days before chipping, but upon the toes - two weeks and then some. I had to finally remove the pedicure because I was anxious to try new colors and waiting for it to chip would've probably required three weeks or more.
I am quite fond of the rectangular bottle - it's quite noticeable amongst my other nail polishes, although I hear they aren/t very sturdy as many people have reported them breaking during transit.

on 1/2/2011 3:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

When I first heard of this line, I didn't think it would be anything special since it is made by a clothing company and my experience in the past with cosmetics by clothing companies has been poor. However, the rave reviews on here and nail blogs made me pick up a bottle of L'Esprit and two others when I was in Washington DC a few days ago. I have been wearing L'Esprit on my toes since I got it and it is wearing beautifully. The quality of these polishes is really nice! I also like the color. It is a periwinkle lilac color. More cool-toned and blueish than straight up pastel purple. Its very unique, and as a lavender polish lover, I'm in heaven! This is a great polish and I recommend it to everyone!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I don't typically like lighter colors -- I'm usually in bolder browns, dark reds, greens and so on, so I was skeptical about this color.. but it's amazing. The formula is quick drying, opaque in one coat & very glossy. It's a beautiful color, and I'm frankly in love. If all the other colors are as great as this one, I'm going to be an addict.

on 8/19/2010 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The color is very nice. It's a very light pastel blue/purple. I don't really see this color anywhere else. The packaging is glass and seems to scratch pretty easily so be careful of that! It goes on very smooth on your nails, even after coat. But after two coats, I find it very hard to chip even after a week, so thats great! Same goes for the other colors that they have. This brand has the typical nail polish smell, but the scent seems to be stronger than most. I think the pricing for this was good! It was $6.00 for one, and $18.00 for three nail polishes. I definately will buy this product again!

on 6/14/2010 3:24:00 PM

Found out about these through Temptalia.com. L'Esprit is a gorgeous light-medium pastel lavender. It's hard to find this shade although Essie seems to have a similar color out this Spring/Summer.

The nail polish is sort of smelly, but goes on smoothly and dries quickly. Usually takes about 2 or more coats to get the right look. Great price (deal for 3) and cute packaging. The colors are spot on for the season.

Popular Polishes