Bobbi Brown Sepia Ink Long Wear Gel Liner

Sepia Ink Long Wear Gel Liner

4.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Sepia Ink is one of my "Hall of Fame" makeup products in that it performs flawlessly for me, time after time. This shade is a tiny bit lighter than Espresso Ink: Sepia is a deep brown with no red undertones while Espresso is a deep BLACK-brown with no red undertones. Since I'm fair, I find Sepia easier to wear in bright daylight than Espresso as Sepia accents my upper lash line without being overpowering or harsh. You notice my eyes, not my liner.
Texture-wise, Sepia is firm but applies smoothly without gooping up the sides of my brush. This makes drawing a line so much easier, not to mention straighter! It wears all day for my normal lids and removes easily with eye makeup remover (I use Clinique Take the Day Off Balm).
If you're interested in a coordinating Bobbi Brown eye shadow to blend and soften the liner, try Mahogany. It's a beautiful, highly-pigmented deep matte brown and softer than Espresso as it doesn't have Espresso's black base. Most every day I wear Sepia Ink on my upper lash line and Mahogany blended overtop, with Mahogany brushed dry along my lower lash line. It's the perfect combination and they pair well with most colors as Sepia/Mahogany are perfectly neutral.
I'm not a fan of Bobbi Brown's liner brushes as I prefer an angled brush. My favorite - high end and low - is the Master's Touch #2 Synthetic Angle Shader Brush (found at Hobby Lobby for $3.99). It's firm but flexes enough to evenly apply the gel liner without splaying. I can draw really sharp lines with this brush. continued >>

on 4/12/2012 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Got bored of the black one so I got this one. Texture is very different to the "black ink" gel liner, this is more stiff and less "runny" compared to the black one. Which I like, because then the brush doesn't pick up too much product.
Easy to apply, I use it on my waterline and my eyes are ok. It does have a tendency to smudge and slowly just disappear though, but the colour is great and I wear it daily.
Lasts forever, it'll probably dry out before I finish the whole pot.

on 3/17/2012 1:05:00 AM

I got mine as a set (black and brown) as a gift. I was so disappointed with the brown - it's not pigmented, doesn't have much staying power, and most importantly, fails completely on my waterline (what I got it for in the first place). I know BB gel liners are formulated to work on the waterline but for some reason, once my gel liner dries and sets, it starts flaking like mad and hurting my poor eyes. This happened when I first opened it, a few weeks and even months later so I'm pretty sure it's not a dried out/product aging issue. Maybe I got a dud set, maybe the formula just isn't for me - either way, this definitely did not live up to it's HG hyped status. The only pros are that it's very smooth and the packaging is nice. I've moved on the liquid liner which is much quicker and pigmented. Less messy too since I don't need to clean the brush after every single use. Definitely won't repurchase again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Love the color and consistency - something between cream and gel! Not too dark, very neutral liner which is just right for very pale me for everyday makeup. But it stays put just for 5 hours or so(( By the end of working day it's almost gone even if used on lid primer (mine was Artdeco). I won't repurchase.

on 11/3/2011 8:45:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

expected a lot more from this. the hype was that it had good staying powder and pigmentation. but my maybelline gel liner beats bobbi brown's by far. i did a test where i swatched all the gel liners i own on my hand and went to sleep with it. bobbi brown had the worst pigmentation and staying powder. which sucks because people rave about it so much. and i thought the formula was pretty dry too.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this is not a bad product, I just couldn't seem to get it to work for me. I bought it mainly to try on my waterline, and it did last pretty long, longer than most pencils. However, when it did smudge, it flaked off onto my contacts in pretty big chunks, and really irritated my eyes. so I will probably not be using it again, since I don't really like the look of gels on my lashline. I do think it's a great color, and seems to not dry out, so if you like gel liners in general and don't wear contacts, this might work for you.

on 11/21/2010 8:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I bought this a few months ago and it was so amazing that the next day I went back and bought it in 3 more colors. Lasts all day, stays in place, no racoon eyes, beautiful color. The best eyeliner I have tried and I have tried too many. The only problem was that it dried out too fast. Despite using the product several times per week I ended up with more than half jar of unusable pricey product. Until I read someone who posted that the solution was to add eye make up remover, mix and...like new again. I take one rating number due to this. It is also happening with the blue one I bought. The violet one and the green one have a different consistency, so far they have not dried out.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is by far the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes. I used MAC fluidline before, but this is a much better product. It stays all day until I want it off. Also this product doesn't ruin brushes like other products.

on 2/27/2008 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

You haven't used eyeliner if you haven't tried Bobbi's gel eyeliner. This is a dark dark brown (almost black) gel eyeliner without any shimmer. Lasts long and when it wears off it fades subtly instead of leaving your eyes looking like they've been punched. Very good. If only it is more convenient to carry around.

on 1/8/2008 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

broke down and bought this at holts recently. i already have this gel liner in violent ink (and love it btw) but couldn't resist this perfect neutral brown when the S.A tested the color on my hand. this beautiful, smothering color is subtle enough for everyday wear and easily worn nights out. i have since stopped using pencil liners. bobbi brown liners are so so smooth and the formula lasts day til night. will repurchase this little pot if i ever run out.