Bobbi Brown Sepia Ink Long Wear Gel Liner

Sepia Ink Long Wear Gel Liner

4.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Sepia Ink is one of my "Hall of Fame" makeup products in that it performs flawlessly for me, time after time. This shade is a tiny bit lighter than Espresso Ink: Sepia is a deep brown with no red undertones while Espresso is a deep BLACK-brown with no red undertones. Since I'm fair, I find Sepia easier to wear in bright daylight than Espresso as Sepia accents my upper lash line without being overpowering or harsh. You notice my eyes, not my liner.
Texture-wise, Sepia is firm but applies smoothly without gooping up the sides of my brush. This makes drawing a line so much easier, not to mention straighter! It wears all day for my normal lids and removes easily with eye makeup remover (I use Clinique Take the Day Off Balm).
If you're interested in a coordinating Bobbi Brown eye shadow to blend and soften the liner, try Mahogany. It's a beautiful, highly-pigmented deep matte brown and softer than Espresso as it doesn't have Espresso's black base. Most every day I wear Sepia Ink on my upper lash line and Mahogany blended overtop, with Mahogany brushed dry along my lower lash line. It's the perfect combination and they pair well with most colors as Sepia/Mahogany are perfectly neutral.
I'm not a fan of Bobbi Brown's liner brushes as I prefer an angled brush. My favorite - high end and low - is the Master's Touch #2 Synthetic Angle Shader Brush (found at Hobby Lobby for $3.99). It's firm but flexes enough to evenly apply the gel liner without splaying. I can draw really sharp lines with this brush. continued >>

on 2/5/2013 7:24:00 PM

Have been using this for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it. The colour is perfect for everyday wear. Easy to apply too and dries very quickly and it doesn't budge after that! I use the Ecotools eye liner brush with this as I find the Bobbi Brown mini eye liner brush (comes with the set - Black Ink, Sepia Ink and the brush - at Heathrow airport for GBP29) a little too small for easy application. A little goes a long way and I don't see myself finishing this product anytime soon! I do worry that it will dry out before I finish it though.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This gel liner has a dry consistency that I hate. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This was the first gel eyeliner I've tried. As such, I can't really compare it to other gel-liner brands. I thought and was expecting it would be creamier, and glide onto the eye like some reviews had suggested. The first time you "dig into it", it does go on creamy. But in my experience, if you try to take some product out of the place you've previously taken it, the application will not be as smooth and creamy. I've overcome this by scooping up more product and really pressing my eye-liner pencil deeper into the jar.

Pros: it is long-lasting.
Con: by the end of the day, the intensity of the look (ie if you had gone for a darker look achieved by not smudging the liner) had worn off and was not as intense.

Verdict: I prefer liquid liners. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I first bought this when BB were the only gel liners on the market, or at least the most popular ones. Back then I haven't heard of others, it was around 9-10 years ago. Point is, since then many brands came out with gel liners, I tried some (remember MAC in particular, smudged and faded really fast on me), and haven't found anything I liked as much this. Quality is great, easy to apply, really is long lasting, doesn't smudge or fade throughout the day, and Sepia is the perfect color for me, I don't like black liners, too harsh for my light coloring, and don't like many brown shades because they are too warm and make whites of my eyes look yellowish. Sepia is dark enough to be a good substitute for black, and doesn't look brown or warm. Versatile, goes with all the shades of eye shadow that black would. Great basic color. For tightlining with it I use Laura Mercier Push Brush, and for lining on top of the lid MAC #209 or Paula Dorf angled.

Pot lasts forever (very pigmented, little needed) and doesn't dry out (not in my experience anyway; I never leave the lid off, close it very tightly, and keep this, along with all my other cream make up products in the fridge). I repurchased it only once so far (but to be fair I haven't used this every single day, more like 3-4 days a week, and some weeks not at all).

on 4/30/2012 3:51:00 PM

This brown is great for hazel eyes. Smooth application and long-wearing. I wear it with Bobbi Brown bone, champagne, and rose gold shadows.

on 3/17/2012 1:05:00 AM

I got mine as a set (black and brown) as a gift. I was so disappointed with the brown - it's not pigmented, doesn't have much staying power, and most importantly, fails completely on my waterline (what I got it for in the first place). I know BB gel liners are formulated to work on the waterline but for some reason, once my gel liner dries and sets, it starts flaking like mad and hurting my poor eyes. This happened when I first opened it, a few weeks and even months later so I'm pretty sure it's not a dried out/product aging issue. Maybe I got a dud set, maybe the formula just isn't for me - either way, this definitely did not live up to it's HG hyped status. The only pros are that it's very smooth and the packaging is nice. I've moved on the liquid liner which is much quicker and pigmented. Less messy too since I don't need to clean the brush after every single use. Definitely won't repurchase again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Love the color and consistency - something between cream and gel! Not too dark, very neutral liner which is just right for very pale me for everyday makeup. But it stays put just for 5 hours or so(( By the end of working day it's almost gone even if used on lid primer (mine was Artdeco). I won't repurchase.

I usually wear very dark liners, black, and caviar, deep brown at the least, but wanted to try sepia ink for a change. I love it. I have dark brown eyes, and it just gives them a soft doe-eyed appearance. It's a great daytime soft anywear shade, that still has enough color to define my eyes. It brings out the softer golden hues in my eyes, and I didn't know I really even had any soft golden hues:) Great basic eyeliner.

on 5/17/2010 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is one of the very few items that I have used consistently over the past 5 years. I like how the ink liners apply. To me, they are much better then pencil liners or eye shadows as liner. This gel ink liner is so easy to use, it applies well, it can be blended. Its perfect. Sepia is a basic brown. Everyone needs a basic brown color. No shimmer in this, its plain matte brown. I like brown liners personally, they are not as harsh as black can be. Highly recommended!