Bobbi Brown Sepia Ink Long Wear Gel Liner

Sepia Ink Long Wear Gel Liner

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Sepia Ink is one of my "Hall of Fame" makeup products in that it performs flawlessly for me, time after time. This shade is a tiny bit lighter than Espresso Ink: Sepia is a deep brown with no red undertones while Espresso is a deep BLACK-brown with no red undertones. Since I'm fair, I find Sepia easier to wear in bright daylight than Espresso as Sepia accents my upper lash line without being overpowering or harsh. You notice my eyes, not my liner.
Texture-wise, Sepia is firm but applies smoothly without gooping up the sides of my brush. This makes drawing a line so much easier, not to mention straighter! It wears all day for my normal lids and removes easily with eye makeup remover (I use Clinique Take the Day Off Balm).
If you're interested in a coordinating Bobbi Brown eye shadow to blend and soften the liner, try Mahogany. It's a beautiful, highly-pigmented deep matte brown and softer than Espresso as it doesn't have Espresso's black base. Most every day I wear Sepia Ink on my upper lash line and Mahogany blended overtop, with Mahogany brushed dry along my lower lash line. It's the perfect combination and they pair well with most colors as Sepia/Mahogany are perfectly neutral.
I'm not a fan of Bobbi Brown's liner brushes as I prefer an angled brush. My favorite - high end and low - is the Master's Touch #2 Synthetic Angle Shader Brush (found at Hobby Lobby for $3.99). It's firm but flexes enough to evenly apply the gel liner without splaying. I can draw really sharp lines with this brush. continued >>

on 3/25/2014 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Another HG product! It's a great product from bobbi brown, i am not dissapointed at all. It can handle my super-oily lid for almost 5 hours, and that's a new record! So when I'm trying to add Urban Decay's primer potion as my primer, this product is not coming out at all. And I know it's a bit hard to be smudged, but with a little help with my dearly Sigma E20, i am impressed :)

on 2/5/2013 7:24:00 PM

Have been using this for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it. The colour is perfect for everyday wear. Easy to apply too and dries very quickly and it doesn't budge after that! I use the Ecotools eye liner brush with this as I find the Bobbi Brown mini eye liner brush (comes with the set - Black Ink, Sepia Ink and the brush - at Heathrow airport for GBP29) a little too small for easy application. A little goes a long way and I don't see myself finishing this product anytime soon! I do worry that it will dry out before I finish it though.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I first bought this when BB were the only gel liners on the market, or at least the most popular ones. Back then I haven't heard of others, it was around 9-10 years ago. Point is, since then many brands came out with gel liners, I tried some (remember MAC in particular, smudged and faded really fast on me), and haven't found anything I liked as much this. Quality is great, easy to apply, really is long lasting, doesn't smudge or fade throughout the day, and Sepia is the perfect color for me, I don't like black liners, too harsh for my light coloring, and don't like many brown shades because they are too warm and make whites of my eyes look yellowish. Sepia is dark enough to be a good substitute for black, and doesn't look brown or warm. Versatile, goes with all the shades of eye shadow that black would. Great basic color. For tightlining with it I use Laura Mercier Push Brush, and for lining on top of the lid MAC #209 or Paula Dorf angled.

Pot lasts forever (very pigmented, little needed) and doesn't dry out (not in my experience anyway; I never leave the lid off, close it very tightly, and keep this, along with all my other cream make up products in the fridge). I repurchased it only once so far (but to be fair I haven't used this every single day, more like 3-4 days a week, and some weeks not at all).

on 4/30/2012 3:51:00 PM

This brown is great for hazel eyes. Smooth application and long-wearing. I wear it with Bobbi Brown bone, champagne, and rose gold shadows.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is by far the best eyeliner I have ever used. I'm a swimmer and it lasts through an entire day of work/school and then through swim practice afterward. You would think that since it lasts so long it would be tough to remove, but it's not! Comes off easily with Almay eyemakeup remover. This stuff is genius.

It seems expensive, but one tiny jar will honestly last a year (even for someone like me, who is quite heavy-handed with eyeliner). Worth the money.

I usually wear very dark liners, black, and caviar, deep brown at the least, but wanted to try sepia ink for a change. I love it. I have dark brown eyes, and it just gives them a soft doe-eyed appearance. It's a great daytime soft anywear shade, that still has enough color to define my eyes. It brings out the softer golden hues in my eyes, and I didn't know I really even had any soft golden hues:) Great basic eyeliner.

on 1/28/2011 10:04:00 PM

This is an amazing liner in most cases, but it's staying power is about 4 hours before it starts to fade. (Take into consideration that I do have really oily lids). This is perfect for a natural every day look. You can make this as dramatic as you'd like, which is what I love about this product. Thick or thin. I would buy this again.

on 12/30/2010 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Love This Color! And I have several gel liners from both Bobbi and Shu. I prefer Shu liners in general, but Bobbi is a lose second and Shu has a limited color range. This is my favorite everyday brown (and I have two). I have been told more than once by people who don't know much about makeup that this shade makes my eyes 'POP' more than usual even when applied the same way as other colors, including other browns. That makes this a keeper!

Perfect brown eyeliner, not muddy, just super flattering. It makes my hazel eyes pop, without being as harsh as a black eyeliner. Black eyeliners tend to make my eyes look smaller. lasts all day long. I often go swimming, it did pass the test successfully.
my HG eyeliner. period.