Maybelline Shine Free Oil Control Loose Powder

Maybelline Shine Free Oil Control Loose Powder

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is, along with NYC's translucent loose powder, my go-to. I buy this in translucent but accidentally picked it up in the "light" color last time and can't really tell too much of a difference. It matches my skin well and gets the job done.
I have a very specific purpose for these loose powders, I use them just once in my routine to set and blend my cream contour and make everything look seamless. Loose powder just looks more natural than pressed for this "step" in my routine. One of my foundations can dry dewy and this prevents shine as well. I prefer translucent but the light color also works just as well.
Loose powders stay at home, and I have pressed powders I use throughout the day to touch up shine. This powder does not get cakey, streak, oxidize or fade too quickly on my skin. It comes in the traditional loose powder packaging and it's easy to get to the final bits of powder when you're using it up. It's a step in my routine that is essential but I don't usually think too much about, which tells me this is working just fine.
The price is reasonable and I get plenty of use out of each container. If you're looking for a good no fuss natural looking powder to use for setting your foundation and concealer, this works very well.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I purchased this powder at CVS for around $6 and it's lasted me quite a while! There is a lot of product in the powder, so it's definitely worth it's money. It can get a bit messy, but what loose powder doesn't? This was really good at controlling my combination skin and I could go about 8 hours without blotting my face and I still wouldn't look like an oil slicked mess! The only reason why I didn't give it a 5 out of 5 lippies was because the color selection is very, very small (it only has three shade selections I believe!) and I've noticed that my powder will oxidize and look a bit orangey on my skin. It's not extremely orangey, but it's definitely noticeable to me, especially in the natural sun. It's nothing too unbearable and it might be just one of those things that only you notice, and no one else really cares about. Besides that, I really do like this powder! Overall, it's really affordable and it comes with a lot of product. And it's really good at controlling oil without making my skin break out or get too cakey. However, the color selection is quite poor and some of the shades can be a bit on the orange side, which will be more obvious if you get a shade that's too dark for your skin tone!
It's not too fun to travel with either because it'll get all over the place and the lid will sometimes just slide off because there's not much grip to it. I'd recommend that you tape the lid to the base of it to ensure that your makeup bag won't be filled with loose powder!

To Read all 29 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Best loose powder all-round, for price, availabity, easy solid straightforward box/case and NO parabens!, yea! Made in USA! May need re-touch if on bare skin or light makeup. The pressed is good. Apply w/ a brush or cotton puff. Well-balanced enough to wear alone.

on 7/28/2015 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Works great and is pretty translucent. A good go to loose powder from the drugstore. It has replaced my Covergirl loose powder.

on 6/7/2015 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have very oily/acne prone skin with occasional dry spots. I bought this to use as a setting/oil control powder over my liquid foundation, so that is how I am reviewing this.

PROS:
-Affordable
-Did not break me out or clog my pores
-Very light, not heavy, finish
-Does not cake very easily
-Did not cling to dry spots

CONS:
-Didn't help control my oil for more than an hour
-Did not help my makeup stay in place at all

OVERALL: This was not a bad powder, but I would not repurchase this since it did not work the way I hoped it would. If you have dry-normal skin this would probably work well for you. But if your face is a grease monster like mine is, this is not the best powder for you.

on 3/26/2015 2:46:00 PM

I have this in the pressed powder .It keeps oily skin matte with just a bit of blotting in the afternoon. This powder has made my skin look even, matte, and free of breakouts!

on 6/2/2014 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using this product for quite a while, since I was 16 and have enjoyed it ever since the first time purchasing.

It does go unnoticed because it is usually hidden at the bottom shelf in drugstores and can be found at most supermarkets. It only has 2 shades so I'm not able to use it if I've been tanning as the medium shade is too orange and dark and the light shade is too light. It doesn't go on cakey, however, it doesn't last very long, usually 2 hours for me maximum, especially in summertime.

I don't recommend it if you have really oily skin, it doesn't absorb oil as much as some better higher end brands, it's only $5.00 so it's cheap, but it's cheap for a reason.

The packaging is dreadful, don't throw it in your purse or you'll most likely have a powder mess (which is never fun)

Bottom line, it's worth a try but it isn't the best for everyone.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This needs to be more finely milled & less orange. It will oxidize on my oily skin & become greasy after a couple of hours. It's alright but not something I don't know if I'd want to rebuy because light is too light & medium is too dark & orange. The puff it comes with is nice. The packaging is bulky. If you are going to get loose powder for oily type skin get the Coty Airspun loose powder instead.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a pretty good loose powder. It does take the shine away but I wish it would take it away longer. Overall I would buy again. Really good amount that it comes with & colour range is good.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

A HG powder for me. Sets perfectly on my skin. You get plenty of product in the container, which is great too.