St.Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse

St.Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse

4.1

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Pentylene Glycol, Glycerin, Decyl Glucoside, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Extract, Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Bisulfite, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Caramel, Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Red 40 (CI 16035), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090) 6/15/2012

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

So..the famous St. Tropez bronzing mousse!! I am currently writing this review as I wait for my tan to develop. Let me start off this review by saying that I am *not* a seasoned tanner and has always shied away from the idea of doing it from fear of looking too orange or fake, but I do believe that when you decide to try any new procedure that you should do it the right way, hence buying the St. Tropez mousse. This stuff has been Youtube famous for years and even though the "Loving Tan" has been making it's splash right now, I decided to stick with an old reliable. I picked up the 125mL bottle of this mousse which was $42 and also bought the mitt which added another $9 on to the price. Now I'm not sure how long my first bottle will last me so it's hard to say whether the price of the actual tan is completely outrageous or not however, I thought the price of the mitt was absurd. $9 for a mitt that was likely whipped up with cheap materials in China for under 25 cents. If it was a sturdy piece of material then the price wouldn't hit me quite so hard but the mitt is absolutely terrible quality. It does however do it's job quite well but I'm not confident that it will last me very long.

To prep my skin adequately for this tan, I, as per the directions, shaved and exfoliated my skin with a homemade coffee scrub a day before applying the tan. I also used body butters on my skin to keep it nice and plump prior to application. I know that people did discourage the use of heavy moisturizing products when applying the tan but I'm a rebel and it worked out for me just fine. Directly prior to applying the tan, I applied body butter generously to the areas of my body prone to dryness and pealing (ankles, knees, elbows, in between breasts, and knuckles) and then I applied the tan. For application, I squirted the mousse which is very thing, directly on to the mitt and swirled it around my skin. In all, I used about 5 pumps for each leg and feet, 2-3 pumps for each arm, 2 pumps for chest and stomach and about 4 pumps for my back and butt. After applying the tan to the areas listed, I took off the mitt, washed it, applied a generous amount of body butter to the backs of my hands and then rubbed a bit of the mousse between the backs of my hands, making sure to get in between each of my fingers. And voila, the tan was applied. Be warned that the tan does look really dark green when you squirt it out of the bottle but it *does not* look green when it develops at all. The tan took about 5 minutes to dry where I could put on clothes and then about 30 minutes to dry completely. I let the tan develop overnight and when I woke in the morning, I hopped in the shower and washed off the tan using a gentle cleanser and my hands. No loofah or exfoliating device that might compromise my tan.

I am super duper pale and this tan did deepen my skin tone significantly and give it a nice glow. It is very subtle in the sense that it looks like you just came back from the Bahamas and not like you were applying tanning mousse in your bathroom but it definitely makes an impact. I was very pleased with the results but what pleased me most about this tan was how it faded. Now, you do have to help this tan fade in the sense that if you're a good fake tanner then you should be moisturizing daily and protecting your skin from the sun but doing that, your tan will just gradually fake. I do struggle with peeling skin so I was a bit nervous about how this tan would come off but it just kind of slowly disappeared over the course of the week. No weird, tell-tale flaking or peeling. For me, the really deep tan left after about 2-3 days and it just faded gradually from there. All in all, I had a noticeable tan for 6 days.

I've done an in depth- description of my tanning process and described how much I like it so now time for the cons...other than the mitt, my main "con" of this product is the instructions on the side of the bottle. For a first time tanner, it makes it seem like you can just exfoliate the day before, apply the tan and you'll be a bronze goddess but it really doesn't describe how to get the most out of the product. I think this is important because had I just exfoliated and not moisturized day after day, I could have had dramatically different results with this product. I think they should have put a lot more detail on a smooth application and good tan upkeep. Secondly, it is a very expensive product. I didn't want to buy a larger bottle but if you do try this and like it, I think it would be worth it to invest in the 250mL bottle which is only $11 more expensive for twice the product. Overall, I think this St. Tropez bronzing mousse is an incredibly product for people from all walks of fake tanning experience which will ultimately give you that gorgeous bronzed glow that we're all looking for, without the skin damage!

This stuff is great. I'm relatively fair, lots of sun damage freckles. I was using the Jergens gradual tan, which I swear used to work fine but now turns my skin yellow. This gives a lovely natural looking tan -- more brown than yellow. My only problem is when I don't apply it well and it leaves marks, but that is the nature of self-tanner when you're a slob like me.

To Read all 116 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/28/2016 9:55:00 PM

I'm on my second bottle, and I just started using it this summer. I am in love and I have converted a few people onto using this. I am a convert, because it's just a sugar solution that causes a chemical reaction and tints your skin - completely harmless! Some notes for people considering trying this...

- I have yellow under-toned skin and sometimes this can look slightly orange/bronze under certain lighting, but that's just my natural undertone affecting it. It's still a beautiful, natural colour.
- If you suffer from dry skin, you must moisturize liberally and let it sink in, then moisturize again and glaze lightly over the rough area with the mitt, otherwise the colour settles into cracks of dry skin.
- Only use the mitt for application. It really buffs it into the skin and blurs any lines.
- Be very careful applying it to your feet. Moisturize a lot, get in between your toes lightly, and if you wear sneakers or sweat, there will be tan lines where the colour rubbed away.
- Don't forget to tan your hands, especially if you wash your hands a lot. And don't neglect in between the fingers! Pale hands on dark arms looks a little suspicious.
- This only lasts 3-4 days or so on me until it's no longer noticeable. This is because I exfoliate every time I shower.
- If you accidentally create lines or smudges, it's easy to buff away in the shower once it's "set" with a loofa, then reapply with the mitt.
- If you sweat, your bra line will leave little pale curves under your breasts, and might create tan lines along your shoulders where the strap sits.
- Perfectly fine to use on your face, but your hair line might look iffy (pale scalp, beautifully tanned face), don't forget your ears and behind your ears, your neck, and if you exfoliate, this will only last for one day.

Basically, don't have unrealistic expectations, but at the same time absolutely give this a try if you are pale and want a healthy summer glow without all the skin cancer or skin damage. I truly love this stuff and it is much easier to apply than I probably make it out to be. Amazing stuff. And the smell officially reminds me of summer.

on 4/19/2016 10:25:00 AM

Love the color this gives me and its so easy to apply. Dries almost immediately and once dried, no transfer of color, even on white clothing. Scent is pleasant, soft, and disappears quickly. I have light to medium skin. This turns my skin a deep golden brown with no orange, brick, or red color. Just a realistic looking tan that lasts about 3-4 days depending on my activities. You absolutely MUST use the application mitt. It makes for very even, quick, effortless application, and keeps your hands from turning color. I tried using just rubber gloves...the disposable kind, it wasn't nearly as effective as the mitt. The only self tanner I'll use.

on 1/7/2016 1:01:00 PM

I'm pretty sure this is my tanner for life. It's the only tanner I've seen than gives a beautful brown tan as opposed to orange. I am very very pale and the tan looks fine on me. The only problems I have is when I don't exfoliate before hand it can look patchy but that's my own fault! I would recommend moisturizing often as it really helps this tan fade better.

it looks very natural not too messy easy to apply but the 1 thing I don't care for is the smell it reminds me of bug spray but to have a nice healthy tan without risking melenoma and gaining a ton of freckles it's well worth it.

on 9/26/2015 11:08:00 PM

Love this product for my medium skin tone but make sure to buy and use the mitt.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Am I the only one who doesn't like this? On me, it doesn't matter how much I exfoliate, or how many different ways I've tried to use it, I ALWAYS end up looking patchy. Which is a bummer because this isn't cheap... So disappointed. Also, the smell is HORRID. you NEED to shower before leaving your house, because the smell is potent. Never buying again.

on 7/10/2015 11:34:00 AM

As a beauty blogger i try a lot, this one is worth mentioning. I am naturally tan so this just enhnces the color and it looks so amazing, like i just got back from the beach. Not sure how it would look on super pale skin though. No strikes, super easy to use, dries easily, colour is super natural!!! I love natural looking tans...for those who are complaining its too light, i am like- do you really like to look cheap and overcooked?:) amazing product. Its enough with small size 50ml to last long time. Smells amazing. Girls, use tanner that is max 2 shades darker, please. Staying classy tanned is the best way:)

on 6/29/2015 8:41:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

The only complaints I have about this tanner are the smell and the colour intensity. It has that self tanner smell and it takes a few layers to build it up to a dark tan, meaning you are going through product quicker, and this stuff isn't cheap to keep repurchasing! However, apart from that, this is a really amazing tanner - the colour is very natural, not orange or green, and the application process is much easier than other tans because of the colour guard. It hardly streaks and even if you don't apply it evenly, any streaks will wash off in the shower leaving an even tan.

Popular Bronzers