Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM

Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM

CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, SQUALANE, RETINOL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, WATER (AQUA), PENTYLENE GLYCOL, POLYSORBATE 20, LECITHIN, BISABOLOL, ALCOHOL

Prior to this I was using Roc retinol night cream. When I started using Peter Thomas Roths product I noticed a big difference after the first two weeks, fine lines were going away, even my eye bags were shrinking, and an overall amazing texture and look in my skin.
Its so easy to apply with the applicator, the texture of the formula feels great, it soaks right into skin without leaving skin greasy.
For retinol A to be effective it has to be a high enough concentrated dose and this definately has a high enough dose, that's why they proudly display their retinol percentage while Roc retinol will not even tell theirs, even though users have a right to know, it could be a tiny dot that they put in for all we know.
I did take off a star because it's so high priced, I was given a bottle as a present and could never afford to continue using it, so I'm sure my results will diminish eventually aftet I quit using it. Its unfortunate that one of the only effective products out there are unaffordable, and not marketed for lower middle class, but you get what you pay for I guess.

on 11/28/2017 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This did nothing for me. I used a whole bottle. Saw 0 results.

on 11/23/2017 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is a pass for me I love PTR products but after using 2 bottles of these and have not seen or feel any difference in my skin it's a pass for me.

on 11/23/2017 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I use a few drops every night and I would say it will last about 4 months. The texture feels silky, almost oily - but its not oily and it absorbs quickly.
Of all the serums I have tried - NIOD, Skinceuticals, Caudalie, Medik8, The Ordinary, Dennis Gross - this is my favourite. My skin responds well to it and I've not experienced any adverse side effects.

This is an excellent product in so many ways. I adore the texture. It's very light and easy to spread. Sinks in very quickly. Best of all, despite the high concentration of retinol, it's extremely gentle and doesn't dry out or irritate by delicate skin the way other products I've used do. I have some post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation that I'm trying to rid myself of and it's really been a great help.

on 10/28/2016 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have used this for 2 full months and see no difference in my skin. I have oily skin, sun damage and large pores. I don't think you can compare any over the counter products to prescription retin a or tazorac which is what I have used the past. I won't be repurchasing this. I also have the bottle and the dropper.

Update: Still no improvement after 4 months.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this product! I've been using this for about 2.5 months now and my skin is glowing (though I think that is in part also thanks to my Hylamide C25). I have not had any peeling or dryness from this retinol serum - I use it every other night alternating it with the Mad Hippie Vitamin A serum. When I finish with the Mad Hippie, I'd like to continue on with this serum, and start alternating this with the Peter Thomas Roth 3% retinol.

on 5/22/2016 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

There are so many reviews on this that I won't go into the ingredient's and potency, etc. I have been through many retinol products over the past 20(gulp), years and I agree with many others this product hold up to quality for an OTC retinol product :)

I will say this is by far my favorite retinol product. It absorbs like water, is not oily or greasy and I see and feel huge skin benefits from it. I am at the end of my 3rd bottle and have been without it for a bit and just ordered another.....I truly think PTR does a great job in general of product effectiveness by order and strength and of his ingredients per product and what it is suppose to do. I have kind of found I love a few of his products but this is my favorite of all. The peel pads are really great also in con-juction with this,(retinol pm/peel pad am).

I don't have sensitive skin but I do have drier skin and this does not cause any dryness nor have I had any sensitivity issues.

I will note that each bottle has been a little different in color and the color can change a tad over time but I've never noticed any issue of ineffectiveness or skin irritation due to it. (in fact I believe it says color changes/variants are normal on the box/instructions or I think I read it somewhere regarding PTR?). Very, very important that you shake the bottle before each use and don't leave any product in the dropper.....make sure it all get's shaken up before you use the dropper to pull up product. :)
Which I like the dark blue glass bottle to help protect the retinol from light and the dropper to keep from contamination with skin etc.

This will not give you the same results as a prescription retinol but for OTC it's very, very good and fantastic for keeping your skin smooth and fine lines, dryness, diminishes sun spots. I have no negatives other than a tad pricey but it last's a long while and like I said for me it's the best results OTC retinol product I've tried....and their have been many,(including uber pricey brands that didn't even come close). Well, done PTR. :)

on 12/12/2015 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

My hormonal acne is a mysterious, enigmatic creature that I still struggle to understand. I'm always reluctant to say a specific product "caused" me to break out because: a. acne seems highly random, and b. in my mind, I always think the pimple I see today, probably started forming like 2 weeks ago? Who knows.

To give some history, I've used prescription retinoids- specifically generic retin-a & tazorac in the past. They are/were somewhat effective, but the problem I've always had with prescription retinoids is over time, they sensitize and irritate my skin severely. Within a few months of using them, any benefit they provide is overshadowed by the constant pain and redness they leave me with.

That being said, I've never had the "purging" that sometimes happens when you start using retinoids- in fact when I first start using them, what I see is an immediate reduction in the inflammation of my existing acne. Since prescription retinoids are highly effective for my inflammatory acne- but too strong for my skin to tolerate, I decided to try Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM. My thoughts were; over the counter retinol is much milder that prescription retinoids, maybe my skin can tolerate OTC retinol, and reap the anti-inflammatory benefits.

I only used Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM 3 times- once by itself, and twice over my prescription Duac (benzoyl peroxide 5%/clindamyacin 1.2%). Again, I'm always wary to "blame" a product for breaking me out- but all three times I used this product, I woke up with a mini-breakout! This last time, I got about 4 small and 1 large pimple- but all were very inflamed, red, and "angry".

I seldom get a bunch of pimples at the same time. I usually get A pimple- and not on a daily basis. For me to wake up with 2 pimples- much less 5- is highly unusual. The problem with my acne is that it seems to take weeks- sometimes months- for some pimples to go away, so when the new ones pop up, there are old ones still hanging around. And all of them (whether they stay short term, or long term) leave dark marks when they do eventually go away.

Maybe it's not the PTR Retinol Fusion- maybe it's just happenstance- but I'm going to take it as the Universe sending me a message and not use this product any further! Part of why I selected this product is that it has a short ingredient list, and all the ingredients are low or non-comedogenic. I'm not sure if it could be squalane (i don't think I've ever used a product with squalane up to this point), or the tocopherol (an artificial form of vitamin e) but both of those ingredients have low comedogenicity...although tocopherol is said to be more comedogenic than other forms of artificial vitamin-e.

That being said, I think this product could be AMAZING for someone with sensitive skin, who responds well to retinoids/retinol- but finds prescription retinoids, or other OTC retinol products to be too harsh longterm. I didn't use this product enough to comment on it's effectiveness for skin discoloration and luckily, I don't have any facial wrinkles- so I can't comment on that either.

Pros: this product NEVER burned or stung when I applied it, even when I applied it over my Duac. Since prescription retinoids almost always stung me on application, I think this product is VERY gentle and could work well for people with sensitive skin. I even used this product under my eyes- the most sensitive part of my face- and had no problems.

Cons: The consistency of this serum is like water. I had a hard time applying it and always felt like I was wasting a lot of it because there'd be serum running down my hands and arms every time I applied it. But keeping in mind I only used it 3 times, my bottle looks like I've used almost none of it.

So this is a definite "no ma'am" for me, but I would imagine this could be an amazing product for many other people based on the abundance of positive reviews, and the fact that it seems so very gentle- when most retinoids and retinol product are not.

Everyone's skin is different, and reacts differently to different products. What breaks one person out, may work marvelously for another person. And just because a product or ingredient is low or non-comedogenic doesn't mean it won't cause SOME people to break out. Unfortunately, the only way to know if something does/doesn't break you out is by using it.

This is the first product that has shrunk my pores on my face. I had a Coworker tell me recently that I look like my Facebook photo. Why is that surprising? It is a 20 years ago photo!