79%
package quality

price range

Reviews

14 years ago

I have had the Gently Gold Caress for around 5 plus years. I used it regularly for about 2 years, then I moved and forgot about it. >>Cut to this summer (06). I am tired of shaving, and even within a few hours of shaving, my legs look and feel stubbly (I have dark,coarse leg hair)- never smooth. So I finally found my Emjoi in a box, and ZOWIE! I have to laugh at the "Gently" and "Caress". I'm guessing that whoever named this thing did not have a command of the English language and somehow thought those words were synonymous with "Masochistic" and "Yanking". That said, it hurts less the more you use it, and it IS tolerable. For me, the results are absolutely worth it, and I won't be without it again. I LOVE not having to shave every single time I want to throw on a skirt or pair of shorts! It is convenient and portable, but you won't be able to keep your "Gentle Caresses" a secret, as this thing is quite a hummer! This has been a durable item, and is still going strong years later. I would definitely repurchase. I use this on legs & underarms

About reviewer (38 reviews)

SkinDry, Other, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

EyesOther

14 years ago

I was surprised by how loud it is, yup, it's as loud as a lawn mower! I used it on my armpits after using some benzocaine gel and it didnt hurt much but it only removed 30% of the hair after multiple passes. I decided to try again after a few days for the hair to grow longer. This time it removed 50% of the remaining hair on my right armpit so I decided to switch to my left. Zzzzzzzap, a big flap of skin got caught in the machine! It was so stuck that I thought that I would have to go to the ER! I finally was able to pull my flesh out after a few minutes of panic. It was all red =0( I was stubborn though and didnt want to have wasted $60 so I tried again on my right armpit. I tried it in multiple directions and was able to get 90% of the remaining hair. Sooo, what did I decide to do? Try again on my left side! Baaaaaad idea, yup, it got stuck again and a bigger flap of skin too! Ok, now I really started to panic, how stupid can I be, arghhh. I pulled and pulled and took off the head and finally managed to retrieve my red, bleeding, and stretched out flesh. Never will I use that stupid epilator again. I plucked the remaining hairs...and I will probably do that from now on.

About reviewer (35 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBlack

15 years ago

HG, especially for underarms. Hurts but pain decreases after several uses, and you develop techniques to make it less painful. Can take off stubble. I use the original model (not the Optima). Noise level is low to moderate. Can be time consuming for legs and usually doesn't get everything, but overall I wouldn't want to be without it.

About reviewer (65 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlue

15 years ago

I bought this epilator after hearing from a co-worker how wonderful this is. I was looking for an alternative to messy waxing and irritating shaving. This was not a good choice! This machine number one is super noisy. Sounds like you're using a lawnmower on your legs! EEEK! Second, it doesn't do what it's advertised to do. The theory is that these little metal plates will act like a set of tweezers and "tweeze" out large chunks of hair. It's supposed to pull the hair out by the root, much like waxing, thus damaging the hair follicle. The damaging of the hair follicle will cause the hair that grows back in to be weaker and eventually die off. This is the same theory as waxing and it is true that after time with proper waxing techniques, less hair will grow. The problem with this little machine is that it didn't pull out the hair by the root, instead it broke the hair off leaving nasty stubble and irritated skin. It was like using a VERY DULL razor. All you got was pain from the hair being pulled hard enough to break off and no reward. Maybe my hair is just extra resistant because I've heard good things about this product from gals with blond or fair colored hair. People with fair hair usually have finer textured body hair thus it's easier to remove. Those of us with naturally darker hair have hair that's a bit thicker. This epilator just isn't strong enough to do much of anything except battle a little peach fuzz. Don't waste your money. All you'll get is pain and irritated skin. Waxing hurts but at least it gets the job done, this doesn't do much of anything except sound scary and hurt like heck!

About reviewer (182 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairRed, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

15 years ago

The Emjoi Gently Gold Caress recieves only a 4 lippie rating for the following reasons: 1. This machine is VERY loud, I would rate as loud as a blender or mixer on medium speed. In fact, my DustBuster makes less noise than this epilator. 2. Because of the Extremely Loud Noise, I cannot epilate at my convenience. I have a roomate, and epilating when she is trying to sleep is inconsiderate to her (and my neighbors). 3. It does not epilate or tweeze all of the hairs with one swipe, but leaves a few about millimeter above skin level, leaving the faintest bit of stubble. This is solved by a) passing over the area again (and again) in attempt to grab the hair, b) shaving or c) leaving those pesky hairs where they are at. Overall, this is a machine that removed about 85% of my hair. I currently use it on my underams and legs. The unit is too large to use on my upper lip and did not seem to be effective on my bikini line, but I am planning to purchase the smaller Emjoi for use on my face and bikini line exclusively. Otherwise, this product pleases me because it has considerably thinned out my body hair. This product is worth using, even if just for for your underarms because I only have to do it once a week. The epilator comes with a pouch for travel but I would prefer a hard case. This is my first epilator so I will probably want to purchase a different one, therefore I would not buy it again.

About reviewer (25 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBlack

3.0

15 years ago

This review is of the Emjoi Optima. I got it when I was going to be traveling for an extended time on a boat, where there was limited water but unlimited power. It was very painful for the first time I used it (legs, underarms, arms, bikini), but the pain lessened with each use. I like not having stubble, but this product misses a lot of hair in my case, and I have to go over the area with a tweezer. Also, it caused a lot of ingrowns on me, despite Tendskin use. However, the ingrowns lessened when I started using sugar scrubs regularly on areas that I epilate. All in all, I'll keep using this machine when the weather is warm. In the winter, it's just easier for me to shave.

About reviewer (31 reviews)

SkinNormal

HairBrunette

15 years ago

Love love love epilators. These things are great. I have the Gold Caress and even though it can be slightly painful at first, your tolerance level will increase. I use this every day on the bikini and armpit area and then once a week on the legs, arms, and feet. I find this great for the stray hairs I find on my boyfriend's chest, back and arms too. Definitely a must have, I think I going to try the Optimum next because it's supposed to pull out more with less backtracking.

About reviewer (188 reviews)

Age

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Other

15 years ago

This has become a HG product for me! I agree with other posters that this may not work as well for everyone. I have dark hair that is fairly corse, and usually after I shave I feel "prickly" again after a few hours. And if I get goose bumps, it's like I didn't shave at all. What a pain for ever trying to wear skirts that show off my legs, because even right after I shaved, you could see the hair follicle openings. So I decided to try this...and I absolutely love it! yes, it hurts, but it really only was extremely painful the very first time I did it. I would follow the advice of another poster and get your legs waxed first if you don't want to deal with that kind of pain. I don't know how I got through it! But now that I'm just doing "maintenance" once a week or so, it's not too painful at all. It's true using this product alone will probably not get you totally smooth, though it gets me pretty close. I just shave when I want to be totally smooth, now, and my legs feel great for a few days after, now, instead of an hour! No kidding! This works best for me on my lower legs and knee areas. I think the hairs on my upper legs is just too fine. And for some reason everytime I've tried to epilate there, the tops of my thighs are SO painful to epilate still. So I think I will just shave them when I need to, since the hair is so fine it wasn't really a problem to start with. I also use this on my arms every once in awhile and love it. Makes my arm hair so much less noticeable. Love this product!!!

About reviewer (7 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinAcne-prone

HairBrown

16 years ago

***Review is for the “Emjoi Optima”*** There is nowhere else to put this review for now. Once an “Emjoi” category is added or “Emjoi Optima,” then I can move it. Anyway, I struggle with KP and unfortunately for me, epilating my legs with this made it just explode on my lower legs/around the knees areas. I finally had to give up and go back to shaving to get it under control. Ironically, waxing does NOT cause this problem, but I did want something where I didn’t have to shave and also didn’t have to wait as long before I could do hair removal, ie waxing. Aside from that, managing the pain from using this wasn’t a problem for me as I simply indulged in 2-3 glasses of wine and that worked better than Advil ever could have. Plus, I get the impression this works best on ladies with truly coarse/very coarse hair, as it just didn’t seem to grab the fine hairs effectively.

About reviewer (34 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

16 years ago

I adore my Emjoi Optima. Does it hurt? Of course it hurts! But here's a tip: either wax yourself or get a pro waxing before you use your Emjoi the first time. When you grow out all your hair, using an epilator will absolutely KILL--you'll be sweating and cringing and cursing under your breath. However, when you epilate the fine hairs as they grow back, once or twice a week--not so bad! Of course it takes getting used to, but it's a great investment. I'd rather spend an hour a week with my Emjoi than spend hundreds of dollars on razor blades, constantly nicking myself, and dealing with gross stubble every single day.

About reviewer (32 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral