79%
package quality

price range

Reviews

11 years ago

OK My first mistake was using it on my monthly cycle (not brilliant I know) BUT let me tell you. I was scared of it only because I am a total wuss when it comes to pain (LOL) but I needed something where I didn't have to schave every day as it was when I shaved within an hour (no joke) I had stubble like you wouldn't beleive. So in trying this, I did my legs first and absolutely loved the results. It didn't hurt as I thought it would but in my calf area it did hurt but I was fine with it after tasking several small breaks and listening to my ipod. It really wasn't that bad. I could not do under my arm area though. I will def give that a try once my cycle is done, but let me tell you, I absolutely love this and cannot wait for summer!! Would def buy and like I said if I could tolerate the "pain" during my cycle, I am sure it will be all the easier when I am not!!

About reviewer (53 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesBlue

11 years ago

In December of 2008 I purchased an Emjoi AP-10LR light caress, cordless/corded for around $80 on amazon.com. I’ve been using it on and off since then and I love it!!! I use it ever week/every other week on my legs, under arms and my down there area (all of it). I won’t lie it hurts a bit down there. So a lot of the time I do as much as I can and shave what I can’t. It hurt the first time I did it on my legs but not after the fist for second time. I just pop one alive a few minutes before doing it. I don’t do it when I’m close to my period. The best time is right after it ends. After epilating if I think I’ll get ingrown I’ll put a little Neosporin and that prevents them. This thing is sooo fantastic for girls with dark hair! I’m Italian and have dark hair so it seems like every time I shave I have stubble within 20 min. Normal I epilate then shave to get really smooth. That will last smooth for two to three days!! I love this product!! (if you have questions feel free to mail me!)

About reviewer (14 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrunette

11 years ago

I have this epilator, the Remington Silky Smooth, and the Braun 7280 Silk-Epil Xpressive Epilator. I have really course dark hair. I like using this one on my legs, it's probably the most gentle. But if it's not plugged in it's not powerful enough (so I can't use it cordless), also if the skin is the least bit moist (like right after a shower), it again loses power and stops spinning.

About reviewer (334 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Other

11 years ago

I actually bought the Emjoi Body Bare "Allegro". I used this after shaving because my hair seems to grow back in waves (?), I figured it would be less painful, and I was right! I keep this in the lounge, and every few days I will throw down a towel and just run it over my legs while I watch TV. Yes, it is loud (I wait for the ads), and if I used it on just a plain old hairy leg it would be painful, but it is tres bearable when only a third of the hairs are there (like I said, after I shave, not all the hairs grow back at once). I'd recommend...

About reviewer (34 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairOther

12 years ago

I've used this for years and LOVE it. It's much better than being a slave to the razor, and as for the pain, I got used to it, and it became less painful after a few times of using it. Now it's a tingle that I actually enjoy, haha, maybe that's just because I know it's pulling out those nasty hairs, but I do honestly enjoy using it. I just wish it was a little quieter, but the noise isn't a deal-breaker.

About reviewer (182 reviews)

Age

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

1.0

12 years ago

I didn't think that this simple little gadget would hurt that bad. Wrong. I was in tears trying to use this thing. So I said to hell with this sh*ttin' thing and threw it under my sink. I don't mean to be hostile, but I hate that contraption!

About reviewer (76 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair

HairRed

EyesBlue

13 years ago

I've had legs, underarms & bikini waxed multiple times- but my schedule is so tight that making the time to get this done - just rarely happens. I had been thinking about buying this for a while- and I finally sprung for it in August. I LOVE it. I have dark hair- and have waxed everything a number of times. My observations & tips: Loud- YES- its loud- but I think using it in the bathroom, which is already a bit of an echo chamber seems to make it louder. Hurt- YES- the first time I used it on my legs, I used solarcaine spray on my legs- the pain was tough (I am no wimp- but it really surprised me). The second time I used it on my legs- no problem, very little pain. I also use it for my bikini area. My ENTIRE bikini area. Again- hurt like the dickens the first time, not so much now- really I can barely tell- its just like this dull twinge- NOTHING like whet it fels like the first time. I also do my underarms and arms. And it is sooooooo much easier to maintain it than let my legs or bikini grow out completely & do over. I use this once a week to maintain any new growth. I LOVE it. Price- one of these cost me less than I pay for one visit to the salon for a full leg wax- YES, its worth it. Totally & completely. This thing reminds me of a corded razor- the noise, the way you hold and use it is similar. I just run it over the area a few times- sometimes in a circular motion to get stubborn hairs- and it works like a charm. I find it pulls the entire hair- roon & all. I think if its tool long, though- it may just grab the hair , snap it and cause it to retract under the skin- this is what causes ingrown hair. I had a real problem in the bikini area in terms of ingrown hair- and the thing I found works best- is after using the emjoi- I put some tea tree oil on a cotton ball & apply to the area- then I follow up with moisturizer daily- a good one with shea butter. And I made sure the hair isn't too long when I remove it. So- I'd suggest shaving the area in full & then come back with the emjoi in a week or two to do the evil removal deed. Its easy to use- the noise isn't a major hindrance- the power cord, while not ideal is very long & I found has never been a problem. I'm glad I have the corded version so it wont run out of juice mid leg (Which I have heard the cordless model does). Also- when it removes the hair- it really just pretty much drops them wherever it wants- so definitely do it in the tub- or over a towel. I really wasn't thinking when I used this- and my bathroom floor looked like the floor of a barber shop when I was done the first time. Now I try to stand in the tub. I'm impatient- and end up using this every few days. Ideally I'd only use it every 10 days- to give the hair a chance to grow out evenly. Its just that its so easy to use- I'd rather take 5 minutes to touch up my legs every few days then wait... My sister is getting one of these from me for Christmas- she was one of the original "EpiLady" users... This thing will blow her away! I got it thru Amazon- but I know Folica.com sells it as well- but I think Amazon had a better price though.

About reviewer (70 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

13 years ago

I bought one several years ago and used it for a while then put it away. Last month I dug it out again, determined to stick with it so I could have smoother skin, finer hair regrowth, etc. I pretty much use this all over. It seems to help the hair pull out easier if I shower first for 5 min while lightly exfoliating. Also, it's very important to hold the skin taut that you are working on. I hold the device so that the label is turned away. If I touch up often, it doesn't even hurt in most places, but if I go for a while without using it, then it hurts like it does when I used it the first time. When I bought this, it was about $100, so I imagine the price has come down a lot by now. I especially love this for the underarms. I put off using it there for a long time because I thought that would be one of the most painful areas, but as long as I hold the skin taut, I don't even feel anything! It's corded so sometimes the cord will get in the way, and you have to use it near a power supply. I usually sit on a towel on the floor with a good light source nearby. It's noisy and I wonder if people can hear it outside the house, but I don't feel like ear plugs are required for mine. Again, it's very important to hold the skin with the hair you're working on taut, otherwise it will take more passes to get all the hair, but the worst part is, it may actually pull looser skin up *in* it, which hurts like crazy!! As you can tell, I didn't take my own advice before. It isn't as fast as waxing since the hairs aren't pulled out all at once like in waxing. You have to make multiple passes with the Emjoi. But it's much faster than tweezing and some other hair removal methods. After use, I sometimes apply some emu oil to calm any irritated skin. My hair is dark and grows fast, so by using this, I love not having to shave everytime I shower or want to wear shorts. I plan to buy another eventually when this one konks out.

About reviewer (225 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

13 years ago

I have corded Gentle Gold Caress epilator (light mauve) for about 7 years now. I paid about $50+ at that time and really like it. At first, it was painful but not anymore unless I'm closer to my period when epilating. I even purchased cordless version (deep blue) but prefer corded version because it's easy to have power ready. Cordless has to be recharged and if it's not fully recharged, it doesn't perform well. I used mine for my legs and underarms. I prefer Emjoi over Remington Smooth & Silky (great for hair from my upper lip) or Braun Silk epil (easy to clean). I could not get complete hairless with those two for my legs. Emjoi perform well, took hair out of the roots, and I have hairless skin for a few weeks. I can't use for bikini area though. I can't tolerate the pain ;( I don't like Emjoi slim compact epilator. It was really a painful experience with that compact version. Both full sizes of my Emjoi corded and cordless are working perfectly well as of today so I will definitely purchase again when I need a new one. Just don't share yours with anyone else and clean thouroughly after each use. Also use "Aloe Vera gel" after epilation. It saves your skin from red or bumps. Oh, stay away from AHA products for 24 hours after epilation. Don't worry about the noise; not as loud as your hair dryer. Mine are not as lound as T3 Evolution in high speed. See picture: http://img.makeupalley.com/8/3/7/3/765244.JPG

About reviewer (228 reviews)

SkinOily, Medium, Neutral

HairBlack, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlack

13 years ago

This review is for Emjoi Optima ($90 full price). It has 2 rotating parts. I used the Gold version for 3 years, after this came out, I upgraded. Both work fine after regular use for 3-4 years.I haven't used razor or waxed in years. Noisy? Come on. It wont wake up your neighbors. I even use this on my upper lip and bikini (I remove everything there with it). But I have to say that I have high pain tolerance. It doesn't bother me at all. Love not thinking about stubble for 2 weeks at a time (at least). HG

About reviewer (23 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm