Unii Cosmetics Palette

Unii Cosmetics Palette

4.2

on 3/2/2015 5:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Update2: seems like Unii lost their customers after producing their new, crappy palettes, so it seems they have removed their site

Update: Unii Cosmetics never offered me any solution after I told them there was a problem. Oh, and they denied that they had gotten any other complaints about the same problems. Riiight... Notice: many of the reviews here are for the old palette, which I had for 4 years before it broke :'(

I have had the old Unii Palette, and recently bought a new as replacement. What is different between the old and new:

- The new one is quite a lot heavier: almost the double of the old one
- The new palette is very slightly thicker, but actually is slightly less deep than the original
- The old one was easier to clean, as many parts could be taken out
- The old one had a rubber gasket to ensure that the palette was well closed. The new palette doesn't close as tightly, which doesn't mean it will open, but dust can get in, and if you carry it around and something breaks, powder can get out. The new one DOESN'T close fully!
- New palette has sparkles, while the old ones didn't - sparkles are pretty, imo
- The old palettes could get scratches pretty easily, but the new ones... WTH?! I managed to scratch my palette with a soft paper towel! (Not exaggerating)
- The old palette was very good quality - no defects, while the old one has a few rough edges, indents etc.
- The old palette had a metal plate, which meant that you had to glue a magntic sheet under your metal pans if they weren't magnetic, but this was provided. Now, the "whole" pan is magnetic, which is NOT an improvement!! The magnets are placed in stripes, with spaces in-between, which means that not the whole surface is magnetized. Pans will jump (literally) to where the magnets are, which means you cannot place them as you wish (I will put out a photo when I have time). Also....
- The magnets in the new palette are a hastle, as not everything will be magnetized to them well. I have the old palette full of MAC eyeshadows. As these have aluminum pans, they will not stick to the magnets. What Unii suggests to do is place a magnet under them and make them stick where the palette doesn't have magnets (as said, the magnets are placed in stripes). The result: VERY weak magnetization - useless for travel, as your pans are GUARANTEED to fall out and get completely scrambled. There are some things that stick, but it sure isn't any of my MAC products, even with a generously-sized not-a-magnet sheet. What I have found to stick: Artdeo pans, Yaby pans, Inglot, not Dior pans
- If I put a lot of things into the palette, the magnets are "used up" (there's only a finite amount of magnetic holding power), and anything more WON'T STICK. Like: AT ALL. All of those pictures you see, with lots of different products in the palette: those products would stick well in the old palette, but DEFINITELY NOT in the new - they would begin falling out when you turned the palette vertically
- although I store some stuff in the palette, I hate that it can slide around while I pick up some of the product with a brush
- my eyeshadow brushes no longer fit in the palette because it's less deep

What is the same:

- They have brought the old colours back, but probably only to trick customers into thinking they're buying the original palette, as they said in the beginning the old colours would not come back
- The price: now you pay the same for a product of lesser quality! $29
- the mirror

Maybe superior:
- looks like it should be quite sturdy, with no flimsy parts (although the hinges might brake if you drop it). But as said: much heavier

Overall, my experience of the new palette is that it's almost useless to me: this is not a palette I can travel with. Customer service was also bad: they didn't even bother replying to my message when I said I had some problems with the palette. I will for sure NOT repurchase this ever again! If you're used to the old palette or have a lot of MAC pans, I would definitely NOT recommend you to buy this

on 10/16/2013 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I haven't used the old Unii palette that people say is superior, but think the current ones (purchased October 2013) are great. They are smaller than I thought - slightly larger than the size of my hand and significantly smaller than the original Z Palette, making this a great option for travel. I like my Zs for storing product but not for travel. Unii has a very secure closure and is made of sturdy plastic so I feel comfortable traveling with it, I don't feel the same about my Zs. I do travel with tissue folded between the makeup and mirror, as per the packaging's recommendation.

Yes, it is weighty because of the useful mirror and magnetized bottom, but it's worth the weight and price. It's quite good quality and a clever design. Some reviewers said baked (convex) makeup fits, but my MAC baked blush and Revlon baked powder does not. I have the black (midnight), it has tiny gold flecks of glitter. The white one is on it's way!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I bought my first Unii palette in 2010 and loved it. It was sturdy and superior in quality to any of the other palettes on the market. I even removed the mirror and glued another metal plate in for twice as much storage. Since then I've loved using it and have had no problems.

I just ordered another palette (honeysuckle, which is a pretty color) and was extremely disappointed to see that the quality has diminished greatly! The plastic is cheaper, the size off somehow, it doesn't open and latch as smoothly and it just generally feels poor. I've emailed the company to inform them of this, we'll see if they respond, but I'm just amazed at how they can so clearly change the design and quality without lowering the price. I get that moving production to the USA from Korea is a positive but it seems more like a move to increase profit rather than provide a better product and support American manufacturing. Will not buy again-- so disappointing.

on 1/25/2013 4:39:00 PM

I am reviewing the new style Unii palette. I was a little apprehensive to buy the new style because I read that it wasn't as good as the original. I really like the new one. The only complaint I can think of is that there are cracks on the side when it is closed so its not completely sealed air tight. Other than that, this palette is great quality and worth the price. The built in magnetic bottom is great and I love the new colors. I have honey suckle which is a pink color with subtle glitter. Its overly girly but I like it. I can fit about 12 pro shadows inside which is all I need for my everyday use. This is such a nice small size that it fits nicely in my travel makeup bag or any makeup drawer. I also find that is is easy to clean and is very durable.

on 2/25/2012 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

-Too expensive, instead I just got a plastic case and lined it with magnet to use.
-Its very sturdy when dropped, but it still broke almost all of my eyeshadows inside! D':
-The pictures always show a lot of makeup inside, but when I put mine in it all looks cramped inside.
Overall its nice, and i love the magnet idea, but not worth the price.

on 10/9/2012 12:57:00 PM

I can't say I would buy one again. I had mine for a couple of months and it slipped out of my purse and broke open on my hardwood floor. It scattered my makeup everywhere, I was so upset. In the end I bought a zpalette and I am absolutely in love with it.

on 10/5/2011 2:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I've never been so impressed by any makeup tools as this.

Unii palette alllows me to customize my own makeup collection, which ususally comprises multiple brands. I got myself two palettes. One to create everyday total face palette ( a tarte amazonian clay blush, a tarte bronzer, and 11 eyeshadows of various brands). I'm a frequent traveler. If I go on a trip, this is thr one palette I take. Another one is a fun palette with the rest of my 17 most favorite eyeshadows.

Here's why I love them!
- Travel-friendly: Before I used to juggle holding a mirror, opening several individual eyeshadow packets, blush on, etc. Now all I need is this total face palette with a built-in mirror.
- You know what you have: This makes me more creative in my make up, instead of always going to the usual eyeshadows just because they sit on top of my vanity and I can see them. Also, by knowing what I have, I can avoid buying similar eyeshadows.(silly, I know)
- Cleaner makeup area: When I depotted those eyeshadows, a massive amount of packaging came out. I could not believe my vanity used to look like that. Now it's so much classier-looking. These palettes are so gorgeous.
- I can now travel wih my Wet 'n Wild shadows!: if you own some of their palettes like me, you would probably also love the shadows, but hate the packaging. Their soft eyeshadows and the flimpsy packaging are definitely a bad duo. I could not imagine how you can travel with them. Not any more!

Tips: If you want to pack more color varieties for your trip but feel like you cant't fit enough into a unii palettp, NYX smokey palettes have square little shadows. You can fit a lot of these into each unii palette.

I was so excited to get my Unii palette but I think it's a little disappointing compared to what I was expecting. Unii recently updated their palettes and packaging and raised the price $1. They used to be $29 with US shipping and now they're "on sale" for $26 plus $4 shipping.
The biggest disappointment is the new design. The steel plate is built into the palette and there is no removable rubber gasket; that part is now solid plastic. It doesn't come apart for cleaning anymore! There's a tiny gap between the plate and the sides and I know powder/dust will get trapped in there with no way to clean it out. It also doesn't "seal" at all and I can see into my palette from the side when it's closed!
I wanted plain white and ordered mine in "Crystal." It has small sparkles that remind me of lipgloss or a snowglobe and I'd like it better if it didn't have these.
The thumb grip has also changed. It used to be a small Unii logo encased in an acrylic block. Now it's a large rubber logo that wasn't cut from the mold very well (it has chunks of rubber on the side that I'll have to trim off). It's also a little grey around the edges and looks dirty even though it's brand new.
Overall, I think it looks less professional and polished than it used to. Without the ability to take it apart for cleaning and without the seal to keep loose/spilled makeup from escaping during travel, it's just a pretty, overpriced palette.

on 1/16/2012 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

UPDATE~

I emailed the company after mine broke, and was told that they started making a more durable palette. CS requested pic and and address which i gave them, and within weeks I had a brand new palette made of heavier plastic.

Unii CS was outstanding, and I adore companies which back there products.

Therefore I WILL buy again!!

very happy

Got this and loved it!

Loved that it came apart and i could by mac products cheap!! at pro price

Drop on my counter and it broke in half

Heartbroken

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I agreed with the other reviewrs. I am very disappointed with the new unii palette design. I like the orginal version better with all the removal parts. The original version looks alot sturdier than the new one and it also sticks better. I've been searching far and wide for the old version but can't find anywhere that sells it anymore. Really, really disappointed. Because of this I'm switching back to the the Z-palette. It's cheaper and the quality better.Unii, if you are reading this...bring back the old design and I'll come back.....until then....Z-palette it is....