Lavanila The Healthy Suncreen SPF 40 Face Cream

No Image

3.5

Zinc Oxide 5.0%, Titanium Dioxide 7.5%, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice* (Aloe, Water), Capric Caprylic Triglycerides (Coconut Oil), Butyrospermum Parkii* (Shea Butter), Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut Oil), Jojoba Oil*, Ethyl Hexyl Palmitate (Palm Oil), Morinda Citrifolia (Noni Juice), Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Flower Extract*, Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Polyglyceryl-3 Stearate (Vegetable Glycerin/Palm Oil), Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Allantoin (Vegetable), Sodium PCA (Amino Acid), Hyaluronic Acid, Phenethyl Alcohol & Ethyl Hexyl Glycerin (Plant-Based Preservatives), Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla) Extract*, Green Tea Extract. *Certified Organic

on 10/28/2015 2:25:00 PM

Lavanila The Healthy SunScreen Face Cream SPF 30 is an effective natural sunscreen. It has a healthy complex of minerals and antioxidants, though I am dissatisfied with the idea that this sunscreen includes “amino acids”. (Sodium PCA is a weak excuse for an amino acid!) That said, I like Lavanila The Healthy SunScreen Face Cream SPF 30 for daily protection and nourishment, especially for small children and those who are pregnant or nursing.

Read more on our blog!

on 6/25/2014 1:06:00 PM

I use this sunscreen around my eyes. It doesn't make my eyes burn, and it is moisturizing. I couldn't use it on my entire face unfortunately, I'm too oily for that.

I did not like this product that much when I first bought it - it felt greasy and looked whitening. However, it has since become my daily sunscreen (my daylight savings from super now discontinued and expired...) The greasiness goes away after about 30 minutes and the white cast is more pearly than chalky (no flakes or streaks!). The main reasons for repurchase for me are 1. this washes off at the end of the day 2. no -cone ingredients and 3, haven't found anything better that meets criteria 1 & 2. I would not necessarily "trust" this sunscreen for a day largely spent outdoors because I understand the concentration of active ingredients is relatively low.

Edit: I've been mixing this with burnout sunscreen which makes it less greasy feeling and also costs less. Together they are really nice!

I am on the hunt for a natural sunscreen (preferably one on the EWG site because not all natural products are necessarily less toxic). This product is natural and has an excellent rating on the EWG site. However, it is so thick! I like natural products because I think they're better for health/healthy skin, but I think the ideal product is one that is both natural AND allows skin to breathe. Even for days I don't wear makeup and for body sun protection, I feel lightweight products (that aren't waterproof) are best for the skin. I give this 2 points for being natural and easy to find. (A lot of natural products are sold in obscure stores, but this can be found at any Sephora.)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

It's greasy, it leaves a strong white cast, and it's really shiny. In other words, it has everything I DON'T want in a sunscreen. By the end of the afternoon, I had developed 4 blemishes! UGH. Horrible product for acne-prone.

on 9/2/2013 1:29:00 PM

I tried really hard to like this sunscreen. I was looking for something natural and moisturizing so that I would not have to apply two separate products in the morning. This sunscreen is everything I did not want. It moisturizes well, but it goes on greasy, no matter how little I apply. Also, my face itches like crazy when I am wearing this product. I am not allergic to any ingredients in any face products, so I do not understand this phenomenon. I cannot use makeup successfully over this product, the grease factor is so high. I will not be repurchasing.

This is a good product, but not perfect. I'll share the "cons" first - there is not much UVA protection. It also can leave a white cast to the face, but on me it fades after a few minutes. However, on a darker skin tone (I am NC15) it would look ghastly white and I'm not sure if it would ever go away.
There are lots of pros though, and that's why I would repurchase:
There is no strong discernible sunscreen smell. it doesn't really smell like anything! The texture is very nice. it's a tad moisturizing (not too much), and absorbs quickly. The white cast fades after a few minutes, and is remedied by foundation anyway. I have had no irritation from this sunscreen. it's chemical sunscreen free AND paraben free, yahoo! It also has not clogged my pores, as most sunscreens do. It also does not make my face shiny/oily at all! It wears well all day. the ingredient list is nice, too! I just wish it had more UVA protection. I suppose for an everyday sunscreen, when I'm hardly in the sun, it is fine though.
A lot of people are comparing this to the Baby Block. I personally don't like the Baby Block as much. it is harder to spread on the face, and thus leaves much more of a white cast. it is not as moisturizing, but those with oily skin may prefer this.

on 5/29/2011 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm allergic to chemical sunscreens and I'm always on the lookout for physical sunscreens that I can wear on my face. This one is far too greasy -- I would wear this on my face only at the beach. It's okay for the body, but too expensive to buy just for that purpose.
Shiseido's sunscreen is still the best I have found so far, it's not greasy and it's long-lasting.

on 2/3/2011 11:00:00 AM

I am in love with this sunscreen. It moisturizes so well and it is so easy to rub the white cast away. I have been using this for over a week now and my face is looking better already. I had a bunch of dry spots especially on my cheek and they are now gone. Definitely worth giving a try, it is a little pricey but for the amount you need, a little does go a long way. This is definitely worth repurchasing.

I have used pretty much a full tube of both the Face cream one, and the baby formula. As others have said, I too noticed the ingredients were practically identical, only the baby one was cheaper and a bit more product and green tea.

The main difference between the two is the Face one is more emollient. I believe it has more Shea butter and hyalauronic acid. Sometimes I found I needed to set it with powder. The baby one leaves less of a sheen so it is good to go right after being applied, however, when my skin is more on the dry or flaky side the less-emollient nature is a con as the sunscreen does not sink in as well and leaves some white/a cast or accentuates flakes.

All in all, I will continue to repurchase the baby formula and use the remainder of the Face version on dry-skin days.

It should be said, I used this sunscreen daily from May to September in the South Florida sun and did not burn or tan while wearing this and often a hat + sunglasses. I was outside and sweating for 6+ hours some days for work, and I also run for about an hour daily.

This is definitely a staple item for me. It also seemed to soothe my skin and red marks went away faster. I am breakout prone and did not experience an increase. If anything it helped improve my skin since red marks went away faster. I also used a generous amount of product daily (thick layer that was white upon application but sank in), and each tube lasted several months.