Guerlain Apres l'Ondee

Guerlain Apres l'Ondee
Apres l'Ondee

4.3

Top Notes: Cassia, Neroli, Anise, Bergamot, Lemon.

Heart Notes: Mimosa, Carnation, Sandalwood, Violet, Orris Root, Jasmine, Vetiver, Ylang-Ylang, Rose.

Base Notes: Iris, Amber, Musk, Benzoin, Vanilla, Heliotrope, Styrax.

After reading about Apres L'Ondee a few years ago, I was eager to try it because I am familiar with other Guerlain parfums, and I felt certain I would love it. There is a rumour circulating that it will soon no longer be available in the U.S., and there is another rumour that Guerlain intends to stop making it altogether, so before either one of these possible eventualities became realities, I ordered the eau de toilette on-line from an Amazon seller. This review primarily concerns the current EDT, but I do discuss the vintage extrait at the end to some extent.

The Apres L'Ondee EDT indeed smells very fresh and bright. I found it to be almost loud upon first application of it to my skin, but it quickly dried down to a softer scent. I would describe it as a quite green scent, but it is not green in the way that Diorissimo is green, for example. It smells of soft, vaguely sweet grasses and cut flower stems, not the blossoms so much but the green stems. I do smell flowers, but they seem more distant than the grasses and green stems. I do indeed pick up on a wetness to it as well. After it was on my skin for a couple of hours, I could definitely detect a very light, sweet, vanilla or honey note to it. It is quite charming in the dry down.

I do not particularly like the top notes, but I have only worn it a few times, and my opinion may change later. I like the dry down which is soft, vaguely sweet but not sugary sweet at all, grassy, and slightly wet. Apres is a very demure scent, and as other reviewers have noted, it it not very long lasting. I had perhaps two to three hours of it before it was completely gone. I intend to apply some scent-free lotion before I apply the Apres next time to see if the lotion will help it to linger longer on my skin.

The EDT has moderate to strong projection upon first application, but it quietens down pretty quickly. Sillage is also moderate upon first application, but it, too, quietens down quickly. My biggest criticism is the current EDT's lack of longevity, but this is a criticism I have of virtually all eau de toilettes, and it is the reason why I buy eau de parfum if it is available. Unfortunately, Apres L'Ondee in either eau de parfum or in extrait formulation is no longer made, so if you want to try it, you will either have to purchase the current EDT or find a vintage bottle or decanted sample.

I have been able to sample a vintage Apres L'Ondee in pure parfum formulation, and it is MUCH different from the current EDT. As expected, the vintage parfum has a deeper, creamier smell to it. It is also a bit sweeter but still not candy sweet. It has that wet, grassy sweetness about it. It wears very, very close to the skin, even closer than the EDT and its presence, too, was quite fleeting on my skin. I feel privileged to have been able to sample the long since discontinued extrait, though.

My overall impression of Apres L'Ondee is favourable. After trying it, I do not think anyone exaggerated in describing Apres L'Ondee as an utterly beautiful, iconic fragrance, a classic creation. It is unlike any other scent I have ever tried. Do I recommend you buy a bottle of the current EDT? Yes, it is worth sampling and keeping in your collection as a reference point as well as an historical artefact should Guerlain stop making it. Do I recommend you buy a vintage EDT, EDP, or extrait? Yes, a vintage is very worthy of the cost, and I think if you like this type of scent, then you will really like the vintage Apres L'Ondee.

Fragrance: 10/10
Projection: 3/10
Sillage: 3/10
Longevity: 3/10

on 12/22/2015 8:33:00 AM

Me encanta...me recuerda mucho al olor de los comesticos de la firma.El unico problema que le veo es que no dura nada ..pero es muy buena , pero creo que ese punto de poca duración hace que me decabte por no volver a comprar.

I wonder if this will be posted by the moderator.

Because I think I must be smelling a different perfume than everyone else. But yes, I bought it from a good UK high street store and, yes, it says Après L`Ondée on the box and on the bottle (I like the lovely bee bottle). Is there perhaps an emperor's new clothes story going on in these posts? A whiff of hype? Even Guerlain's own description on its website seems completely at odds with the actual smell of the scent.

From the off I get a powerful smoky liquorice, leather, tobaccoey and anise hit, almost completely drowning out any violet floral in this. There is no freshness at all, no suggestion to me of flowers after the rain; as for it being melancholy, I just don't get that at all. It's absolutely not "feminine", a man could easily wear this and no doubt many have. It's like Brut mixed with some violets. In fact, one reviewer (not on here) said it has an aldehyde in it which also features in Brut.

If you like masculine, earthy scent, you may well like this; it's definitely interesting and much nicer than Brut. But any of you buying this blind, after reading the Guerlain description and all the enthusiastic posts about it being floral and therefore expecting a floral, will get a bit of a surprise

on 3/11/2014 4:11:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Are you old enough to have smelt a leather lace-up rugby or soccer ball that has deflated and dried up somewhat? Or perhaps the way the sports equipment cupboard at school smelt? Another reviewer said 'wet dog's ass' It's all true; those expecting the opening of Apres L'Ondee to wow them at first sniff may be disappointed, but as with a creaking wooden door complete with iron hinges that opens into a secret garden you have to wait for her beauty to unfold. Leave the door behind. It won't hurt if you actually go for a walk and let the warmth of your body dilate the perfume into your senses. Trample the violets for one last time. This may be the year ALO is discontinued, at least sample a piece of history before it is gone. As I write there are massive price fluctuations happening with the remaining stocks. Some sources are $100 more than an online discounter. Try to find it at the best price and if you don't like it give it as a gift to someone who loves the Arts and Crafts period of design.

on 4/9/2013 5:43:00 AM

I have recently been exploring fragrances and trying to branch out from the usual mainstream perfumes. I read an article about this perfume and it really piqued my interest, I was lucky enough to manage to find a sample relatively easily. Well I have to say that this is the most exquisite scent I have ever worn. It is light but complex, delicate but with depth. It is absolutely gorgeous and the first guerlain that I have been able to wear and truly appreciate. I think it is worth every cent and is of the highest quality, just superb. I will be saving for a full bottle!

on 3/1/2013 3:26:00 AM

After all those great reviews I had such high hopes for loving this perfume and I bought it unsniffed (it's rare to find and there was no possability to spray this in a shop).
Oh how disappointed I was when my package arrived....
Apres l'ondee (edt) has a sort of medicinal smell on my skin and it's very longlasting on me (4-5h). Just like Prada Infusion d'Iris, which I don't like either.
So get a chance to try this on your skin before buying. It can go really wrong with your body chemistry.
If you love powdery fragrances with anise, some flower and musk: try Guerlain L'instant pour homme. It's an underrated perfume jewel, also for women!
And when I think of a perfume that's inspired by After the rainflood, A Scent by Issey Miyake comes to my mind.

on 2/18/2013 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

Aprs l'Onde is my favourite rainy weather scent. I don't know why I came to chose this violet-iris-powder lovely blend as my rainy-day companion, but I happen to love rainy days more than sunny days (especially the fresh spring and fall rains that are interspersed with shy sun-rays now and then), so I cherish the fragrance.
And the bottle, to die for!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I love the smell of Meteorites, and since they discontinued the Meteorites fragrance, I knew Apres l'Ondee was the closest scent. Well, I'm disappointed to say the least. Beautiful, yes, however, the scent does not last more than 30 minutes. The price point is just too high for it to vanish so quickly. No way, no how would I repurchase. Complete waste of money.

on 5/9/2012 12:51:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Certain scents are difficult to explain but easily inspire the adjectives "breathtaking" and "heartbreaking." Aprs L'Onde is one of these scents. Gaia, the Non-Blonde describes smelling Aprs L'Onde in parfum "like entering a dream. It can be familiar, like a memory you can't quite place but you know you've been there, maybe in your subconsciousness."

Like any other art form, at its finest perfume can convey a distinct idea or emotion. The more complex the idea, the more moving the artwork. Aprs L'Onde means "after the rain shower," and between the floral, herbal, earthy, and watery notes, it literally translates as a garden after the rain. Yet there is something more to this scent, that inspires consistently more romantic reviews. At its debut, La Libert said it had "something of the melancholy of a poet's thoughts." (Monsieur Guerlain). Turin's review is also full of dark metaphors, describing the base accord as a "funeral", but for the fact that "Guerlain suffuses the whole thing with optimistic sunlight by using, as in so many of their classic fragrances, a touch of what a chef would call bouquet de Provence: thyme, rosemary, sage. This discreet hint of earthly pleasures is what makes Aprs L'Onde smile through its tears."

Aprs L'Onde does smile through its tears, for the scent of the earth following the rain parallels a feeling of calm after the passing of grief. The sadness behind Aprs L'Onde makes the beautiful notes all the more real, precious, and poignent. This scent brings you deep within your own reflections. It is undoubtably one of the greatest perfumes ever made.

on 12/14/2011 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the only fragrance I've met that legitimately breaks my heart; it's also--to date--the only fragrance that has made me feel ravished at the first sniff. Is it stupid to be almost moved to tears by a smell? Apres L'Ondee is pure beauty: damp violets, delicate, transparent, a trifle melancholy. It's like Monet or Debussy for your nose (stealing the latter comparison from Luca Turin because it's apt).

It's also fleeting. Only the EdT is in production, and even that is hard to find. Plus, the smell vanishes within half an hour of (generous) application. That's why it breaks my heart. It's the most beautiful perfume I have ever smelled in my life. Not the greatest, not the most interesting or complex, just the most beautiful. And I can't afford it, because even if I did shell out the cash for a whole bottle, it would vanish in no time. I can't justify it :( If you have bottomless pockets, then I congratulate you; buy gallons of this stuff and go swimming, because that's what it'll take.

Guerlain--bring back the parfum, if you have any mercy!

Popular Fragrances