Ulta Lipstick

Ulta Lipstick

3.5

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Some of the colors in this line are very pretty. This lipstick is also gluten free to less than 20 ppm--Ulta sent me an email that said so. However, this isn't moisturizing, and it's a little bit drying. You can wear it for a day or two, and then you would have to switch to something more emollient. I would basically avoid the Weightless line, and stick to the basic Ulta lipsticks and Nude line.

Ulta has two for one sales, frequently. On sale, this a $4 lipstick, and it's gluten-free. It can't be the only lipstick you own, because it's not really emollient enough, but it might be a nice one to have in the rotation, and this is the cheapest gluten-safe lipstick on the market. (I have several. They're the second lipstick in the cabinet or in my purse. I'm very pleased with them.)

I wear Sweet Mocha from the Nudes line, almost every day. It's a gorgeous, professional color.

Some varieties are made in China. Those are the most drying. The ones made in Canada (it says so on the tube) are significantly better and less drying. Look for the ones made in Canada.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I've been trying an awful lot of lipsticks lately, and many HE brands and some drugstore. I am glad I gave these Ulta Mattes and Cremes a try. I like the no scent or taste aspect, and the ones I am referring to are made in Canada. The colors are well chosen and classic and I have found a number of colors that I really love. These are more moisturizing than Mac, and last very well. I like a slightly greasy waxy type lipstick, and these are just that. They are ridiculously cheap on sale and the containers are not junky looking like drugstore lipsticks. I hope they don't discontinue this formula...it's just great lipstick, imo.

Pink Sunset 241= MLbB type shade (possible dupe of chanel Mademoiselle)
Chili Pepper 203=color dupe for Julie Hewett Rouge Coco

To Read all 61 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Worst lipstick ever. The shades don't come through well and always seem to have a purple hue that looks washed out. I got the lipstick library and not one color impresses me. Plus it is drying and tastes metallic. Never again. I ordered to get free shipping with shampoo and now I've learned my lesson.

on 11/7/2015 9:13:00 PM

I keep on receiving these lipsticks in the promotional " buy this and get this free" ads. I hate this lipstick. I hate most of Ulta's stuff, anyway. But back to the lipstick. I have around three of these tubes and I never use them because they aren't worth the trouble an time needed to keep fixing them. First of all, the colors are really nice. I like the colors, they are bright and interesting. What I don't like is the huge smear that happens as soon as you put the lipstick on. I swear, you breath too hard and the lipstick smears all over your face. And it is almost assured that the lipstick won't stay on your face, either. It fades faster than rainbow as soon as you get too close. Anyway, this lipstick is not a good idea for regular use. If you want to be a zombie for Halloween this brand is perfect. Just put the lipstick on and sigh a couople of times. It should spread in no time!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought these when they were on sale, 3 for $9.00. Great deal, since they retail for $8.00 a piece. Well..not so much, imo..I got these in the shades Smoky Quartz, Berry Pretty, and Sangria. Smoky Quartz looks like I slathered a light oil on my lips with a touch of silver glitter. Where is the pigmentation..? I realize and expected Smoky Quartz to be a lighter shade, but I swiped a bunch of times and built absolutely no color at all. It just looked like a glittery oil on my lips..? (I am NC15-NC20, for reference). Berry Pretty I thought would have better luck with, but it was the same, I barely noticed anything at all. I swiped this one a bunch of times and got no color really to speak of. Had I not known myself I just applied lipstick, I never would guess I had any lipstick on!! All I felt was a globby product on my lips. I had hopes for Sangria, I mean, c'mon, a wine shade..? Nope, even it had hardly any pigmentation to speak of. All of these just had me swiping like crazy in hopes of pigmentation and just getting a gloppy feeling on my lips. I would have given these 1 star but they do feel nice on the lips, even though they give no color. I suppose they might be nice for a moisturizing aspect and sheer wash of hardly any color, but if I paid the full $8.00 a piece for these, I would have been really disappointed. I might still take these back, they were that disappointing (the problems of ordering online is you can't swatch the products). There are better balm-type of products out there (which to me, that is what these remind me of), for better pricing and that perform better. I would say pass on these. If you use them and love them, great! Glad they work for somebody. But I would not recommend these. It is crazy to me that the Ulta lip butters (which usually lip butters tend to be more sheer than lipsticks) give me far more pigmentation than these lipsticks, and the Ulta lip butters are about half the price of these lipsticks. But these were just a total pass and major disappointment for me. :(

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Writing about 218, A Good Year for Wine

Picked it up on impulse because I lost another tube in a similar color. I LOVE it. Usually I have to wear lipbalm under all my lipstick because my lips are dry, but this lipstick can go on naked and last for ages. It does take two layers for full color payoff, but I like that I can tone it down if I want to. It fades to a lovely stain when it's done.

on 9/12/2014 12:51:00 AM

I got pink choclate bit of berry sand just peach all great colors but just peachy that one suck don't get it they redid all the lipstick in always get the 4$ deal they have every month or so don't buy for 8$

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

#239 "Coming Up Roses"

Medium blue pink. Though I am NC 20, it makes me look unhealthy.

on 7/2/2013 1:55:00 PM

Surprisingly a good lipstick...haha. I have the color in 240 which is a brown/berry mauve color, a "your lips but better" color, only a little darker and less pink. 240 is surprisingly really good - it smells like a jolly rancher, applies very smoothly, is very matte but doesn't dry out your lips, and stays on all day with a good lipliner. I'm really impressed! I can't speak for other colors/finishes but the mattes in the Ulta collection are really nice and I'll probably buy some more.

on 6/15/2013 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My review is for Pink Chocolate: I love this shade and the name too! When I first apply the color, it smells like a yummy candy grape flavor. The smell quickly disappears and is non-offensive. The texture is matte and creamy too (for a matte lipstick). I was concerned it would be greasy or slick because, if it is too slick, the color will not adhere to the inner part of my bottom lip. The color (like strawberry milk with a little chocolate) applies pinky-brown, mauve-berry on my lips, and it makes my teeth look whiter too.
My lips are already naturally pigmented, so the color might look a lighter pink on you have a pale pucker. :)
I got my lipstick on sale for 4 dollars, so be sure to snag one up during one of Ulta's great sales.