Ellis Faas Skin Veil

Ellis Faas Skin Veil

AQUA, TRIETHYLHEXANOIN, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, DIMETHICONE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, PHYTOSTERYL/OCTYLDODECYL LAUROYL GLUTAMATE, PEG-400, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DIMETHICONE/PEG-10/15 CROSSPOLYMER, GLYCERIN, SODIUM CITRATE, BARIUM SULFATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, DEXTRIN PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, STEARIC ACID, IRON OXIDES (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499).

Ellis Faas Skin Veil is a great foundation. I was recommended to try it as I wanted a foundation that was hydrating and glowy, and this definitely fits the bill. The formula is very thick and creamy, so a small amount goes a long way. It feels similar to how a night cream feels! However I find that even on my combo skin, it doesn’t feel heavy or clog my pores. I find it applies best with a brush, and gives a medium-full coverage. This gives my skin a flawless finish. It still somehow manages to look like skin. It wears well and doesn’t fade, seperate or transfer throughout the day. I can get around 10 hours wear from this, before I start to look a bit too shiny and would need to touch up with powder. However, 10 hours is great wear time in my opinion! I also find it looks great on top of MAC Strobe Cream, and my other products apply easily on top of it. This foundation is expensive ($113AUD) but a great investment.

on 8/17/2018 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Okay first of all I really do have to commend Ellis Faas on their super, excellent customer service. I've been dying to try out this foundation not only because Wayne raved about it but because it doesn't really seem to be very well known or used. That could be because of the hefty price tag or because Ellis Faas just doesn't seem to be well known to most people. Anyways, I emailed Peter of Ellis Faas asking if I could try out some samples and he sent 6,7,8 and 9 AND a milky lip color sample. Okay this impressed me for reasons because

1. I live in Malaysia, a country in South East Asia. They have basically shipped it halfway across the world from Netherlands at NO CHARGE.

2. How nice of them to send a couple of shades(although some too dark, but STILL) AND add in a lip colour :D

Now on to the foundation review S06 is a PERFECT match for me. Sorry for the capitalization but I just can't stress how hard it is to find a good match. If you're an NC40 or a Barcelona in Nars this is a really good match. A word of warning though it's not very yellow toned but for me, it's fine. I'm not Super yellow toned to begin with anyways.

It's creamy but literally melts on to your skin. Best applied with fingers.

And also it goes on a tingey bit pinkish when first applied but after awhile it just molds into your skintone.

**Also the sample size is about day's use, can be stretched to 2 but it's enough for full coverage.

I'd really like to purchase this because despite the hefty price tag. I genuinely believe it's worth it. :)

on 11/20/2017 7:41:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really don't see what all the rave reviews are about with this foundation. I have mature 60+ skin dry skin that is in decent shape.

I like the creamy consistency of this foundation. It goes on nicely and blends in with the skin. I did get a great match using the 102 for my NW 15 coloring.

Reviewers say it looks natural and like nothing on the skin - absolutely, cause it covers like nothing on the skin. I find using a brush gives a tad more coverage but the foundation neither gives me a glow or lasts halfway through the work day.

I'm going to try this foundation with some different primers to see if it performs any better. But my initial thoughts are "meh" doesn't do it for me.

on 9/13/2017 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I absolutely love this foundation. It's the foundation I use all days that I wear makeup. It is dewy, super natural, pretty much undetectable and buildable. I have pretty normal skin (neither oily nor dry) and I don't feel it's super long lasting but I don't use primer, powder or setting spray. The only reason I still look for other foundations is to find something with fuller coverage and that lasts a bit longer, but I can tell you I have looked everywhere and have yet to find it. Foundations that claim to be what I'm looking for tend to either be matte, very unforgiving when it comes to texture, super thick or heavy feeling on the skin. For example, I heard Born This Way was full coverage, very long-lasting, dewy and super natural but it looked terrible on me. I only use cruelty free products so I suspect that if that weren't a factor foundations like Chanel or Giorgio Armani might fit the bill. Still looking for my holy grail for when I want to look flawless but this foundation is LOVELY for an everyday super natural look and I wear it out at night too and it looks great. I might just try building up the foundation and researching primers and setting sprays to get the effect I'm looking for. Also, for those worried about the packaging, I bought the regular pump bottle of this foundation and it works perfectly fine.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Why is this so pink? Good thing I didn't buy it, getting samples saved me from looking like Peppa Pig. I'm very yellow based, and this foundation is not

on 5/1/2017 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a beautiful foundation, its creamy and hydrating, making your skin look fresh and healthy. It is sheer to light coverage, and it evens out skin tone, blurs pores and add plump. The sad thing is...the colour selection is quite poor, there is nothing for NC15-20 range, the closest would be their lightest shade 01, which is more like nc10.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I had this foundation on the back burner for a couple of years now. It reminded me a lot of Guerlain's original formula Lingerie de Peau, which was my all time favorite foundation. Guerlain reformulated it in late 2016 and the the end result was nothing like the original so I invested in the $90 bottle of Ellis's Skin Veil. The coverage is a bit more than Guerlains Lingerie de Peau original formula, but still beautiful and looks like perfected skin. When I say there is a glow it's not the glow that is replicated over and over in mainstream foundations like Nars Sheer Glow. It's just a truly gorgeous and healthy glow. Some will want to use concealer with this foundation if you have any areas that are more challenging like under the eyes, or a bad breakout. It does a great job of covering mild redness. I detect no Fragrance and it wears all day and into the evening on my normal to dry skin type.

on 11/29/2016 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I wanted to love this foundation, as it gets talked up a lot on u tube, but fortunately for me, it did nothing for my skin, and is over priced in my opinion.
Whilst it did give a lovely healthy skin look, it was too light in coverage, and only stayed on a few hours. I found it almost identical to chanel's Lift Lumiere on me,( another over priced foundation.)
There are so many great foundations that give a beautiful skin finish, for half the price.
I wouldn't purchase, even if it was half the price.

on 8/21/2016 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have used NARS Sheer Glow foundation for years and started to get itchy feet and wanted to try something new. After lots of short lived uses of other brands I found Ellis Faas. Originally I had a little sample pot and just dotted it on my skin before heading out. I got SO many compliments about my skin. I didn't have concealer, primer, setting powder- just this foundation and a little bit of mascara. It lasted ALL day.. my skin was dewy, glowing, and flawless. It evened my skin tone perfectly and the coverage was very high. I will always go back to this foundation. It is very expensive, but if you're after a great foundation that works you'll definitely find it with this product!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a high-end, beautifully crafted product from a brand that I really love conceptually. (I love their aesthetic and branding. The website contains quirky descriptions and unconventional how-to videos. I love that their products are "only tested on super models" and therefore not tested on un-consenting animals.) The foundation itself is definitely expensive, but as with several other similarly priced products I continue to repurchase, I believe the quality and presentation of the product is worth paying more for.

The coverage is light but buildable. On a daily basis, to work or for errands, I use Chatecaille's Just Skin tinted moisturizer and concealer as my coverage; so, I am used to and partial to products that impart lighter or more natural finishes. I have been experimenting with using this product in a variety of ways.

During the day, after I apply a light serum-like sunscreen or gel moisturizer, and wait for it to dry; I then apply illuminating primer. After that has dried and set, I use my fingers to distribute dots of Skin Veil around the areas of my face that I want coverage. I wait several moments, and then use my beauty blender to buff it into the skin and even the coverage. I repeat this step twice until I achieve my desired coverage. The results with this method are very good. The Skin Veil functions very well with varying combinations of products, and is quite malleable.

I have also tested this foundation on its own, simply over moisturizer or bare skin; the result is natural and light coverage. The longevity is okay, but with primer and setting spray this product performs infinitely better for me. I do not think Skin Veil imparts a dewy finish on its own (based on its relation to my skin type, which is fine and normal to dry), but it can work with other products to achieve a soft, natural-looking glow.

Comparable products I have tested or used:
(There are many more foundations I have tested, but those, off the top of my head, felt most relevant for comparison.)

Koh Gen Do Aqua foundation: Good, but more drying than Skin Veil. Does not last as long or play as nicely with other products.
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk: The lightest shade is too dark and oxidized on my skin, and the product does not allow my skin to breathe. Does provide flawless-looking finish, and good longevity.
Chantecaille Future Skin: Felt too heavy and did not last on my skin. Comparable to Skin Veil in its natural finish and buildable coverage, and quality ingredients. Simply could not get this to work well with my other products.
MUFE Ultra HD Foundation: I've seen others describe this as comparable, but I would disagree. Found this to be more drying, less dewy, and less natural looking.

Overall, this is the best foundation I have tried in this class and category of foundations. That is, foundations with natural coverage that work well in achieving a glowy and naturally flawless look. I am not completely sold on it currently, because while this is good, I do believe I may find something better for my skin. Because I have been testing varying primers and a new setting spray, I am unsure whether or not this is causing cosmetic acne. I do have some new blemishes on my skin, but cannot attribute them to this foundation specifically. I can say that this does not cause contact dermatitis unlike some foundations and sunscreens that do so instantaneously. I will update after several months of more regular usage.

PS: You can contact Ellis Faas by using their e-mail provided on the website, and they will send you a complimentary sample in varying shades of Skin Veil. They took a while to receive, but it was worth it to test shades.