Ellis Faas Skin Veil

Ellis Faas Skin Veil

4.1

AQUA, TRIETHYLHEXANOIN, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, DIMETHICONE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, PHYTOSTERYL/OCTYLDODECYL LAUROYL GLUTAMATE, PEG-400, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DIMETHICONE/PEG-10/15 CROSSPOLYMER, GLYCERIN, SODIUM CITRATE, BARIUM SULFATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, DEXTRIN PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, STEARIC ACID, IRON OXIDES (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a high-end, beautifully crafted product from a brand that I really love conceptually. (I love their aesthetic and branding. The website contains quirky descriptions and unconventional how-to videos. I love that their products are "only tested on super models" and therefore not tested on un-consenting animals.) The foundation itself is definitely expensive, but as with several other similarly priced products I continue to repurchase, I believe the quality and presentation of the product is worth paying more for.

The coverage is light but buildable. On a daily basis, to work or for errands, I use Chatecaille's Just Skin tinted moisturizer and concealer as my coverage; so, I am used to and partial to products that impart lighter or more natural finishes. I have been experimenting with using this product in a variety of ways.

During the day, after I apply a light serum-like sunscreen or gel moisturizer, and wait for it to dry; I then apply illuminating primer. After that has dried and set, I use my fingers to distribute dots of Skin Veil around the areas of my face that I want coverage. I wait several moments, and then use my beauty blender to buff it into the skin and even the coverage. I repeat this step twice until I achieve my desired coverage. The results with this method are very good. The Skin Veil functions very well with varying combinations of products, and is quite malleable.

I have also tested this foundation on its own, simply over moisturizer or bare skin; the result is natural and light coverage. The longevity is okay, but with primer and setting spray this product performs infinitely better for me. I do not think Skin Veil imparts a dewy finish on its own (based on its relation to my skin type, which is fine and normal to dry), but it can work with other products to achieve a soft, natural-looking glow.

Comparable products I have tested or used:
(There are many more foundations I have tested, but those, off the top of my head, felt most relevant for comparison.)

Koh Gen Do Aqua foundation: Good, but more drying than Skin Veil. Does not last as long or play as nicely with other products.
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk: The lightest shade is too dark and oxidized on my skin, and the product does not allow my skin to breathe. Does provide flawless-looking finish, and good longevity.
Chantecaille Future Skin: Felt too heavy and did not last on my skin. Comparable to Skin Veil in its natural finish and buildable coverage, and quality ingredients. Simply could not get this to work well with my other products.
MUFE Ultra HD Foundation: I've seen others describe this as comparable, but I would disagree. Found this to be more drying, less dewy, and less natural looking.

Overall, this is the best foundation I have tried in this class and category of foundations. That is, foundations with natural coverage that work well in achieving a glowy and naturally flawless look. I am not completely sold on it currently, because while this is good, I do believe I may find something better for my skin. Because I have been testing varying primers and a new setting spray, I am unsure whether or not this is causing cosmetic acne. I do have some new blemishes on my skin, but cannot attribute them to this foundation specifically. I can say that this does not cause contact dermatitis unlike some foundations and sunscreens that do so instantaneously. I will update after several months of more regular usage.

PS: You can contact Ellis Faas by using their e-mail provided on the website, and they will send you a complimentary sample in varying shades of Skin Veil. They took a while to receive, but it was worth it to test shades.

on 5/24/2016 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had some little red spots on my chin, and this product was recommended. I had high hopes for it, given the mostly favorable reviews, but discourage anyone who wants decent coverage and not to break out from a product from buying. Today I went to try other foundations at Sephora. The SA asked what had happened, based on the allergic reaction on my chin. The dr. had prescribed medicine for perioral dermatitis for this same thing. Not only is the medicine failing to work, but the spots are spreading. The only change in my skincare/makeup routine? Ellis Faas Skin Veil for the past couple weeks. Normally I don't break out, and have never owned foundation. So maybe my expectations were unrealistic? Anyhow, I'm stopping using this product (thankfully had samples), hoping the spots will go away. And the coverage, while providing luminosity, is minimal. My skin is normal to dry. The color S102 was a good match for my pale with olive undertones skin.

To Read all 66 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/17/2016 5:03:00 AM

I honestly think that product will work better on my skin if I live in a dry and four seasons climate. I've gone through about 1/2 a tube of Ellis Faas skin veil and never had the urge of using it, it never got me excited to put on every morning (if you know what I mean). For a humid tropical weather, their formula is very oily. After an hour of wearing it (and set it with finishing powder of course), I have blotches on my T zone area. For under eyes and cheeks, it works fine. Please try their concealer instead.. It is so so so so so much better!! I first bought this product in MECCA Cosmetica in Melbourne Australia. Since then I have repurchased them via their official website and their customer service is really good! If you live in Australia or other places that have a drier weather and you have dry skin, this would be perfect for you I reckon.

on 3/17/2016 2:21:00 AM

Love this foundation but it runs out quickly (thicker consistency so doesn't spread as much and so you use more..but feels great on dry skin). Thanks to Wayne Goss for introducing this gem. However, still trying to find something with a lower price point.

on 2/12/2016 10:36:00 AM

I think this foundation was worth the money.

It is a beautiful glowy foundation that looks like your natural skin but healthier. It's a light coverage so you need to top up areas that need more coverage.

Only get the foundation if you are looking for something natural but better. I wear it on "no makeup makeup days" to make my skin look amazing but look like I'm not even wearing anything. There's lot of claims that foundations look like skin but this is the only one I've found that really does. Using a beauty blender it really does melt into the skin.

I'm always going to repurchase this for that reason because I think it's unique.

on 1/4/2016 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This product performs more like a tinted moisturiser than a foundation, and for the price, it's way too expensive for that. Unless you have very dry skin, you will probably find this to be way too dewy / oily looking.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

Tried out samples sent upon request from the Netherlands. They generously sent me the entire range of their foundations, from colors 201 (lightest) up to 208 (very dark), Nice to see that all ethnicities are covered in this rainbow of colors. Good for Ellis Faas!

Holy grail foundation for me! I'm getting compliments from strangers on my skin- me, who suffered horribly from acne as a teenager, in my 20s and again in my 60s with rosacea! I can't believe it!

PERFECT MATCH AT LAST: The even numbers are supposed to be yellow-based, and the odd numbers are supposed to be pink-based. So 203 is supposed to be pink- rather than yellow-toned, but it blended perfectly with my olive skin color- go figure! I have never had such a perfect match in my life! I can brush it on the morning in a few strokes of their lovely painterly brush, and I am good to go in record time.

COVERAGE It provides light to medium coverage, and effectively veils, rather than completely obliterating freckles, scars. It does a great job of veiling redness (rosacea) and minimizing the large pores (still somewhat oily in my 60s) on my nose. Everyone except models has slight imperfections, and IMHO it really looks un-natural to mask everything in the search for perfection, so I`am perfectly happy with the degree of veil/coverage it provides.

You can increase the coverage by dabbing on a little extra over blemishes (brown spots, rosacea, postacne scars). It is very forgiving if you want to add an extra layer or two a bit later. Have used it as an multitasking undereye concealer sometimes, if in a rush in the morning, or feeling lazy on a weekend.

LIKE A SECOND SKIN: If the color matches for you, you can wear this in perfect confidence that the foundation is undetectable, and that people will think your skin looks like this naturally :))) See unsolicited compliments above- I still can't believe it!!

RECOMMENDED FOR: perfect for dry or normal skin. Fine also, even if you have a moderately oily T zone like me, you can manage either with a blotting sheet ( Boscia) or a primer (e g Paula's Oil controller or Two Faced tinted primer). It mixes very compatibly, no balling or flaking.
In summary, I think this foundation is very suitable for dry to normal, and normal to moderately oily skin, because I am dry on the cheeks but moderately oily in the T zone, even in the winter. It has a dewy not greasy finish. BUT people with generally oily or very oily skins should stay away.

GOOD FOR ACNE-PRONE OR VERY SENSTIVE SKIN: Since my skin is still very reactive, has severe and unexpected allergies, and since my pores get clogged at the drop of a hat, I wanted to wear it a few weeks on a skin patch on ONE SIDE of my face to see if it caused any problems.
UPDATE: The good news is that, after 2 months of use, it does NOT break out my skin, nor did it cause delayed allergic reactions.

VERY LONG LASTING: lasts a good 10 hours, which is longer than most working days. For comparison, it lasts a few hours longer than Koh Gen Do moisture foundation. NevertheIess, I would probably reapply it again, if I were going out to a formal event in the evening, or at least touch up in targetted regions, such as my T zone.

THE BRUSH IS PERFECT: I have one brush type which is soft, very gentle, and longish (when I bought the 203 shade off the Internet) which I have been using it for months, no splaying. Recently, I bought another brush from the Ellis Faas website directly (2015) and it was noticeably shorter and stiffer- haven't used that one much yet.

PRICE: Expensive but worth it. The pen comes with a refill, and I plan to continue using the beautiful brush even when I finish with the refill. I am so happy with this foundation that I bought a bottle, lovely frosted elegant pump, for everyday use, and am using the brush pen only to apply this foundation and also for travel.
I use it every day, but in the summer I brush (with the Ellis Faas brush) Paula's Choice Sheer Mat Foundation in shade 3 on top to provide SPF 30 sunscreen protection (Ellis Faas no longer contains sunscreen).

on 9/14/2015 4:35:00 AM

Wow - a great foundation and unlike any others I've tried for my combination skin. Light to medium coverage that lasts around 4-5 hours. I found though, that my t-zone gets very oily if I don't touch up. A bit on the pricey side. A lovely foundation but I am still on the search for the Holy Grail of foundations.

Divine—*Divine* on my ageing oily-combo skin.

When I tested it on my hand I thought, "Oh no: too thick and creamy for me. But took a sample home and wore it out and LO! The best foundation I've ever had. I was so surprised.

I wear the Hourglass Mineral Primer underneath, and it sticks to me just fine without a cloying
I used to love Armani Lasting Silk. But this has kicked it off the pedestal for good.

Doesn't cling to and make a feature of the flaky skin around my nose. That's a first.

Fantastic that they don't test on animals. I've never had a really top-quality foundation that did this before either.

Yes, it's expensive. But I cannot live without it.

on 8/22/2015 4:01:00 AM

I find myself as foundation junkie who always try different range foundation from drugstore to high brand.

Personally, when wayne introduced ellisfass as his holy grail foundation, i was really interested and want to give it a try. He was right!

Here is my review:
the consistency : it was creamy and moisturizer your skin! ( Note : if you find it's not moist enough, you can use moisturizer underneath this foundation)

Performance : this is a dewy foundation which suits on normal to dry, dry to dry. People with oily skin will find it is too oily. But, if you can prepare your skin with matte primer/oil controlling to the oily area, it probably will stay matte.

the lasting power : hmm, i am not sure about how long this foundation stays! Because everyone has different experience, but i find it tend to wear off a bit after a few hour applying about 5-6 hours. ( Note : some people say, using primer will be able to help the lasting power of foundation, so back to the experience again)

The colour range : please ellisfass, you need to add some range colour, because your product is one of AMAZING foundation!
I use S106 for reference i am NC 35-40. I find the colour don't match on my yellow to red skin. After apllication it looked darker to more red skin than my neck and shoulder which i don't like. makeupforever ultra hd is now launching their new product and add some new range. Ellisfaas must be considered the colour range, please!

Packaging : there are different sizes, you will be able to buy the big size in bottle and the small size in bullet packaging so it suits for travelling.

Price : it is overpriced for student budget. i bought in netherlands less more at €62 for the big size and the small size less more at €40.

Overall : i am immpresed with this foundation, but i am not sure to buy it again because of the range colour.