Ellis Faas Skin Veil

Ellis Faas Skin Veil

4.1

AQUA, TRIETHYLHEXANOIN, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, DIMETHICONE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, PHYTOSTERYL/OCTYLDODECYL LAUROYL GLUTAMATE, PEG-400, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DIMETHICONE/PEG-10/15 CROSSPOLYMER, GLYCERIN, SODIUM CITRATE, BARIUM SULFATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, HYDROGENATED LECITHIN, DEXTRIN PALMITATE, TOCOPHEROL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, STEARIC ACID, IRON OXIDES (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499).

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I had this foundation on the back burner for a couple of years now. It reminded me a lot of Guerlain's original formula Lingerie de Peau, which was my all time favorite foundation. Guerlain reformulated it in late 2016 and the the end result was nothing like the original so I invested in the $90 bottle of Ellis's Skin Veil. The coverage is a bit more than Guerlains Lingerie de Peau original formula, but still beautiful and looks like perfected skin. When I say there is a glow it's not the glow that is replicated over and over in mainstream foundations like Nars Sheer Glow. It's just a truly gorgeous and healthy glow. Some will want to use concealer with this foundation if you have any areas that are more challenging like under the eyes, or a bad breakout. It does a great job of covering mild redness. I detect no Fragrance and it wears all day and into the evening on my normal to dry skin type.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I actually like the coverage of this foundation and the way it looks on mature skin. I like that it is fragrance free and almost medium coverage. I wanted to LOVE this but my one and only deal breaking problem besides the high price is inability to find a remotely close match for my light skin tone.

101L is an extremely fair and neutral leaning yellow/gray based color. I looked sick and sallow almost ashen when I put it on. (I often have no problem wearing the lightest shade in a foundation line).

I thought 102 would solve the problem. Not so. It's at least 2 shades darker than 101 and peachy. Besides being too dark it doesn't look natural on me. 103 is way too dark for me. 104 is super yellow and perhaps for the right medium skin tone it would be the first color in the series that actually matches a real skin color.

The first 3 just do not in my opinion match your average caucasian skintone. If you can find a match you may very well like this foundaton. They need to expand the color range on the light end of the spectrum to justify the high price.

On a side note I also got the concealer in shade 202 and it doesn't even match the foundation. Revamp the shade range Ellis Faas. I could have loved this.

on 11/29/2016 6:39:00 AM

I wanted to love this foundation, as it gets talked up a lot on u tube, but fortunately for me, it did nothing for my skin, and is over priced in my opinion.
Whilst it did give a lovely healthy skin look, it was too light in coverage, and only stayed on a few hours. I found it almost identical to chanel's Lift Lumiere on me,( another over priced foundation.)
There are so many great foundations that give a beautiful skin finish, for half the price.
I wouldn't purchase, even if it was half the price.

on 10/5/2016 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was fitted for this foundation and rather than remove it, we finished the face and left it on for the day. When I was at a meeting with a bunch of film/tv makeup artists later, several asked me what foundation I was wearing because my skin looked so great.

Not my makeup. My face, my skin! That's a great foundation.

on 8/21/2016 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have used NARS Sheer Glow foundation for years and started to get itchy feet and wanted to try something new. After lots of short lived uses of other brands I found Ellis Faas. Originally I had a little sample pot and just dotted it on my skin before heading out. I got SO many compliments about my skin. I didn't have concealer, primer, setting powder- just this foundation and a little bit of mascara. It lasted ALL day.. my skin was dewy, glowing, and flawless. It evened my skin tone perfectly and the coverage was very high. I will always go back to this foundation. It is very expensive, but if you're after a great foundation that works you'll definitely find it with this product!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a high-end, beautifully crafted product from a brand that I really love conceptually. (I love their aesthetic and branding. The website contains quirky descriptions and unconventional how-to videos. I love that their products are "only tested on super models" and therefore not tested on un-consenting animals.) The foundation itself is definitely expensive, but as with several other similarly priced products I continue to repurchase, I believe the quality and presentation of the product is worth paying more for.

The coverage is light but buildable. On a daily basis, to work or for errands, I use Chatecaille's Just Skin tinted moisturizer and concealer as my coverage; so, I am used to and partial to products that impart lighter or more natural finishes. I have been experimenting with using this product in a variety of ways.

During the day, after I apply a light serum-like sunscreen or gel moisturizer, and wait for it to dry; I then apply illuminating primer. After that has dried and set, I use my fingers to distribute dots of Skin Veil around the areas of my face that I want coverage. I wait several moments, and then use my beauty blender to buff it into the skin and even the coverage. I repeat this step twice until I achieve my desired coverage. The results with this method are very good. The Skin Veil functions very well with varying combinations of products, and is quite malleable.

I have also tested this foundation on its own, simply over moisturizer or bare skin; the result is natural and light coverage. The longevity is okay, but with primer and setting spray this product performs infinitely better for me. I do not think Skin Veil imparts a dewy finish on its own (based on its relation to my skin type, which is fine and normal to dry), but it can work with other products to achieve a soft, natural-looking glow.

Comparable products I have tested or used:
(There are many more foundations I have tested, but those, off the top of my head, felt most relevant for comparison.)

Koh Gen Do Aqua foundation: Good, but more drying than Skin Veil. Does not last as long or play as nicely with other products.
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk: The lightest shade is too dark and oxidized on my skin, and the product does not allow my skin to breathe. Does provide flawless-looking finish, and good longevity.
Chantecaille Future Skin: Felt too heavy and did not last on my skin. Comparable to Skin Veil in its natural finish and buildable coverage, and quality ingredients. Simply could not get this to work well with my other products.
MUFE Ultra HD Foundation: I've seen others describe this as comparable, but I would disagree. Found this to be more drying, less dewy, and less natural looking.

Overall, this is the best foundation I have tried in this class and category of foundations. That is, foundations with natural coverage that work well in achieving a glowy and naturally flawless look. I am not completely sold on it currently, because while this is good, I do believe I may find something better for my skin. Because I have been testing varying primers and a new setting spray, I am unsure whether or not this is causing cosmetic acne. I do have some new blemishes on my skin, but cannot attribute them to this foundation specifically. I can say that this does not cause contact dermatitis unlike some foundations and sunscreens that do so instantaneously. I will update after several months of more regular usage.

PS: You can contact Ellis Faas by using their e-mail provided on the website, and they will send you a complimentary sample in varying shades of Skin Veil. They took a while to receive, but it was worth it to test shades.

on 5/24/2016 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had some little red spots on my chin, and this product was recommended. I had high hopes for it, given the mostly favorable reviews, but discourage anyone who wants decent coverage and not to break out from a product from buying. Today I went to try other foundations at Sephora. The SA asked what had happened, based on the allergic reaction on my chin. The dr. had prescribed medicine for perioral dermatitis for this same thing. Not only is the medicine failing to work, but the spots are spreading. The only change in my skincare/makeup routine? Ellis Faas Skin Veil for the past couple weeks. Normally I don't break out, and have never owned foundation. So maybe my expectations were unrealistic? Anyhow, I'm stopping using this product (thankfully had samples), hoping the spots will go away. And the coverage, while providing luminosity, is minimal. My skin is normal to dry. The color S102 was a good match for my pale with olive undertones skin.

on 5/17/2016 5:03:00 AM

I honestly think that product will work better on my skin if I live in a dry and four seasons climate. I've gone through about 1/2 a tube of Ellis Faas skin veil and never had the urge of using it, it never got me excited to put on every morning (if you know what I mean). For a humid tropical weather, their formula is very oily. After an hour of wearing it (and set it with finishing powder of course), I have blotches on my T zone area. For under eyes and cheeks, it works fine. Please try their concealer instead.. It is so so so so so much better!! I first bought this product in MECCA Cosmetica in Melbourne Australia. Since then I have repurchased them via their official website and their customer service is really good! If you live in Australia or other places that have a drier weather and you have dry skin, this would be perfect for you I reckon.

on 3/17/2016 2:21:00 AM

Love this foundation but it runs out quickly (thicker consistency so doesn't spread as much and so you use more..but feels great on dry skin). Thanks to Wayne Goss for introducing this gem. However, still trying to find something with a lower price point.

on 2/12/2016 10:36:00 AM

I think this foundation was worth the money.

It is a beautiful glowy foundation that looks like your natural skin but healthier. It's a light coverage so you need to top up areas that need more coverage.

Only get the foundation if you are looking for something natural but better. I wear it on "no makeup makeup days" to make my skin look amazing but look like I'm not even wearing anything. There's lot of claims that foundations look like skin but this is the only one I've found that really does. Using a beauty blender it really does melt into the skin.

I'm always going to repurchase this for that reason because I think it's unique.