Silk Naturals -Super Serum

Silk Naturals -Super Serum

3.6

Ingredients: Distilled Water, Niacinamide, Dimethyl Sulfone, Hydrolyzed Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin)Seedcake, Thermus Thermophilus Ferment (and) Glycerin, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tamarind Seed Extract, Hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, Gluconoactone and Sodium Benzoate, Green Tea, Panthenol

on 8/5/2017 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Below are my comparison reviews of the Silk Naturals magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (Vitamin C) serums. I am cross-posting this to each of the individual serum review areas:

Super Serum: Contains 3% MAP and niacinamide. Texture is a viscous fluid. Only a few drops are needed to cover the entire face and neck. The product is easily spread, which minimal pulling, although I found it better to rub hands together and pat on skin. Super Serum is fragrance-free but does have a strong niacinamide scent, which is borderline between B-vitamins and an ashtray. Ultimately I found it to be a bit too strong for my facial skin--I had signs of irritation within a couple of days of use. However, it has been great on hands when applied in the morning under sunscreen. The serum absorbs very quickly, and is a tad tacky. However, the tacky finish is quite good for layering under sunscreen, and does not create any issues of poor absorption for subsequent skin care layers. When used on face, it did not add any oilyness to my skin, and did not cause increased oil production throughout the day. If I could use this serum, I would, because it has everything I want in a Vitamin C product. Thankfully, there are other great Silk Naturals serums to choose from!

Mama's Helper: Contains 5.5% MAP. Texture is somewhat like natural aloe vera gel found in the health food store. This product needs to be spread on face very quickly because it absorbs and dries fast. The hand-rubbing and patting method did not work well. I had an immediate skin-tightening sensation when using this serum. It was uncomfortably tight, and the tightness was not relieved by putting moisturizing sunscreen over it. In fact, Mama's helper was not great for layering, and sometimes would pill, lift or flake when worn under sunscreen. On the plus side, its high MAP is great for fading sun spots and my skin was not irritated by this formula. I would consider this serum for its high MAP concentration, if I could get it to layer with my other skincare products.

Awesome Sauce: Contains 3% MAP. Has a gel texture similar to Mama's Helper. Although it has some oil in it, I found it equally skin-tightening as Mama's Helper, but with a bit less issue of dryness and product pilling / flaking. It has a strange, but natural, scent that smelled a bit like fermenting melon. It did not make me more oily or increase oil production through the day, even with my combination normal to oily skin. Even though Awesome Sauce is similar in texture to Mama's Helper, I didn't enjoy using it as much due to the strange scent. I also find the claim for dry, aging skin to be a bit strange since it wasn't great at hydrating, and the skin-tightening effect was uncomfortable. If I had to pick between the two gel-texture serums, I would probably get Mama's Helper rather than Awesome Sauce.

Facelift: Contains 3% MAP. Has a viscous fluid texture similar to Super Serum, but is a much simpler formula. Worked well patting on skin, absorbed quickly and left slight tacky finish like Super Serum. I found it to be non-irritating, and if scent is any indication, Facelift has a good dollop of skin-beneficial peptides. It worked very well under other skin care products, did not make me more oily, but also did not dry out my skin or make it tight. I really liked Facelift, and although I wish I could use Super Serum, I found Facelift to be equally easy to use while still having a good percentage of MAP.

Vitamin C Peptide: Contains 3% MAP. Has a viscous fluid texture similar to Super Serum and Facelift, and is the simplest vitamin C serum formula available at Silk Naturals. Like Facelift, application and finish was similar, and this serum was completely non-irritating, even a bit soothing. Like Super Serum and Facelift, it was great layered under sunscreen. I feel a little bad that I don't have much more to say about Vitamin C Peptide, because it is a quite charming, non-pretentious product with an effective proportion of vitamin C and peptides. I think this is a great place to start for anybody who has very sensitive skin, since its formula omits many known irritants. And of course, sometimes simpler is just better!

on 8/16/2016 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My skin is very sensitive, clog/acne prone and I also have rosecea (but fairly mild). I used this for about 2 months and it didn't give me a rash or make my face flush and I was able to purchase a sample size which is awesome! It brightened up my face and just overall made my skin look great. So those good points are the reason for the 2 stars. Unfortunately, it also broke me out in painful cysts, this serum was the only new thing I introduced into my regime. My skin did look fantastic around the cysts haha, but that just wasn't worth the damage it was doing. I stopped using the serum and I haven't gotten another one and the ones it gave me cleared right up. It also didn't do anything for my closed comdones, pores or fine lines.

I love Silk Naturals other serums (Vitamin C, Peptide and DMAE, and Awesome Sauce, so I was excited to try this. It has a very watery consistency compared to their other serums. I am so confused as to why so many people say this treated their acne. The first couple of times I used it, I immediately felt facial burning on my non-sensitive skin. Then, I realized that my complexion -- which is relatively clear (I get the occasional one or two zits, but otherwise, I have been been blessed with good skin on my face) -- was a wreck. I was broken out with zits (I currently have five) and my normally oily skin is as dry as the sahara. This surprised me, because the product said that the niacinamide treated acne, as well as flakiness and dryness. Instead, my face is plagued with blemishes and dry, flaky skin. (I RARELY have dry skin. It's quite the oil slick.) It also appears to pill a bit with my foundation, even after I have let it set, topped it with moisturizer, and let that set. I'll be going back to Vitamin C Peptide, DMAE, or Awesome Sauce.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I've used bha's and aha's for years, and they've been great to keep my skin clear and pretty even, however something was missing. This has been the missing ingredient in my skincare regimen. It is my first vitamin C serum and I am extremely pleased with it. I have acne-prone skin and so far am not having any negative reactions. I've been using the serum daily for about 3 weeks and my skintone has never looked this even before. No more splotchiness or redness, no more dullness. Words can not describe how happy I am with this serum, not to mention how affordable it is for a product that truly delivers.

on 9/10/2013 4:41:00 PM

I tried four of the Silk Naturals serums and Super Serum came out on top for me. It's a thin serum - not watery, but liquidy, if you get where I'm going. The bottle is nice enough - nothing fancy - with a pump top. I'm a "more is better kinda" gal so I use about three pumps to cover my face and down my neck. Even with that, the bottle has lasted me a couple of months.

I like that it is a stable C serum. L-AA sounds great, but I'm just not that motivated to make serum every few days. The MAP is much more stable and it seems to work quite well. OK, I'm not seeing a HUGE difference, but antioxidants like that are about preventing damage more than they are about fixing problems. That said, this serum has been evening out my skin tone and healing my blemishes. My skin loves niacinamide and it also loves the sulfur. I don't notice any smell to this at all.

I don't find it to be moisturizing at all, which is fine for my combination/oily skin. I can always moisturize over it. In the hot, humid summer air, there's no need for that.

One note of caution - niacinamide reacts to acids, which can (and does) cause flushing. I can use this with my morning BHA IF I wait a few minutes for the BHA to dry down. Wash my face, BHA, brush my teeth, get dressed, apply Super Serum. With that routine, I've had no problems at all.

I heartily recommend this serum. It's a very nice, stable, reasonably priced C serum, with added anti-oxidants and niacinamide. It even has a bit of sulfur, which can be helpful for fighting acne. I would definitely buy it again.

on 3/13/2014 5:42:00 PM

(Sigh) I really wanted to love this product! I think that Silk Naturals is a great company, and there are great ingredients in this serum, but I was still disappointed. I've used one other C product (ROC multi correxion night cream) and it gave me a really nice glow! I was surprised that I didn't get that from this product. In fact, I didn't notice really any changes at all. (I was hoping it would brighten, boost and even out my complexion). This does last the entire 3 months shelf life very well - I've had mine for 3-4 months, and I'm just finishing it now. One other tricky point is when to put it on. I've read that c serums are better for the day, but this formed a film on my face that sometimes made my dry skin a bit drier and flakier, so it wasn't always easy to just throw it on under makeup :( I am still curious to try other Silk Natural products and serums, but this just wasn't the vitamin C serum for me.

on 3/20/2013 12:44:00 PM

I am finishing up the sample of this serum which was often recommended on the skincare board.

If you read my long winded skin history below, you can see that I had my skin back on track from a worrisome bumpiness/acne-like reaction to dehydration. But, up until now, I have never had lines around my eyes and I am just turning 35. Also, my forhead is starting to show a few tiny creases and the bridge of my nose seems a bit crinkly. I wanted something beyond moisture. I got a sample of this serum and a few others for super cheap and my skin has shown a lot of improvement. I am ordering the full size as I type in another browser!

I feel like this serum makes my skin glow and calms it down so that any residual redness and puffiness is gone. I am using this and the Facelift serum together (one at night, the other at day), so it is hard to pin point which one is doing what, but my dark scars are fading and I feel like very slowly the fine lines around my eyes are getting a bit better.

I like the description of actives that are on the website since they make me feel like I am doing "something" to combat ageing and I LOVE that none of it irritates my skin in the least. I am putting my $$ where my mouth is and ordering a full size for me and a sample size for my mother in law.

My skin history: I was having issues with my skin after being acne free for about 5 years (I used to have large cysts that lasted for months and then left nasty dark scars that eventually turned into pits. I cleared my skin by researching acne.org and using green tea toner, tea tree oil, burts bees radiance serum (discontinued), purpose redness reducing lotion spf 30 (discontinued) and slept with calamine lotion mask (pink stuff) at night. It took several months, but the calamine lotion especially really helped to reduce the cysts. I would highly recommend.). Recently, was having skin colored bumps, not really fully blown acne, but they were persistent and made my skin quality look terrible. So, I tried the list of stuff that worked before and it was not quite working. I had added several new products since my old stuff was discontinued and everything new did not work, made it worse, or only worked for a day or two. Finally, I just put some of my cetaphil cream on my face one night and expected to wake up with a face that looked like pizza. Image my surprise when my face was so much better in the morning. Then I got it -- it was not acne -- my face was super dehydrated and my pores were enlarged trying to produce enough oil to hydrate my face. Coming from a background of acne and trying to reduce oil, I guess it makes sense I would not recognize dehydrated skin if it (literally) smacked me in the face. From then on, I have been using Cetaphil lotion day and night but I wanted to add something to help especially with overall firmness, the dehydration lines around my eyes, some crinkliness at the bridge of my nose, and the appearance of very fine lines in my forehead. Nothing honestly anyone would notice, except maybe around the eyes when I smile, but I have had NO lines until now and I am not happy about the change.

on 3/8/2013 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I read great things about this serum, so I decided to order it online. I was on the search for a serum that was good for acne-prone, clog-prone, sensitive-reactive skin, and this serum came highly recommended.

The packaging for this serum is great. Its made of hard plastic, so no worries about the bottle breaking if you drop it. It comes with a convenient pump; I had no trouble with the pump at all. The bottle is tinted dark blue, which is great for maintaining the longevity of the active ingredients contained in the serum.

The downfall this serum broke me out practically immediately. After my first use, I woke up the next morning with painful, red and inflamed cystic acne on my chin. I waited a few days to try it again, and sure enough within a day of using it, I broke out badly again. I know it was the serum that caused the reaction, as it was the only thing I had done differently in my routine.

Given the reviews Ive read, Im sure that this serum can work well for others, but its not for me. I will not repurchase.

I had high hopes for this serum, but as it turns out, I am allergic to it and can no longer use it.
I bought the full size, and used it twice. The first time, I didn't notice anything wrong with my face, however the following day I saw I had a strange rash on my right hand (the one I apply product with), but I had no idea what had caused it.
Fast forward to 2 days ago, I applied the serum again, and because the bottle squirts it out unevenly, some of the serum went down my arm. Lo and behold, yesterday once again I noticed the same rash had developed on my hand, and it also followed the pattern on my arm where the serum drop had traveled down my arm! Also, this time my face feels itchy and looks red, like I have a sunburn, so unfortunately it's obvious, I am allergic to this product.
Other than that, it didn't break me out and my face does feel softer...but of course I won't use it again.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Lovely serum, ultimately broke me out in those dreaded little white bumps along my forehead. It smells nutty to me, not the most pleasant of scents but not overpowering. I wanted to try this out because of the nice price, no added synthetic fragrances, and fairly minimal ingredients. I'm glad I just got the sample, I do think it's fantastic that SN offers samples on so many of their products. I wish more companies did that! Less waste if it doesn't work. I've been mixing it with my body lotion, to use it up.