MAC Marine Life [DISCONTINUED]

Marine Life [DISCONTINUED]Marine Life [DISCONTINUED]Quick FOTD with Marine Life

4.3

on 10/13/2012 3:48:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I dont usually review a lot of makeup products - i tend to think that giving an opinion on colours is really hard for me since i have a hard time visualizing how a shade might look on other peoples faces lol Basically i am not very confidant in my abilities to describe a particular colour - i am much more comfortable in the world of textures, scents and "feel" that are usually associated with skincare and fragrance :)
That being said I had to make an exception for Marine Life! I am in love with this product and if it wasnt a limited edition (really MAC?) i would buy at least a few backups (just in case i ever hit pan on this one!). Who am i kidding? I would buy a backup just to look at the beauty of this thing :)
When it comes to blush and colour in general I am usually drawn to pinks - from the softness of pastels to the intensity of neon I have pretty much every shade pink made! I am not drawn to corals or reds at all so the fact that i bought this was a surprise! Not only did i buy it but i also wore it A LOT! It makes my face light up and glow like nothing else :) At first i thought that this would be just a summer shade but it worked perfectly in the cold drab of Canadian winters as well. On tanned skin tones this will look even better i am sure but that fact luckily hasnt steered me to the tanning beds (it was close for a few days! phew!). But its been described as making me look "alive", which lets face it, is always a good thing! Once the beautiful overspray was gone the coraly shade made my cheeks glow and lit up my whole complexion! Perfection is the only way i can put it!
If i had to complain about something and get all picky then i would diss the green packaging...I know its a theme but i am not a fan of that kind of green - it reminds me of yucky things :(
Fun fact - I am a Marine Biologist so this was kind of a given purchase!

on 7/20/2011 12:46:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I missed the initial Marine Life boat because I had sworn off anything remotely coral-hued at the time To the Beach came out...but of course I later had second thoughts, and I acquired it through a swap :)

For a highlight powder, Marine Life is pretty substantially pigmented and bright; I would have called it a blush. However, it is finely milled and blends easily, leaving a pretty, soft glow. I have to use a light hand with it to avoid looking too pink, but when used with a stippling brush (or just very careful application), it works on a fair complexion. I usually blend both colors (light pink and pinky coral) together, but I have worn them separately and both are very pretty on their own.

For reference: NW5-10; NARS Siberia.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

It may be a little too late to be writing about Marine Life but I just acquired it recently through a blog sale and I can't be happier about having it added to my collection. I have to admit that I was at first a bit hesitant about it purchasing it because I wasn't sure if it was going to show up on my NC 30 skin despite seeing hundreds of swatches of it on the internet. But after seeing how pigmented it is (it shows up okay on ladies with an NC40 skintone), I instantly paid for the item and waited expectantly for it. And now I can say that I completely understand the hype that surrounds this blush. This blush is insanely pigmented and just downright lovely. I'm honestly surprised that it's touted as a highlighter because even the lighter shade shows up quite pigmented on me. The shade is absolutely divine and the pattern is adorable. I really could care less about the overspray because it's still pretty shimmery/glowy without it. I'm not sure if I should say that MAC should make more blushes like this (or more of the blush ombre) but they surely did a fantastic job with this one.

on 11/5/2010 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think I am the absolute last person in the world who bought this. I purchased mine through a blog sale a few weeks ago for only $35. Originally I was going to skip this powder, then with all the hype I decided I would buy it. When I woke up the next morning after dreaming about it all night, I was set on buying it. I was a little disappointed that it was long gone by the time I got ready to order. So plan b was to order it from Nordstroms, I went online ordered it and a few hours later they informed me that I would not be receiving this and gave me a credit. Grrrr. I then decided to give up, afterall I was going to pass on this anyway right? Ok so low and behold I found it on a blog sale and thought what the heck. After I got it I was like wow this is really pretty and I was excited to use it. The color to me is exactly how many of my blushes look. On my cheeks is resembles Mac's Fleur power, Instant chic, Nars amour, MUFE #6 creamblush, Mary Kay Citrus bloom & even a sheered out Salsarose from Mac. Not to mention the overspray did not last more than 1 application, I did not mind that since I'm not a fan of a gold glitter cheek:/. I am still mad at myself for buying this "just because". The color really isn't anything special, for me using the 2 colors alone without swirling them together is just ridiculous. My blush brush is not that tiny. I will never again, buy something for the hype! I will not repurchase even if it were permanent.

on 10/5/2010 8:54:00 AM

I just wanted to add that as a lady with NC35 colouring - this did NOTHING for me.

It doesnt really show up as a highlighter and as a blush (using the darker coral side) its not really anything special....if anything it was a little flat on my light olive skin.

I think its a nice product but its much better suited to fairer skinned ladies. The light pink side really DOES NOT show up at all....so beware of this if you are darker than me.

Just wanted to give my thoughts - dont swap your right arm/first born for this - its nice but its NOT a MUST HAVE or anything!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Still on the fence with this one. It wasn't worth what I paid for it, but that's what I get for lemming products after they've been sold out and I resort to Ebay :) The overspray is pretty but not functional, and while I do find the color beautiful and unique, its still not a standout when I wear it. It tends to look very bright on me no matter how lightly I apply it, and I've not found it easy to work with. Pretty but not worthy of HG status.

on 7/20/2010 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I really like this high-lighter a lot. Not only is this porduct unique because of its packaging, but the color is quite unique as well. I have nothing like it. This is a coral and soft pink high-lighter. I use it more as a blush than a high-lighter. The product does has a slight shimmer and has a similar consistancy to a sheertone powder. Although imposible to find now (at a reasonable price), I understand the hype.

I received this in a swap this morning and I have to say that it is better than I expected!
The previous owner had used up most of the overspray on top, and I am grateful for that as I dont think I would have liked it as much with all the glitter on top!
I use it as a blush, as I am very pale, and I apply with a MAC 188 brush.
It is a perfect, slightly shimmery, coral colour which applies very evenly. I applied it heavily, but I can apply it more sheerly.
The packaging is very pretty, as is the cute seahorse!
I think I would buy it if it was ever re-released, but I would remove most of the overspray first.

Sweet fancy Moses! This product definitely lived up to the hype for me! I passed on pre-ordering this... initially thinking it was another craptastic MAC Hi-Light powder ( ahem,I'm talking to you Dame Edna Collection!)... but boy was I ever so wrong.

Fast forward to the launch date and sadly, Marine Life became MIA at every single MAC location seemingly within the state of California :(

I should say I received this from a friend who didn't want it (too bright for her), she bought it for the sea horsey overspray. I think she expected the shimmer to go through the entire product, I am glad they didn't do that. The overspray on my Marine Life was gone by the time she gave it to me, no biggie...

The pigment of this is amazing, I find I need to apply with a light touch to get a coral/bright pink glow. So beautiful, I also paired this with Northern Light MSF over it and it was nothing short of stunning.

So happy I have this, especially since I missed out on Stereo Rose (again)...

Geez, I guess I really need to start pre-ordering things!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I really love this product. I kind of got sucked into the hype but Iím glad I did because I am so happy with this. I like to apply lightly after bronzer (key word LIGHTLY), it adds such a nice colour to my cheeks and it is perfect for summer.