Skinceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50

3.4

SPF 50 PPD 21 ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 6% Zinc Oxide and 5% Titanium Dioxide. INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water, isododecane, c-12-15 alkyl benzoate, undecane, triethylhexanoin, isohexadecane, nylon-12, caprylyl methicone, butyloctyl salicylate, phenethyl benoate, styrene/acrylates copolymer, silica, tridecane, dicaprylyl carbonate, dicaprylyl ether, talc, dimethicone/peg-10/15 crosspolymer, aluminium stearate, pentylene glycol, peg-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, alumina, polyhydroxystearic acid, phenoxyethanol, magnesium sulfate, caprylyl glycol, peg-8 laurate, disteardimonium hectorite, tocopherol propylene carbonate, artemia extract, benzoic acid, peg-9, D41547/1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Horrible white cast with any application whatsoever. SO white that i can end my review here. (returned it eventually)

This sunscreen will have to be used for my hands only. In soft artificial light it looks fine with makeup over top. (It does leave a noticeable white cast on my fair skin). However when I checked my makeup in sunlight, even with my usual foundation on top, I was horrified to see every pore on my chin emphasised with little white dots. It really is very noticeable and unattractive. And of course if you are wearing an SPF 50, you are going to be in strong daylight. I took it off immediately and went back to my current bottle of La Roche Posay. For an expensive sunscreen I expect a much more elegant finish, but maybe it's not possible to avoid such an effect with physical blocks.

To Read all 56 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My Skin: Extremely oily, large pores, redness.

My skin is extremely oily so almost any product adds shine to my skin, including "sheer" sunscreens. I usually end up not wearing any sunscreen at all.

This sunscreen is watery, light, sheer, and matte. It doesn't add any shine to my face, it actually works as a mattifying primer.

At $34 USD for 50 ml it is on the pricey side but totally worth it for people with oily/very oily skin.

Super quick review on this product:

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

The good thing about this sunscreen is that it's lightweight, fairly gentle, doesn't irritate the skin, doesn't give my already oily skin an oily sheen, and generally doesn't seem to do harm.

The not-so-good thing about this sunscreen is that it doesn't just leave a white cast -- it makes my pale skin looks like I'm getting ready to audition for the part of a ghost. It makes my face look gray. Like... terrible-looking gray. I could definitely not wear this sunscreen on its own, wow.

And the definitely not great part about it is that, well, I can't really wear this sunscreen with makeup on top, either, since makeup doesn't last well on it at all. It will be okay for a couple of hours, but then the foundation starts to separate and slide off and it just... really doesn't look good.

So it's seems to be a good sunscreen, gentle the skin, fine product, all that jazz -- but it really drops the ball when it comes to looks.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

This is the best sunscreen I've tried so far. It fits my sensitive/oily skin as it provides UV protection as well as mattifies my face so I can put light makeup over it. The small nozzle is good for dispensing an appropriate amount of product. When I bought it, the helpful lady at the counter reminded me to pat it onto my face; definitely don't rub this sunscreen in as it will leave sticky white bits! I pour a little onto my fingertips and dab it onto my face until the product is absorbed. It does leave a white cast, but you'd expect that from a sunscreen. It is slightly sticky after application so I wait about a minute before applying anything else. I wear this with a light powder on top, or with BB cream.
Only con is the price :'( Wish it were slightly less expensive, 390HKD is a lot for a 50mL bottle! Overall great sunscreen for sensitive/oily skin, especially in humid weather.

Pros-seems to have good uv protection, my dermatologist said it was a good sunblock, and no breakouts from this!

Cons-leaves a white cast, not cheap, also the packaging is not the prettiest.

I've repurchased this over and over because it's effective and doesn't aggravate acne. I try to be careful with what I use on my face, but I still won't call this a holy grail because of the white cast.

I'm a makeup lover and want my makeup to apply as beautiful and smoothly as possible. Supposedly Jlo uses this. Maybe she uses the tinted version or something? My skin is pretty light, so I don't think anyone who's tan or darker skinned could use this product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My favourite sunscreen is Skinceuticals Physical Fusion, but it's almost impossible to get in the UK, so I ordered this instead. On the plus side, it's a non-greasy, high-factor physical sunscreen that dries quickly on the skin and doesn't feel uncomfortable under make up. However, if you apply enough to get the advertised SPF50, the white cast is extreme, even on fair skin. I wear medium- to full-coverage foundation over it, which covers up the whiteness, but I could never wear this on its own or under a base with a lighter coverage. For that reason, I would choose something like Clinique City Block over this, despite the fact that it has a stickier finish. If you wear full-coverage base every day and the white cast is not an issue, this is fine, but it's a bit frustrating otherwise and I would not repurchase for that reason.

After reading great reviews here, I've decided to try this sunscreen. I almost finish my first bottle and highly recommend to anyone who lives in hot and humid weather like Asia.

The texture is a white fluid, so very easy to apply on face without the stickiness. It leaves my skin not oily nor dry, just right without the greasiness. It does leaves a light white cast on my face which is not that noticeable. However, when I applied too much on my face, it leaves residues which is pretty annoying.

In comparison to Elta MD, I would prefer this texture but I feel Elta gives a better protection. I'm afraid using too much of this to avoid having white residues on face. Instead with Elta, I would put more adequate amount.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have extremely oily, acne-prone, somewhat sensitive, fair skin that burns quickly. I also have a sensitivity to scented products and get a headache from many scented sunscreens. Since I have a family history of skin cancer and am concerned about slowing the signs of aging, itís important for me to find an effective broad-spectrum sunscreen that wonít clog my pores, cause breakouts, irritate my skin, look unnatural under makeup, give me a headache from the scent, or make my face shinier.

Iíve tried dozens of sunscreens over the years and this is the only one that meets all my requirements. It absorbs oil (probably too much for someone with very dry skin), leaves my skin almost matte, leaves no sticky residue (it seriously feels like my skin is bare), doesnít cause irritation, stays on even when I exercise, and looks good under makeup--or by itself.

I have only one complaint: although itís unscented, the natural smell of the ingredients is annoying and unpleasant. However, Iíve never found a truly odor-free sunscreen that contains effective ingredients at a high concentration, so Iím willing to put up with the smell. I mostly notice it when I first put the sunscreen on.

If you wear makeup over it, make sure to gently rub the sunscreen in. Since itís invisible on the skin, it can be easy to neglect spots where you applied a bit too much, and makeup can look streaky on those spots. I use a lot of sunscreen; I just make sure to apply it evenly and carefully before applying makeup.

I like using this on my body because I hate having my arms and legs feel sticky but unfortunately itís too expensive for that so I use if on my body only on days when Iíll be outside more than usual. Otherwise, I use it on my face, neck, and the backs of my hands.

It can be difficult to wash off my palms after applying or off my face or body at night, so I use a cleansing oil (DHC makes a good one) first, then soap or cleanser. Makeup remover, coconut oil, and baby oil (on my bodyónot face) work well too. It requires a little extra time to remove, but itís worth it because itís so much better than any other sunscreen.

I was looking for a paraben-free sunscreen to replace another similar product from Skinceuticals, and read a lot of raving reviews about Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50. Eventually I decided to give it a try. As a sunscreen, it pretty much did the job. However,

1. It left my face with a white cast;
2. It dried my skin no matter what kind of rich moisturizers I used;
3. The worst thing was it easily clogged the pores.

I did not really mind about 1. and 2., but as one who do not have clog-prone skin, this product surprised me in a bad way. I had to clean my face with cleansing milk/creme and wiped it off at least a couple of times to ensure I would not see a clogged pore on my face the very next morning.

I might end up using it on my hands and feet, but will not buy it again.