Lime Crime Airborne Unicorn

Lime Crime Airborne Unicorn

4.1

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Diisostearyl Malate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Castor Isostearate Succinate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Octyldodecanol, Ozokerite, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene, Microcrystalline Wax, Phenoxyethanol, Vanillin, Capryl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Vegetable Oil, BHT. [+/-] Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Yellow 5 Lake (CI19140), Red #7 Lake (CI45410, CI15850), D&C Red #6 (CI15850), Blue #1 Lake (CI42090), Yellow #6 Lake (CI15985).

on 6/22/2017 11:34:00 AM

Airborne Unicorn is my favorite shade of Lime Crime lippie - and I own many, many of them. Why is it my favorite? It's amazing, that's why! Not only is it an excellent quality lipstick, the color looks great on me, no matter what I'm wearing. This color brightens my complexion without yellowing my teeth the way some lilac/purple lippies do. And it seems to work the same way for others, no matter what tone their skin is, judging from actual user pictures. Get it and enjoy!

on 3/4/2017 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I never wear purple and it doesn't suit me, bur I bought a bunch of these lipsticks when I first discovered Lime Crime and I still have this one that's only been used a handful of times. It's very pigmented and opaque. Creamy and the smell in the tube is nice, a vanilla scent similar to MAC lipsticks. I adore the packaging and it's probably the only reason I keep this. It's beautiful and well made.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

While it is a very interesting color I was curious to try, it stained badly and bled in the edges. The bleeding could be combated with a lip liner, but the staining made me look rather ill the day after.

I do not like the texture, taste or smell on any of of these. They feel very uncomfortably waxy and drying on the lips, you constantly "feel that its there". The waxiness haunts the taste and the smell too. While it is scented with a nice vanilla, the waxiness comes through enough to make me slightly nauseous.

on 7/16/2014 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

never used lime crime before so i thought might give it a try because i have been looking for a really pigmented lipstick and also one that would stay on longer. because all the ones i have they all fade too easily and not pigmented enough for me.

i bought 2 colours, airbourne unicorn and Great Pink Planet

absolutely love them! especially airbourne unicorn, perfect pink/purple shade that i have been looking for for a while, it stays on all day! i only need to re-apply just a tiny bit after drinks and food, not too drying which it is perfect! but recommend lip balm before application!!

price is reasonable so defo a product that i will buy again!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Lime Crime is a brand I didn't intend on revisiting due to an initial "meh" first impression in 2011. I hadn't seen much from the brand that interested me and had no reason to really look into their products until 2013 when I found out that the company has continued to have bizarre business practices that spill over into personal lives.

If you get anything out of this review, please let it be to research this company thoroughly. Google can provide you with literally hours of blog posts, reviews, and personal accounts that should be considered. By all means come to your own conclusions, I just feel I wouldn't be posting an honest review without this preface. Many people fall on the extremes with this company, either loving it or hating it, but I just ended up feeling like there are enough alternatives not to bother with it.

So, despite my disinterest in Lime Crime, I ended up with a tube of Airborne Unicorn for my birthday from a friend. I've been looking into purple lipsticks and my friend kindly thought this would suit my preferences not knowing I had tried the brand before. However, upon my first impression opening the tube I was pretty impressed with the color and looked forward to testing it out. Here's my pros and cons:

Pros:
Formula texture seems to be improved on initial application and reminds me of MAC's Amplified lipstick formula. It applies at lot smoother than my tube of Retrofuturist does and feels more like a high end lipstick. This bullet is in it's tube sturdily and doesn't feel like it's going to break off like my Retrofuturist does. I think some of the issues with the formula have been adjusted, but aren't perfected yet.

Cons:
The bad news is that despite applying well at first and feeling moisturizing, after a while the lipstick starts feeling really dry and ends up being patchy a bit because of it. The way the color is presented in online swatches is also pretty darn inaccurate. The neon in your face purple I'm seeing on Lime Crime's website looks nothing like the pinkish-heather purple I have currently swatched on my hand. It's much more subdued and easily dupable with shades offered from Maybelline, NYX, and Milani. If I mix this with a balm and sheer it out a bit, it's workable. It's also worth noting that the back of the bullet of lipstick has turned kind of orange. I don't think it's dangerous to use, but may be a result of temperature changes. A wipe with a tissue took most of it off, but still that's not something that should really be happening. Now that this stuff is $18 dollars a tube I think there's still a lot pretty unacceptable performance issues.

So for now I'm near certain Lime Crime and I aren't going to cross paths again, there are just too many alternatives out there and even the crazier colors like the blues, yellows, and greens now are offered by more companies at a cheaper price. The price point seemed a bit high when I bought my first tube at $12 + shipping, but now at $18 + shipping I'd rather invest in colors from NARS or OCC lip tars. If you don't mind waiting a bit, apparently NYX is coming out with a brights and pastel line later this Spring that appear to have some dead on dupes for Lime Crime shades.

ETA : I now have NYX's Violet and it's wonderful and what I would have expected Airborne Unicorn to look like color and performance wise and it's only $6. Comparison swatches between the two are also in my profile.

on 1/6/2014 5:51:00 AM

Medium violet tone and highly pigmented. I only need 1 layer when I applied it. The texture is incredibly opaque and it didn't dries up my lips. Usually I combine it with their Poisonberry as the outer line and it turned out beautifully.

Before I purchased this lipstick I done a lot of research (I always do when purchasing new products) and read all the bad stuff about doe and lime crime and while a lot of what I read was not great i just couldn't resist this colour.

The minute I tried it on I fell in love, for me it is an amazing colour, it doesn't bleed or stain my lips and the price was reasonable. I do have to touch up quite often but I have to do this with all other brands I own (revlon, loreal, nyx, face and yes even MAC), maybe I'm just fussy and like perfect coverage all the time. I would definitely re purchase and it is because of this one lipstick that I have purchased 10 other lime crime lipsticks.

on 4/16/2013 6:50:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Although its incredibly expensive, (in my opinion, for a single lipstick) I do have to admit that I am absolutely in love with the color.

It's not exactly creamy, but it is very vibrant, almost a subtle neon lavender on your lips. You will be fine with the formula if you exfoliate and put lip balm on your lips before applying this product, as with most thick, opaque lipsticks. I could care less about the controversy behind Lime Crime, as long as their products are safe and I like it. The packaging is definitely a plus for me as well, it's sparkly and purple with a unicorn on it and I just love carrying it around and applying it in public.

This color is hard to find anywhere, and is very unique. Totally different from the new Nicki lipstick, and I can easily pair it with any lipgloss and I even like to do ombre lips with dark lip pencils like currant and nightmoth from MAC.

Very versatile, very cute, I would recommend to anyone who loves cute makeup.

on 4/3/2013 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I loved this lipstick. The colour is unlike and purple I've ever used before, it is medium violet-lilacy-pink toned shade but with a fluorescent touch. I've been getting compliments on it all week and unlike certain other purple lipsticks, this purple shade completely flatters my transparent white skin tone! It's the perfect shade for those of you who want to make a statement, without being TOO out there.

on 3/14/2013 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Love this lipstick! The color is vibrant purple so will definitely get noticed when you wear it. A lot of people asking what I'm wearing when I have this on. It's a fun color so if you feel daring, you should give it a try. The formula is a bit drying hence why it last really long and stained the lips. The packaging though is not that sterdy, the cap is a thin plastic so it cracked easily and the logo also rubbed off easily.