MAC Originality

MAC Originality
Mac Originality Nail Polish

4.5

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

A bright, burnished gold foil. Closer to bronze than yellow gold, but not brown enough to be called bronze. If I compare this to OPI Rising Star and Brisbane Bronze, it seems solidly in between those two shades.

I picked it up even though it says "frost" on the bottom, and in my experience with MAC frosts, they are painfully sheer. This was a pleasant surprise in terms of opacity. Two coats and I'm satisfied. A teeny bit see-through on the tips, but its negligible.

The brush was a little weird and fluffy at the tips for a MAC brush, but i got along just fine.

I like it a lot, but i may wear it more often in the fall... Its beautiful, but it makes me think of falling leaves and even golden angel wings from Christmas, and its summer right now lol

on 8/31/2010 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Limited Edition, intensely metallic copper with hints of gold and bronze. I ordered from the online mac store and based on the picture and description, i thought this would be a shimmery brown, so i was disappointed at first. But the coverage is excellent and it has excellent lasting power. Great with a summer tan. And also good for fall with clothes in purples, burgundies, browns, greens, black, and pumpkiny / fall leaf colors.

on 6/30/2010 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

A very pretty bronze, copper, gold color it has a good amount of shimmer/shine and looks amazing on tanned skin.It is a great summer shade, and only requires one coat for a smooth application, and two coats fora brighter smooth application not familiar with all MAC nailpolishes as this is my first one, but seems the consistensy is great. It is unique and worth adding to any nail polish collection.

on 5/18/2010 7:40:00 PM

I was very surprised by this polish. It's a gorgeous color that is like copper mixed with bronze. It's so unique! I get tons of compliments on it. It was great as two coats, but I like my polish super opaque so I do three.

on 5/14/2010 6:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

After the last few bouts of nail polish from MAC that required 3-4 coats to go totally opaque, I was pleasantly surprised by Originality. It took only one coat to be fully opaque on my nails, but I did two, just in case. The colour is a muted shimmery gold and it was what I wanted the Mercenary nail polish from the Style Warriors collection to look like. Mercenary was too dark on my hands and resembled more brown than gold. Originality, on the other hand, is unmistakably some shade of gold, and looks sophisticated on my NC30 skin. It reminds me of the gold polish that came out with the Antiquitease collection (Holiday 2007) so this is a close substitute if you missed that one. I honestly recommend Originality because it's such a beautiful gold colour that is good for any occasion and its pigmentation is really impressive. After wearing Originality for 2 days, I decided to freshen up the manicure and hide the minimal tip wear by adding one coat of Spin Me Round gold holographic polish from China Glaze, which lightened up the colour and turned up the bling. I am in awe of the effect of the two polishes combined.

on 5/11/2010 4:59:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I purchased this colour on Friday. I absolutly love it so far, put it on on Sunday evening and it's chipped minimally since then which is pretty amazing for me, normally polishes chip within a day. It's got very nice coverage, and as always, the MAC brush is great for even application. I doubt I will run out of this colour while it's in production, but if it's ever re-released I would definitly buy it again!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm in love with this polish. i have not seen one like this before. Kind of an old gold color to me with some big glitter mixed in. just so nice one coat is all you need dries fast so good last for ever i'm alway washing my hands and it stays on. Pretty you need this!

on 4/28/2010 11:55:00 PM

This nail polish is part of MAC's Pre-a-Papier collection. Originally I was only going to stock up on Studded polish which is also a limitied edition color. But when I saw this, I couldn't resist!

The color payoff is very good. You could wear just one coat but I prefer two coats for even and denser coverage. It applies very very easily. Unlike the crappy Chanel polish brush, MAC nail polish brush gives even distribution of product and smooth application. The color is more coppery rather than gold. IMO it feels like MAC turned a gold pigment into a nail polish! I've only worn it for a day so I can't really attest to longevity of the polish. I will update after a few days on that.

It is definitely pricier than a drugstore polish but cheaper than a department store brands. I don't think I will stock up on this in particular color but it is a fun color for special occasion. I wish MAC would do this formula with cherry red color. That would be a dream!!!

Popular Polishes