Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base

Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base
Pure Pressed BaseJane Iredale Pure Pressed Base foundation

Not tested on animals

CTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 14%, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 3% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica (CI 77019), Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Hydrated Silica, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. [ /- Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470)]

on 1/22/2017 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I just love this product and better yet, it comes in a refillable compact! I have been using it since 2010, shortly after I developed rosacea and had to rethink my makeup routine. It is gentle enough to use over rosacea bumps and even eczema, so this is true mineral makeup. I will confess that I did stray once for convenience reasons and tried BareMinerals via Ulta and it was so heavy and awful and the yellow shade was too pale/chalky--never again. This product is light and is not for someone wanting a full-coverage product, which is a look I just don't care for. I do touch up some hyper-pigmented spots with a tiny concealer brush after applying it with a kabuki brush to my entire face and neck and I also combine it with Prescriptives Camouflage Cream--a staple that's been in my drawer for over 20 years--and that keeps my skin looking even, yet natural.

Per finding the right color, I was lucky enough to be in a dermatologist's office the 1st time, but I was the one who found my magic shade: Warm Sienna. My skin looks pale against my dark hair, but it's actually warm and has olive and yellow undertones and Warm Sienna is the exact color of my skin and my skin color is so hard to match. If your skin is warm, stick with warm shades and if it's cool, stick with cool shades. I suppose the neutrals out there know who they are. If in doubt, the color swatches on the Jane Iredale website have a short description of each shade that may help--just click on them.

on 12/30/2016 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Between NC and NW 30, I got golden glow. Many colors seemed too pink. This one is too yellow. I am personally in the olive range.

I will be comparing this to glominerals. They are in the same price range and have similar claims. I am wearing the same moisturizer for both because it doesn't break me out (eucerin healing cream). This obviously effects how oily I get, and may alter the consistency of these powder foundations.

I have oily acne-prone skin, and my skin is like my stomach in terms of being sensitive to ingredients.

In comparison to glominerals, the color selection is worse. Glominerals has an olivey section (honey light matches me fairly well) but Jane iredale is on the yellow vs pink spectrum from my experience.

The longevity of Jane iredale is better. I'm using a moisturizer that makes me extra oily so this is good.

This is more finely milled and less cakey looking. Glo gets cakey very easily.

Jane iredale has better coverage in my experience, so far. I see people talking about how this doesn't cover. That confuses me a little. If you use a dense sponge , you can cover acne marks and eye circles decently. Not cover fx coverage, but enough to make me feel comfortable. A light brush will do light coverage. So overall I find this malleable in terms of coverage.

Jane has spf, which I don't like. It can conflict with some of my sunscreen ingredients. (It's much better to wear sunscreen rather than rely on foundation to contain it, btw).

Both of them have zero oil control and you'll need a setting powder.

Both of them calm my skin and do not break me out. I was using up colorstay whipped, which makes my skin red and inflamed with acne. After using Jane iredale this week, it has significantly calmed and my acne is subsiding.

This is still not as natural looking as liquid foundations on the market, but better than most drugstore powders. I will continue alternating between Glo and Jane iredale, since they don't break me out and they are relatively convenient for busy days.

on 12/6/2016 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My HG foundation. I got this after my dermatologist recommended it to me. About two weeks after using this, I noticed the acne bumps and redness on my cheeks disappearing. Still not completely gone, but this foundation did a lot to improve it!

Coverage is pretty light. I used a tinted sunscreen underneath (Paula's choice) it and that in combination with this foundation, hides my mild rosacea pretty well.

It's expensive, but for me, worth it for the improved skin quality.

on 9/21/2016 4:10:00 PM

I'm so disappointed. Every site and blog that I've found discussing hormonal acne had referenced this foundation as being the end all be all, holy grail, etc. option for sensitive acne prone skin. I've tried every combination with other products I can think of, and just using it by itself, and nothing works. Everytime, within an hour or so, I develop new bumps all over the area I use it in, which doesn't happen with any other make up. I do have sensitive hormonal acne prone skin, but this make up is supposed to be IDEAL for that. It's made my skin so much worse, and I hate the way it feels. the application is so thin, coverage is horrid, and I just can't imagine ever looking this makeup unless I had perfect poreless skin, which would defeat the purpose of having this anyway. I'm so heart broken, honestly, and now I'm out the hundred+ dollars I spent on the powder and the recommended brush, plus the Iredale setting spray. Don't bother, and don't believe the hype.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm very divided about this makeup. I have pure pressed base in warm sienna (actually an ivory shade, weird colour names with this one...). It was around $50 at my local overpriced spa, and I was using up a gift card, otherwise I probably would never have bought this. It comes in the flimsiest, crappiest "refill" packaging, and the compact was $17 more, and not worth the splurge IMO.

The coverage is great for me, I love a light finish, and mineral powders really are my jam. It applies quite matte, and after a while your natural oils soak through and give a more satin finish. I don't even mind that, since it gives a true skin look and doesn't seem to fade the coverage. If I do a subpar buffing job in the morning, by the afternoon sometimes things look cakey or fake once the oils soak through and need to be reblended with a beauty blender. If you have oiler skin and value a matte look, steer clear. I'm also happy with the fact that this hasn't broken me out, even with the sunscreen in it. I didn't get a burn on days that I used only this as a sunscreen, so it is an effective sunblock. It is also reasonably waterproof, I used it while on a river float a few times this summer.

But...I just don't love it. It is super finely milled, which is awesome, but it also means that you pick up a ton with your brush, and I've been burning through product to get such a light finish. Seriously, I've almost used this up within 3 months, whereas with my bare minerals matte, it took me about 9 months. Comparing product to product, the bare minerals matte foundation would win for me, as it has a similar finish and results, requires minimal product, and is about $15 cheaper.

There's lots that I like about this product, but I think that I can definitely find something of similar quality, with all of its good points, elsewhere for a LOT cheaper. If you're a huge Iredale fan and you have money to burn, I'd say try it out, but I won't be repurchasing.

on 8/31/2016 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Based on the positive reviews I gave this makeup a try. What a mistake! First it is pricey and doesn't come in a compact. You have to buy the compact separate. Your $42 makeup comes in a plastic little container. There was good color selection and I tried about 4 colors, but none seemed to really work. I went with the recommendation of the consultant. I used primer then applied this makeup. Not even 2 hours later my pores looked huge and my face shimmery. 2 more hours my face was a full on oily mess. On top of this my face became very itchy. I've only had that issue one other time. It must be a certain ingredient that doesn't agree with my skin. I'm not counting off for that because that's my issue.
The only couple pros are the company is cruelty free and the makeup has spf.
I'm not sure why I decided to try something new. I'll happily go back to my Tarte Amazonian airbrush foundation.

on 8/5/2016 5:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I really wanted to like this product. I saw Wayne Goss use it and he really buffed it in, it looked gorgeous.

However I found that this product went VERY DEWY on me which then made my pores larger. I have oily/combo skin so by midday it was like an oil slick!! Aaaaahh!

It also oxidised which made my skin look a shade or two darker.

And the price OMG, it's expensive. I may give it another go but by the end of the day my face was so itchy!

The packaging is nice though, it comes as a refill and you have to buy the compact separately but so I'll give it 5 lippies for that. But it just didn't agree with me :(

on 8/4/2016 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is legit my favourite pressed powder.

I do stray time to time from this gem, but I always come back. It is one of the only powders that I have ever repurchased; I think I am on my fourth pan now.

I use a puff to apply this after my foundation. I press (don't swipe), the powder into my skin, and I swear to god it makes me look flawless. My skin is just perfect with this on- smooth and amazing.

I use a different puff than the one that comes with the compact. At the moment I am using a MAC velour one, but I have had good results with the Ben Nye puff- but I imagine one puff is much the same as another! Then I use a clean brush to buff out any patchy bits afterwards where it's a bit heavy, and set with either Skindinavia spray or Ben Nye final seal. Voila! It lasts all day with minimal touch ups needed.

I am NW15 in MAC and I wear this in warm silk which spot-on for me. It is a bit pricey, but it does seem to last a while, even with daily use, and they sell refills of this and that makes the price sting a little bit less. I actually just buy the refill and keep it in the plastic container and use it out of that.

I asked my esthetician which makeup brands she recommended and she suggested Jane Iredale even though the price is high. Everything else I was using contained talc, little did I know it was breaking me out, so I bit the bullet and spent the money on some high quality makeup. I purchased this as well as the amazing base loose finishing powder.

For reference I have oily combo skin, yellow undertones, medium skin color, brown eyes. I purchased this compact, as well as the amazing base, in Golden Glow. I also purchased the handi kabuki brush. To finish I bought the H2O spray in "balance".

I am really liking this foundation. It doesn't give full coverage. More a light to medium coverage. It gives a lovely dewy appearance to my skin. It hasn't seemed to break me out at all. I plan to purchase the Glow Time BB cream as well as the Smooth Affair primer.

How I apply is with the kabuki brush in downward strokes as they recommend and then I apply my Active Light concealer without setting it with more powder. Then I apply my eye makeup, then spray with the balance spray.

I plan to repurchase when I run out! I'm glad I took the plunge and bought this line of makeup. I think it's going to be my HG.

on 3/16/2016 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

nice it didnt break me out...im soooo sensitive but this one is the best. satin looks natural on me. worth the price