Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base

Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base
Pure Pressed BasePure Pressed BaseJane Iredale Pure Pressed Base foundation

Not tested on animals

CTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 14%, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 3% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica (CI 77019), Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Hydrated Silica, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. [ /- Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470)]

on 4/27/2017 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My original review for this product was written in 2011, so I decided to delete and update it because obviously if I am still using a product years later, there is something good about it.

I have repurchased this stuff many times in several shades depending on season including Warm Sienna, Golden Glow, Satin, Amber and Radiant. With the "real" stuff the coverage is decent and it is one of the few brands that doesn't break me out as well as providing decent coverage and some sun protection. It is also recommended by my derm as a product that is non-irritating to acne prone and post procedure skin. Unlike most mineral makeup, it does not emphasize fine lines nor make your skin look dry. If anything, letting it "set" on skin makes it look even more natural and blends it in. It has always been pretty pricey at around $42 USD wnd while it IS possible to find it on the internet for around $30, source seems to affect the quality of the product. I have gotten some "off" batches from various places that caused me to question whether they had changed their product or it was now not suited to me. I can't be sure if I was getting fakes or old product, but it did not work the same. Because of this, online I now only purchase it from the official website even if it is a bit more expensive or purchase locally at my derm.

The major con with this line aside from the crazy high price has always been its limited availability outside of spas and the internet. Also be aware that they HAVE changed the product cases that the refills go in to a cheapy plastic one, so if you have one of the old metal ones you will want to keep it.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I originally reviewed this product 10 years ago - back in 2007! I decided to delete that review so I could write an updated one. For reference, I included my old one at the end of this new review.

I've been using this powder foundation off and on since 2005. I stopped using it for a few years because I fell in love with Laura Mercier's Pressed Mineral Foundation. However, that one changed over the years and dropped the SPF. It is very important to me that my foundation have SPF in it (even though I apply a separate one before my makeup). I guess I just like that extra layer of protection, so I ordered a new refill of the JI Pressed Mineral Foundation and instantly remembered why I loved it so much. Now with an SPF 20, it is truly one of the best pressed powders on the market. It's talc-free, goes on smoothly, provides great coverage (yet still natural-looking), doesn't crease, cake, or wear off. Plus, it doesn't make me breakout. It comes in a large array of shades from very fair to deep. My skin tone is medium-to-olive and Golden Glow (yellow-based) is a perfect match for me. Other powders look heavy on me and I can see the product sitting my face. I don't have that problem with JI. Most days I use this over my daily SPF and concealer. On days when I wear a liquid foundation, I'll sometimes use this as a setting powder. Either way, it works great!

You still buy this product in two separate pieces: the compact and the refill. The compact has changed over the years... the original one was a heavier and made of metal. It was pretty, but mine got scratched up over the years. When I ordered a replacement a few years ago, I was sent a plastic compact - not quite as nice as the metal one, but it's holding up great with no scratches. The price for this product is $18 for the compact and $42 for the refill - a little pricy, but well-worth it to me. I've see the refills much cheaper on Overstock.com, TheBeautyPlace.com, and Jet.com (not affiliated with any of these websites). I bought 2 from Overstock.com earlier this year and was very pleased. I basically got two for the price of one. You can also buy directly from JaneIredale.com or on Dermstore.com (they have occasional sales on JI products, but you usually cannot use their coupon codes on JI).
************************************************************************************
ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM 2007
I've used this pressed mineral foundation off and on for almost 2 years. It goes on smoothly -- not at all chalky -- and provides light to medium coverage, depending on how much you apply (it goes on best with a flocked sponge, but I've used my BE brushes as well). I've tried Suntan (pink undertone) and Warm Sienna (yellow undertone). I think this mineral foundation is superior to BE in many ways. First, the fact that it's pressed is a HUGE plus! It's much more portable and less messy. Second, it provides a matte finish, unlike the super-shiny finish of BE. Third, it looks and feels lighter on the skin. I don't get a mask-like appearance when I wear JI. Fourth, it has an SPF 18, which is a bit higher than the SPF 15 of BE. Another plus to this makeup is the gorgeous gold compact it comes in. The one minus to this makeup is the price. I paid $48 at my dermatologist's office! You can buy this makeup at various online stores, so I'm hoping to get a better deal the next time I purchase it.

on 3/21/2017 4:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have been wearing this pressed powder foundation for quite a few years now. I have very sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin which is also now aging a bit. One of the reasons I love this foundation is that I have zero reactions to it of any kind. This foundation is made up of simple, basic but very high-quality ingredients. Yes, bare minerals is much cheaper but contains a lot of cheaper chemical ingredients.

I don't use the sponge this comes with and I don't recommend it - this is best applied with a brush. The denser your brush the more coverage you will get. I also go in with a small concealer brush and cover any undereye circles or blemishes. You can build this up to full-coverage if you want but I find it starts to look too opaque. For me, this is quick, everyday foundation. To break up the matte finish I usually spray rosewater over top which gives this a more dewy, very skin-like finish.

My only issue with this is that it looks a little opaque in flash photos. Minerals are just ground up rocks and therefore not especially translucent (but you don't exactly get flashback either). If I am going out and know there will be a lot of photos taken I switch to something that is a little more photo friendly but not as good for my skin.

If you have ultra sensitive skin this is a fantastic foundation. It is pretty pricey but for me it is worth it to not have to worry about reactions, breakouts or harming my skin over the long run. However, this is not going to perform like a new generation, long wearing foundation with silicones, emulsifiers, etc.

I really like this product - the colour is perfect for my pale skin (I use Radiant). I only gave one lippie for price, because it's ridiculously expensive in NZ - about $95. I've bought it twice - both times from StrawberryNet and it was much cheaper. It has an SPF15 and a nice finish - gives me a bit of a glow and evens out my skin tone. Feels nice and light on my skin, unlike many liquid foundations I've tried, and it lasts for ages (on my skin & the compact itself). You can buy refils as well.

on 1/22/2017 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I just love this product and better yet, it comes in a refillable compact! I have been using it since 2010, shortly after I developed rosacea and had to rethink my makeup routine. It is gentle enough to use over rosacea bumps and even eczema, so this is true mineral makeup. I will confess that I did stray once for convenience reasons and tried BareMinerals via Ulta and it was so heavy and awful and the yellow shade was too pale/chalky--never again. This product is light and is not for someone wanting a full-coverage product, which is a look I just don't care for. I do touch up some hyper-pigmented spots with a tiny concealer brush after applying it with a kabuki brush to my entire face and neck and I also combine it with Prescriptives Camouflage Cream--a staple that's been in my drawer for over 20 years--and that keeps my skin looking even, yet natural.

Per finding the right color, I was lucky enough to be in a dermatologist's office the 1st time, but I was the one who found my magic shade: Warm Sienna. My skin looks pale against my dark hair, but it's actually warm and has olive and yellow undertones and Warm Sienna is the exact color of my skin and my skin color is so hard to match. If your skin is warm, stick with warm shades and if it's cool, stick with cool shades. I suppose the neutrals out there know who they are. If in doubt, the color swatches on the Jane Iredale website have a short description of each shade that may help--just click on them.

on 12/30/2016 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Between NC and NW 30, I got golden glow. Many colors seemed too pink. This one is too yellow. I am personally in the olive range.

I will be comparing this to glominerals. They are in the same price range and have similar claims. I am wearing the same moisturizer for both because it doesn't break me out (eucerin healing cream). This obviously effects how oily I get, and may alter the consistency of these powder foundations.

I have oily acne-prone skin, and my skin is like my stomach in terms of being sensitive to ingredients.

In comparison to glominerals, the color selection is worse. Glominerals has an olivey section (honey light matches me fairly well) but Jane iredale is on the yellow vs pink spectrum from my experience.

The longevity of Jane iredale is better. I'm using a moisturizer that makes me extra oily so this is good.

This is more finely milled and less cakey looking. Glo gets cakey very easily.

Jane iredale has better coverage in my experience, so far. I see people talking about how this doesn't cover. That confuses me a little. If you use a dense sponge , you can cover acne marks and eye circles decently. Not cover fx coverage, but enough to make me feel comfortable. A light brush will do light coverage. So overall I find this malleable in terms of coverage.

Jane has spf, which I don't like. It can conflict with some of my sunscreen ingredients. (It's much better to wear sunscreen rather than rely on foundation to contain it, btw).

Both of them have zero oil control and you'll need a setting powder.

Both of them calm my skin and do not break me out. I was using up colorstay whipped, which makes my skin red and inflamed with acne. After using Jane iredale this week, it has significantly calmed and my acne is subsiding.

This is still not as natural looking as liquid foundations on the market, but better than most drugstore powders. I will continue alternating between Glo and Jane iredale, since they don't break me out and they are relatively convenient for busy days.

on 12/6/2016 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My HG foundation. I got this after my dermatologist recommended it to me. About two weeks after using this, I noticed the acne bumps and redness on my cheeks disappearing. Still not completely gone, but this foundation did a lot to improve it!

Coverage is pretty light. I used a tinted sunscreen underneath (Paula's choice) it and that in combination with this foundation, hides my mild rosacea pretty well.

It's expensive, but for me, worth it for the improved skin quality.

on 9/21/2016 4:10:00 PM

I'm so disappointed. Every site and blog that I've found discussing hormonal acne had referenced this foundation as being the end all be all, holy grail, etc. option for sensitive acne prone skin. I've tried every combination with other products I can think of, and just using it by itself, and nothing works. Everytime, within an hour or so, I develop new bumps all over the area I use it in, which doesn't happen with any other make up. I do have sensitive hormonal acne prone skin, but this make up is supposed to be IDEAL for that. It's made my skin so much worse, and I hate the way it feels. the application is so thin, coverage is horrid, and I just can't imagine ever looking this makeup unless I had perfect poreless skin, which would defeat the purpose of having this anyway. I'm so heart broken, honestly, and now I'm out the hundred+ dollars I spent on the powder and the recommended brush, plus the Iredale setting spray. Don't bother, and don't believe the hype.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm very divided about this makeup. I have pure pressed base in warm sienna (actually an ivory shade, weird colour names with this one...). It was around $50 at my local overpriced spa, and I was using up a gift card, otherwise I probably would never have bought this. It comes in the flimsiest, crappiest "refill" packaging, and the compact was $17 more, and not worth the splurge IMO.

The coverage is great for me, I love a light finish, and mineral powders really are my jam. It applies quite matte, and after a while your natural oils soak through and give a more satin finish. I don't even mind that, since it gives a true skin look and doesn't seem to fade the coverage. If I do a subpar buffing job in the morning, by the afternoon sometimes things look cakey or fake once the oils soak through and need to be reblended with a beauty blender. If you have oiler skin and value a matte look, steer clear. I'm also happy with the fact that this hasn't broken me out, even with the sunscreen in it. I didn't get a burn on days that I used only this as a sunscreen, so it is an effective sunblock. It is also reasonably waterproof, I used it while on a river float a few times this summer.

But...I just don't love it. It is super finely milled, which is awesome, but it also means that you pick up a ton with your brush, and I've been burning through product to get such a light finish. Seriously, I've almost used this up within 3 months, whereas with my bare minerals matte, it took me about 9 months. Comparing product to product, the bare minerals matte foundation would win for me, as it has a similar finish and results, requires minimal product, and is about $15 cheaper.

There's lots that I like about this product, but I think that I can definitely find something of similar quality, with all of its good points, elsewhere for a LOT cheaper. If you're a huge Iredale fan and you have money to burn, I'd say try it out, but I won't be repurchasing.

on 8/31/2016 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Based on the positive reviews I gave this makeup a try. What a mistake! First it is pricey and doesn't come in a compact. You have to buy the compact separate. Your $42 makeup comes in a plastic little container. There was good color selection and I tried about 4 colors, but none seemed to really work. I went with the recommendation of the consultant. I used primer then applied this makeup. Not even 2 hours later my pores looked huge and my face shimmery. 2 more hours my face was a full on oily mess. On top of this my face became very itchy. I've only had that issue one other time. It must be a certain ingredient that doesn't agree with my skin. I'm not counting off for that because that's my issue.
The only couple pros are the company is cruelty free and the makeup has spf.
I'm not sure why I decided to try something new. I'll happily go back to my Tarte Amazonian airbrush foundation.