Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base

Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base
Pure Pressed BasePure Pressed BaseJane Iredale Pure Pressed Base foundation

Not tested on animals

CTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 14%, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 3% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica (CI 77019), Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Hydrated Silica, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. [ /- Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470)]

on 10/11/2018 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am dry-acne prone and with well-moisturized and primed skin, this powder looks fantastic and lasts all day. Warm Sienna is perfect for NC25. On the pricey side but well worth it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love powder foundations more than any other type. The good ones are truly invisible and this is the only type of foundation that gives me a natural looking great skin.
My skin is sensitive, normal to dry, dehydrated.
I hate this powder! No other powder foundation has ever performed on my skin like this one or looked as bad on photos.
In one hour it settled into every line I've got. In two hours it has found its way into pores and the lines I have no idea I had on my face. Bare in mind I do not have any visible pores, but this foundation found something to settle into.
I never knew I had some tiny hair on my face, thanks to Jane Iredale now I'm aware that my face is covered in ultrathin 1/16 inch hair.
Four hours later all the foundation was pretty much gone.
I believe oily skin types can benefit from using this powder, but anyone with skin similar to mine should stay away.

P.S. I've tried using two tones on my NC25 skin - Satin (turned out too ashy), Golden Glow (too warm, still a bit ashy). Jane Iredale has a great shade range, but I personally can find a better match within 6 shades of La Prairie.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am a certified makeup junkie, I love good performing makeup, and I use all price points. I prefer to wear powder foundations primarily in the summer time. I had heard really good things about this powder foundation over the years, from sources that I trust. Both Wayne Goss and Tati (of YouTube) have raved about this powder foundation, so I thought it was a sure thing that I would love it. I purchased this, and I was immediately surprised by the amount of kickback this has. I dip my Sonia G. mineral foundation brush in and the pan resembled footage of the ABH Subculture palette kickback. Okay, I could get past that if the foundation performs well. Every time I have used this, within 3 hours my face looks absolutely awful. Cake face. Separation. I tried using different moisturizers and primers, thinking that might help, but nope. I need my powder foundation to become one with my skin, and not sit on top of it and separate. This is a complete pass for me, and it is a real shame, because it is not cheap. I much prefer the Lancome, Laura Gellar, Pur Minerals and Bare Minerals powder foundations over this one. I am SO disappointed. I also find it extremely unethical that the Jane Iredale website (which is where I bought the foundation from), will not let you post a review without consenting to have your review changed or deleted by them if they do not like what you say. That is extremely shady to me. I know that people truly DO love this product, but I am not one of them and I should be able to warn others of my experience with it.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I wanted to switch from bare minerals to Jane Iridale, liked that this powder was compact and mattifying. But unfortunately it clogged my pores like crazy. 2-3 whiteheads everyday even when I used oil to wash it off. Not what you would expect from mineral cosmetics especially for the price

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have been using Jane Iredale foundations for 8 years now and never looked back.
+ The performance and staying power is fantastic, it never clogs my pores, gives a healthy glow, and looks great throughout the day.
+ I feel my skin can breathe and I know it's good for me.
+ A little goes a long way, I apply it with the handi brush and sometimes with flocked sponge to set the under eye concealer.
+ It has a smooth texture and glides on application
+ It doesn't dry the skin.
+ The colour choice is fab, I have a light skin tone with redness and I use Warm Silk.

- I dont like the new compact packaging, it is plastic and looks cheap, much preferred the old metal one. I am taking one lip of for that.

I use it either on its own over concealer, or on top of JI BB cream and sometimes over Liquid Minerals.

Jane Iredale's pressed foundation is my go-to when I am in a hurry, since the application is very easy. I use the color Bisque. My skin is very fair with neutral to slightly warm undertones (I have some yellow in my skin but can also look ashen).

The foundation is buildable, so if you need more coverage, you will want to do a few thin layers, setting each layer with a setting spray. I use the Jane Iredale Pommisst, which is expensive but does an amazing job. I find that a little goes a long way with both the foundation and the setting spray. I have used the Pommisst as a makeup setting spray after finishing my makeup, and it performs well. It leaves a dewy finish.

I have found that the foundation can leave a cakey, dry look if it is not set with some kind of spray. Also, I have recently discovered that if you moisturize your face first (I don't use a primer), the foundation looks so much better. My face looks amazing if I moisturize first and then use the pressed foundation followed by the Pommisst.

I apply the foundation with a dense, flat-top brush, in downward strokes. I tried using the flat compact pouf thing, but that made the foundation look awful.

My skin is normal to dry, but I think this foundation would be excellent for oily skin types. I especially like using it in the summer, when I will be sweating, because I dislike using liquid foundations in the summer.

I wasn't a fan of the packaging. You are supposed to buy a separate compact to house the pan of foundation. The salesperson told me that you don't need the compact, but the plastic casing that houses the pan of foundation is quite large and does not fit well in my makeup bag. So I ended up having to purchase the compact. Also, the price is high. But a little goes a long way, so you do get what you pay for.

I love the fact that this has a decent SPF (I think 20?). No, it's not enough to rely on by itself, but I feel much better knowing that I have extra sun protection on top of my sunscreen.

on 9/28/2017 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've been using this foundation for more than a year and am very happy with it. My skin is fair and tends to go a bit ruddy, and the Warm Silk color works well as it doesn't have any pink undertones. I don't use the foundation for its intended purpose but instead use Jane Iredale's tinted moisturizer as my "foundation", then apply this Pure Pressed Base over my T-zone as a setting powder. It works great in this manner and adds more SPF coverage (the tinted moisturizer has SPF 15) plus helps even out any redness that the tinted moisturizer didn't cover. The foundation powder contains mica, which is a possible skin irritant. I haven't had any problems with my sensitive skin, possibly because of applying it over my tinted moisturizer. I agree with a previous reviewer to hang onto your compacts and just buy the foundation refills.

on 4/27/2017 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My original review for this product was written in 2011, so I decided to delete and update it because obviously if I am still using a product years later, there is something good about it.

I have repurchased this stuff many times in several shades depending on season including Warm Sienna, Golden Glow, Satin, Amber and Radiant. With the "real" stuff the coverage is decent and it is one of the few brands that doesn't break me out as well as providing decent coverage and some sun protection. It is also recommended by my derm as a product that is non-irritating to acne prone and post procedure skin. Unlike most mineral makeup, it does not emphasize fine lines nor make your skin look dry. If anything, letting it "set" on skin makes it look even more natural and blends it in. It has always been pretty pricey at around $42 USD wnd while it IS possible to find it on the internet for around $30, source seems to affect the quality of the product. I have gotten some "off" batches from various places that caused me to question whether they had changed their product or it was now not suited to me. I can't be sure if I was getting fakes or old product, but it did not work the same. Because of this, online I now only purchase it from the official website even if it is a bit more expensive or purchase locally at my derm.

The major con with this line aside from the crazy high price has always been its limited availability outside of spas and the internet. Also be aware that they HAVE changed the product cases that the refills go in to a cheapy plastic one, so if you have one of the old metal ones you will want to keep it.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I originally reviewed this product 10 years ago - back in 2007! I decided to delete that review so I could write an updated one. For reference, I included my old one at the end of this new review.

I've been using this powder foundation off and on since 2005. I stopped using it for a few years because I fell in love with Laura Mercier's Pressed Mineral Foundation. However, that one changed over the years and dropped the SPF. It is very important to me that my foundation have SPF in it (even though I apply a separate one before my makeup). I guess I just like that extra layer of protection, so I ordered a new refill of the JI Pressed Mineral Foundation and instantly remembered why I loved it so much. Now with an SPF 20, it is truly one of the best pressed powders on the market. It's talc-free, goes on smoothly, provides great coverage (yet still natural-looking), doesn't crease, cake, or wear off. Plus, it doesn't make me breakout. It comes in a large array of shades from very fair to deep. My skin tone is medium-to-olive and Golden Glow (yellow-based) is a perfect match for me. Other powders look heavy on me and I can see the product sitting my face. I don't have that problem with JI. Most days I use this over my daily SPF and concealer. On days when I wear a liquid foundation, I'll sometimes use this as a setting powder. Either way, it works great!

You still buy this product in two separate pieces: the compact and the refill. The compact has changed over the years... the original one was a heavier and made of metal. It was pretty, but mine got scratched up over the years. When I ordered a replacement a few years ago, I was sent a plastic compact - not quite as nice as the metal one, but it's holding up great with no scratches. The price for this product is $18 for the compact and $42 for the refill - a little pricy, but well-worth it to me. I've see the refills much cheaper on Overstock.com, TheBeautyPlace.com, and Jet.com (not affiliated with any of these websites). I bought 2 from Overstock.com earlier this year and was very pleased. I basically got two for the price of one. You can also buy directly from JaneIredale.com or on Dermstore.com (they have occasional sales on JI products, but you usually cannot use their coupon codes on JI).
************************************************************************************
ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM 2007
I've used this pressed mineral foundation off and on for almost 2 years. It goes on smoothly -- not at all chalky -- and provides light to medium coverage, depending on how much you apply (it goes on best with a flocked sponge, but I've used my BE brushes as well). I've tried Suntan (pink undertone) and Warm Sienna (yellow undertone). I think this mineral foundation is superior to BE in many ways. First, the fact that it's pressed is a HUGE plus! It's much more portable and less messy. Second, it provides a matte finish, unlike the super-shiny finish of BE. Third, it looks and feels lighter on the skin. I don't get a mask-like appearance when I wear JI. Fourth, it has an SPF 18, which is a bit higher than the SPF 15 of BE. Another plus to this makeup is the gorgeous gold compact it comes in. The one minus to this makeup is the price. I paid $48 at my dermatologist's office! You can buy this makeup at various online stores, so I'm hoping to get a better deal the next time I purchase it.

on 3/21/2017 4:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have been wearing this pressed powder foundation for quite a few years now. I have very sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin which is also now aging a bit. One of the reasons I love this foundation is that I have zero reactions to it of any kind. This foundation is made up of simple, basic but very high-quality ingredients. Yes, bare minerals is much cheaper but contains a lot of cheaper chemical ingredients.

I don't use the sponge this comes with and I don't recommend it - this is best applied with a brush. The denser your brush the more coverage you will get. I also go in with a small concealer brush and cover any undereye circles or blemishes. You can build this up to full-coverage if you want but I find it starts to look too opaque. For me, this is quick, everyday foundation. To break up the matte finish I usually spray rosewater over top which gives this a more dewy, very skin-like finish.

My only issue with this is that it looks a little opaque in flash photos. Minerals are just ground up rocks and therefore not especially translucent (but you don't exactly get flashback either). If I am going out and know there will be a lot of photos taken I switch to something that is a little more photo friendly but not as good for my skin.

If you have ultra sensitive skin this is a fantastic foundation. It is pretty pricey but for me it is worth it to not have to worry about reactions, breakouts or harming my skin over the long run. However, this is not going to perform like a new generation, long wearing foundation with silicones, emulsifiers, etc.