Neostrata Toning Solution Level 2 (10% Glycolic Acid, 2% Salicylic Acid)

Filtered by eye Color : Green
No Image

4.4

Aqua, Alcohol Denat., Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Salicylic Acid, Triethanolamine, Cucumis Sativus (cucumber) Fruit Extract, Fragrence.

on 2/23/2016 2:47:00 PM

I bought this when the value of the Canadian dollar plummeted deep, down into the depths of the earth, and I could not longer afford my beloved Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid, possibly the best skin care product for acne ever invented. Does it work? Yes. It exfoliates and unblocks pores. Does it burn like a mofo? Yes. (To be fair, I have really sensitive skin.) After several seconds of pain, everything settles down. I've never had any burning or irritation with PC. So I will continue to repurchase this somewhat against my will for the moment because of the cost, but am keeping an eye out for alternatives.

on 6/17/2013 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

UPDATE:
It's been about two months since i started using level one, and one month since i switched to level two. When I started, I had really bad breakouts on both cheeks and jawline. The breaking out would seriously never end. I've never had acne this bad and I was wearing full foundation every day. I am SO happy I started using this toner. My skin has cleared up tremendously. I don't have any active pimples on my face right now, and all the scarring is fading very well.
I know people say they tried everything before they found their miracle product. This isn't a miracle, but for me it's pretty close. I am not kidding when i say i have tried SO MANY products on my face. I tried all the drug store items, natural products like tea tree oil, proactiv... just so many. I have finally found a good skin routine that keeps my face clear (except the random breakout around that time of the month, or after eating too much junk food).
This is my routine:
- Face wipe to remove makeup - (any brand/type, because i wash it off immediately after).
- Marcelle Cleansing Milk - (cleansing milks are WAY better than foaming cleansers - they dont dry out your skin, especially those with acne prone skin. Dry skin is a breeding ground for acne bacteria).
- Neostrata Toning Solution Level 2
- Clindoxyl Gel - (prescription acne gel that you can get from your doctor. works very well if used every night. might dry out your skin a bit at the beginning but then you get used to it. if your skin is sensitive i wouldn't recommend using this at the same time as the toning solution).
- Clinique dramatically different gel, mixed with a dab of pure olive oil - (cliniques gel is a good moisturizer which doesnt break me out, but i feel i need extra moisture. olive oil is an amazing natural moisturizer, and has antibacterial properties. i know it seems weird to put pure oil on your skin but believe me, this WILL NOT break you out. it will only do GOOD things for your skin!! just look it up on MUA and see the great reviews).

Original review:
I first started using the toning solution level one, which was definitely a good idea because your skin needs time to adjust to the higher level of glycolic acid.
Both the level one and level two are very good products. They help to clear acne, to fade scars and even out skin tone and texture. If you can work up to level two, I definitely recommend it. I find it to be more effective due to the higher glycolic acid content.

I actually use level two at night and level one in the morning. I find level two stings (a little) when applied, a little more than level one did. It also smells pretty horrible, like Lysol cleaner or something... but the results are worth it. Level one doesn't smell as bad. If you skin is sensitive, level two might be too much for you.
I have definitely started to see results in scars fading and I'm very excited to continue using this. Always remember to wear sunscreen when using this product!

on 12/8/2010 3:05:00 PM

I hate to give this a bad review as I love Neostrata products. I have been using the toner with 8% Glycolic acid for years and years. I decided to try this since my skin is used to the Glycolic acid and I thought this would be a step up. Well, after three days my skin broke out in annoying small pimples. My skin felt really dry and uncomfortable. The moment I went back to my old standby 8% my skin felt better. So be careful with this. I personally don't like Salicylic acid so maybe it is just me. However it is really drying for your skin. This might be fine for someone to use once a week or so.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have been using this product for just over a month and I have seen definite improvements in my skin since starting. BACKGROUND: I bought it because I was getting clogged pores from long days of wearing a full face of MMU, sunscreen, primer etc. I had a bad breakout from a product that didn't agree with my skin. I also was having a problem with one side of my face as I have a lot of peach fuzz and had breakouts there that would not go away.

This is an amazing formulation because the glycolic acid sweeps away the dead skin cells and the salicylic acid keeps the pores clear. So it's a great choice for anti-aging and acne concerns :) I started using it nightly, sweeping a saturated cotton pad over my face- stings a bit but wasn't unbearable. After about a week my skin started peeling and getting flaky (expected) Then the dreaded purge! I got a bunch of painful pimples which is unusual for me, but they were only in the spots were I had clogged pores so I knew it was working. Three weeks into it, the purge was over with minimal red spots left, and my skin is GLOWING. I have not had any new pimples or clogged pores since the initial purge so I am very pleased with this product and highly recommend for those with stubborn clogged pores! The only thing that bothers me about this formulation is the darn alcohol content, it is too high, a littlle is OK for antiseptic purposes but jeez add some witch hazel or something! It is somewhat drying so you need to make sure to hydrate/moisturize properly afterwards.

Also I find it helps in the morning to do a gentle enzyme mask ( I use Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Peel) or exfoliant, or else you will end up with a flaky makeup application.

on 4/22/2010 9:21:00 AM

I've been using this in conjunction with the Peel Solution and it's working great. I've noticed a real improvement in skin clarity and tone. It can be hard on sensitive skin, but so far it's working well.
When I see a pimple forming I just apply this 3 times a day and it's gone in a day (small ones).