Black Radiance Complexion Perfection - Shine Control Primer

Black Radiance Complexion Perfection -  Shine Control Primer

3.9

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Kaolin, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Tribehenin, Cetyl Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Acrylates Copolymer, Isododecane, Silica, Triethanolamine, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Zinc Oxide, Caprylyl Glycol, Trisodium EDTA, Cellulose Gum, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer 3, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

You wouldn't think that this primer would be very good considering the low price and the unassuming packaging but it actually is. In fact, this is one of the best primers for oily skin I've found at the drugstore, if not, one of the best I've tried for oilier skin period. I've tried many primers over the years ranging from Hourglass, Smashbox, MAC, Maybelline, Rimmel, etc. I have sensitive, acne-prone, mostly oily skin but can get dryness and this doesn't cause any issues for me at all - which a lot of primers do. This primer is so very underrated and it reminds me a bit of the old formula of the MAC Prep + Prime SPF 50 primer, just without the sunscreen.
TEXTURE:
It has a lotion, almost sunscreen consistency which I tend to prefer in primers and it's somewhat thick but easy to blend into the skin. It does though, remain slightly tacky and takes a few minutes to dry down.
EFFECT:
I have texture issues on my skin from old acne scarring and large pores and I think this primer really helps to smooth them out nicely (rather than blur them out - such as Benefit Porefessional), better than a lot of other primers actually (such as the Maybelline Blur + Smooth. btw, this is better than that). Foundation glides and blends nicely over top of it but not in a greasy, slippery way such as those seen in more silicone-based primers. I've not experienced any pilling with it either even if I've applied a bit too much which is great because pilling is a definite deal-breaker for me. One of the best things about this primer is that I think it makes any foundation I've used sit more nicely on top of it and it has worked with every foundation I've used. My foundation always looks a lot more perfected. As someone who is also eczema-prone, though this is marketed as a mattifying primer, it doesn't dry out my skin at all and can actually smooth over dry patches a bit and make them appear less dry so foundation sits over top of it better.
WEAR:
As for the shine-control properties, it's decent - still, better than a lot of other primers I've used though. I do feel as if they have reformulated it from a few years ago. I feel as if the oil control used to be a bit better (it also smelled a little different) but I do feel as though the skin-smoothing and pore-filling properties are better now than they used to be, so I guess that's the trade-off and why I don't give this primer a 5. If the oil-control was better, I would without a doubt give this a 5.

Overall - a great, non-finicky, stand-by primer that makes foundation blend in nicely, smooths the skin, mildly fills in pores and lines and gives decent oil-control. I can always count on this primer to make my makeup look better without giving me any problems so it's a definite staple in my collection. I'd caution against applying too much of it all at once because I've found it can actually make you oilier quicker and start to make your makeup feel heavier if you use too much of it. Also, it's better to really work this primer into the skin so it fills in pores better and so not too much of it is sitting on top of the skin so your foundation melds in better. This and the Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot primer are my two current favorite primers but I will say this smooths over texture scarring and lines better and is less finicky. Though the oil-control isn't quite as good as the One Heck of a Blot.

on 4/4/2017 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I thought this primer would be a more affordable version of Benefit's Porefessional, maybe even perform better. Disappointed. It doesn't keep my oil at bay for more than 3 hours maybe. I don't think it helps much with staying power either. The consistency is like a thin lotion, doesn't even feel like it'll do what it's made to do.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I've used and repurchased this product. I have EXTREMELY oily skin and I generally have to use a primer, a mattifyer, oil blocker, a setting powder, and sometimes more to get my makeup to last more than two hours. Don't get me wrong, I still had to use all of those things but using this primer my makeup had a lot more longevity. I'd only have to blot once or twice depending on how long my day was. I use this in conjunction with MOM, and monistat chafing gel. I'd recommend this product for anyone with oily skin!

on 1/13/2017 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

One word...holy grail. I live in a tropical country and needed a good primer that will mattify my foundation. It does what it claims to do. My makeup lasted all the day and looked the same.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This has become my holy grail primer. It keeps my makeup fresh ALL day! This is s must have product for me.

This primer doesn't really glide across your skin smoothly, it has a sticky/thick feel to it. I think it did help my makeup last longer than it normally would, but the feeling it had on my skin was like wiping stick glue on my face (even though it comes in a squeeze container, it just has the same consistency as stick glue)

It's the first primer that I ever used, so I didn't really know what I was up against until I tried something else. It works, if you're looking for something less creamy or moisturizing then this is definitely a good product for you. It didn't break me out or damage my skin at all, it just wasn't the type of consistency I wanted.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Great primer. First I've used the brown tinted primer by Rimmel; stopped using because it was smelly and broke me out. One day in WalMart I saw it, purchased, and fell in love. Nice and light. A little thick. A small, tiny squirt covers my entire cheek. I use it on my eyelids. Not greasy or smelly at all. So far no breakouts -- it's all good.

on 6/20/2013 11:40:00 AM

I have only used this once so far, so I don't know how accurate my review will be, but I already love it. The first time I used it I also used a bb cream and I was outside all day. Typically my skin becomes very oily and if I touch my face outside my makeup will come off on my fingers. Not a good look. However, when I used this, my makeup lasted way longer than usual and did not come off on my fingers! I also did not get as oily as I normally would have. It was very different from any other primers I have used. Any former primers I have tried have come out in a clear, gel like form that felt slippery on my face. This one comes out in a white lotion form, and it blends very easily into your skin (however, I applied moisturizer and then directly after that applied the primer). If you wait for your moisturizer to dry/sink into your skin then the primer may not apply as easily for you. I didn't sense any weird smell from the product, and if there was one it disappeared upon application. One of the main ingredients in this is kaolin, which is in a lot of purifying face masks that oily skinned people may use (Or at least I know it is in the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque). So I believe this primer is definitely best if you have combination/oily skin- if you have any dry patches you will more than likely not like this primer. Although if you have dry skin I don't know why you would pick up a shine controlling primer! :)

This was definitely nothing special. I was dissapointed after finally tracking it down (online). I've heard so many raves from oily skinned girls for this primer & yet it did nothing to control my pizza-face. My pores weren't minimized, it didn't prime my skin (foundation actually looked really cakey), & the texture was disgusting. Black Radiance Complexion Perfection primer felt very tacky & heavy on my skin. In turn, I had to use a lot more powder to set my make up.

Will not repurchase. I currently like Nuetrogena's Shine Control primer.

on 4/19/2013 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this product. It keeps my t-zone oil free for about 2-3 hours. After that I'm blotting. It's a good beginners product though.

Popular Primer/ Correctors