Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Dark-Circle Eye Roller

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Dark-Circle Eye Roller
SkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Dark-Circle Eye RollerSkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Dark-Circle Eye RollerSkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Dark-Circle Eye RollerSkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Dark-Circle Eye RollerEye Roller

3.9

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I tried this after watching a youtube video where it was raved about. I was able to use a few coupons while on sale at Rite Aid so I thought it was worth trying out. I am so glad I did!

First of all, lets talk price here, because when I first was how much it was I thought it was pretty expensive for a drugstore product. But, let’s compare to some similar products, shall we?

-Bobbi Brown tinted eye brightener is $38 for .05 oz = $760/oz
-YSL Touche Eclat is $33 for 0.1 oz - $330/oz
- L'Oreal Visible Lift Under Eye is $12 for .05 0z = $240/0z
-Maybelline instant age rewind double fade perfector is $7 for .09 oz = $77.78/oz
- Almay Bright Eyes Duo Eye Base + Concealer is $9 for .22 oz = $40/oz
-Garnier anti-dark circle roller is around $12 for .5 oz = $24/oz! That’s cheap! (and I purchased it for much less then this with a combo of a sale, rite aid coupin & a ganier coupon found online)

This is not to say that these are all equal products, but having tried most of these, they are all similar in that they are under eye concealers/brighteners with a light consistency and a brightening affect. But now that we’ve compared all these, we can really put this into perspective.

So now onto the actually product review:
This is a lightweight under eye brightener. It is very thin in consistency, making is easy to blend in and smooth out, but it still gives a sheer coverage. I have very dark under eye circles, and for me under eye concealer is a necessity. The applicator is unique in that you use a metal roller ball – similar to that of a roll on perfume – to apply it under the eye. I then tap lightly with my finger and bend. It gives a slight sheen that really brightens the are making it look much improved. The roller is cool to the touch, and feels surprisingly nice when you apply.

In terms of wear, it can have some slight creasing if I apply to much, but it surely isn’t bad when it happens. usually, it doesn't crease at all. It can be built up if necessary, but I would let it dry between layers so it wont crease because once it dies it's fine. It can be touched up throughout the day without caking up. It does last all day for me. On days when I am really tired I still might use a corrector under this, but on most days it is enough for me, and like I said, I feel I have pretty dark under eye circles.

What I also love is how natural this looks. I can wear this and no other makeup and you wouldn’t be able to tell. It seems to just blend right in. It isn’t full coverage, but it works to also reduce redness. I sometimes bring it down the sides of my nose and cheeks to reduce redness. I have eve used it as a concealer in a pinch with surprisingly decent results. I loved this so much I went and bought one to put in my purse and one back up, It has truly become a staple! I can’t imagine how long it will take to use it up, considering the generous amount of product you get. I also think that because of the packing that you wont waste a lot. A lot of the other brighteners I mentioned have very faulty packaging in that you will never get to use every last but unless you break it open.

Now, I know this review is getting long, but I must touch on one more thing: the claims. Take these with a grain of salt. This claims to be a moisturizing eye treatment and a concealer in one containing “caffeine gel, lemon essence and mineral pigments” which in conjunction with the roller ball is supposed to “energize and stimulate micro-circulation” (whatever that is) “brighten and instantly correct dark circles.”

Ok, so, moisturizing – I don’t really think so. I still use Olay Regenrist serum (the regular is the same as the eye, by the way, so don’t by both) underneath. I don’t feel like it can adequately replace that. The roller ball feels great, but I don’t know that it does anything else. That part seems like a gimmick to me. As for caffeine, from what I understand, it isn’t really proven to do anything. And lemon essence, or lemon extract as it is on the ingredients list, I don’t think this does anything good. In fact, according to beautypedia.com’s dictionary, it is a possible irritant. (however, I don’t have any issues with sensitivity) As for the other ingredients: water, silicones (cyclopentasiloxane, PEG10) and other ‘slip agents’/emollients are all good things to be desired. Minerals include talc (which is fine, by the way) and not much else, but I think they just throw the mineral part in there because we are trained to believe that mineral = good for the skin. It does have alcohol listed as the 3rd ingredient, which is something I would avoid normally, as it can be damaging to the skin, especially such sensitive skin around the eye.

Also, the color selection, while is fine for me, is really lacking. I don't know how this will work for you dark skinned girls. I also would be even happier with it if it contained an SPF, which might actually do something beatifical for the area unlike a lot of the crap they threw in here.

In all, this is a great under eye coneaclear, but not a great under eye treatment. I does have some ingredients that are concerning, and it sort of a gimmick. All that aside, for what it does to improve my overall look makes it a product I highly recommend it.

*** I just want to update and say I am still loving it. It's been months and I've barely made a dent. I have been paring it with a thicker/creamer concealer for more coverage, and I have not seen any reducing in the darkness over time like it claims - but no moisturizer will.

This is sooo great for over forty women with drier, crepier under eye area. It covers so well and never creases. It also never gets cakey or dry. Try applying it by tapping it in and then reapply if needed. This is the best under eye concealer I have ever used. I have moderate dark circles with light skin. The color of the original one is perfect. I think its the color that makes it so perfect. The color is peachy and perfect! Love!

on 8/19/2012 10:31:00 PM

I feel like a deranged super hero, on an never ending quest to combat my arch nemesis under eye circles.

Seriously, my mom gave me alot of things, gorgeous hair, flawless complextion, big dark eyes. She also went ahead and passed along her horrible under eye circles. The kind of circles that leave me with three choices in the morning. Sunglasses, Full Makeup, Or spend an entire day recieving sympathy and the well wishes of people who hope I feel better soon. So my story with this product goes as follows..
1.) Reading a magazine, hmm under eye roller.. Pfft as IF.
2.) Wandering through store, hmm there's that roller thing, looks stupid.
3.) Back at store, okay maybe I will try it..
4.) No way its to expensive, it isn't going to work..
5.) Okay I am going to try it..KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE!..
6.) -glances nervously- I hope no one saw my fist pump..
7.) Okay here we go..-applies it-
8.) -Blends it and sets it with a dab of powder-
9.) Wow, really?
10,) Hey, wow..really?
11.) -goes outside for the first time in years with no sunglasses, no full makeup, and get told how pretty I look "natural" by multiple people.
12.) SUCCESS! My mission is complete!

In summary I love this product, I happen to be lucky and it matches my skintone, I could definately see how some people might not have that experience with it. The coverage is pretty sheer though and easily blended. I do set it with a light powder. All in all I will definately repurchase so I can use it on days when I just want to run to the store without spending 45 minutes in front of my mirror combating dark circles with 5 different products and turning myself into a human optical illusion.

One warning, do not expect the roller ball to just flawlessly roll it onto your skin. That would be awesome, but really I just tap some product there with it and blend with my fingers.

Also I can wear it all day with no touch up, however it would be super easy to reapply and fix up if needed because its such a light layer!

As long as they make it, this will be in my makeup box..

on 3/24/2011 7:39:00 PM

To start off: I have darker than average, heriditary dark circles. Adding onto the genetic factor, I am a high-strung university student who does not get very much stable sleep. Put those two factors together and we are talking bad, bad things here. Normally, I would use a THIN layer of Benefit's Erase Paste after my foundation and then Bobbi Brown's Creamy Concealer on top of that. Needless to say, that is a VERY pricey combination, but it worked well to conceal and brighten my undereyes. So why stray? The combination is destined for creasing and if I wear eye make-up, it WILL somehow throughout the day, smudge under. I always set with Benefit's Powderflage or LM's Secret Brightening Powder by the way.

Enter: Garnier Anti-Dark-Circle Roller. It has taken the place of my Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer! Thank goodness because I have a brand new pot of the old formulation which I want to savor for my blemishes (heard the new formula was subpar compared to the old formula). Anyway, this really does help brighten and keep my undereyes looking a little less dreadful. Even if I was in a rush, I could skip Erase Paste and solely use this to brighten up the undereyes. The formula is SO nice. I always shake the product prior to applying and roll it under my eyes. I then use my ring finger to pat it all around my undereyes, using the triangular method (everywhere above the cheekbone basically). The best thing is that this does not crease nor cause my eye make-up to smudge.

Because I purchased this for around $12 on sale, I rated this a 1 in dirt cheap. I'm sorry, but please tell me the next time you find an eye brightener/concealer for $12 that is 15 ml (HALF the size of a FOUNDATION!), and works as well as this does. Amazing value for what it delivers!

Love this. I always see it on sale, so try picking it up then! HTH :)

on 4/7/2016 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have a collection of concealers (over 20) to include cle de peau thats about $70.... How surprised was i when a friend of mine brought her roller over to my house to use for her makeup over... I actually "pffft" at it (im a makeup snob) but thank goodness she insisted on me using it bc HOLY SMOKES BATMAN ARE YOU SERIOUS? Obviously i ran out and bought one to try on myself an have been extremely impressed on sooooo many levels!

I have wrinkles under my eyes so everything usually creases but this did NOT!

I also have oily eyes so i thought for sure im going to have to cake this on for it to stay and i only end up using a sheer amount and it covers like a dream.

I have dark circles and this covers in one swipe!

Last reason why i LOVE this product; i have pores on my nose and under my eyes and after applying foundation i swipe some under my eyes down to my nose and i cannot believe the smoothness and coverage it leaves!!!

Get it bc you will not be disappointed!

on 1/23/2011 2:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this with no real expectations and hadn't even gone onto Makeup Alley to see what others said first. I had a coupon, needed a concealer and this was the one I chose. I have the opposite of puffy eyes...I have hollows under my eyes. Not horrible, but noticeable to me and it makes me look tired. Of course, I'm 50 and a workaholic, so most of the time I AM tired, LOL. Anyway, I got the last one of this at Walmart last weekend and have been using it all week. And...it's AMAZING!!! I cannot believe how this blends into my skin and fades the circles. And the roller ball is so cooling on my skin. And the BEST part for me and for other women of an certain age is that it does NOT settle into the fine lines of the eye. I do find that I have to reapply around lunch time and that's probably the only inconvenience with it. I really like this!! Kudos to Garnier...as far as I'm concerned, this is a real winner!!!

on 9/20/2013 2:38:00 PM

I didn't like this at all.It feels dry and sticky and doesn't cover much. and it's FULL of alcohol. What on earth is that stuff doing in a product for use under the eyes!?Alcohol at this level will dry out skin and cause collagen breakdown .You don't even have to FEEL or SEE the damage this amount of alcohol will cause , but believe me it's taking place under the skin's suface..One for the bin I think.

on 9/5/2010 6:06:00 PM

UPDATE: so this proved to be too dry for the Sahara-like skin under my eyes. I thought I'd have to get rid of it, BUT I found another use for it. It works beautifully as a primer. I love Smashbox's primer, but it's expensive. So I use this, instead. My e/s goes on beautifully and stays till I take it off. So this keeps its 5 stars.

Chalk me up among the enthusiasts of this prod. It's wonderful. The way they got the consistency just right (not too liquid, not too thick, not too creamy) is pure genius. It is NOT sheer. It does cover (and isn't it what it's supposed to do?), but does not settle into lines nor over-dry my already dry under eye area. It comes in only one shade in the USA, which is a tad too light for me. So I got my sister to send me a Medium color from Europe and it's perfect! I do recommend this.

on 2/20/2014 4:47:00 PM

Magic tube of goodness! Love the consistency of this product, as it goes on super-thin, covers well, but doesn't get caught in the fine lines around my eyes.

If I want more coverage, I do an extra layer or two and then top it off with Make Up Forever's HD Powder. The MUA powder sets this stuff beautifully and keeps my fine lines from causing creases. As I get older, I hate those tell-tale undereye cover-up creases far more than the dark circles I'm trying to hide away.

Extra tip - you may not want to bring this in your airplane carry-on. The cabin pressurization caused a bunch to leak into the cap. Didn't ruin the product or the tube, but was a bit messy & wasteful.

on 7/28/2010 12:09:00 PM

I have deep set eyes, hereditary dark circles & I don't sleep normally. I always use very pigmented concealers to cover my circles and yet they are still visible (due to the structure of my face). I bought this to use it at the beach and generally when I cannot have a full make up and I didn't expected too much, just a little coverage. But I was surprised with the results! This has covered my dark circles, I dare to say I got the same results I get from a more pigmented and heavier concealer (Artdeco camouflage, Malu Wilz Camouflage, Coverderm), but without the cakey effect. It is a very light, easy to apply, doesn't set in lines and really covers! I can't say if it's moisturising, because I'm using an eye cream underneath.