Homemade Olive Oil & Sugar Body Scrub

Filtered by skin tone : Olive

4.5

Now because I JUST, literally JUST used this scrub (for the very first time), I can't speak for long term consequences/results, though I can comment on the immediate:

I am sitting at home, Friday night, kid is asleep, husband working overnight, totally bored, reading about how to get rid of a bugger little ingrown hair I can't seem to shake. I run across an article stressing the importance of exfoliation to coax an embedded hair to the surface. One of the methods of exfoliation describe creating a scrub of olive oil and sugar. I have nothing to do. So I whip up a thick, olivey paste that resembles a store-bought scrub, minus the typical yummy scent :) It was a yellow-goldish-slightly-green-tinged hue, very pretty coloring actually, and smelled slightly fruity thanks to aromatic olive oil, and also smelled a bit bitter. Not so good, yet not so bad. Moving on...

First I prepared a few paper towels and hand towels for messes. Then I stood inside our whirlpool tub and, Using the wooden spoon I had used to initially mix up the scrub, I began to sort of paint it on to my body: arms, legs, feet, knees, bum cheeks, shoulders, etc. I even took the more olive oily/less sugary bottom of the bowl bit and gently massaged into my face (very scary, as I have very oily, acne prone, CYSTIC acne prone, skin at that). It coated my skins surface very thickly and felt very relieving to my congested pores. Kept on massaging it into my body. It felt really GOOD somehow. I exfoliate almost never (I know, terrible, shame on me!) so my skin really needed a good sloughing. In the worst way! The homemade scrub felt very silken and luxurious and of course, super moisturizing. And the abrasive aspect, thanks to the sugar, felt so good and almost relieving, like it was really exfoliating deeply and taking off all of my dead skin/built up sebum etc. The whole experience was very pleasing and the scrub itself, other than the lack of a fragrance, felt very luxurious and very similar to a store-bought skin care product. After giving it a good fifteen minute rub across my whole body, and using a loofah all over to really capitalize on the exfoliating mission, I rinsed with tepid water, ran a bath and filled the tub with warm-ish water and a bath salt (Village Naturals, an inexpensive drugstore brand) containing Epsom salt, Dead Sea salt and Vitamin E, as well as containing lavender oil, chamomile extract, clove leaf oil, eucalyptus oil, menthol and lemon peel oil, all of which felt super good and soothing after my scrub as well as having healing properties to boot. Bonus! I had a brief soak, washed very well with a gentle body wash (Ivory soap so as not to over-apply product to my skin) and rinsed. Oh and for my face, I washed with PanOxyl cut with Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleanser and applied a sulfur mask to deep clean my face. I let the mask dry while I washed & rinsed my body.

Immediately after bathing, the skin on my face in particular looked and felt really smooth and dewy and youthful. I loved it. My skin felt moisturized and super soft. I FEEL cleaner, even though I of course shower daily, I just felt like a good exfoliation did the trick. Now I'm feeling sleepy. I'll update in a day or two if inexperience any adverse consequences, ie breakouts, cystic acne flare-up etc. hope this helps! Give it a shot. At free of charge it's the definite way to go ladies.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

The Brown Sugar scrub, a favorite since my teens. I do not like to use Olive oil though I find it too heavy. I'd rather no oil at all or jojoba oil, but that is too expensive, so I use Coconut oil, but only when using it on my body. When using brown sugar I like to use it straight on my face, when I can't use the aspirin mask (DO not overdo it with the asprin mask friends. You will be sad and sorry) which depends on the time of the month. I find the asprin mask good for the times when my skin is not sensitive and reactive, at the mercy of my hormones. Of course, there are enzymes in brown sugar similar to Glycolic acid, but its NOT glycolic acid, if it were chemically the same I wouldn't be able to use it...so lets debunk the myth that lemon juice+ brown sugar=glycolic acid. Close..but not the same.