Coty jovan white musk

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/14/2016 11:00:00 AM

I've gone through many bottles of this reliable drugstore oldie since it came out in '92. It's soft, cuddly, and fresh (but not sharp and metallic, as some white musks can be). In fact, I continue to wear it often even though I associate it with a disgustingly chauvinistic manager I had 20 years ago who used to sniff the air around me and sigh, "someone has her party perfume on today!" while looking me up and down. GROSS. But the fragrance itself is anything but!

The original White Musk ads emphasized that the fragrance was meant to evoke "the delicacy of the white mallow blossom." Indeed, though the scent is honeysuckle-powdery rather than vanilla-sweet, its ethereal, pillowy gentleness does kind of remind me of marshmallows. I love this all the way through the dry down, which smells like warm skin on the sun and has the tiiiiniest hint of patchouli as well, adding an earthy naturalness.

Unfortunately, although the scent itself hasn't changed with the switch in ownership from Jovan/Quintessence to Coty, the cologne strength has become much weaker, requiring one to douse clothing and skin every 3-4 hours. To get around this, I buy the "cologne concentrate" spray rather than plain cologne. It lasts as long as the original cologne once did. This used to be sold in a pulse-point oil as well; I bet that was magnificent!

on 3/29/2016 2:43:00 PM

I went to the drug store today to pick up a prescription and on the way out i walked by the fragrance stand and i saw this sitting at the top and gave myself a good dousing of this fragrance. I figured it was a perfume that came out in the 70's but am surprised to see it came out in the 90's. It's not that bad actually. It is the first time i have seen or heard of it. I like it. At first i instantly thought that it smelled of hairspray. I mean that in a good way. I remember my mom back in the 70's used Aquanet hairspray and it smelled so good and this fragrance reminded me of that. Later on i tried to identify some notes and i said to myself "honeysuckle" and when i get home to check the notes i see honeysuckle is a note in this fragrance. I love it when i can identify notes in a scent so easily. Jasmine too. Nice shower fresh, clean, scent. Nice and powdery too.....little lemony maybe. Cute little scent. Lasting power is very good and so is sillage. Just goes to show you dont have to spend a hundred dollars to get a good fragrance.

on 12/30/2015 2:13:00 PM

This is what I wear when I don't feel like thinking about how I want to smell. It always comes of as light, unobtrusive, fresh & clean - yet with a solid edge to it, like hey I'm wearing this old-ass '70s perfume I got for $12 at Target. But it's more than that, there's something about it that appeals to more than just my nose. The musk is there, close to the skin and honestly very sexy. If you think the idea of high-waisted jeans is hotter than the actuality of them, and have a tendency to put beyond-retro nuanced thought behind many of the choices you make in scent, hair, makeup, clothes - this might be right up your alley. (I hope you understand what I mean beyond the obvious 1970's references. I can't think of any other way to explain it.)

I love the bottle: it's sturdy glass, simply pretty in its design, and sprays generously. I douse myself in this as it's light (and cheap) and it's like I'm a nose magnet.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Love this scent. My mom wore it a lot while I was growing up in the 90s. I eventually started to steal her bottle and wear some while in high school. I'm almost 30 now, and still love it. The scent takes me back to more innocent times.

Most of the perfumes I own are extremely expensive, but this old cheapie does the trick. It's a light musk that doesn't overpower as I walk into a room. It's also nice to put on before bed. It's very lovely and I will always have a bottle on hand!

on 7/21/2014 12:50:00 AM

No child of the 90s was without a bottle of this perfume. I picked some up a while back, it's every bit as nice as it was back then. Only now, I don't have to be home at 9! It's not going to be as amazing as Chanel, nor as ghastly as a Designer Imposter. But when you want a pleasantly sweet for a low key day, this is nice.

on 11/10/2015 11:24:00 AM

i have worn this scent for over 20 years and people always tell me it smells like a nice warm hug. i love this stuff i wish it came as a oil roll on though

on 8/24/2013 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

On this warm August day, I went to CVS this morning to pick up a prescription -- and I was wearing Bond No. 9 Fashion Avenue, which is a baby-soft mimosa scent. I have several Bonds, which I bought from etailers for **much** less than retail, but even still, my Bonds were a big splurge for me.

And then it happened -- somebody walked by who was wearing something much *cheaper* that smelled so awesome, it gave me perfume envy. A young lady whooshed past me -- leaving a trail of Jovan White Musk (definitely; I didn't need to ask). And she smelled absolutely **awesome**, and it made me really appreciate how wonderful Jovan White Musk is.

I've always loved musks in general, since back in the 70's in college. Jovan is the best of the white musks, in my humble opinion -- better than The Body Shop's white musk perfume oil, & better than any other etailer's or other white musks I've smelled (although I do think Nemat White Musk Oil is awfully nice too -- very soft & smooth & mellow).

I've always loved both Jovan Original Musk and Jovan White Musk -- equally -- and they both always turn my head in public. They're each so "my-skin-but-better" -- they meld & merge with natural skin's scent, and they just get warm and delicious -- it's hard to tell where the perfume ends and the natural skin scent begins; they become one with skin so magically.

A tall spray bottle of Jovan White Musk is only about $20 and can easily be found at Walmart and most drugstores -- and it's just a great scent -- fresh & clean, yet warm and natural. The sprayer itself unfortunately tends to blast everywhere like a fire hose, but it's a tall bottle for easy storage and clear, so you can see how much you have left. Good strength, lasts well.

Fragrantica says this: "This is clear, a warm and purely feminine fragrance. Jasmine, ylang-ylang, and honeysuckle blend with sensual musk and amber."

Parfumo.net says it came out in 1992 and lists the notes as "Amber, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Musk, Ylang-ylang." (1992? - can that be right? I could have sworn that it came out much earlier than that!)

I've read that Trisha Yearwood and Kristen Bell have worn (maybe still wear?) this scent. This is a great staple for any perfume collection, and I catch whiffs of it a lot when I'm shopping. It's a good daily casual go-to scent -- also good for offices, medical settings, meetings. It's inoffensive, safe, warm, & natural-smelling -- and it's just really good!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This seemed like a perfume I would get all throughout the nineties. I remember it lasting forever with just a couple of sprays. I loved it subtle spicy and beachy notes. I put off purchasing this for a long time because its price kept going up every year and I remember this stuff being dirt cheap. I finally caved and spent the $20 to buy the 3.25 ounce bottle (yes, I know it's not a lot of money, but I'm cheap) and was a little dissapointed. The same fragrance I remember, but it has no where near the lasting power it used to. I just keep it in the bathroom now and use it right when I come out of the shower enjoying the fragrance while it lasts. I probably will repurchase if only for nostalgic reasons. I miss the nineties.

on 9/10/2013 8:17:00 PM

I'm in a musk period right now. I am on a hunt for the right smelling musk and remembered 'Jovan White Musk' - so I picked a bottle up today. I really wanted to like this but I could not get the following scent out of my brain: bug spray. That's what I smell. It's almost astringent and dirty and I don't even get the powdery scent. I waited all day to see how it would settle into my skin and unfortunately, I am still thinking of 'Raid.' Too bad.. I'm going to try a higher end brand next.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Man. It took me a long time to figure out this fragrance. When I very first began my journey into musk scents, I leaned towards some with more of a vanilla-ish edge. I used up an entire bottle of Bonne Belle's Skin Musk before I decided to try something new.

My first white musk fragrance purchase was The Body Shop's white musk perfume oil. It's just LOVELY. After the soapy/edgy top notes are gone, I'm left with the most pillowy soft fragrance that envelops my entire body. However, I hear TBS's white musk perfume or body spray is not quite as nice. I set out to find a cheaper alternative to pair with my beloved oil.

Enter Jovan White Musk. I actually tried this on once at CVS while shopping several months ago an thought it was far too powdery to work with. That was before I found my appreciation and love for white musk. Last week I was at Walmart and just went for it. I purchased a 2oz bottle for $13. What a steal! I took it home and layered it with my body shop white musk oil.

Success! It smells beautiful. It definitely has a sweet side, and I feel can be worn by anyone of any age (im 21) who wants a snuggly, clean scent.

Im giving this only 4 lippies because i wish it lasted a bit longer. But for $13, its not too much of a burden to buy more.

tip* - try this stuff on right before you go out in the heat. When it warms up, I get whiffs of it. So heavenly.

Try them both. You will love them!

Popular Fragrances