Chanel Chance Eau Tendre

4.3

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I love this fragrance. I always held back because of the price, but I finally relented when my Marc Jacobs Eau So Fresh ran out.
I'm not sure why it's considered a "young" fragrance. Even if I were in my 60's I would wear this. Why do old people and young people have to smell different, anyway?? Shouldn't everyone, regardless of age, smell "pretty"?
The sales lady told me "men love this", and of course I fell for it, LOL

Eau Tendre will go down in history as the "Pink Chanel." Chanel finally commits to the fruity/floral market with this latecomer that has very little to do with its progenitor. Eau Tendre makes me suspect that Eau Tendre is less inspiration and more the perspiration of pouring over just which fruit note sells and how much sugar must be added to the mix; the scent has obviously been made to appeal to a market younger than that of Chance's second flanker Eau Fraiche.

Chanel has made a delicate, pale-hued citrus floral that makes blushing virgins out of both grapefruit and jasmine. Everything has a modest quality to it, from the thin glaze of grapefruit at the top to the
angelic, non-indolic jasmine in the heart. The musk is a perfect oval at the bottom, mostly obfuscating an interrupted amber note. Cedar is a pleasing woody touch until it too is snipped, leaving room only for musk and remnant jasmine. At base level, the fragrance smells synthetic and unfortunately "modern," continuing to blur the line between personal fragrance and airliner lavatory. This is a terrible trend and someone ought to march against it, except that such an organized protest would be futile, since the stuff sells so well.

Surprisingly, the grapefruit note holds quite well and the floral notes do not. Eau Tendre has a brasher counterpart in La Vanilia Vanilla Grapefruit; if you liked the latter, you'll like Eau Tendre. Although Eau Tendre shares little with Chance, it does have (and is not openly admitting) to, the original's vanilla, dabbed through iris. Missing is Chance's sticky patchouli, which, in concert with vanilla, defines Chance for me.

Chanel hasn't reinvented the wheel here, but I am going to offer that they have improved it. Fruity-florals as a rule now seem to be in competition with one another for being the sweetest (Escada, which has the onus of an annual competition with itself), the stickiest, and the muskiest, and here Chanel has shown restraint. You won't want to jab a swizzle stick into Eau Tendre or to pour it over ice cream, but it may leave you baffled as to its birth family.

continued >>

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

While Christmas shopping in 2012, I was walking through Belk's perfume dept and caught a whiff that spun me around and made me backtrack. Whoa, something smelled *so* lovely -- I had to find out where that beautiful light whiff had come from. Not merely pretty -- it had a subtle sensuality about it also. Mmmm!

There was a tester of Chanel Chance Eau Tendre (= French for "soft", I believe) sitting on the counter on a stand -- that was it! I sprayed some on, then went to Books A Million -- and the young female cashier who checked out my coffee told me that I smelled soooo good -- so I volunteered the name of the perfume to her, since I could tell she was dying to know but was too polite to ask.

I have seen Chance Eau Tendre on Sephora's best-sellers shelf in third place (behind Flowerbomb and Viva La Juicy) -- and for awhile now, Eau Tendre has been the only version of Chance that our Belk's now sells. Eau Tendre must sell very well -- maybe even better than the original Chance or Eau Fraiche versions? I don't know, I've never heard any statistics -- but it seems to be quite popular.

Eau Tendre launched in 2010, and according to parfumo.net, its notes are:

Top Notes: Grapefruit, Quince (a fruit between apple & pear)
Heart Notes: Hyacinth, Jasmine
Base Notes: Amber, Iris, Musk, Cedarwood

This smells nothing like the original Chance, it's a completely different scent. To me, it's a very sheer fruity-floral -- delicate and breezy -- ethereal -- very feminine -- and it smells like its color -- which is a delicate pink.

It's airy, dewy, fresh, watery, and smells almost melony, in a way (ie, delicately fruity -- might that be the quince note?). It makes me think of a ballerina. Or a blush -- a shy blush. Vaguely takes me back to the 70's, but I don' t know which scent from back then it reminds me of.

In spite of being light, sheer, & wispy -- and an EDT strength -- it's actually quite strong and tenacious. I don't know how Chanel managed that, but they did. Be careful, it can be oversprayed -- and it lasts very well.. In my humble opinion, this fragrance would work on women of any age -- any season, any occasion. It's just a very pretty, light, inoffensive fragrance -- and it's sensual too.

ADDENDUM 6/18/15: I was gifted Marc Jacobs Daisy "Eau So Fresh" for Mother's Day, and I'm wearing it now -- and to me, Eau So Fresh smells similar to Chance Eau Tendre, but it's brighter. Bond No. 9 Madison Square Park (pink bottle) smells similar to Eau Tendre also IMHO, but the Bond is also brighter -- and stronger (all Bonds last like crazy).

All three scents are in the same basic wheelhouse, to my nose, but IMHO Eau Tendre is the smoothest, softest, most cohesive, most sensual, and the nicest. For me, it's a very calming, soothing, soft, dainty fragrance. Good anytime, but I'm finding I enjoy it most in warm/hot summer weather.

I've never purchased Chanel before because of the price and because I never liked any of the original Chanel's. But I tried Chance Eau Tendre just for fun while at the fragrance counter. I liked it. A lot. Even though it was terribly expensive, I bought the Eau Toilette and the corresponding body lotion. Happy early birthday to me. :-) This is an amazing fragrance. It's light but seems to have staying power. I could smell it the next morning. I couldn't smell it a lot, but it was there. I layered the samples I tried so perhaps that helped. I smell fruitiness, floral (especially Lily of the Valley) and even vanilla in this scent with slight musk added. That may not be the "ingredients" at all but it's what my nose detects. Usually vanilla is a fragrance I save for winter. But this is light enough, it works. This fragrance is fresh and clean smelling as well without leaning towards that "soapy" smell. I consider this a delightful and pleasant scent for ANY age. I plan on wearing it during the day when lighter scents are more appropriate. I recommend this.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

First off, let me say that I am NOT a professional perfume expert who knows all of the different terms and all that, so if my review isn't professional enough for you, I apologize :/

This is my every day, "signature" scent... I have gone through at least 3 large bottles... Usually I get tired of a "signature scent" over the years and turn to new scent, but this is the longest I've been in love with a fragrance.... It's just too gorgeous. It makes me smile just spraying it on. And the dry-down is so soft and sweet and deep, when you catch a "whiff" of it on your clothes from the previous night, it is just HEAVENLY. I've smelled the other Chance collection, and they were too harsh, or too "green" for my preference. This is sweet but not sickeningly sweet and not cheap-sweet- It is a very grown-up fragrance, but don't get me wrong-- it's not TOO grown-up... It's definitely not an "old lady/grandma' scent. I cannot count how many times random people on the street have commented on how nice and how fresh my scent smells. Most women will ask me what I'm wearing and then say "I'm going to buy that SOON"! I also had a guy at a Car Parts store checking my battery, and I was standing upwind of him while holding up my hood, and he said "You can stand right there all day long if you want, just so I can keep smelling whatever you've got on"... Haha! That was cute. I know that this scent won't work on everyones skin due to chemistry and everything., but this scent was MADE for me to wear :) It perks me up and makes me feel pretty. I often spray it on just before I go to bed, and it makes me feel nice :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

During a recent trip, I had a long layover at the airport and wandered into the Duty Free shop (something I rarely ever do). I had plenty of time, so I just wandered around smelling all the fragrances. I've never had a Chanel perfume before, but fell absolutely in love with Chance Eau Tendre! I walked around with the little paper sample stick glued to my nose until I was sure this was the fragrance for me. I purchased it in the little twist and spray (around $70) since I get bored of fragrances easily and love to carry around rollerballs or small bottles of perfume in my handbag. I really like this scent. The Chanel website claims that it has "Grapefruit, Jasmine and White Musk notes" and I do find it sweet-smelling, but not cloying. It's also a strong scent, but not overpowering. Perfect for day or evening.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I didn't think I could love a fragrance more than Chance Eau Fraiche, but then I tried this one.

Lovely, deep scent - lots of nuances here. I get the initial burst of citrus (but not so heavy on the lemon like the original Chance), and then jasmine and hyacinth, and then the drydown is lovely cedar, white floral, some spice and IRIS. Again, I love iris, so I'm totally sold on this fragrance.

This scent is warmer and heavier than Eau Fraiche - so it's working out pretty well for me that I have the Fraiche for Spring/Summer and the Tendre for Fall/Winter.

Excellent lasting power and medium sillage. I think it's really appropriate for work, too - several co-workers really like this one.

Highly recommended. I really always thought I would only be interested in the old classics from Chanel, but these newer fragrances are modern classics, in my mind.

I should begin by confessing that, as a fan of Chanel in general (who doesn't love that instantly recognizable logo that immediately conveys such style?), I've always wanted to wear a Chanel perfume - preferably No. 5 - because it just seems so glamorous.

But alas, for the longest time, I hated every single Chanel fragrance I smelled, even Coco Mademoiselle - found them far too strong and cloying, much to my dismay.

And then one day I opened a magazine insert for Chance Eau Tendre, not even really paying attention as I leaned in for a whiff because I fully expected to draw back with an, "Oouuf!" To my amazement, what I smelled was the most beautiful, light floral that just drew me in; I think I rubbed the scent off of that insert entirely because I sniffed it so much!

I ended up ordering a bottle from sephora, and let me tell you, I've not been disappointed! The fragrance on me is as lovely as it was in the magazine insert (good thing, I suppose); it's the lightest, whispery floral that's perfect for spring and summer (really, any time of year; it's a classic fragrance).

The bottle is, of course, to die for, and I love the fact that the perfume itself is pink. Fragrance whore that I am, I've got a tray full of various perfumes on the counter in my bathroom, but my Chanel bottle sits proudly on the vanity in my bedroom. As other reviewers have noted, there's something about it that just leaves you feeling fabulous....

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Lovely floral,soapy,dainty,pink perfume...
Quince,Grapefruit,Melon
Jasmine,Hyacinth,Iris
Cedar,Amber,Musk
Very Nice for Spring & Summer....

Quite nice, nothing too special. Smells EXACTLY the same as Marc Jacobs Daisy!!

Popular Fragrances