Avene Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+ (2010 FORMULA)

Avene  Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+ (2010 FORMULA)

Avene aqua, octocrylene, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, diisopropyl adipate, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol cyclomethicone, aqua, titanium dioxide, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, potassium cetyl phosphate, PVP/eicosene copolymer, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, cucurbita pepo seed oil, decyl glucoside, dimethiconol, disodium EDTA, parfum, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl dibehenate, hydroxyethyl acrylate/sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer, isohexadecane, polysorbate 60, propylene glycol, silica, sorbic acid, sorbitan isostearate, stearyl alcohol, tocopheryl glucoside, tribehenin, xanthan gum.

on 6/13/2016 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hey guys I LOOOVE this product! This review is for the cleance series. Ive tried so many differen sun blocks but they all break me out. This one doesnt:)
check out my blog to read my full review:))

on 5/6/2016 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

EDIT: I changed my review from 2 to 3 stars. The product was easy to apply when my skin was no longer dehydrated. (On vacation I bathed in extremely soft water, with low levels of chlorine and the dehydration disappeared.) However, my other complaints --oiliness, white cast, melting off with water -- still held true.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
It claims to be non greasy, have a matte finish, leave no white streaks, and have a water resistant formula.

It doesn't live up to any of those claims on my skin.

I followed the video tutorial on Avene's website to use the recommended amount and application method. Sadly, it was very sticky and tough to spread out without having to pull hard on my skin. I tried to pat it on as much as possible to avoid tugging my face, but this made everything splotchy. It left goopy white streaks all over which made my yellowish olive skin look ashy, sickly pink and gray. It also clung like mad to any dry patches of skin, making them itch and flake even more.

The sunscreen stays oily and shiny for up to 12 hours. And the worst part is that it melts away when in contact with water. I tried to wash my lips off after eating something a little bit messy, and when I looked in the mirror I could see a white milky ring around my mouth where the sunscreen had come off with the water.

A real shame as I can tell it really helped prevent my skin from darkening in the sun. I suffer from hyperpigmentation around the mouth and on my forehead -- a few minutes in the sun make the spots go gray, so much so that my sister used to tease me when we were kids by calling me Mikhail Gorbachev (google a photo of him and you'll understand). This sunscreen really did a good job of protecting those spots. Too bad the formula didn't work for me.

To Read all 27 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/5/2016 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been using this since I was a child and though I like it, it has some flaws.

1. I don't agree with the price at all. Avéne is a praised brand for skin, but the price isn't affordable for even the not-so-rich people.

2. It is hard to distribute to the face as it gets really thick and leaves your face with a faint feeling of oiliness.

Why I like it: It protects your skin pretty good and it is water resistant. Perfect for those beach days and summer days where you either go to the beach/pool or you just sweat after a hot day outside. It doesn't dry nor leaves my skin greasy and it is a good moisturiser too.

on 1/25/2016 3:44:00 AM

Thx Annqay for listed out the ingredients.

This sunscreen is close to perfect:

Uvasorb HEB for uvb protection. Tinosorb a for UVA II. Avobenzone for UVA 1. And tinosorb M for the longer wavelength in UVA 1. No titanium dioxide so safe for my acne prone face. No alcohol. Paraben free.

I tried both the cream and lotion versions at the store. Emulsion version is the least oily among all three of them

And why isn't it perfect yet? Water resistance. I intend to use it as daily city / work/ going out sunscreen, being water resistance is not only a waste but I need to put extra effort with oil cleansing to make sure I get rid of all of them every nite. And being only water resistance and not " very water resistance",this is not suitable for sweaty/ outdoor/ swimming activities. So, water resistance. Sit in the middle, useless for city daily use, not hardcore enough for outdoor activities. Why bother ? extra oil cleansing!

having said that, this is my HG sunscreen.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is a really great facial sunscreen. As someone with very fair, sensitive, acne-prone but dryish skin, facial sunscreens are really tough for me to find. For year I used Ti-Silc 60 SPF per doctor's orders - then to my horror it was suddenly discontinued! I immediately thought of Avene because once when I was in Paris, I bought a super high cream SPF made by this brand on a very sunny day and it stopped me burning. I've since re-bought the cream version of this but I much prefer the emulsion. I wear it daily, cloud or sun, and it doesn't bother my combo, oily t-zone skin at all. It seems to balance out the dry and oily areas of my face and it doesn't break me out. Nor does it allow me to burn. No detectable white cast, either. It's expensive and the pump tube is very annoying, but I've paid a lot more for sunscreens that are half as good. It's a keeper!

on 3/20/2014 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this sunscreen for a year and then I began trying new stuff but then I returned to this one when I had to go to a dermatologist to fix my breakouts and acne scars and he recommended this ss as I'm using AHA. But it left that stupid white cast that I looked like a ghost I hated how my face looked but then I tried mixing it with my moisturizer and voila it worked: No white cast and it blended well, also left my skin looking good. so definitely will keep using it. Plus I love the packaging it's not messy and easy to be applied.

on 2/2/2014 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It's non- sticky and has no white cast.

on 8/15/2013 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral

I've been using this sunscreen for the last weeks, therefore I am still a bit cautious with praise. But so far, I like it a lot.
The packaging is excellent, it does not leave a ridiculous white cast if you fail to rubbing it in _very_ carefully (La Roche Posay Gel-Creme SPF 50+, I am looking at you).
So far, my sensitive skin tolerated it quite well, only gave me two small bumps. But they can easily derive from something else, since I am quite prone to them.
In regards of the _matte_-effect: well... Compared to the above mentioned LRP Gel-Creme: not so much. At first I had difficulties with stickiness I don't have any longer. I assume, this is related to the weather, if it is too hot, it doesn't absorb that well. But maybe that's just me.

I have the version without perfume.

Another note: Obviously, Avene loves to play with our sanity and therefore changes the ingredients quite often. When I was searching for the currently available formula, I stumbled about at least five to ten different ones. All of them claimed to be up-to-date. And they, in part, even appeared on the different Avene websites which didn't really make the research easier.
So, either the sunscreen has different formulas all over Europe alone, or somebody messed up.

Anyway, here are the ingredients I found on my package:
AVENE AQUA. C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE. METHYLENE BIS-BENZOTRIAZOLYL TETRAMETHYLBUTYLPHENOL. WATER (AQUA). CETEARYL ISONONANOATE. DIISOPROPYL ADIPATE. ISODECYL NEOPENTANOATE. BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE. DIETHYLHEXYL BUTAMIDO TRIAZONE. ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE. BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE. POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE. DECYL GLUCOSIDE. ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER. BENZOIC ACID. CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE. CAPRYLYL GLYCOL. DISODIUM EDTA. GLYCERYL BEHENATE. GLYCERYL DIBEHENATE. GLYCERYL LAURATE. HYDROGENATED PALM GLYCERIDES. HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL GLYCERIDES.PROPYLENE GLYCOL. SILICA. SODIUM HYDROXIDE. TOCOPHERYL GLUCOSIDE. TRIBEHENIN. XANTHAN GUM.

on 3/17/2013 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have no idea how anyone abive an NC5 skin tone can wear this as an everyday sunscreen - I am on the fair side (neutral 20 in MAC parlance) and even on me it leaves me looking like a ghost. The recommended amount is 7 pumps. 7! My skin is in good shape - not perfect but pretty good - but if I use this at the 7 pumps I have to wear so much powder to cover it up that I might as well be wearing a mask. It does feel lovely & smooth, not sticky at all. I just can't get beyond the kabuki mask effect it gives.

In addition, it gets stuck in the pores on my nose in a way thats beyond unflattering. And weird as I don't have this issue with other SS or makeup.

Having said that it is excellent for a day spent outside in the sun - which is what it was made for, a day at the beach. But for everyday, not a chance.

on 11/7/2012 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tried it today and had to write about it! It's great I'm definately a picker when it comes to sunscreen(I read almost every review online to be clear) and ı loved it.I have oily fair skin which after 5 minutes of sun exposure gets spots and I tried bioderma and lrp but this is the best.It spreads easily, doesn't leave a white cast if you wait a few minutes and leaves you with a glow.Since my skin is very pale I loved it.Yeah it did get a little oily in the middle of the day but I didn't mind because it made my skin look so healthy.It' a keeper!