Avene Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+ (2010 FORMULA)

Avene  Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+ (2010 FORMULA)
Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+ (2010 FORMULA)

3.9

Avene aqua, octocrylene, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, diisopropyl adipate, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol cyclomethicone, aqua, titanium dioxide, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, potassium cetyl phosphate, PVP/eicosene copolymer, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, cucurbita pepo seed oil, decyl glucoside, dimethiconol, disodium EDTA, parfum, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl dibehenate, hydroxyethyl acrylate/sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer, isohexadecane, polysorbate 60, propylene glycol, silica, sorbic acid, sorbitan isostearate, stearyl alcohol, tocopheryl glucoside, tribehenin, xanthan gum.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

the only sunblock I ever used so... its really good I love it .

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For some reason this didn't give me enough protection! I apply this 30 mins before I go out yet my skin still gets red from the sun! And it's winter where I live!

Pros:
- Pump dispenser.
- Unscented.

Cons:
- Does not offer sufficient protection.
- Hard to blend.
- When I first apply it it doesn't leave a white cast, but later on they start to appear!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have only used this sunscreen once and had to wash it off due to the white cast. I am only light olive and it's Winter, but still, it made me look ghostly pale. It felt nice and matte but no. The packaging is nice enough and is functional. I will try to get a refund.

on 5/6/2016 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

EDIT: I changed my review from 2 to 3 stars. The product was easy to apply when my skin was no longer dehydrated. (On vacation I bathed in extremely soft water, with low levels of chlorine and the dehydration disappeared.) However, my other complaints --oiliness, white cast, melting off with water -- still held true.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
It claims to be non greasy, have a matte finish, leave no white streaks, and have a water resistant formula.

It doesn't live up to any of those claims on my skin.

I followed the video tutorial on Avene's website to use the recommended amount and application method. Sadly, it was very sticky and tough to spread out without having to pull hard on my skin. I tried to pat it on as much as possible to avoid tugging my face, but this made everything splotchy. It left goopy white streaks all over which made my yellowish olive skin look ashy, sickly pink and gray. It also clung like mad to any dry patches of skin, making them itch and flake even more.

The sunscreen stays oily and shiny for up to 12 hours. And the worst part is that it melts away when in contact with water. I tried to wash my lips off after eating something a little bit messy, and when I looked in the mirror I could see a white milky ring around my mouth where the sunscreen had come off with the water.

A real shame as I can tell it really helped prevent my skin from darkening in the sun. I suffer from hyperpigmentation around the mouth and on my forehead -- a few minutes in the sun make the spots go gray, so much so that my sister used to tease me when we were kids by calling me Mikhail Gorbachev (google a photo of him and you'll understand). This sunscreen really did a good job of protecting those spots. Too bad the formula didn't work for me.

on 5/5/2016 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been using this since I was a child and though I like it, it has some flaws.

1. I don't agree with the price at all. Avéne is a praised brand for skin, but the price isn't affordable for even the not-so-rich people.

2. It is hard to distribute to the face as it gets really thick and leaves your face with a faint feeling of oiliness.

Why I like it: It protects your skin pretty good and it is water resistant. Perfect for those beach days and summer days where you either go to the beach/pool or you just sweat after a hot day outside. It doesn't dry nor leaves my skin greasy and it is a good moisturiser too.

on 6/13/2016 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hey guys I LOOOVE this product! This review is for the cleance series. Ive tried so many differen sun blocks but they all break me out. This one doesnt:)
check out my blog to read my full review:))

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is a really great facial sunscreen. As someone with very fair, sensitive, acne-prone but dryish skin, facial sunscreens are really tough for me to find. For year I used Ti-Silc 60 SPF per doctor's orders - then to my horror it was suddenly discontinued! I immediately thought of Avene because once when I was in Paris, I bought a super high cream SPF made by this brand on a very sunny day and it stopped me burning. I've since re-bought the cream version of this but I much prefer the emulsion. I wear it daily, cloud or sun, and it doesn't bother my combo, oily t-zone skin at all. It seems to balance out the dry and oily areas of my face and it doesn't break me out. Nor does it allow me to burn. No detectable white cast, either. It's expensive and the pump tube is very annoying, but I've paid a lot more for sunscreens that are half as good. It's a keeper!

on 2/2/2014 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It's non- sticky and has no white cast.

on 3/20/2014 2:48:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I used this sunscreen for a year and then I began trying new stuff but then I returned to this one when I had to go to a dermatologist to fix my breakouts and acne scars and he recommended this ss as I'm using AHA. But it left that stupid white cast that I looked like a ghost I hated how my face looked but then I tried mixing it with my moisturizer and voila it worked: No white cast and it blended well, also left my skin looking good. so definitely will keep using it. Plus I love the packaging it's not messy and easy to be applied.

on 1/25/2016 3:44:00 AM

Thx Annqay for listed out the ingredients.

This sunscreen is close to perfect:

Uvasorb HEB for uvb protection. Tinosorb a for UVA II. Avobenzone for UVA 1. And tinosorb M for the longer wavelength in UVA 1. No titanium dioxide so safe for my acne prone face. No alcohol. Paraben free.

I tried both the cream and lotion versions at the store. Emulsion version is the least oily among all three of them

And why isn't it perfect yet? Water resistance. I intend to use it as daily city / work/ going out sunscreen, being water resistance is not only a waste but I need to put extra effort with oil cleansing to make sure I get rid of all of them every nite. And being only water resistance and not " very water resistance",this is not suitable for sweaty/ outdoor/ swimming activities. So, water resistance. Sit in the middle, useless for city daily use, not hardcore enough for outdoor activities. Why bother ? extra oil cleansing!

having said that, this is my HG sunscreen.