Silk Naturals 8% AHA toner

Silk Naturals 8% AHA toner
8% AHA toner

4.6

Ingredients: Distilled Water, Aloe Vera juice, Lactic Acid, Gluconoactone and Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bicarbonate 5/23/11

on 2/12/2017 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I got recommended this from the skin care board and I've been using it for over a month now so it's finally time for me to review it and I can't wait.

I freaking LOVE this stuff. Like it literally is saving my life. I really mean that. I had pretty bad adult acne and especially worse picking problems. Like "I won't leave the house out of shame" problems. Of course that's a separate beast, but finding bumps made it much harder to resist. I kept getting clogs and reactions to products (plus all the gross bacteria I introduced myself by picking and being dumb) and it was a whole vicious cycle. I tried many glycolic products, BHA, prescriptions, acne products etc. They did not work well for me at all, some even making me rash out worse.

I had been using Derma Doctors brightening cleanser which has lactic acid in it and I loved that. I was curious if a toner would help or hurt since I wasn't sure if I needed it or if it would be too much, but I gave this a shot anyway because of the relatively low cost and I just had to find out one way or another. I am so glad I did. It's not harsh for me at all and I'm pretty sensitive. I do notice a bit more 'heat' in the face like I had with Retin A, but I wear sunscreen every day and haven't burned or turned red. It doesn't make my sting or burn or anything upon application, unless I have a cut or a picked spot.

Another thing I love about this is that other medications and acids make my skin feel really weak, as in, if I pick after using them my skin is dehydrated and it bleeds and scars much easier and it's just all around more disastrous. I don't feel that way with this. I still have picked at a few whiteheads or pimples but there's definitely less coming up and they heal better. Many even extract better. I have heard you can have a slight purge phase with actives such as this, but I'm not sure I really noticed that too much since I have at least a few pretty much all the time, but this has definitely lessened the severity and improved the turn over and skin texture. People have actually started to say my skin is nice and clear which blows my mind. I know that if I could stop picking it would look even better. That's how good this stuff is for me in terms of what it actually does for my skin (then I go and ruin it because; me). But as a product itself, yes it's amazing and I will forever repurchase. Literal Holy Grail product above all others for me.

on 5/26/2016 4:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Big thank you to the Skin & Tonics blog for turning me onto this product. It's the just the right amount of chemical exfoliation for my skin with my current routine (which includes a Curology cream w/ tretinoin, azelaic acid, and clindamycin). I use this at night, after double cleansing and I feel like it's the perfect last step to really clean out my pores and prep my skin for my treatments. I love the fact that the ingredients list is short. I was a little worried a 4oz bottle (the largest available) wouldn't be big enough to really last, but using 1x a day I've only used about 1/4 of it in the last month. Anyway, great product, very economical, and the seller ships very fast!

UPDATE 8/2016: I switched to using the Nip + Fab glycolic extreme pads for a few weeks after I ran out of this and got lazy with reordering. Mistake. Despite the mix of acids (glycolic, lactic, mandelic, salicylic) my skin was beset by clogged pores and acne. Within a few days of switching back to this that all went away. So, lesson learned.

I found myself with super dry lizard skin this winter, and after doing a bunch of research on the best way to fix it, I landed on chemical exfoliation with lactic acid because not only would it help with my dry skin, but it might also have some anti aging benefits as well. If you're new to chemical exfoliation, this might be a good choice as lactic acid is least likely to cause irritation. I was thrilled to find something for $10. I've been using this for around 3 months, and it's gotten rid of my flaky patches and really improved my skin texture. It hasn't gotten rid of the sebaceous filaments on my nose completely, but there's definitely improvement. I'm coming to the end of my bottle, and am definitely going to repurchase.

on 5/2/2016 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

In theory this is a great AHA, but my skin doesn't like it. It didn't affect me negatively but it didn't do much positively either.

on 4/4/2016 3:46:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

This is a product that works well and is a really good value for what you get.

Pros
- Value for money
- Effective product: reduced blackheads, helped with skin feel and texture
- Lactic acid, unlike glycolic is something my super sensitive rosacea-prone skin can tolerate.
- Silk Naturals has fast shipping, great customer service, and a really great sample program
- Ingredients are limited, so it's good for those who have sensitive skin and are concerned with isolating potential problems

Cons
- Limited ingredients mean this doesn't have the most pleasant smell. Since it's fragrance-free, it smells like lactic acid. Fortunately, the smell doesn't linger.
- I had a definite purge period with this, and ended up with some minor breakouts, My skin now tolerates it pretty well as long as I use it only a few times a week. Right now, I use it on days when I don't use retionol and avoid putting it on the part of my cheek that tends to flare with rosacea. It hasn't ever actually triggered a flare, but I don't want to tempt fate.

Overall, I'm really happy to have found an AHA I can use without my skin freaking out.

on 2/5/2015 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This stuff is great. It's super gentle and an ideal choice for regular maintenence. It doesn't work like a chemical peel so if you're looking for faster, more thorough results I'd go for a proper peel. But as a toner it gently exfoliates and leaves my skin glowing. I usually use weekly peels and then this product nightly to maintain the results. My skin type is dry.

The price is amazing for the quality of this product. And my bottle has lasted me about 4-5 months with nightly use (perfect as it has a shelf life of 6 months). This will be a staple product for me.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

For reference, my skin is dehydrated-normal, acne prone, lots of red-purple acne scars/hyperpigmentation, uneven bumpy sandpaper-y texture, lots of flakes and occasional facial eczema (basically it's not very nice skin). I've had good luck with lactic acid in other products before. With daily use, I've seen an improvement in skin texture and with occasional chemical peels I've seen fading of my hyperpigmentation. Before using the Silk Naturals AHA toner I was using the St. Ives scrub-free exfoliating pads, but I switched because I wanted something stronger for daily use.

I've gone through nearly a whole bottle of this toner. It's in one of those bottles with those lids where there's a button to press down and then the other end opens. In my experience, these types of lids always store a tiny bit at the top so that when I open it product flies out immediately. I hold a cotton pad to the opening when I press down on the other side to capture the little burst of product so this isn't a big deal for me.

I use it after washing and drying my face. I squirt a little onto a clean muslin cloth and swipe it across my face. I wait about a half hour minutes before moisturizing/moving onto the rest of my routine. My skin is definitely less sandpaper-y, very close to not flaky at all, and my hyperpigmentation has improved. I've also gotten a lot less of those little tiny pimples.

As a side note, I do smell the lactic acid upon application since there's no fragrance added. I can't notice it after I've swiped my face with it. I actually prefer this since the St. Ives pads tried scenting to mask the lactic acid smell and just ended up smelling like overripe fruit and nearly made me gag.

Even though I've had a great experience with this product, I am somewhat concerned about ordering a replacement since the advertised pH is 3.5 while it tests at a 4.0. I am worried about the quality control and receiving a less-than-great product in the future so I have reservations about repurchasing and recommending this product.

on 12/18/2014 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

7/4/2015: The most recent bottle I received is nothing like the old formula. :( I don't know what happened. Suddenly this is too greasy and tacky on my skin. My skin can not tolerate this during the summer heat. I used this toner as my holy grail for over a year.........why do companies do this? If it's not broke, don't fix it.

SILK NATURALS HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME.
----------------------------------------
I've come to a verdict on this toner: I love it. In fact I went ahead & purchased another bottle right before finishing my first so I would never have to go any days without it.

For reference, my skin-type is: acne prone, rosacea, very photosensitive, super oily.

I personally *love* AHAs for giving my skin that smooth plastic look. Although I have had luck with glycolic acid and mandelic acid, lactic acid is the gentlest of the three. It's hard for me to find products that will control my oil or chemically exfoliate without upsetting my skin. This toner effectively does what I need it too, without leaving my face tomato red.

I don't think Silk Naturals gets enough credit for their products. This is a very affordable brand with well formulated ingredients. The ingredient lists are very short and simple, so you know exactly what you are putting on your skin (which helps you identify any triggers).

Edited to add: My second bottle got to me 3 days after ordering it. I am in TX at the moment, Silk Naturals is located in NY. o__O Hats off to the owner Karen. With all the holiday shipments going on that is very impressive. My first order originally got to me within days also. They always include a free little sample and a personal note, too. Now that is quality customer service.

Have been repurchasing this for years, besides plain rose and orange blossom waters this is the only toner I really like and will use. It actually made a difference in my skin, pores look smaller, tone more even. Such a great gentle exfoliant. I apply it every other night, prior to moisturizer.

This stuff is amazing. Absolutely HG for me. Keeps the bumpies and clogged pores at bay!!

I did lose my bottle and decided to see how my skin did without it. 2 weeks later, my face was so so clogged :( Now I always keep a backup in my closet!

I had tried glycolic acid in the past, but it was wayyy too harsh and drying for my skin. My skin does MUCH better with lactic. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but the glycolic acid molecules are very small. The lactic ones are larger. This means that the lactic acid will have a much gentler effect, as it cannot penetrate as deep, or something like that. BUT it is equally effective. Also, lactic acid also draws moisture into the skin, too! With this product, I don't even use a moisturizer (shh!).

The company is fantastic too. Very very fast shipping. It's always wrapped cute in tissue, the cap is sealed with tape and placed in a bag so no leaks, and you get free eyeshadow samples!

If you're looking to try this product, I would say start of slow though. Maybe every other night or every 2 nights and work your way up to nightly.

Love, love, love this stuff and silk naturals!