Almay Intense i-color in Black Emerald

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
No Image

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Ever since I can remember, companies have been releasing (and not long after, discontinuing) eye makeups tailored to amplify one's eye color. The entire concept had been kaput for a long time when Almay released their line about 10 years ago (I'm estimating). And I have to say, they've been doing a nice job. For years consumers have been told if you have blue eyes, don't wear blue shadow; if you have green eyes, don't wear green shadow, etc. And Almay blew that rule out of the water by using contrasting/complementary colors in their palettes and mascaras. Green mascara? But I have green/hazel eyes! I thought, scandalized. But let me tell you, somebody at Almay knows their color theory. This is NOT a green mascara. It is black, but it is a green black; just as there are blue-toned and brown-toned blacks. But as most green (or hazel) eyes are of a warm tone, this complements those eye colors because it is a "cool" green, with an almost-teal tone. It does not scream I HAVE GREEN EYES. This is Almay, not Illamasqua. What it does is bring out the green tones in my otherwise blah green/gold/grey/brown eyes. There is subtlety and finesse there. The mascara itself comes with a very large brush, and does not clump. It volumizes and lengthens. It's not the best mascara I've ever bought, but it's by far not the worst. The same goes for the eye shadows and liners. But for years, I've been returning to Almay for delivering what the Intense I-color products promise. What I find puzzling is that Almay does not have more of a cult following for this product line, because I can't think of another brand that does it better.

on 8/16/2012 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I got this mascara a while ago and even though it's been over a year since I finished my tube, I thought I'd leave a review. I originally bought it because it was 75% off at CVS and I wanted to try a colored mascara (well, even though there's just a hint of color). I have brown eyes rather than hazel, but for 75% off, I didn't care :P anyway, in normal lighting it just looks like a soft black (while on the lashes), but you could see the green in bright light. the color is soft enough that it doesn't clash with certain eyeshadow colors, but it provides just a hint of enhancement ;) I think I'd buy it again if it were on sale.