Tatcha Aburatorigami - Japanese blotting papers

Tatcha Aburatorigami - Japanese blotting papers

4.6

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

The oil production of my skin is unparalled, so these papers did not make the cut for me. I felt I needed to use between 3 and 5 (!) of these papers in one blotting session, this is after using both sides of each sheet, and blotting 8-9 hours after applying make up in the morning and working indoors all day. Maybe I am too used to using blotting papers that contain a layer of powder but I feel like these have a low oil absorbance rate, requiring me to use multiple blotting papers for one single area of my face (cheek, nose, or forehead). The papers are larger than most blotting papers in the market. The gold flecks are cute but otherwise useless IME. Would not repurchase. Might be good for faces without an oil well situation. I've had better luck with way cheaper options.

on 3/15/2016 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tatcha’s Aburatorigami Japanese Beauty Papers are wonderful. Definitely the best I have come across so far…and I have tried many from several different brands!

The papers are not powdery at all. They comprise of a very thin, semi-transparent type of material (like a cross between origami paper and a very delicate type of tissue paper). The paper contains gold flecks. Although thin and delicate looking, the papers are surprisingly strong and will hold up when blotting. When you blot an oily area, the paper will lose its colour and become translucent.

These beauty papers do a phenomenal job of absorbing oil without stripping your skin of its moisture. They also won’t ruin your makeup, and they leave no residue behind. They are larger in size than other blotting papers on the market, so oily-skinned girls like myself who would traditionally need to use more than one blot sheet to rid their skin of oil can get away with using just one.

One thing I experienced that I haven’t heard anyone else mention about these papers is that when I used them in a wiping motion instead of a blotting-type movement, the sections of the papers where oil had already been absorbed (e.g. the parts that had turned see-through) would rip and come apart. This has taken me some getting used to, as I tend to be conscientious to blot when I’m wearing makeup, but I do have more of a tendency to wipe blotting papers over my face when I’m not wearing makeup. Word to the wise, if you wipe these papers over your face instead of blotting, they will easily tear apart, and it takes very little pressure to rip them.

When I first purchased these papers I was concerned that the packaging was too flimsy and that it would disintegrate in my purse, but surprisingly the packaging has held up extremely well. However, because these papers are larger in size and square shaped, the packaging may not fit into the inside / side pocket of a small purse like a clutch.

These papers are expensive. In Canada, the price is $15.00 for a pack of 30. On the Tatcha website you can buy a box of 15 packs, and by doing so you’ll save roughly $30.00. I usually blot 2-3 times per day, so I’ll go through 2 packs of these beauty papers each month on average.

Because these papers are gentle and effective, I would definitely repurchase them despite the awkwardly large packaging and high price tag. I think they work extremely well and definitely deliver what they promise. I hate that they’re so expensive and hard-to-find in Canada, but nevertheless, I will continue to make the effort to order them online.

To Read all 20 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Words cannot even describe how much of a life saver these blotting papers are; I came across the Tatcha Aburatorigami blotting papers on a recent trip to Chicago early this month, as it was more humid than normal and sent my combination skin going haywire.
The packing itself- while absolutely useful, I just wished that it was in a more compact, harder surface so that the papers don't go flying around in my purse. Just make sure that you don't add any moisture anywhere near it or else it will ruin its efficacy. The papers themselves- absolutely amazing! I use medium coverage foundations and powder blushes (even at my recent trip), and it managed to get the oils off my face without removing any of the make-up I had applied. While it may be on the pricier side for many people, it is well worth the quality of the product. I will be definitely buying another set once my current one runs out.

While I hated The Ritual (it hurts us, preciousss!) I do love the blotting papers. Unlike many blotting papers, these don't have any powder added to them, so it's a clean, simply and delicate way to blot without leaving residue. I also don't find that they remove any foundation/powder when I blot, they just lightly absorb any shine and you can go on your merry way.

I've used Chidoriya's gold beauty papers in the past, but these are just as good (for me) and are slightly cheaper. I love the gold flecks, the small size and the delicate feel.

The packaging is okay, but not very convenient or sturdy; if you let it float around in your purse the papers might end up a bit the worse for wear. I've remedied this by transferring them into my tissue case from Chidoriya- it makes me feel even more elegant this way.

With temperatures hitting 105 degrees, blotting papers are an essential in my makeup bag. The packaging is elegant, but these are simply "okay" for removing shine and excess oil. At this price point, I prefer the Boscia blotting papers.

on 6/28/2013 4:24:00 PM

I am on my second package of these papers and I have to say they are simply the best compared to all the other ones I've used. They leave my makeup completely in tact, and doesn't "over dry" my face and leaving it completely one dimensional and flat. My skin is pretty finicky - it can get oily during the summer, but the oil sits on top of dry patches. When I used Clean and Clear blue sheets, I noticed that if I had slightly flaky skin, it makes the flakes look even more noticeable - and the same problem happened with Shiseido blotting papers. I've also used the Body Shop tea tree oil and find them too small and not oil absorbing enough. But with these blotting papers, they leave my skin looking radiant and not slick, and feeling soft, and not flaky.

As much as I love these, I wish they were more rectangular and portable, like the Clean and Clear papers, and a bit cheaper.

Best blotting papers I have tried. I have combination skin, (forehead gets super-oily) and live in warm/humid climate so I am constantly fighting against shine. I just gently dab my face with one of these (they are very large and you can use both sides) and it absorbs all the oily perfectly. Also, they don't contain powder, so they don't leave any chalky residue on skin. Highly recommend.

on 5/30/2013 3:16:00 PM

This is my first review... Let this be a positive one.
Honestly I looove these sheets. The packaging is beautiful, it looks like a little treasure (well they're not that small, actually they're quite big), to be honest I bought these because of the packaging. I don't use these too often, but when I use I always surprise how good they do the job. I prefer these over the MAC blotting film.

on 5/6/2013 1:32:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I had a chance to try one of these at Sephora and I jumped at it because I've been curious whether they were really very different from the $1.50 Daiso blotting sheets I use on a regular basis. The answer is, they're a little different: a little bit softer, a little bit less crackly, a little bit prettier, a little bit more absorbent. They're definitely not over 10x better at any of those things than the Daiso blotting papers so I won't be shelling out to use them regularly, but they're a pretty reasonable small luxury to tuck in my bag on occasiona when I want to look or feel a tiny bit more elegant, and I'll probably buy them for that one of these days when I need a treat.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I just don't understand the hype or the high price of these blotting papers. They work as well as any blotting papers I have tried but cost at least twice as much as even the most expensive I have previously used.

Yes, they blot away excess oil without messing up makeup or leaving behind powder and the little, cardboard envelope-type packaging is convenient. But this is my experience with all blotting papers as I have never previously purchased any that are coated in powder or come in large, awkward packages.

I like these, they're quite nice, but I won't buy again unless the price drops dramatically.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools