Chantecaille Le Stylo Liquid Eyeliner

No Image

4.6

on 11/17/2017 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for the Le Stylo in Black.

I used to be a MAC fan for liquid/gel eyeliners - Fluidline and Liquidlast were my teenage staples. And then, this time last year, I wandered into a Space NK in search of a liquid eyeliner with a thinner consistency for a change. The Le Stylo was exactly what I was looking for, so bear this in mind in case you're looking for a very graphic, opaque line. The resulting line is slightly transparent, understated and somewhat matte. In my view it looks very chic. This will not give you an inky, vinyl effect - that would be MAC Liquidlast.

The barrel is a slim, metallic, beautiful thing and so easy to handle. It really reminds me of the Chinese calligraphy pens I used to wield and you would pretty much manouvre the barrel the same way - with a light touch and fingers a few spaces apart so you have full control over the pen i.e. don't crowd all your fingers on just one area of the barrel.

The felt tip (and I'm usually not a felt tip fan) is nicely tapered and soft. It gives you a very fine line which you can build on. Once the liquid sets, it will not budge but there is a sufficient buffer period in case you want to smudge the line/make a correction etc. As such, I find this more forgiving than Liquidlast and is easier to handle if you're rushing to get your makeup on. What I tend to do is trace the line of the lid first and to create a wing, I take the edge of a finger nail and flick the drying liquid upwards and out at the corner of my eye. If I need more opacity on the flick, I will go over again with the pen. Et voila.

The lasting power is tremendous. It lasts and lasts, even on my oily eyelids sans primer. I have worn this for all-night events and it's the only thing I trust to not flake or fade (unless you rub your eyes/not allow it to set correctly).

I have not experienced any issues with the product dying up etc. but I am quite diligent in making sure I cap it as soon as I'm done with it.

Price-wise, this is quite dear but you really do get what you paid for.

on 8/14/2016 12:02:00 PM

I have the Le Stylo ultra slim in brown - perhaps I didn't get the right one, but so disappointed with this liner. It drags and the colour is really watery and does't seem to come out. It works fine on my hand, but put it near my eyes and it just doesn't do anything. Don't think it's me, I normally use pen style liners without problems. Such pretty packaging too, was looking forward to using it, but is an (expensive) dud for me.

on 2/16/2012 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm not skilled at applying liquid liners but this is easy to use. The tip is soft. The color never skips. If I put eye shadow over it (I only line the top lids - more flattering when you're of a certain age), it lasts pretty well. It's not waterproof but doesn't claim to be. I bought this in brown. It's a softer look than black but still gives definition. I like that it's a cool brown. Warm browns near the eyes are just not flattering to me.

on 9/26/2014 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Beautiful liquid pen and so easy to use. No tugging and true black that lasts all day. Price is a bit exxy in Australia but all makeup is here. Would rebuy again!

Update:
Okay so I gave this eyeliner another chance because it was such a waste not to use it. I gave it 2 lippies at first but now I've changed it to 4 because I actually like it now. LOL!! It applies much better over top of primed eyelids and eyeshadow. It dries fast enough so you don't end up having to wait for it to dry before opening your eyelids. It gives just enough color without smudging. It actually last all day long so I'm impressed with it. If I wasn't such a product junky who needs to try the next great product out there, I would definitely repurchase!!

**********************
I bought this because of the awesome reviews but it's really not that great. The color goes on almost watery without enough coverage. If you go over the line again it kinda disappears. It's expensive and I would expect more for the cost. I'm a gel eyeliner type of person but thought I'd try liquid liner but this was a disappointment. Hourglass's liquid liner is better but I was allergic to that one.

Only one word for this product: AMAZING! I'm so in love with this product! I'm a huge fan of Chantecaille products, but this one, I have to say, has impressed me! I Love the black eyeliner style, but usually, my line is too thick, or far from perfect...this Le Stylo Liquid Eyeliner is perfect for those that aren't too skilled! the tip is slim, and makes the perfect line, you can go very close to the lash line. You can build it up to a thicker line. It is precise, and long lasting. Another 2 thumbs up for Chantecaille!

on 6/28/2011 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Felt tip liquid liner pen in a true black color.
I was able to use this perfectly the very first time without any liquid liner experience whatsoever, and have been using it almost daily for the past few months. The felt tip is very easy to control and is moist enough to paint a solid line without drawing over the area multiple times (think of a new crayola marker). I much prefer this to potted gel liners because I can't be bothered with brushes and blotting on the back of my hand. This will fade by the end of the day on oily lids, so if that affects you I recommend using over powder shadow and/or eye primer. I am able to create a fast, natural line on the upper lash line to wear to my conservative office, but I also use it at night to finish smokier looks. For reference, I have fair, warm-toned skinned with light hair and green eyes

on 11/19/2011 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Very nice felt tip liner! Gives a true black that lasts all day. It's super pointy tip makes it perfect for getting right next to the lash line or dotting in between lashes (a skill I could never master with other liners.) To color tight with the lashline, you have to quickly lay the liner on an angle and move quickly along the line - from inside out. Unlike other liquid or felt liners, you can sort of smudge the line after to soften, if necessary. Also, I like to dot in between lashes on the inside, upper water line. Makes for a very nice, natural look. It comes in a greyish color too which I supposed would be a softer look on fairer skin tones.

on 6/19/2011 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Great black pen with a sheen to it that prevents it from looking tacky or heavy (ahem, MAC superslick for tacky and Lancome artliner for heavy). Most liquids look like liquid vinyl and quite heavy, not so with this. This is a light formula but the coverage is opaque (unlike the NARS pen, which was a sheer runny mess). I have oily lids and wipe down with baby oil for my "wash" so not much lasts, but this lasted fairly well throughout the evening. I wear it over just a wash of my BB Bone shimmer wash e/s, no base, and it stays on. After ~8 hours of wear, it begins to smear somewhat, but that was with oily lids +summer heat thrown into the mix. For daytime, I prefer my inexpensive Almay black liquid e/l, (which has a matter finish), but for a beautiful evening or when you want something with a touch more sheen, I'd highly recommend this. My fiancee commented on this, just how good it made my eyes look without looking too heavy or make-upy. I think the patent-finish allows me to wear a thicker line of back without the standard matte finish that most liquids have which can close up the eye. This is the closest I've come to finding my beloved Chanel la ligne cake in pen form. The felt tip itself it wide enough I can thicken out the line as I go but still thin enough at the tip that it's easy to start with a thin line (thinner than the Hourglass, but thicker than the Smashbox and Stila pens; Hourglass ran too easily w/o a base, the Smashbox and Stila, both waterproof, have that vinyl coverage that doesn't flatter my eyes). Dispersal of product is always even and consistent, so no blotchy lines. Highly backup worthy, but I resist since I'm not certain of the shelf life once opened and I've had poor luck in the past with pens and shelf life, but will try to update if anything out of the ordinary 3-6 mo. life depending on use.

Edit: Poor shelf life, only after about 2 mo use lost it's strength. Applied blotchy if at all. Would repurchase in a pinch but keeping an eye out for something better.

TRUE black liner, easy to use as a sharpie! You can dot it in between lashes or make a thin or thick line with ease.
It stays on, and the color stays true. Dries fast but not too fast. I'd but again in a heartbeat. Packaging is also super pretty, it's a chrome pen. The logo writing comes off easily but that doesn't bother me.