Shu Uemura Tsumori Chisato - Jupiter Brown

3.7

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this lippie because I fell in love with the packaging.

It is a pretty brownish gold shade. When I apply it to my lips, the color is not very flattering on me (pale Asian skin with warm undertones). When I apply it over Nivea A Kiss of SMoothness balm, it looks better- it looks very natural on my lips; like I put on gloss with not too much pigmentation. I don't like that I can feel the grains (glitters?) on my lips after I apply the lipstick but it's not too much that it bothers me.

I still love the packaging- I am on a search of a better shade of Shu Uemura so I can replace this lippie but still keep the packaging.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm absolutely in love with this lipstick right now.
When I first got it, I was like 'huh? brown??' and that sort of put me off. I was also planning on a wintery color, a red-brown with gold shimmer, since it came out as part of a holiday collection. The actual color of this lipstick, a subtle gold-flecked peachy-apricot really threw me! I let it drift to the back of my drawer, and didn't really think about it.
Come spring, and now summer, and I am utterly in love. I'm very fair (MAC NW15) and neutral to cool toned. Lip colors tend to show up fairly brightly on me. This lipstick is fairly well pigmented, but not completely opaque by any stretch of the imagination, and lets the natural pink of my lips show through, making it a light peachy pink with gold which is amazingly flattering, springy, summery, fun, not bright but just pretty. It's one of those colors that just picks up the whole face, especially if it's worn with a blush with a bit of peach in it as well (I've been wearing Shiseido color stick in Peach Flush). It's great for me because so many of the peach or coral lipsticks that are so popular right not are just far too bright and overwhelm my complexion, Jupiter Brown on the other hand, is gorgeous.
For the first hour that this lipstick is on, I find it moisturizing. Then it gradually changes and becomes a bit drying. I have very dry lips, and I've only tried one or two lipstick or gloss formulas that really keep my lips hydrated for the duration, so this is an acceptable level of moisturizing for me - I can't ask for much more, because it just doesn't exist. When it becomes drying I can either re-apply or add a bit of lip balm.
The golden glitter/shimmer gives it a tiny bit of grittyness, but it's something I'm happy to deal with for the gorgeous color. It's less gritty than, say, a YSL Golden Gloss, which I will also put up with happily. Visually, the shimmer is actually fairly subtle, as it's combined with a satin finish on the lips rather than a glossy one. I don't feel like a glitter ball, or like my lips are too bold and shiny or anything like that. I find the overall effect of the lipstick subtle, but visible and unique in my collection. I will definitely be wearing this as a spring/summer favorite!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

First off, I absolutely love this packaging. I love cats. There is a cute cat. You can see why I love it. But yes, it's really cute and I love taking it out to use in front of people. Anyways, onto the color. I like the way it looks on me, it's a somewhat orangey brown, which sounds really unattractive but looks nice on me. I don't love that it's slightly gritty in application because of the slight glitter I guess. This is a very expensive lipstick but I got it for free so I can't complain. Overall I think this lipstick will probably be more flattering on people with darker skin. I personally wouldn't repurchase however.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

In general, I was disappointed in Shu's holiday collection, and this lipstick was no exception. I expected a more brown-nude color, but it's a super sheer, shimmery, peach-apricot neutral. The color looked fine on me, but my lips are pigmented, and this provided just a light wash of color What I really disliked was the formula--it felt nice going on but eventually became gritty and drying. It's as drying as Chanel's Aqualumiere's for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The packaging is super cute and like below reviewer mentioned, it can be switched out with other Shu lippies. Just take off the cap and pull out the clear tube encasing the l/s bullet. VERY simple :D that made me super happy because I was sorta disappointed in JB's color itself.

In swatches and from reviews on the board and below, it seems to be more of a peachy kind of color, not brown. However when I received it and applied it, it is definitely a brown tinged nude peach, with waaaaay too much shimmer (at least for what I was expecting). I have a few other Shu l/s and none of them had shimmer/glitter so I wasn't expecting that here at all. The gold sheen made this l/s look very much like a slightly peached up bronze. NOT a look i was expecting or wanting! I think I would've liked this so much more if the gold shimmer isn't there (or not as dense or smaller particles). I do think if you have naturally pigmented lips (like rosy color) then this'll look great on you. Your lip pigment will probably show through and give a hint of pink/rose to the l/s's bronzed peach color i think.

I own a few other shu l/s and this definitely is grittier than others. You can see it on the surface after you've used it once and when you're applying it (you can feel the slight particles). However once it's on it's not very bothersome for me. the particles are small enough that it's easily ignored unless you're just very sensitive it.

Formula wise, it glides on smooth and long lasting as usual. Very hydrating. I usually pull out my shu l/s after a long day and my lips are dry from drinking tea and/or eating. it's definitely more moisturizing than any of my other l/s

Personally I'm okay with this l/s. The color isn't awful, but definitely not what I'm expecting. The packaging is super cute though, so it makes up for the slightly disappointing color (and the formula is amazing as usual).

for the record I'm NC25 asian with medium to pigmented lips and neutral warm (not super yellow).

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Originally, I bought Jupiter Brown for the packaging. If you're a fan of cute, you really can't ask for more than what Jupiter Brown offers. The special edition Tsumori Chisato packaging has a sparkly gold base and a glossy top printed with golden stars and paw prints and a winking cat peeking out at you. Apparently you can switch out the lipstick inside, so once you've run out of Jupiter Brown, you can still use the outside case for other Shu Uemura lipsticks. This makes the extra little boost in price definitely worth it.

Now that I've had Jupiter Brown for a couple months, I have fallen head over heels for the actual color as well. This isn't brown at all to me. Instead, it is a to-die-for, gorgeous rosey nude with a shimmering golden sheen, which makes Jupiter Brown look peachy in some lights. Complex, unique, stunning. I imagine this color would be flattering for a lot of skintones.

Other tidbits: This lipstick has a light citrusy scent. From what I've read on blogs, because of the golden shimmer, Jupiter Brown is a little grittier than other Shu Uemura lipsticks. Not having any others, I can't speak to that. However, compared to other brand lipsticks I've tried, Jupiter Brown glides on very smoothly. Also, it is non-drying with great lasting power... although I love pulling out the cutesy tube to re-apply.

Would I buy this product again? Yes, yes, a million times yes! Unfortunately, as a poor college student who is grudgingly trying to recognize her priorities, I do not have the luxury of buying 10 million backups of this LE shade. I will be heartbroken when I've used this up.

For reference, I am NC25, neutral leaning toward warm.