L'Oreal Paris Bare Naturale Gentle Mineral powder

3.3

on 2/22/2010 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I got this in #418 Buff Beige. I was looking for a powder to replace my HG Prescriptives in Y/O Gold 7 and I ran across this at my local drugstore. I thought the price was high for a drugstore brand, but I decided to give a whirl just in case. I DON'T like the flat paintbrush it comes with- it's coarse and doesn't blend in at all. I use my MAC brush in #188 instead and it's muuuch better. It's a bit lighter than I had expected but when i use this as a setting powder on top of the L'Oreal super blendable creamy makeup in N4 it sets it quite nicely.

So far it's a good pick so I can see myself repurchasing when I run out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great product at an excellent value. It provides great, even coverage and has a great range of colors to choose from. I personally use Buff Beige and it's just the right neutral tone without being too "pinky" or "yellowy." I'd say the coverage is light to moderate... Definitely DO NOT use the brush that comes with this product - I throw it in the trash as soon as I open the packaging because it is awkward, coarse, cheap, and ultimately bad for your face - especially if you have sensitive skin. I like to use a soft kabuki brush from Bare Escentuals or Ulta's professional line to apply this mineral powder. That way it's pretty easy to build and control the amount of coverage. This product is great for sensitive skin... I tried BE's new Matte powder foundation line and it made my normally clear skin break out into random dry, red patches. I switched back to Bare Naturale and my skin cleared right up - it's very gentle. It's also pretty convenient because it's designed as a pressed powder as opposed to loose which makes it easier to control the amount used and to apply on the go.

on 3/7/2010 3:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I thought i'd try this since I love the Bare Naturale Powdered Mineral Foundation, but I have always preferred pressed as opposed to loose. I bought it at 75% off (another reason I picked it up) which is good, since for drugstore, I find this quite high in price.
I first tried this as a powder foundation, and I did not like it. The first thing I noticed was that I had to swirl the brush for quite a while to get a normal amount of product. When I started to apply it, it seemed to "grab" wherever the brush first touched and not want to blend out. I had to use quite a bit, and when I finished, it looked pretty unnatural and emphasized pores.
Since I use powder foundation in place of pressed powder anyway, I attempted to use it to set my liquid foundation the next day which wasn't much better. I experienced the same "grabbing" effect, and it didn't seem to mattify or provide any coverage at all. It didn't work out and I had to finish with something else.
Overall, for the price and quality...i'd pass this up. The loose version is MUCH better, and for pressed, there are better values out there. The compact is cute, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.

I LOVE Bare Naturale. The first time I used it, I didn't do any research because at that time, I wasn't fiercely into makeup as I am now, so I just grabbed what looked good. Now, I'm going to be repurchsing it for the third time! It seriously DOES give you a natural look. If you don't believe so, you are using it incorrectly. It works great alone and over liquid. At first, I just used it by itself. No, it didn't stay too well, but primer would have easy fixed that. Over liquid foundation, it gives you the most flawless face EVER! A plus: it takes out redness pretty darn well! And, I found a drink for blemishes: stick your finger into the power and press it onto the blemish. It instantley covers it, making it seem almost invisable. If you don't buy it for yourself to try it out, I will!

For reference: I got it in Nude Beige. Unknown MAC color. Revlon Color Stay liquid foundation in Golden Beige (I think that's the name).

on 3/24/2010 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I absolutely loved the finish this product had on my face. It made my skin look absolutely flawless and beautiful. I used my kabuki brush, swirl it in the powder then buff it into my face. Unfortunately, after a few days of using this, I started breaking out in LOTS of little bumps, which was very unusual as I hardly ever get spots. I have since then stopped using this, and the spots have gone away. I wish this didn't make me break out, because it did make my skin look beautiful :(

on 5/5/2010 7:06:00 AM

I LOVE this product. The original was recommended to me by a youtube guru but here in Ireland you can only get the compact one. I bought this in Sun Beige for dirt cheap on Ebay.

I didnt think it would be great to be honest, as i have far from perfect skin. But i found it to be my HG now. I have small acne scars and this covers them really well, the coverage is brilliant. It even hides most small blemishes pretty well. It looks so natural, and my skin looks lovely and dewy. It can look a bit dry at first, but let it sink into your skin.

Lasting power is brilliant, i dont get oily with this, i only need to blot once during the work day, after about 5 or 6 hours. Then im good to go.

I love that its a compact, and has a mirror! Absolutely brilliant for on the go touch ups to!

Totally recommend it to everyone! great product :)

on 7/6/2010 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have only used this powder twice, but so far it seems to be working quite well for me. I initially wanted to buy another mineral powder as a cheap alternative to my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural, which I use for very light coverage, and mainly use for oil absorption. The mineral powders, I find, work extremely well for the latter, and therefore have pretty much worked themselves into my skincare regime. This Bare Naturale powder also has quite decent coverage for a powder! It reduces, really, a lot of redness on my face and evens and tones down all of the various shades. It doesn't cover darkness like under-eye circles or anywhere else on your face that may be particularly dark, but it really does help with the redness.

I have the powder in 420 Sun Beige. It matches my skin tone very well, and does look natural.

Of course the brush with it wasn't made to be a functional tool, I mean, it's like a really tiny sweep broom: very coarse, hard on skin, leaves little gouges in the product from how rough the bristles are, but it looks cute in the compact, so I just leave it there and use my e.l.f studio powder brush, which works magnificently. It actually picks up a little too much of this kind of powder, but I just dip the brush into the product with varied pressure for however much I want.

I'm not a fan of this packaging, though. I'd want to put a piece of tape around the lid and container, because it has a twist-based closure that is not at all secure on my product. I would definitely be cautious of tossing this into a bag, and that means I wouldn't. But the brush and packaging aside, this is actually a surprisingly good mineral powder! I'd even call it a light-coverage foundation.

*update - 7-7-10
I love this powder. I've been using it for the past week or so and it leaves such a smooth, flawless finish on my skin! It's even better than the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural! I don't know if it's because this L'Oreal powder is finer than the MAC mineral powder, but it works amazingly well- really, really well. It doesn't look flakey, chalky, dry, fake, it's just perfect. I will definitely be buying this again.

I have been using the L'Oreal Bare Natural loose mineral foundation for over a year. I bid on an auction on ebay and the seller sent me this instead. I was very angry because I did not think that it would have as much coverage. I was about to send the seller a nasty email when I decided to check the reviews on makeupalley.com. Most of the reviews were positive so it made me curious.

I decided to go ahead and try the powder and I was pleasantly surprised. I think this has better coverage then the loose powder. It also makes less mess. I think I will continue purchasing this product as long as it is available.

on 9/7/2010 10:22:00 AM

After months and months of trying to find the perfect foundation (liquid, powder or mineral, I tried them all) I found this! The perfect shade 418. I bought a few of them when they were on sale, I hit pan and went to buy more only find they are discontinued!!!! Very sad now I have to start the search to find another perfect make up. Any suggestions on a similiar product?

on 9/24/2010 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Edit: 11.29.11

I loved this foundation to death. If you don't have acne or extremely oily skin, and just want to even out your skin, this is the BEST mineral foundation available. I have tried Everyday Minerals, Bare Minerals, Physicians Formula... you name it. They don't compare to this at all.

My skin is getting oilier by the day, and this could no longer hold up. The shimmer from the Bismuth in it made me look incredibly gross. I really wish they would take out the shimmer. It's not noticeable until it's time to blot your face. Their setting powders have it too. The foundation would be 100% better matte, with matte setting powder.

For mineral foundations, the price is low and amount you get is way better than competition.